Ikea Withdraws Horse Meatballs: Thailand

webfact

Why would they take it out, and whats with the bad image of horsemeat.

Horsemeat tasts great and I have been trying to find a nice cut of horse steak or some leg for my stew.

Cant find it here though, due to the bad image.

Horse meat stew, with a little mustard, oohh heaven1!!!

ps. horse meat is not much sold anywhere as in most european countries it is too expensive too breed, and therefore horses only egt slaughtered after they suffer from a broken leg for example, as horses almost never recover from tha

PS. Country Animals Slaughtered, China 1,700,000 Mexico 626,000 Kazakhstan 340,000 Mongolia 310,000 Argentina 255,000 Italy 213,000 Brazil 162,000 Kyrgyzstan 150,000 Worldwide

Totals 4,727,829 Slaughtered and sold per year.

Horse meat production in Europe, by ton.

Poland 18,000 Italy 16,000 Romania 14,000 France 7,500 Spain 5,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

Edited by chiangmaikelly

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they take it out, and whats with the bad image of horsemeat.

Horsemeat tasts great and I have been trying to find a nice cut of horse steak or some leg for my stew.

Cant find it here though, due to the bad image.

Horse meat stew, with a little mustard, oohh heaven1!!!

ps. horse meat is not much sold anywhere as in most european countries it is too expensive too breed, and therefore horses only egt slaughtered after they suffer from a broken leg for example, as horses almost never recover from that

I never knew that.

Creates a dilemma though. On one hand, feral animals have to be removed. On the other, the industry needs them there to stay in business.

This is not entirely correct as many thousands of wild horses are rounded up in Queensland, sent to the knackery at Caboolture (SE Qld) killed , dressed and sent in frozen packs to Europe where there is a big demand for horsemeat. And please note, these are wild horses so do NOT contain antibotics or hormones. This process has a very high hygiene standard and any injured or diseased beast is rejected.

Not sure how horse meat can be cheaper than beef and therefore profitable to mislabel as such.

What may be happening is that the horse meat being mislabelled as beef and entering the food chain comes from old sick horses of dubious quality that were due for the knackers yard.

Edited by katana

Not sure how horse meat can be cheaper than beef and therefore profitable to mislabel as such.

What may be happening is that the horse meat being mislabelled as beef and entering the food chain comes from old sick horses of dubious quality that were due for the knackers yard.

About 5 million horses were slaughtered last year for food. You can either look above a couple of posts or google horse meat.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Interesting article on who eats horse meat.

Because horses have played a big part in the history of civilized society as both work animals and pets, many cultures consider it taboo to even consider eating them. Americans, for example, will not entertain the idea of eating horsemeat. But in South America, China, Japan, and many European countries including Italy, and Switzerland, horsemeat is just as common on the dinner table as other meats. The eight most populous countries in the world consume almost 5 million horses each year.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/who-eats-horse-meat.html

Same as cows in India, but the rest of the world has no problems eating them.

Many Asian countries eat dogs and rats and their meat is more expensive than beef or pork.

Interesting article on who eats horse meat.

Because horses have played a big part in the history of civilized society as both work animals and pets, many cultures consider it taboo to even consider eating them. Americans, for example, will not entertain the idea of eating horsemeat. But in South America, China, Japan, and many European countries including Italy, and Switzerland, horsemeat is just as common on the dinner table as other meats. The eight most populous countries in the world consume almost 5 million horses each year.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/who-eats-horse-meat.html

Just because something is written on the internet doesn't make it true.

It is perfectly legal to sell horsemeat in America as long as it is labeled as such and comes from a slaughterhouse that meets USDA requirements. George Bush effectively ended Americans' opportunity to eat horsemeat when he eliminated funding for the inspections. Obama just reinstated the funding. (So who is the good President and who is bad?)

M Wells, one of the top restaurants in NYC, thought they found a way around the ban on meat not inspected by USDA and found many willing customers for their horsemeat dishes including horse tartare.

I don't care about hating GB or loving BO, who is good or bad. Nothing to do with this tread. I just posted the link for members to read. It is an interesting article and very informative. Please don't take offence so easily. Have a couple of Leos and chill.

