The Thai-Baht And The Future Of Farangs In Thailand

The Aussies are laughing ... laugh.png

No exchange issues there ... near an all time 10 year high against the Baht.

I think I responded to your post way back. But I just looked at a chart. If you think it's at a ten year high, look here:

Jimi007 ... sometimes you have to look past the waters' surface to see what really swims ...

post-104736-0-66902800-1362262436_thumb. . . post-104736-0-97353900-1362262437_thumb.

Your chart showing approx' 6 months .. The bigger picture 10 years worth of the exchange rate.

My comment was that the AUD is currently near an all time high.

It's within 10% of an all time high ... good enough for me.

Most normal bars BKK/Samui BT90 Singha/Chang £2.Not much different to UK prices?

It's often £3.50 a pint here now.

Just letting all those who've not returned to the mothership recently, it's getting very expensive here in the UK.

So all stop crying into your Chang.

The Aussies are laughing ... laugh.png

No exchange issues there ... near an all time 10 year high against the Baht.

I think I responded to your post way back. But I just looked at a chart. If you think it's at a ten year high, look here:

Jimi007 ... sometimes you have to look past the waters' surface to see what really swims ...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-03-01 at 11.21.20 PM.png . . attachicon.gifAUD vs THB.jpg

Your chart showing approx' 6 months .. The bigger picture 10 years worth of the exchange rate.

My comment was that the AUD is currently near an all time high.

It's within 10% of an all time high ... good enough for me.

I don't see much change for teh foreseeable future; I'm fairly confident in the

SC

• Like 1

In a word Ecomonic Equilibrium would correct the market.

You have stated in the OPs post that the that European Economies are declining and Asian ones are booming.

This is because the cost of living in an Asian Economy used to be cheaper than the cost of living in say UK, USA or Germany. As Asian countries grow they become by definition more developed. the more developed they are the higher the cost of living.

The higher the cost of living, the less competive they become and the faster they decline, with the exception of one country. . . China.

China is not a capitalist country and also has 1/6 of the worlds total population. In affect they are an entire market of their own, we have merely boosted their development, but in a country so vast and a population so huge, you would never see it become less competitive unless the costs of shipping were prohibitive.

As Thailand grows economically, so the does the counter balance of it becoming less competitive because of low earners. The system is self correcting.

We are around 3 years from the peak, the we shall see a slow decline. I expect the THB:GBP to be around 33THB to the £1 by the end of around 2016 and then hold for around 2 years then the Thais will do the only thing they can do. Devalue the THB as it not a reserve currency it will not only make everyone in Thailand feel richer but stimulate the tourist economy and XE rates.

Although please dont take my word for it, it could be sooner.

You have stated in the OPs post that the that European Economies are declining and Asian ones are booming.

This is because the cost of living in an Asian Economy used to be cheaper than the cost of living in say UK, USA or Germany. As Asian countries grow they become by definition more developed. the more developed they are the higher the cost of living.

The higher the cost of living, the less competive they become and the faster they decline, with the exception of one country. . . China.

China is not a capitalist country and also has 1/6 of the worlds total population. In affect they are an entire market of their own, we have merely boosted their development, but in a country so vast and a population so huge, you would never see it become less competitive unless the costs of shipping were prohibitive.

As Thailand grows economically, so the does the counter balance of it becoming less competitive because of low earners. The system is self correcting.

We are around 3 years from the peak, the we shall see a slow decline. I expect the THB:GBP to be around 33THB to the £1 by the end of around 2016 and then hold for around 2 years then the Thais will do the only thing they can do. Devalue the THB as it not a reserve currency it will not only make everyone in Thailand feel richer but stimulate the tourist economy and XE rates.

GB is not a major trading partner of Thailand why would they care about the pound?

GB is not a major trading partner of Thailand why would they care about the pound?

Thais hate to see grown farangs cry.

Devalue the THB as it not a reserve currency it will not only make
everyone in Thailand feel richer but stimulate the tourist economy and
XE rates.

i nearly peed in my pants laughing out loud! this beats even the bla-bla about

baby rhino heads mounted in a shop because their horns can't be used commercially.

Can't really see how people think Thailand is cheap these days?BT2,500-BT3,000 for 3* hotel BKK equates to £55-65 a night.BT180 for a beer in Soi Cowboy £3-80!Meal for 2 Pizza Hut or MK's BT900 or £20.Not particularly cheap in my book.

Expat-run hotel/bar/restaurant in central Pattaya = 850 baht/night (1100 baht over Xmas/New Year).

