Cheap Charlie Stories

britgent

That is a pretty good list, Yo Sup. I've always followed those basic practises and the times I didn't I often learned to regret. However, I like good quality stuff and I don't cut corners if I want something I know I'll enjoy. That is why I've always had good equipment that I use all the time. Most of it I've had for years. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for cameras and computers. They go out of date and I find myself up grading every couple of years when the need arrises. Unlike most women, I don't have a closet full of clothes, but the stuff I have is practical and good quality.

• Like 1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember my first trip to Thailand many years ago. I was buying a pair of jeans and haggling with the seller trying to get 10baht off the price. My mate said 'you do realise that you are haggling over about 30 cents don't you?'

He was right and I realised it just wasn't worth my time or effort and that the 10 baht meant a whole lot more to the seller than it did to me. Lesson learnt 1st day in Thailand. Don't get me wrong, if something is clearly over priced i will either get a fair price or not buy. I just can't be bother haggling over pennies.

Winning meant more to the seller, since you are a farang...

That is a pretty good list, Yo Sup. I've always followed those basic practises and the times I didn't I often learned to regret. However, I like good quality stuff and I don't cut corners if I want something I know I'll enjoy. That is why I've always had good equipment that I use all the time. Most of it I've had for years. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for cameras and computers. They go out of date and I find myself up grading every couple of years when the need arrises. Unlike most women, I don't have a closet full of clothes, but the stuff I have is practical and good quality.

Thank you Rene. The way I see it is there are things you spend money on, and places you look for value. The basic list; Lawyers, doctors, dentists, tires, health insurance, mattresses, sheets, pillows, shoes, clothes and good food.

I understand the computer part well, since my hard drive is full, I'm teetering on the edge of a purchase that I don't want. I like Asus computers, BTW, and Sony cameras.

So we were getting the train up to Aberdeen, and the Clippie came round as we were going over the Forth Bridge (actually, the first...)

"Tickets, please"

"There ye go"

"Here's mine"

"Sorry, sir, this is a tuppence platform ticket not good for travel, I'm going to have to ask you to leave at the next station, and make your way to the vestibule"

"Ah've goat a ticket an' Ah'm goi' ta travel"

"In that case, sir, I'm going to have to ask you to pay the full fare to the next station, which is a pound and ten shillings"

Well at the mention of money a fracas ensued, and in frustration the Clippie moved to throw the gentleman's suitcase out the window

"Crivvens, Man! First ye try and rob me, and then ye threaten tae droon ma wee boy!"

You really have a special way of putting things in perspectivewai.gif .

Thank you Rene. The way I see it is there are things you spend money on, and places you look for value. The basic list; Lawyers, doctors, dentists, tires, health insurance, mattresses, sheets, pillows, shoes, clothes and good food.

I understand the computer part well, since my hard drive is full, I'm teetering on the edge of a purchase that I don't want. I like Asus computers, BTW, and Sony cameras.

Great tutorial there Yu Sup.

Can i add that within every electrical appliance a 'set limited lifetime span' has been manufacturely implemented to induce buying the latest version. This has all been pre programmed.

There was a moment in Thailand once between several members on here....which was resolved after a pregnant pause by one of our fine Scottish folk.

Twas a mere misunderstanding I am sure on behalf of the poor drunk English person struggling to count.....laugh.png

Great Cheap Charlie story :

I once knew a few grumpy old gits who spent all day moaning and complaining on a forum with like minded people about double pricing,police fines,tipping waiters/bell boys,too high bar fines,local beer prices,paying their rented girlfriend over the odds...

It was hilarious!

Aah the ministry again. Thanks for your

Great Cheap Charlie story :

I once knew a few grumpy old gits who spent all day moaning and complaining on a forum with like minded people about double pricing,police fines,tipping waiters/bell boys,too high bar fines,local beer prices,paying their rented girlfriend over the odds...

It was hilarious!

Aah the ministry again. Thanks for your

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was his output.

