Squatting...

simon43

Have you noticed that westerners cannot (usually) squat like Thai people? I mean that they cannot squat with the complete sole of their foot touching the ground. I can squat without problem, but I squat using the front of my feet only. If I try to place all of the sole of my foot on the ground, then I fall over backwards!

I think there is one of 2 reasons for this. Either the centre of gravity of a westerner is not the same as a Thai person, (due to differently-distributed body mass). Or, the thickness of their calf muscles simply makes it impossible to place the sole of the foot completely on the ground.

Any idfeas? Are you a westerner who can squat with their complete foot-sole on the ground? Do you want a job in a circus?? :o

Simon

Have you noticed that westerners cannot (usually) squat like Thai people? I mean that they cannot squat with the complete sole of their foot touching the ground. I can squat without problem, but I squat using the front of my feet only. If I try to place all of the sole of my foot on the ground, then I fall over backwards!

I think there is one of 2 reasons for this. Either the centre of gravity of a westerner is not the same as a Thai person, (due to differently-distributed body mass). Or, the thickness of their calf muscles simply makes it impossible to place the sole of the foot completely on the ground.

Any idfeas? Are you a westerner who can squat with their complete foot-sole on the ground? Do you want a job in a circus?? :o

Simon

Yes I can - I just let my arms hang forward...

Any idfeas? Are you a westerner who can squat with their complete foot-sole on the ground? Do you want a job in a circus?? :D

Simon

I can do it...but won't do it!

Why?....because of the flies!! :o

Agree with Thai Pauly on this one. I can do it no problem, but I reckon that women might find it easier because of a lower centre of gravity.

My parents, who are almost 60, had terrible problems here if we were in a place where we sat on the floor to eat. They can't sit cross legged anymore. We all do it when we're young, but once we're out of priimary school we generally stick with chairs. I think squatting is like that. Use it or lose it. :o

Cheers,

TT

I think i will open a how to shit squatting business.

I think i will make a bundle and sell the dvd's to the foregners

Just don't forget a work permit......and state your business clearly :o

If they still don't understand......just show them the dvd sample!

I could be wrong, but Ive heard its because Asian people have longer achilles tendons to what we have. Ive no ides if its true or not, but it makes sense to me.

Who are "we"?

I'm an Aussie with Welsh and Scotish parents.

I can easily squat, sit down with my legs straight underneath my bum or sit down crossing my legs EASY!

Thai's are usuallty surprised but I alway's sit like Thai, no worries!

I really think it's simply to do with flexibility and not being overweight.

YBB

im half scottish half asian.

are my tendons long or shorter??

or are they half the size??

now im confused, probaly answers why i only half squat and have my hand on the back wall.

Well being half Scottish, means the tendons in your arms are shorter, making it harder to reach your wallet when its your round :o

And the tendons in your legs are longer, so when you are chased for not paying your share of the bar bill, you can run faster :D

Being half Asian has nothing to do with it, in your case mate it is all Scottish :D

Edited by daleyboy

In all seriousness, it's down to levels of fitness and age. If you can't squat with both feet flat on the floor, you have fitness problems, made worse by getting older. Practice squatting everyday and your overall levels of fitness will improve.

Simon

This is a subject that often crops up because many farang (including me) find it all but impossible to squat with ease.

On one occasion, I was discussing same with my Thai girlfriend as she could just not understand why it should be so difficult.

I maintained that it was just unnatural for farang and also very difficult for some reason.

In an effort to explain my point, I made reference to the way that Thai versus farang golfers line up their putts. A while later, I was able to show her what I meant as there was an international golf tournament being televised which included Thai golfers.

To a man, the Thai golfers had their feet flat to the ground, whereas the farang were balancing on the balls of their feet.

Not that I know for sure what the real answer is, the article below seems perfectly credible to me:

Modern Medicine: Feet, ankles and RSI

by Dr. Iain Corness, Consultant

One of the readers wrote in with the following heart-rending plea, “Could you write an article about ‘feet and ankles’? My lovely Thai wife has asked me many times to squat down on my feet and ankles. She has attempted to show me how easy it is to do. She slowly descends and gracefully squats on her feet and ankles and it looks so easy. She tries to get me to do it and when I try to explain to her that my ankles are not like her ankles, she refuses to accept it. She insists that I try to squat. So, I have tried to squat. I fall on my butt and roll around on the ground, which she loves because she laughs and laughs. Maybe, I should have surgery?”

