Concern Over Illegal Disposal Of Waste

Lite Beer

HEALTH HAZARD
Concern over illegal disposal of waste
Thanapat Kitjakosol
The Nation on Sunday

30200654-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Contamination reported in 8 provinces; difficulty in rehabilitation of land feared

With industrial growth in eastern Thailand and regional economic development rising, extensive - and mostly illegal - disposal of toxic waste is causing great concern to environmentalists. They fear long-term difficulty in rehabilitating polluted land and health hazards that local residents are exposed to.

The concerns also involve the potential spread of hazards to consumers of drinking water and fruit coming out of certain areas.
newsjs
Somnuek Jongmeewasin, an independent researcher on the environment and community services, voiced fears about eight provinces - Chon Buri, Trat, Rayong and Chanthaburi in the East, along with Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Sa Kaew and Prachin Buri - where waste contamination has been witnessed or reported.

Contamination in Phanom Sarakham district in Chachoengsao is so serious that a public health notice warns residents in tambon Nong Nae against drinking phreatic ground water, but there are a number of plants producing bottled water, plus fruit plantations in this tambon.

"Where is this water distributed to? And who is drinking it or eating these fruits?" he asked.

There are 17 major industrial estates in the eight provinces, and another eight are due to relocate to these areas as a result of the massive flood in 2011, Somnuek said. He cast doubt on the new plants' treatment facilities for industrial discharges, whether normal or toxic, because of higher costs caused by the Bt300 daily minimum wage.

Sixty environmental groups or groups of affected residents have joined a network campaigning against illegal disposal of toxic waste. The network has also found another concern - companies subcontracted for the disposal or dumping of toxic wastes - that are frequently found to have illegally processed waste, or done it in violation of safety standards.

Another independent researcher, Phassawee Suwannarat, said the decentralisation of administration had caused lax enforcement of industrial safety standards, after local politicians took over from the central government and later imposed loose measures on waste disposal. Under a previous safety standard, strict measures and regulations were put in place in the national development plan, but these were rarely followed by local administrations.

A key condition under regulations is that waste must be mostly treated by factories, or within their compound, before the treated material can be transported for burial in well-entrenched dumpsites via a process that meets safety standards. But Phassawee said waste was hardly treated within compounds at present, before being transported to dumps. These sites were also dug illegally by disposal firms, and rarely checked, she said, in violation of safety standards.

The toxic discharges from substandard dumpsites into water sources, including the Bang Pakong River, were a much greater concern in the long run, she said.

In Ban Bung in Chon Buri, people living within a one-kilometre radius from a factory which discharged toxic chemicals had to be evacuated after nearby residents suffered rashes, headaches and dizziness. The elderly, pregnant women and sick people were the first to leave. One woman, aged 50, who asked not to be named, said she felt sorry for her 11-year-old niece, who had to put up with bad smells and headaches.

The woman said she planned to sell two vehicles her family owned and was prepared to leave the area, relying on the money from the two cars, if they can be sold.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-24

The majority of persons here in Thailand are all dumping -burning-very few are concerned, Why the big concern NOW ????? This country could be so much better if the population cared more. The mega dumping by companies has been going on for yonks, never too late to start, but where do you break the habit----dumping anything is normal. I am concerned that they have not been concerned before now.

• Like 2

The majority of persons here in Thailand are all dumping -burning-very few are concerned, Why the big concern NOW ????? This country could be so much better if the population cared more. The mega dumping by companies has been going on for yonks, never too late to start, but where do you break the habit----dumping anything is normal. I am concerned that they have not been concerned before now.

BANGKOK, Feb 4 – Cancer kills an average of seven Thai people every hour--and the number of new cancer patients has surged to over 100,000 people each year, according to the minister of public health. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/616741-cancer-is-top-killer-of-thais-among-all-diseases/?hl=%20cancer

Of course this has nothing to do With toxic waste being dumped indiscriminately.

