Swift/swallow Bird At Big C Junction Highway 108 To Hang Dong

Gladiator

Hi,

Not sure as to how many of you travel down the Highway 108 ever day - but every day, for the last few years, I have see one of these birds (sorry do not know the Thai name) flying, fast and low, over the traffic waiting at the red light at the BIG C junction.

I am curious if anyone else has seen this and if anyone would know the reason.

Thanks in advance.

Gladiator

They are on their holidays from China, they come every year around this time ,as its

warmer here and plenty of insects for them to feed on, also there used to be quite a

few Wagtails, and even Beeeaters, but don't see so many now.

Regards Worgeordie

They are on their holidays from China, they come every year around this time ,as its

warmer here and plenty of insects for them to feed on, also there used to be quite a

Regards Worgeordie

Many thanks....

Regards Worgeordie

3 eee's in a row,unusual.

We have a very large Bodhi tree in our garden which seems to be a stopping off point for a variety of birds before their bi annual onward journey, currently the clans are gathering!

I've often wondered about these crazy birds and have studied them while waiting at several intersections, not just the one mentioned. My first thought was that they were feeding on insects, but what insects at the intersections? Maybe they like exhaust fumes??

• Like 1

Regards Worgeordie

3 eee's in a row,unusual.

We have a very large Bodhi tree in our garden which seems to be a stopping off point for a variety of birds before their bi annual onward journey, currently the clans are gathering!

Only on the Chiang Mai forum are the smallest mistakes spotted,AND commented on,if I did not make mistakes I would be perfect, anyone want a job as a proof reader,Thailand ? regards Worgeordie

quite a few hirundine species to be found in Thailand.. and yes, they are (more than likely) Barn Swallows you've seen. Drive along the canal road and you may also find the rarer Wire-tailed Swallows, with their chestnut coloured heads, this bird is very much a northern only species.

• Like 1

Dozens of them every year at the Meechok Plaza intersection on the 1001. I assumed the rising heat from idling engines brought insects in which meant the birds followed. Used to watch their cousins in Scotland in summer flying at very high speed though old window openings in an old farmhouse barn - and in the twinkling of an eye fly straight back out through the same aperture - and at the same speed - about 80mph it seemed.