Well, first off surgery does not fix this problem. If it is a consolation, you have lots of friends. Caucasians cannot do this. I also find that when I attend the local Wat with my Thai wife, I cannot happily sit with my legs tucked under me, feet respectfully facing away with palms together in front of me. The best I can do is to half kneel while leaning against a wall. Even then it is agony after 30 seconds!

I first came across the essential musculo-skeletal differences between the Asians and the Caucasians almost 30 years ago. Australia was in the grip of an ‘epidemic’ of Repetition Strain Injury, known as RSI. Repetitive movements of the hand particularly, would result in inflammation of the tendons which would swell so much the afflicted person could no longer work.

On one visit to Thailand, the Occupational Health Unit at Chulalongkorn University made it possible for me to go round a fish canning factory in Bangkok to look for evidence of RSI here. I noted that the female workers were doing repetitive work involving the hand and wrist, but none of them were getting RSI. This either meant that Australia was in the grip of mass hysteria (which it wasn’t), or that the Asian tendons were more pliable, or supple, than those from the west.

Further private nocturnal studies in the chrome pole palaces showed that the Thai female was indeed much more agile than her western counterpart. Just look at a Thai dancer’s ability to hyper-extend the fingers while the thumb and index finger are touching each other. You can’t do that and neither can I. But I will wager our wives can!

There are other essential differences between the two races. The distribution of blood groups is quite different and even the cross-section of the hairs on our heads are different, with the Asians having a circular cross-section, whilst the westerners is oval.

Asian people have other metabolic differences. Westerners have enzymes to deal with alcohol, which Asians lack. This is why many Asian people go bright red if they drink wine. The Asian response to many medications is also different as far as absorption and response is concerned.

Now this is for those who have trouble learning Asian languages. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) studies have shown differences in the brain structures between those who can speak tonal languages (such as Thai) and native English speakers. So it is not laziness on my part (or yours). Our brains are different!

But getting back to the feet and ankles, there are also ethnic differences here, and that’s why westerners have tall sit-up toilets and Asians can use ‘squat’ toilets! But as the French say, “Vive la difference!”

Source: Pattaya Mail Archives

Simon

I've squatted since I was a kid and still remember friends asking a few years ago, "How can you sit like that, and for so long"? Even though I've gained much weight, I can still squat and find it comfortable.

I don't think there's any scientific explanation. It's how your feet are placed. I just gave it a try and naturally my feet point outwards like this \ / . I tried with the feet straight and it's impossible to do. Out of curiosity I'll check if Thai people's feet are straight or pointing outwards like mine. I'll bet it's outwards.

I don't believe it is a issue of fitness. Although it can be. And by that I mean just about anyone can practice to to do something and become fairly good at it. But for the most part Farangs ar bigger in muscle devlopment. If your thighs are bigger and your calves are bigger they are not going to meet in the same spot and therefore you would not have the same center of gravity. So can I squat yes can I squat like they do no :o

I had to used a Thai outhouse once many moons ago. Oh my god it was stinky :D . I had to squat on a piece of board and was afraid the that I was gonna fall through the floor. With the combo of the smell and the fear of falling through, I couldn't go through with it. :o To top it all of, This darn outhouse had a big ass frog that just sat in front of the stall the entire time. It kept staring at me like I was somthing special. I felt kinda violated :D ...Din't have a place to hold on to either...thank god that nightmare was over.

I can squat all well and good.

One time on a bus ride from Krabi to BKK we stopped at a rest area and a line formed for the toilet. When it was my turn I went in and how shall I say this....the person before missed his mark.

Luckily I only had to go #1. When I was done the little girl in line behind me went in and came running out yelling 'mai dee! mai dee!'

All the Thais (and especially her father) looked at me like I was the culprit. I denied responsibility but nobody believed me. It was a long ride home... :o

LOL.. Indeed at first I would squat the same as the OP indicates, kind of tip-toeing at the same time.

Then I realized you actually can have your feet flat on the floor, just move your positivion a little more forward. Much more comfortable that way too.

Had a laugh at the people mentioning cultural or even physical explantations though, keep 'em coming. :o

But seriously, just try it, shift your weight around a bit and squat 'lower'. It's not that hard.

I've used the squatters a few times. That is where I learned to always travel with a roll of toilet paper ! :o

My biggest problem is keeping the bottom of my shorts/pants off the floor, while still being able to squat in a comfortable position. :D

In Afghanistan, we had some western-style portable toilets scattered around our camp. We would find the toilet seats broken all the time. Turns out that the Afghanis (and some of the Indians and Nepalese), would climb up on the seat to do their thing, breaking the thing in the process.