• Like 1

The gernal population is becoming more aware, very rapidly, about the health of those subject/living with polution. They are the ones who bring the problems to the attention of the media, as the government agiencies who should be concerned/regulating/monitoring, seem, for a variety of reasons, to ignore the locals.

The standard answers include, we do not have the budget/personal needed, not our jurisdiction, we will appoint a committee to follow up, we inspected (via aircraft fly over) but did not see/smell anything unexpected, etc.

True. If you take a nap in the park you will wake up with rubbish dumped all over you. Every spare piece of ground is seen as a rubbish dump. We have rubbish collection twice a week but I still see some people walk aver to the local park or creek and dump thier rubbish and I just think why.

Err, excuse me, what global positioning reference for Asia, South east Asia are we referring to , the whole bloody place is a dumping ground , hate to say this , but quiet a few socio economic people on low income,have no pride in their country, on a positive point, they're too busy trying to survive.coffee1.gif

When you refer to "companies" it is important to differentiate between the multinationals subject to some form of regulation and scrutiny and Thai and SE Asian owned and operated companies. Foreign companies do have standards and do make an effort. They can make mistakes and be the victim of unscrupulous local contractors that they are obliged to use for political reasons, but they do make an effort to behave responsibly.

It starts at grass roots levels and goes all the way to industrial and corporates. So what does this government wish us to believe they are doing about it? And of course past governments have also done little, if nothing. It needs to start at labour level understanding don't trash Thailand and let that filter up to the arrogance at the top.

What makes it harder is that all the people dont really care, I am amazed at the stench locals live with caused by them throwing all their garbage in the street/waterways/gutters, they simply do not care. If the avewrage person doesnt care how in the hell are they supposed to get the companies to care, especially when a few baht in the right pocket makes it ok. Thailand is a dirty country, people dont care that they are destroying it by what they do, everything revolves around money and what ever is easiest to do, why put rubbish in a bin 30 feet away when you can throw it on the ground at your feet. Until the people start to realize they are destroying themselves by their actions nothing will get better, education in schools about health, cleanliness, personal hygeine etc would help but that would cost money. I am amazed that more tourists are not put off by the stench when they walk down the streets, every city smells the same, every waterway is foul, they are just full of garbage and crap, the water is black and putrid, the businesses just add toxic waste to it, the people are pretty pathetic really.

Put rubbish in a bin in this Country? What bin? How many rubbish bins do you actually see in Thailand? Do you ever see any in the outdoor markets? or even in the shopping malls?

....good luck....

...according to recent reports,,,,mercury poisoning is rampant....in lakes, rivers, ground water.....

...also...in 2002-2004...the whole rice crops were supposedly contaminated with cadmium.....

....as far as I know....none of the crops were disposed of...but rather put on the market...

...when 2/3 of the population condones corruption....even aspires to it......what do you expect....

What makes it harder is that all the people dont really care, I am amazed at the stench locals live with caused by them throwing all their garbage in the street/waterways/gutters, they simply do not care. If the avewrage person doesnt care how in the hell are they supposed to get the companies to care, especially when a few baht in the right pocket makes it ok. Thailand is a dirty country, people dont care that they are destroying it by what they do, everything revolves around money and what ever is easiest to do, why put rubbish in a bin 30 feet away when you can throw it on the ground at your feet. Until the people start to realize they are destroying themselves by their actions nothing will get better, education in schools about health, cleanliness, personal hygeine etc would help but that would cost money. I am amazed that more tourists are not put off by the stench when they walk down the streets, every city smells the same, every waterway is foul, they are just full of garbage and crap, the water is black and putrid, the businesses just add toxic waste to it, the people are pretty pathetic really.

Put rubbish in a bin in this Country? What bin? How many rubbish bins do you actually see in Thailand? Do you ever see any in the outdoor markets? or even in the shopping malls?

wE have bins in our local park but the problem is there are no instructions on the bins as to how to use them. Rubbish is scattered around the park

wE have bins in our local park but the problem is there are no instructions on the bins as to how to use them. Rubbish is scattered around the park

The dogs can't read.