You missed the point entirely. You're posting opinion as fact. I'm not the one offended. Sorry.

Dont waste them; send the stock to Isaan and they can mix in some cockroaches and other bugs..........

Do you think they eat cockroaches in Issan?

In 1972 and '73 they did. I saw Issan people doing it. I also found a few in my noodle soup along with the flies, beetles, ants, hair, and most likely a lot of other unseen stuff and tossed them on the floor. I got used to finding roaches and other stuff in the soup and throwing it on the floor.

Edited by radiochaser

A roundup of the latest comments on this topic( apologies for any repeated from previous posts)

o I’m so hungry, I could eat a horse.....I guess Ikea just listened.

o Anyone want meatballs from
Ikea? Yay or neigh?

o Not entirely sure how Ikea are going to get over this hurdle.

o Waitress in Ikea asked if I wanted anything on my meatballs……..so
I had a £5 each way bet!

o Had some meatballs from Ikea for my tea last night.... I still
have a bit between my teeth.

o A woman has been taken into hospital after eating horse meat meatballs
from Ikea. Her condition is said to be stable.

o Ikea are now testing all their vegetarian meatballs for traces
of unicorn.

o I’ve just checked the Ikea meatballs in my freezer...AND THEY’RE OFF.

o Ikea now forced to deny presence of zebra in meatballs, as
shoppers confuse barcodes for serving suggestions.

o Said to the missus, “These Ikea meatballs given me terrible
trots.

o To beef or not to beef. That is equestrian.

o A cow walks into a bar. Barman says, “Why the long face?”. Cow
says “Illegal ingredients, coming over here stealing our jobs!”

o I hear the smaller version of those Ikea meatballs make
great horse d’oeuvres.

These Ikea meatballs jokes are going on a bit. Talk about
flogging a dead….

And last but not least……

Have you tried Ikea meat Balls? - They’re the dogs
<deleted>!!

• Like 1

Back in the old country (Germany, that is!) I had horse- meat several times. It is absolutely delicious!

So why actually the big fuss about it?

People eat bugs in Thailand. Do you really think a bug restaurant would go over big in Germany? No? Well that's the reason some people are upset about horse meat. Not everyone has the same experiences as the old country.

Don't know what all the fuss is about....I fed my dog horse meat for years.......didn't have to go to a big flash store to buy it either!

I would have thought it was obvious - whether or not you eat horse meat, the customer is entitled to KNOW if this is included in the product.

for an idea of how "processed opur "meat" can be check out this photo of the "chicken" used in fast foot etc....tumblr_l9ufbaij3b1qdvsdn.jpg

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a waste.

Horse meat; perfectly safe maybe, but keeping it from "galloping" off your plate is the challenge.

Seriously though, Australian Kangaroo is great and available in supermarkets.

(if youcan stop it hopping away. I'm sorry -- couldn't resist it) rolleyes.gif

Back in the old country (Germany, that is!) I had horse- meat several times. It is absolutely delicious!

People eat bugs in Thailand. Do you really think a bug restaurant would go over big in Germany? No? Well that's the reason some people are upset about horse meat. Not everyone has the same experiences as the old country.

...and as usual: you are way besides the point!

its about time people grew up. No one wants to see the inside of a slaughter house but we happily chomp our way through animals with faces.

meat is meat and any kind is food for a meat eater. guinea pigs, rats dogs cats goats horses monkeys deer antelope birds etc which one tastes best?

Here we are with a world foodshortage and folk want to force their own criteria on other people. selfish self centred ignorance.The best quote above was from the person who suspected their wooden table was made out of cardboard. yep.

Welcome to the real world where we want cheaper but are not prepared to compromise quality; its a perpetual fight to give us what we want but cheaper and getting us to accept it......................

In Thailand they don't eat pigeon. They think they are dirty birds and would prefer rat anyday.....

Your culture horse eating is OK mine it is not.

Perfectly safe to eat, just mis-labelled. What a waste.

Horse meat; perfectly safe maybe, but keeping it from "galloping" off your plate is the challenge.

