Move To Thailand

Hi all i would like to move to thailand with my wife (thai) and our son (born in england) soon iam Disabled so i have a few questions and help advice if possible

1. can i still get dla in thailand ?

2. i need money in thai bank for visa,s how much ? and is it each month?

3. can i get thai driving lience ?

4. what about tablets iam on here can i get there ?

5. will i be able to get thia citernship?

6. any other things i need to get or know?

any help advice wiil be greatfully welcome

thanks very much to all

1. I don't know what dla is.
  2. Not to get a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate. For one-year extensions of stay from your local immigration office in Thailand, see paragraph 2.18 of Thai Police Order 777/2551 and Immigration Bureau Order 305/2551

3. Yes, if your disability and the effects of your medication allow you to drive.
  4. Practically all pharmaceutical products are available in Thailand. For specifics regarding your medication, please start a topic in the forum Health, Body and Medicine.
  5. Very unlikely, as employment in Thailand for a certain number of years at a certain salary level is an important criterion.
  6. If you haven't got a Thai birth certificate and Thai passport yet for your son from the Thai embassy in the UK, get it before you fly to Thailand.

Assuming DLA is Disabled Living Allowance then there is no DLA in Thailand (at least not that foreigners can get access to), you'll need to ask the UK benefits office if you can continue to claim your UK allowances.

If you have a UK licence should be no real problems getting a Thai one (subject to maestro's comments). What is your disability? Getting a vehicle adapted could be an issue :(

you need to study whats been going on with the currency,[see gbp.vs thai bht.in the banking section]and read up on living costs ect.some of the questions you ask are not goner help in anyway.

medication yes its available but at a cost as with all things nothing is free,unless you have a large[very] pot of gbp.my advice is stay put or it might end in tears.

Thailand has virtually zero facilities or infrastructure for disabled people anywhere, even in Bangkok, but you can forget about the provinces. How many people in wheelchairs do you see out and about in Thailand? Almost none, because it's just too difficult. In most cases, they are confined to their homes. In my opinion, being disabled you'd be much better off staying in England, despite the worse weather.

Any decent education you have to pay for, look at upto 5 or 6 baht over a full education that will be good as the UK if you need to go back , medication you have to pay for , if no generic is available then it could be expensive.

Even central modern Bangkok shopping areas are bad for wheelchairs ( If you need one) any where else and you will be severly limited on where you can go.

I think it is an income of 40,000 baht a month for a marriage visa or 400k in the bank for 3 months previous. Someone will have to confirm.

Thai citizenship is almost certainly not going to happen and would be a bad move if you get stuck for cash out here.

Whether you can still get DLA you will have to ask the UK benefits agency but I think it is no.

Plus as you ask about driving you will need to buy and adapt here. The price of cars is much more expensive than the UK. You'll need to research that. £12,000 to £20,000 for anything approaching half decent new. Second hand prices are not much better.

Edited by arthurwait

hi pete here is a few answers,

1 you cant get dla,and also if you are pension age you get the rate you are on now,no increase's at all.

2 money in the bank,you need an o-a visa to come into los then you can apply for exstension 1yr.cost 1,900bht.

marriage ex.you need to have 400,000bht in a thai bank for 3months,and retirement 800,000 same period.

you also have to report to imm.every 90 days.

3 driving licence 1yr.then change to a 5yr.

4 what medication are you on.i take 8 diff.tabs a day some are generics which are cheap[double the uk price] others are expensive.

5 thai citizenship forget it you have to have lived here quite a while.

everything costs money here.

You can get extension of stay with 40K income baht proven by income letter from UK embassy. They will also allow you to include savings and/or other income to reach a total of 480K baht that equals the 40K baht monthly income if your pension is not enough.