Bird Tables

osmar

Actually, it would be pointless setting up a bird-table. The only bird you will see is the Common Mynah which will eat all the food and will drive other birds away.

Spend the money on a set of binoculars.

Not around my house. Yes we have loads of Myhahs, we also have Greater Coucals, Ravens, Mourning doves and several other species I don't know the names of. Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

I very much doubt Greater Coucals will feed from a bird table, they are very clumsy flyers and mostly walk around or crash through the underbrush looking for food. Those aren't ravens, they're crows. You may get a few yellow-vented bulbuls, but, they're also quite common.

I would set up one of those bottles with sugar-water that have a red plastic flower that are setup to feed humming-birds.

This will attract flower-peckers and sun-birds.

I have observed approximately 50 different species of birds in my garden over the years, but, there has been a marked decrease in visiting birds. Mainly due to that vermin, the house-hold cat.

And for all you misguided cat-lovers, read this BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21236690

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

There is a great variety of birdlife in the area, even in backyard type environs. From the common sparrows and pigeons to the more exotic species, both large and small. There's a book I bought years ago in Bangkok: A Guide To The Birds Of Thailand, by Boonsong Lekagul & Phillip D. Round. I'm quite sure it's still available (B2S or Asia Books), and probably has been updated. It's very well organized and informative with nice illustrations.

And Jimi, the 'mourning doves' as you said are most likely spotted doves. Same same but different. Spotted doves have a darker ring around the neck with white spots.

Also found this website, good reference with some outstanding pics: http://www.pbase.com/peterericsson/birds_of_thailand&page=all

Enjoy.

• Like 1

There is a great variety of birdlife in the area, even in backyard type environs. From the common sparrows and pigeons to the more exotic species, both large and small. There's a book I bought years ago in Bangkok: A Guide To The Birds Of Thailand, by Boonsong Lekagul & Phillip D. Round. I'm quite sure it's still available (B2S or Asia Books), and probably has been updated. It's very well organized and informative with nice illustrations.

And Jimi, the 'mourning doves' as you said are most likely spotted doves. Same same but different. Spotted doves have a darker ring around the neck with white spots.

Also found this website, good reference with some outstanding pics: http://www.pbase.com/peterericsson/birds_of_thailand&page=all

Enjoy.

Thanks! I'm not a bird spotter, but I do enjoy watching their habits and trying to photograph them. I have a friend that is an avid spotter. He travels the world doing it. I did find one more that I've seen here over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ixobrychus_sinensis_-_Bueng_Boraphet.jpg or something similar?

A little off topic, but this thread reminds me of the movie Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation, with James Stewart. There are some very funny scenes about bird watching. Sorry, gave me a chuckle.

Back to the OPwai.gif

• Like 1

A little off topic, but this thread reminds me of the movie Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation, with James Stewart. There are some very funny scenes about bird watching. Sorry, gave me a chuckle.

Back to the OP:wai:

LOL! I just watched that movie yet again last week! Loved the scene when the bathroom was overheating!