I remember my first trip to Thailand many years ago. I was buying a pair of jeans and haggling with the seller trying to get 10baht off the price. My mate said 'you do realise that you are haggling over about 30 cents don't you?'

He was right and I realised it just wasn't worth my time or effort and that the 10 baht meant a whole lot more to the seller than it did to me. Lesson learnt 1st day in Thailand. Don't get me wrong, if something is clearly over priced i will either get a fair price or not buy. I just can't be bother haggling over pennies.

Winning meant more to the seller, since you are a farang...

Not wasting time over pennys meant more to me

Yes I am one of the cheap types, rent a house outside the main centers, 3000B per month, don't own a car, don't smoke or drink, only buy what I need (most of the time) eat either at home or at small Thai places.

And what has it got me?

Well since I have been in Thailand (7years) I have traveled down south, all over Issan, a couple of trips to Kanchanburi and the Burma border.

I have done a trip to Singapore, 2 to Lao, one to Cambodia (not visa runs) 2 to NZ and one to OZ.

Later this year after I have spent 3 weeks taking some friends from NZ round the country I have a trip to the UK for a month planned (go down the pound).

My choice; economy of every day living = travel.

• Like 1

There is a local Scotsman whose girlfriend is fond of telling a little story about how ... frugal he is. Seems after a bout of the lovemaking he carefully removes the condom, rinses it out and stores it in a shot of Sangsom ready for the next time. Upon the next round of love making she reveals that he will remove the condom from the shot glass, rinse it off and so as to not waste the booze drinks the Sangsom.

There is a local Scotsman whose girlfriend is fond of telling a little story about how ... frugal he is. Seems after a bout of the lovemaking he carefully removes the condom, rinses it out and stores it in a shot of Sangsom ready for the next time. Upon the next round of love making she reveals that he will remove the condom from the shot glass, rinse it off and so as to not waste the booze drinks the Sangsom.

Yes he does the same thing with me but uses Gordon's Gin instead.

whistling.gif Quite a few tears back I knew this Thai/Chinese whose family owned a small guesthouse.

There were two room sizes, a single bed room and a double bed room.

Rates were $12 a night for a single bed room, and $24 a night for a double bed room.

British guy showed up, no reservation, wanting a single room. However all the single rooms were full, and only double rooms were left.

The differences in the two room rates were:

A double size bed versus a single bed, a larger refrigerator in the double room, double rooms had a desk and a table whereas a single room had only a desk and a chair, the double room had two sets of bath towels, and the double room was larger.

British guy wanted to pay only the single room rate for a double and he promised my friend the guesthouse owner that for the single rate he would:

1. Sleep only on one side of the double bed using only one pillow,

2. Only use half the refrigerator.

3. Only use one set of bath/face towels.

4, Not use the table in the room only the desk and chair.

5. And only walk on one side of the larger room.

He didn't get the room, however.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif Quite a few tears back I knew this Thai/Chinese whose family owned a small guesthouse.

Rates were $12 a night for a single bed room, and $24 a night for a double bed room.

British guy showed up, no reservation, wanting a single room. However all the single rooms were full, and only double rooms were left.

A double size bed versus a single bed, a larger refrigerator in the double room, double rooms had a desk and a table whereas a single room had only a desk and a chair, the double room had two sets of bath towels, and the double room was larger.

British guy wanted to pay only the single room rate for a double and he promised my friend the guesthouse owner that for the single rate he would:

rolleyes.gif

Was he wearing a kilt?

rolleyes.gif

Was he wearing a kilt?

And did the hotel manage to rent out all their rooms that night?

I had a friend and his wife come to visit from overseas. We picked them up from the hotel and drove down to Samet.

When selecting a place to stay the couple argued for half an hour about weather to get a fan room or air conditioning.. the difference 300 baht per night.

Next day when we decided on a beach to stay on for the day the four of us parked ourselves on the beach chairs.

when the lady came around to collect the 30 baht each per beach chair, the visiting couple sprung up out of their chairs and put their sarongs on the ground instead.. to save the 60 baht charge for the day. The thai ppl around us were bad mouthing my friend and his wife as cheap.