Local Thai air conditioned bistro-style restaurant up here in the sticks = 1200 baht for dinner for 6 people, including beers or buffet elsewhere for 99 baht per head.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

Cheers!

R21

Devalue the THB as it not a reserve currency it will not only make

everyone in Thailand feel richer but stimulate the tourist economy and

XE rates.

i nearly peed in my pants laughing out loud! this beats even the bla-bla about

baby rhino heads mounted in a shop because their horns can't be used commercially.

+1 - his Pattaya thread is 'special' too, but I thought Tommo's claim that everyone should have two year's 'supply' of the local currency if they are serious about living in Thailand was this weekend's classic. 'No worries, Tilac - I'll just rip down to the ATM and take out a couple of million to see us through this rough patch !'. Hilarious.

China is not a capitalist country

Best laugh I've had all week!!! I would guess you haven't spent much time in China, because it has got to be one of the most capitalistic, money-driven countries on the planet. The ethos of young Chinese is: get rich quick even if they have to destroy their own health, the country's environment and the social fabric in the process. Consumerist displays of conspicuous wealth symbols are everything in China these days.

• Like 1

In the case your describing, all the foreigners that are thinking of spending their Holiday in Thailand can't afford to come anymore. And I don't think that Thailand will let that happen as Thailand needs Tourists.

It's already happened and Thailand still has tourists.

There's a noticeable increase in tourism from non-Western countries. Loads of Indians, Chinese, Russians rockin' up at Swampy.

I guess the days when Westerners could regard Thailand as their own private Disneyland are coming to an abrupt and ignominious end with Tom, Dick and Harry's barstools being taken over by Raj, Xeng and Dmitri.

Except that Raj and Xeng don't even drink, so the barstools are only occupied by Dmitri, plus a specially reinforced barstool for Dmitri's 200 kg wife.

I think the young(er) russians are a breath of fresh air compared to the usual old punters,

and from what i have seen, the russian woman are also not obese generally,

i see some rather attractive here

Can't really see how people think Thailand is cheap these days?BT2,500-BT3,000 for 3* hotel BKK equates to £55-65 a night.BT180 for a beer in Soi Cowboy £3-80!Meal for 2 Pizza Hut or MK's BT900 or £20.Not particularly cheap in my book.

It is cheap.

You can find a 3* hotel in lower to mid-Sukhumvit for as little as 1500 baht if you open you eyes. There are untold places where a bottle of Chang or Singha will set you back 90 baht. Eat local food on a stall or even a small Thai restaurant where 1,000 will easily cover 4 adults.

Too many people rockin' up on the forum don't have a clue what they're talking about yet still feel compelled to belch out poorly thought-out opinions they've garnered while wearing blinkers.

• Like 1

THE PLAN,,

to allow the gbp to fall to the same level as the euro 40 bht ,

and then the rt hon _ _ _ _ PM who is shivering in his timbers ,

at the thought of allowing a vote , for the brits to leave the EEC ,

will conveniently twin the gbp and the euro . EEC problem solved ,

we are all in the <deleted> together , except of course, bankers and politicians.

restaurant farang boss man asks

do you really want salt and vinegar , on your chip ?

HP sauce please sir , ON YER Bike farang .

wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

In the case your describing, all the foreigners that are thinking of spending their Holiday in Thailand can't afford to come anymore. And I don't think that Thailand will let that happen as Thailand needs Tourists.

There's a noticeable increase in tourism from non-Western countries. Loads of Indians, Chinese, Russians rockin' up at Swampy.

I guess the days when Westerners could regard Thailand as their own private Disneyland are coming to an abrupt and ignominious end with Tom, Dick and Harry's barstools being taken over by Raj, Xeng and Dmitri.

Except that Raj and Xeng don't even drink, so the barstools are only occupied by Dmitri, plus a specially reinforced barstool for Dmitri's 200 kg wife.

That's <deleted>.

Tom, Dick and Harry's dime has been spent supping happy-hour cider with a mini-skirted walrus whispering "hansum man" platitudes to their wallets perched on their laps

Raj'll be ploughing dosh into a factory producing goods he'll export.

Dmitri's buying up condos and bars in Pattaya.

Xeng's over-paying for cheap tat and spending 50,000 baht shopping for status-enhancing brands at Siam Paragon.

Who's making more of a contribution to Thailand's economy, I wonder?

• Like 1

It is cheap.

You can find a 3* hotel in lower to mid-Sukhumvit for as little as 1500 baht if you open you eyes. There are untold places where a bottle of Chang or Singha will set you back 90 baht. Eat local food on a stall or even a small Thai restaurant where 1,000 will easily cover 4 adults.

