Why Farangs Cannot Buy Land In Thailand?

Sandman77

To "sell" that idea would mean some official would have to "comprehend" this simple idea. Consequently this would never happen as I don't believe any Thai official capable of that. Can't Understand Normal Thinking could be an acronym

Edited by bunta71
  • Like 1

W e own lots of land ,its in my wifes name ,no problem when you have a good marriage ,anyway it will all go to our son when we die anyway.

Or put it in your childs name and use a userfruct agreement. Totally legal and problem solved.
Can u give more detail on what a user fruit agreement is the pros and cons if u can thanks?
Proxy
Farang myth, before you even get into what a usufruct is, a child can not sign one. Jim

look what is happening to Australia Chinese are buying so much land there and all the farms and sending food back to china .. the government here want their land for their people

Who is selling their land to foreign interests; Australians, subject to FIRB. However, the smaller holdings acquisitions are not subject to oversight if the purchase is less than $230 million.

Estimates from ALWOS indicated that the total area of agricultural land in Australia on 31 December 2010 was 398 million hectares. Of this

total, 353 million hectares, or 89% of agricultural land in Australia, were entirely Australian owned, 45 million hectares had some level of foreign ownership and 0.3 million hectares had an unknown ownership status.

Overseas owned mining companies control 80% of Australia's resources sector. Australian value add companies in industries such as food processing are being acquired at a rapid rate refer:

http://www.dicksmithfoods.com.au/ownership-food-brands

look what is happening to Australia Chinese are buying so much land there and all the farms and sending food back to china .. the government here want their land for their people

And exactly how many % do the Chinese own in Australia before you get all worked up about them buying "so much land"?

Have read a couple of books on this issue (foreigner buying/owning land in SEA),

the books concluded that Thailand is the ONLY country in SEA where foreigners

actually can buy/own land in own name.

(Maybe the legislation in Malaysia changed after the books were published.)

The approach in LoS is;

bring in 40 mill baht to LoS

put the 40 mill to work in Thailand, shares, companies (maybe bonds? don't know) whatever

then you can get permission to buy/own 1 rai for house/living purposes.

My gf told me today , in thailand it's also possible to rent the land from another person! A very good idea!

Or, you can rent it from yourself.

EDIT: Now I feel bad, 'cause i just read where Sandman might not boast English as his mother tongue. Sorry, Sandman.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

aTomslife pretty much said what I believe. I just compare it to Canada which allowed foreigners to buy up vast areas of what was formerly public land. Now the foreigners are keeping third generation Canadians off what was formerly theirs to use. Not only that, but the foreign companies are given tax incentives to rape and pillage the Canadian resources. In the future, Canadians will have to buy back their own land at much inflated prices. Thailand has prevented that from happening by not allowing foreigners to to own the land. They can own the buildings built ON the land, but not the land itself. Consider the number of super wealthy people in this world who could easily purchase half of Thailand if it was allowed. Most of us only look no further than our own personal interests, but in the broader picture it jusr shows that Thailand is smarter.

When you say foreigners are buying up Canadians land do you mean native Canadians land or the land of the foreigners that came and 'bought up' the land from the Candadian natives?

Have read a couple of books on this issue (foreigner buying/owning land in SEA),

the books concluded that Thailand is the ONLY country in SEA where foreigners

actually can buy/own land in own name.

(Maybe the legislation in Malaysia changed after the books were published.)

The approach in LoS is;

bring in 40 mill baht to LoS

put the 40 mill to work in Thailand, shares, companies (maybe bonds? don't know) whatever

then you can get permission to buy/own 1 rai for house/living purposes.

Vietnam changed their land ownership laws a few years ago also.

aTomslife pretty much said what I believe. I just compare it to Canada which allowed foreigners to buy up vast areas of what was formerly public land. Now the foreigners are keeping third generation Canadians off what was formerly theirs to use. Not only that, but the foreign companies are given tax incentives to rape and pillage the Canadian resources. In the future, Canadians will have to buy back their own land at much inflated prices. Thailand has prevented that from happening by not allowing foreigners to to own the land. They can own the buildings built ON the land, but not the land itself. Consider the number of super wealthy people in this world who could easily purchase half of Thailand if it was allowed. Most of us only look no further than our own personal interests, but in the broader picture it jusr shows that Thailand is smarter.

When you say foreigners are buying up Canadians land do you mean native Canadians land or the land of the foreigners that came and 'bought up' the land from the Candadian natives?

I am talking about modern Canadian citizens who were born in Canada and pay taxes in Canada. I am not talking about First Nations aboriginals who have been given priority status in Canada and have added rights and privileges that white Canadians do not have. First Nations aboriginals and Inuit people never believed in actual land ownership in the same way that land ownership is understood today. They believed in the sharing of land for everyone. Of course that was only within tribal bands. It was quite alright to take from other native bands, and where only the strong survived. Taking slaves was an accepted practise.

When white man took over all the land in Canada it was set up as public land for everyone, and where small parcels of it could be sold to individuals. Of course, that has changed over the years and we've gone back to the old ways of the wealthy taking it all by back room dealing with government officials. There is a lot of data that can be researched on the subject but I won't go into it. If you are interested, look up how vast tracts of Canada's real estate was given to railway barons. Today it is oil and mineral companies, or logging interests.

But, this topic is about Thailand and we should stick with it. I didn't know that a foreigner could buy one rai of land in his own name if he contributed one and a third million dollars to the Thai economy. Very few of us have that kind of money to spend on a house lot in Thailand.

Farang myth, before you even get into what a usufruct is, a child can not sign one. Jim

But the child's guardian can.

Anyway as far as I understand a usefruct ends when you pass your use by date, which can been forwarded a little when neccessary.

• Like 1

But the child's guardian can.

Anyway as far as I understand a usefruct ends when you pass your use by date, which can been forwarded a little when neccessary.

You would need a court order, child's rights come first, not that simple.

People with them swear they are the best thing since sliced bread, they take one line out of a whole heap of laws and believe that is the only bit that counts.

If they were real won't Toyoda and other big players use them since a Juristic person can hold one [company, corporation]it would last until the company, corporation shut up shop.

Land code is very clear, an alien can not give money to a Thai national to buy land for the aliens use. Jim

• Like 2