In our willage in Isaan there is no garbage bin and no garbage trucks. Once in a while a buyer comes to buy cardbordpaper, glass, metal.

The things he don´t buy people have to burn, sadly.

In our willage in Isaan there is no garbage bin and no garbage trucks. Once in a while a buyer comes to buy cardbordpaper, glass, metal.

I live in a small village, but not in Isaan. There is a town about 15 kilos away, they have bins in some roads, my wife saves the rubbish in plastic bags and deposits it there the next time she goes.

We must live in the same village. Same thing here. Folks pile up garbage they can't sell and burn it every few days. I wake up choking on the smell of burning plastic bags.

I see rubbish bins in the markets, on the streets, in the parks, outside of the commercial centers and mini-marts. They are well used, contrary to false assertions otherwise. Yes undeniably there is a problem with litter-But it is a far cry from toxic industrial waste, which is the focus of this article. Your nasty comment about instructions on the rubbish bins was arrogant and not called for.

I see rubbish bins in the markets, on the streets, in the parks, outside of the commercial centers and mini-marts. They are well used, contrary to false assertions otherwise. Yes undeniably there is a problem with litter-But it is a far cry from toxic industrial waste, which is the focus of this article. Your nasty comment about instructions on the rubbish bins was arrogant and not called for.

I think you made a mistake here Techboy. Where and what did I say about instructions on litter bins?

I seem to have offended you and I apologise as it was not my intention. I was maybe mistaken and the bins in our local park are used and the rubbish is not piled up outside the bins. Again I am deeply sorry for causing you stress and for the sake I peace I will say I am wrong.

• Like 2

I

I have actually notice the same thing where bins are available to be used but ignored and rubbish dumped around the area of the bins or in streams. Either some people do not know what they are for or couldn't care less about the bins. No offence intended my friend just what I have seen. I have seen instructions on bins or above bins in Australia, ie; please drop your rubbish in here. I guess aussies are a little arrogant for putting these signs up. Edited by Kooweerup

Most Thai people do care for their country, the environment, and the natural beauty here. My observations, though limited by being a farang, are that a lot of people unknowingly do nasty things to the environment, but neighbors and passers-by would never chastise them or make a call to the authorities. This is mostly due to lack of knowledge of the effects of such acts.

As an example, when I lived in Buriram city, I daily walked by a building being painted. The smell of the paint was pungent, enough so that I'm sure it would not even be sold on the retail market in the west. Very high VOC. And what I saw each evening was one of the painters pouring leftover paint and solvents into the sewer grate.

But some Thais do care. My gf barked at me when I threw a butt into a sewer in Chiang Mai. She works for the municipality, and her friends have to clean out the crap in the sewers. Before anyone calls me a hypocrite, I throw my butts on the ground in the US. But I don't dump my used motor oil down the sewers any more.

An interesting Documentary on youtube "Toxic Thailand". Maybe the Enviomentalist's should just keep posting "Toxic" stuff/photos etc.on the Net , you never Know might hit a nerve one day.

Edited by Scott
formatting

If they had bins, then all the stray dogs would starve. I watch as the bagged trash is put on the street, a pack of strays show up and tear it apart, then another thai is employed to clean it up and put it back in the bags, AGAIN.

Many parts of Issan have become a giant garbage bin. Once can drive for miles, and the side of the road is littered with plastic bags as far as the eye can see. Obviously this not disturb the locals, or they would not engage in the heinous act of trashing their land. One of the issues is no trash pickup. How can a country that calls itself part of the developing world not have trash pickup in the provinces? People burn their trash, or bury it, or spread it around. The average consciousness of a Thai person when it comes to trash, waste, or pollution is quite lacking in awareness. Even the beaches in Samui are littered with trash, unless a nearby hotel has cleaned it up. The mayor does not seem to care enough to do something about it. And this is a rich tourist island. Maybe in another 30-50 years the Thai people with develop environmental awareness?