I see that a Thai company produces similar portable toilets, but with "squat" instead of a "seater".

im half scottish half asian.

are my tendons long or shorter??

or are they half the size??

now im confused, probaly answers why i only half squat and have my hand on the back wall.

Well being half Scottish, means the tendons in your arms are shorter, making it harder to reach your wallet when its your round :o

And the tendons in your legs are longer, so when you are chased for not paying your share of the bar bill, you can run faster :D

Being half Asian has nothing to do with it, in your case mate it is all Scottish :D

I agree , being a sweaty you're bound to have tight tendons (ies) :D

I've used the squatters a few times. That is where I learned to always travel with a roll of toilet paper ! :o

My biggest problem is keeping the bottom of my shorts/pants off the floor, while still being able to squat in a comfortable position. :D

In Afghanistan, we had some western-style portable toilets scattered around our camp. We would find the toilet seats broken all the time. Turns out that the Afghanis (and some of the Indians and Nepalese), would climb up on the seat to do their thing, breaking the thing in the process.

I see that a Thai company produces similar portable toilets, but with "squat" instead of a "seater".

Remember Spock on Star Trek? And the Vulcan "peace sign" of "Live Long and Prosper"?

Squatting is a bit like that... The first time it feels impossible -- if you try this as an adult...

Then... The breakthrough you can split your fingers with "Live Long and Prosper"!

From there it gets easier all the time... This is more of a mental block rather than a physcial block...

Solution for keeping your pants (or anything else) dry:

Take them off and hang them on the hook behind the door -- simple, na? Just remember to put your pants back on before you leave the hawng naam... :D

dseawarrior

:D

As a lad, I could squat for hours, playing marbles (or 'murps') with my mates.

I also had no problem if I had to 'go' in the woods (provided that I had remembered to put some newspaper in my pocket, or there were some docken leaves available).

But, over the years, I have found it harder and harder, on the occasional times when I have had to try to squat.

(The abbot at our local temple got a plastic chair brought in for me!!).

So I agree with the 'use it or lose it' school-of-thought; and am sure that my tendons would have stayed long enough to let me squat comfortably, if only I had kept stretching them every day.

I see that there are small 'portable loos' in the States, that sportsmen who go angling can take in the trunks of their cars. I wonder if they are available in Thailand, as I am getting old and overweight and finding squat loos nearly impossible.

Or is there a commode version of a Zimmer Frame??

I can squat with one foot flat and the other almost flat...

Never used to be able to, but I reckon the sitting cross legged and regular squatting ( No western toilets in the village ) has helped me become more flexible !

totster :o

I'm sure it gets worse for farangs as they get older - even if they keep reasonably fit.

I'm knocking on 60, and now it's not only squatting, but also sitting on the floor with legs folded by the side, (a la Wat praying style), that has become a major problem. I got married last year in a Issan village and I had to sit on the floor for a very long time while the ceremony with the monks etc proceeded. The only way I could do this was by having some cushions propping up my left side, but then I could only wai with one hand, which looked pretty ridiculous, but better than nothing, I hope. All were suitably amused. I don't remember having any major problems sitting and wai-ing in temples when I was younger, but these days its something I try to avoid, as it is very painful, if not just plain impossible!

I have never been able to squat properly on Thai toilets, but have always sort of managed by a combination of a semi - squat supported by hands on either side. Not very pleasant but 'got the job done.' :D In recent years, I have been lucky in managing my toiletry habits in such a way as to never be caght out with only a Thai toilet to use. (I made sure that the house I built in my wife's village had western- style loos :D ) That was, until my brother in law's wedding, last Sunday. I was seriously taken short at the bride's house, and had no alternative but to use the 'sqatter'. The bride's family showed me the way, and I then valiantly tried to squat, as in the days of old. I couldn't get any where near a squatting position! Mercifully the urge suddenly disappeared. I returned to the waiting wedding crowd. 'Was it Ok?' asked my wife solicitously. Everyone wanted to know if an ancient farang had managed to squat and defecate. I told her that the urge had suddenly gone so I didn't have to go. She duly passed on this information, to the vast amusement of the assembled masses.

Both my daughters who are half Thai,(20 and 30) and were brought up in England have no problems squatting. I'm sure its something to do with having more flexible (double) joints. :o