Too many people rockin' up on the forum don't have a clue what they're talking about yet still feel compelled to belch out poorly thought-out opinions they've garnered while wearing blinkers.

my local largest bar 2 groups every night, extra large screen tv showing true footie every night,3 large tiger 179bht,3chang, classic, or export, large 160bht,any thai meal 69bht,many young serving wenches,chang lady leo lady,not bar girls.very friendly bar and people.love it

Been coming to Thailand 2-3 months every winter for the past fourteen years.In response to OP I feel Thailand is far more expensive this year than previous years.Yes I stay Isaan sometimes and agree its very cheap.But people who've worked hard in the UK for the rest of the year do like to stay in a fair standard of accommodation when they holiday in Thailand.From my experience I think with the 50% fall in £ against Bt plus Thai inflation I've calculated that it cost me double this winter to 5-6 years whether I stay Samui or BT1500 a night hotels in mid Sukumvit.Have spoken to many other Brits and they all agree Thailand is far more expensive than it used to be.

I think the young(er) russians are a breath of fresh air compared to the usual old punters,

and from what i have seen, the russian woman are also not obese generally,

i see some rather attractive here

The Russians have money and enjoy spending it.

Been coming to Thailand 2-3 months every winter for the past fourteen years.In response to OP I feel Thailand is far more expensive this year than previous years.Yes I stay Isaan sometimes and agree its very cheap.But people who've worked hard in the UK for the rest of the year do like to stay in a fair standard of accommodation when they holiday in Thailand.From my experience I think with the 50% fall in £ against Bt plus Thai inflation I've calculated that it cost me double this winter to 5-6 years whether I stay Samui or BT1500 a night hotels in mid Sukumvit.Have spoken to many other Brits and they all agree Thailand is far more expensive than it used to be.

Darlings, the invisible hand is doing its job. Higher demand = increased prices. Tourist numbers in millions. Note the resilience of the tourist business despite the shocks.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp

tourismEnd2012.gif

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 1

I must be the only one who takes advantage of Happy Hour, and is prepared to leave when that magical time comes to an end. OK - they caught me in Koh Chang and Hua Hin, but I would have paid anything to dodge the hangovers that followed those evenings. Nothing quite like going out with 10K baht and waking up with a solitary 10-baht coin ;)

Seriously, find a bar with few customers. smile and say 'Happy Hour ?' in your best 'just got off the plane' voice. The absolute worst that will happen is that you will get the 'Cheap Charlie' look - if you cant handle that, perhaps you might be happier paying 140 baht for a Chang.

I must be the only one who takes advantage of Happy Hour, and is prepared to leave when that magical time comes to an end. OK - they caught me in Koh Chang and Hua Hin, but I would have paid anything to dodge the hangovers that followed those evenings. Nothing quite like going out with 10K baht and waking up with a solitary 10-baht coin wink.png

Seriously, find a bar with few customers. smile and say 'Happy Hour ?' in your best 'just got off the plane' voice. The absolute worst that will happen is that you will get the 'Cheap Charlie' look - if you cant handle that, perhaps you might be happier paying 140 baht for a Chang.

GBP fear must have gripped the farang community if you have to drink alone.

I must be the only one who takes advantage of Happy Hour, and is prepared to leave when that magical time comes to an end. OK - they caught me in Koh Chang and Hua Hin, but I would have paid anything to dodge the hangovers that followed those evenings. Nothing quite like going out with 10K baht and waking up with a solitary 10-baht coin wink.png

GBP fear must have gripped the farang community if you have to drink alone.

I could stop any time I wanted to. Any way, drinking alone is a matter of choice. Mostly other people's choice.

Edited by StreetCowboy

That's <deleted>.

Tom, Dick and Harry's dime has been spent supping happy-hour cider with a mini-skirted walrus whispering "hansum man" platitudes to their wallets perched on their laps

Raj'll be ploughing dosh into a factory producing goods he'll export.

Dmitri's buying up condos and bars in Pattaya.

Xeng's over-paying for cheap tat and spending 50,000 baht shopping for status-enhancing brands at Siam Paragon.

Who's making more of a contribution to Thailand's economy, I wonder?

Love it

but Raj'ii will be sitting in a bar with two mates sharing a chang ,then a woman

Dimitri's on a package tour with the wife and kids all found ,and in Tesco buying cheap clothes

and Xeng's in a tour group walking down walking street following the tour guide holding up a rolled umbrela.cheesy.gif

i think thats closer to the truth.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1