Night time comes, time to get some cheap crap whiskey.. mom and pop shop, sang som 130 baht. try 7/11 ...140 baht for same bottle.. back to mom and pop store to buy whiskey..

Im filling up the car at the petrol station.. guest asks how many kilometres to samet, how big fuel tank in car and engine capacity of car and procedes to calculate his contribution to the fuel bill.

never paid tolls either i might add.

i dont mind paying out of the goodness of my heart, but when your picking up the stingieness of another persons cheap charlie antics.. i hope they never come back

I had a friend and his wife come to visit from overseas. We picked them up from the hotel and drove down to Samet.

When selecting a place to stay the couple argued for half an hour about weather to get a fan room or air conditioning.. the difference 300 baht per night.

Next day when we decided on a beach to stay on for the day the four of us parked ourselves on the beach chairs.

when the lady came around to collect the 30 baht each per beach chair, the visiting couple sprung up out of their chairs and put their sarongs on the ground instead.. to save the 60 baht charge for the day. The thai ppl around us were bad mouthing my friend and his wife as cheap.

Night time comes, time to get some cheap crap whiskey.. mom and pop shop, sang som 130 baht. try 7/11 ...140 baht for same bottle.. back to mom and pop store to buy whiskey..

Im filling up the car at the petrol station.. guest asks how many kilometres to samet, how big fuel tank in car and engine capacity of car and procedes to calculate his contribution to the fuel bill.

never paid tolls either i might add.

i dont mind paying out of the goodness of my heart, but when your picking up the stingieness of another persons cheap charlie antics.. i hope they never come back

How long have you known 'The Blether'?

Here in Chiang Mai we had a thread about where to cash in Satongs. The guy was serious.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Mine are in a jar and will be left on the desk when I leave in a month... along with whatever other change I have.

A farang regularly came to my bar and complained he could get a large Chang from the 7:11 down the road for 35 Baht and why did I charge 60.

He couldn't understand the sport on the big screen, the pool, and the ice for his beer wasn't free!!

Also had one who came in , drunk 3/4 of his beer then said it was off and refused to pay....he never came back either....can't think whywhistling.gif

Finally when I lived in Phuket I was at my favourite seafood restaurant and heard a group of backpackers....here is how it went....

1st backpacker....I fancy a beer with dinner

2nd. Backpacker ( female arm wrestler i think)....If you have a beer now thats your breakfast money gone.so no breakfast ...and we will order one rice and share it between the three of us.... then we can order two dishes tommorow....sick.gif

Was at my local watering hole last night talking to a friend.

Well sat around the bar there are many nice falang but one guy sat there just trying to hide his contempt for fellow falang whilst sipping his Leo.

The only time I saw him acknowledge anyone's existence is when I got a round in and he was all of a sudden looking over and smiling. Some people are just leeches.

A farang regularly came to my bar and complained he could get a large Chang from the 7:11 down the road for 35 Baht and why did I charge 60.

He couldn't understand the sport on the big screen, the pool, and the ice for his beer wasn't free!!

Also had one who came in , drunk 3/4 of his beer then said it was off and refused to pay....he never came back either....can't think why

Finally when I lived in Phuket I was at my favourite seafood restaurant and heard a group of backpackers....here is how it went....

1st backpacker....I fancy a beer with dinner

2nd. Backpacker ( female arm wrestler i think)....If you have a beer now thats your breakfast money gone.so no breakfast ...and we will order one rice and share it between the three of us.... then we can order two dishes tommorow....

Probably no travel insurance.

Tax payers picking up the bill when they get in trouble

Balloon Party Free Food Chasers

Carries Alcohol (Sang Som or other cheap drinks) in Whiskey Flask in pocket and orders a cheap water or soda coke etc. with ice.

Same as Above, but sits on Beach Road with mixer bought at 7-11 enjoying the music in the air and ambiance of the the town, and looking for the 300 baht special massage.

Edited by KimoMax