Leaving Truck For 1 Month. Will Alarm Flatten The Battery?

oldmajor

Good Day All,

I neeed to leave my pickup (new model) for one month without starting it. Do you think that the alarm will flatten the battery in that time? If I disconnect the battery will there be any issues with the alarm, electrics or stereo?

I used to leave a VW Passat at a friends house back in the UK many years ago . The alarm would flatten the battery, but on occaisions, it would unlock doors, open windows etc...

I could have a friend start and run the truck but would prefer not to bother people.

Thanks a lot

If me l would charge the battery with a mains fed charger before you go. smile.png It's the only way of fully charging a battery. Some rides might have a minute power drain somewhere that you don't know about that deadens the battery over a period of know usage .

If the battery is anywhere near two years old you might have a problem. sad.png

Get a solar charger and connect to the cigarette lighter socket,it will trickle charge the battery no problems

Does anybody have any experience with Solar Chargers? I imagine that there must be cut outs to prevent overcharging. Don't fancy coming back to see charred remains of my truck sad.png

New models have the habbit of being confused a lot after disconnecting the battery .

Memorys of systems use very small amounts of current thats why.

Best idea is park the car not to far from 220 volt power and buy a simple 12 volt loader and if needed an extensionlead.

Load it [with not to high voltage this is also bad for new models ] one hour when your back and it will start.

Edited by roadrunner300

On my Honda City when my wife didn't drive it, I always disconnected the battery when I went to work for 2 month. In order to get the radio working again I had to enter a code each time the battery was hooked back on.

The car always started right up when connecting the battery.

But okay this is an older car from 2006.

On a Honda PCX scooter the alarm will disconnect itself after 8 days left untouched.

If I was you I would ask your dealer.

If you're worried get a battery maintainer, either one you plug in or a solar one, the amount of juice used by the alarm is very small.

We left our Ranger for 4 months during the floods, it was a bit slow to turn over but started OK.

New models have the habbit of being confused a lot after disconnecting the battery .

Best idea is park the car not to far from 220 volt power and buy a simple 12 volt loader and if needed an extensionlead.

Load it [with not to high voltage this is also bad for new models ] one hour when your back and it will start.

That is what was worrying me, RR300. My old Passat would do all manner of strange things when the battery was discharging.

I think that your advice is the way to go, first time around at least.

I would still be very interested in hearing from anybody that has experience with the solar trickle chargers.

That is what was worrying me, RR300. My old Passat would do all manner of strange things when the battery was discharging.

I think that your advice is the way to go, first time around at least.

I would still be very interested in hearing from anybody that has experience with the solar trickle chargers.

I have some pritty strange story concerning this item but have to admitt this is about mercedes and not japanese brands.

Just a jumpstart with a new mercedes helping someone out or some times need one yourself with it .

After this the complete electronic system of the car was in trouble and no resetting by yourself was possible just a drive to the dealer

could help you out and depending on the coulance of the dealer you had to pay for this or not.

Depth Of Discharge (DOD)

At a given temperature and discharge rate, the amount of active chemicals transformed with each charge - discharge cycle will be proportional to the depth of discharge.

The relation between the cycle life and the depth of discharge appears to be logarithmic as shown in the graph below. In other words, the number of cycles yielded by a battery goes up exponentially the shallower the DOD. This holds for most cell chemistries.

(The curve just looks like a logarithmic curve however. It is actually a reciprocal curve drawn on logarithmic paper).

Depth of Discharge vs Cycle Life

dod.gif

The above graph was constructed for a Lead acid battery, but with different scaling factors, it is typical for all cell chemistries including Lithium-ion. This is because battery life depends on the total energy throughput that the active chemicals can tolerate. Ignoring other ageing effects, the total energy throughput is fixed so that one cycle of 100% DOD is roughly equivalent to 2 cycles at 50% DOD and 10 cycles at 10% DOD and 100 cycles at 1% DOD. See also Cycle Life which shows how cell performance diminishes due to deterioration of the active chemicals as the battery ages.

(http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm)

If you're worried get a battery maintainer, either one you plug in or a solar one, the amount of juice used by the alarm is very small.

We left our Ranger for 4 months during the floods, it was a bit slow to turn over but started OK.

I left my 20 rear old Toyota Corona LPG for nearly four months during the floods when I went back to the UK. It started immediately when I returned.