Seriously though, Australian Kangaroo is great and available in supermarkets.

(if youcan stop it hopping away. I'm sorry -- couldn't resist it) rolleyes.gif

Safe? How can we be sure?

Meat killed in abattoirs is killed in conditions regulated for human consumption. If other meat enters the product from an unknown source, how can the consumer be sure that it is from an appropriate source? As it has been added secretively there is no way of knowing how hygienic (or humane) this source of meat is.

Roo meat is widely sold in Oz, but it hasn't challenged the market for domesticated animal meat in any significant way - it is largely a speciality or curiosity. However it is sold as "Roo meat" not as Beef or Chicken or any other name.........or is it????????. Next time you have a 4 and 20, check out the DNA!!!

Edited by wilcopops

THere are sound reasons for eating the domesticated animals we eat. Over thousands of years in various environments they have proved to be the best and most productive way acre for acre of producing protein from plants that we can eat. They are relatively easy to mange and bred to increase in size or weight quickest and in a cost effective way.

its about time people grew up. No one wants to see the inside of a slaughter house but we happily chomp our way through animals with faces.

meat is meat and any kind is food for a meat eater. guinea pigs, rats dogs cats goats horses monkeys deer antelope birds etc which one tastes best?

Here we are with a world foodshortage and folk want to force their own criteria on other people. selfish self centred ignorance.The best quote above was from the person who suspected their wooden table was made out of cardboard. yep.

Welcome to the real world where we want cheaper but are not prepared to compromise quality; its a perpetual fight to give us what we want but cheaper and getting us to accept it......................

In Thailand they don't eat pigeon. They think they are dirty birds and would prefer rat anyday.....

I think "grown ups" are those who understand fully how and why we have various domesticated animals that we principally rely on for protein.....and why meat isn't just any meat.

no way are long-term food shortages ever going to be solved by simply eating different or wider range of animals. they all have to be fed.

acre for acre the most productive way of getting protein out of the land is to grow beans..........

As for pigeon and rat.

No-one in their right mind would eat city pigeons unless they were in a siege situation any more than they would eat town rats. "Noo-Na are farm rats they live in the paddies, and at home I eat wood-pigeon that has grown fat on the wheat fields. We even had a dovecote.

PS - I've eaten horse meat in Belgium and Italy where it was sold to me as horse.....well usually anyway... as one restauranteur in Gent put it

"and "other" meats"

"you mean horse?"

"Yes, is that OK? - you are English?" (Yes it was and I'm not)

Edited by wilcopops

If you are from the US ( Iam never sure with your claims, there are so many out there...), it is your culture, too.

By the way, my point was: a) meatballs! Minced meat, not able to see the difference..maybe (I doubt) tasting it! Your example: beetles compared to ...what...sausages? Now figure for yourself! b ) is there a religion, that prohibits horse- meat? Pork, I know! Beef , I know! Horse? Never heard of one! c) with the quality of pork and the (alleged) much better quality of horse (no mass- production = no use of harmful chemicals like anti- biotics...what is so bad about mixing in horse- meat! I understand, that is should be stated...but my question remains: what is so bad about it, that it has to be taken of? Just because little Lisa is crying over Black Beauty?

If you are from the US ( Iam never sure with your claims, there are so many out there...), it is your culture, too.

By the way, my point was: a) meatballs! Minced meat, not able to see the difference..maybe (I doubt) tasting it! Your example: beetles compared to ...what...sausages? Now figure for yourself! b ) is there a religion, that prohibits horse- meat? Pork, I know! Beef , I know! Horse? Never heard of one! c) with the quality of pork and the (alleged) much better quality of horse (no mass- production = no use of harmful chemicals like anti- biotics...what is so bad about mixing in horse- meat! I understand, that is should be stated...but my question remains: what is so bad about it, that it has to be taken of? Just because little Lisa is crying over Black Beauty?

I'm from the US and I have never eaten horse meet to my knowledge but I see nothing wrong with it. And if i had the chance i would try it. After all we consume millions of cows, hogs, goats, deer and other animals.

• Like 1