Do You Get Mad When Your Wife/gf Speaks Thai With Another Expat/tourist?

rct99q

Just curious? I speak, read and write Thai (Isaan) and it has certainly helped with my marriage. My wife's English is excellent but there are still times when there is this barrier with English vocabulary that I find is easier to describe in Thai. We have avoided a few incidents of misunderstanding by my knowledge of Thai and being able to explain better than I would have in English.

As such quite often when we go out I (or my wife) always seem to act as interpreters and it seems to really piss some of the partners off (nearly all men, Western). It is not something we enjoy so try to avoid it but it always happen. Thai wife or girlfriend (mostly people we do not know) will hear us chatting in Thai (as I always need to practice) and they will start asking questions or for advice. The partners always seem to get upset asking what we are talking about, do I/we know their girlfriend etc.

I have no interest in these peoples wives/girlfriends and a lot of times give a polite smile and ask not to be involved but some Thai women do not take a polite no so easily.

So does it upset you when an expat, tourist (foreigner) talks with your girlfriend or wife in Thai and not always including you in the conversation. Some partners know excellent Thai and I find it very useful practice to talk with fellow foreigners as it helps me with my Thai, but most of the time the partners know a bit of bar Thai and that is it.

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I understand them, as its quite impolite to speak a foreign language in a group when one of them does not understand. But that is as far as it goes i would not care one bit but if whole conversations are held in a language excluding me i would not like it.

That was one of the reasons for me to learn some Thai.

I not speak Isaan but with google translator iPhone and iPad is easy to talk with the people I write something in German and the phone talk thai!

no. Not really.
Try again. A customer of mine had downloaded a smartphone application, typed in something in English or German, and the phone spoke perfect Thai, and displayed a perfectly written Thai text. Must admit it was a simple sentence though (I will go home), not sure if it would function well with something more complicated.

whats the problem ,

if my darling . talks with another farang in english or thai,

no problem , they may have met before , in another ,,,,

jealousy , is a negative waste of your energy .

wai2.gif

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

Just curious? I speak, read and write Thai (Isaan)

I am sure you can probably speak Issan Thai but you cannot read it.

There is no scripture for Thai Issan.

We write how we speak, Thank you! which is .......in Thai - Khawpb khun Khrap.(m)........Issan - Khawpb Jai -

Same meaning written differently. Isaan is a distinct dialect and it can be written (in Thai) but spelt how it sounds in Isaan. Sorry for the confusion. But this is used by my family and not a blanket statement for the world. My statement was written not on the pretext that someone was going to challenge the as fact "there" is no written text for Isaan. You are correct there is no scripture for Isaan. But we still write it and read it to each other in our family, not yours or the neighbors or the next province or the next country.......

Not experienced what the op is saying.

I don't speak much Thai anymore.

Seems to me the op is a big head and trying to big himself up on here.

I say to him get over yourself.

Not a big head - breadbin - just a family man, working and living in Thailand. Not trying to big myself, no need. But it seems I got under your skin...my apologies if in the past you have had a bad experience here in Thailand or elsewhere. Take care.

Not every poster on TV is a bad person trying to show off but I get the feeling you think so.

whats the problem ,

if my darling . talks with another farang in english or thai,

no problem , they may have met before , in another ,,,,

jealousy , is a negative waste of your energy .

wai2.gif

Thanks elliss, exactly my point. Why do people get jealous over this.And it does waste energy. A positive response to a most negative post, thank you, jing jing.

Just curious? I speak, read and write Thai (Isaan)

I am sure you can probably speak Issan Thai but you cannot read it.

There is no scripture for Thai Issan.

We write how we speak, Thank you! which is .......in Thai - Khawpb khun Khrap.(m)........Issan - Khawpb Jai -

Same meaning written differently. Isaan is a distinct dialect and it can be written (in Thai) but spelt how it sounds in Isaan. Sorry for the confusion. But this is used by my family and not a blanket statement for the world. My statement was written not on the pretext that someone was going to challenge the as fact "there" is no written text for Isaan. You are correct there is no scripture for Isaan. But we still write it and read it to each other in our family, not yours or the neighbors or the next province or the next country.......

If by Khawpb Jai you mean ขอบใจ thats central Thai, formal and infromal.

The wife speaks two languages that I do not understand. For 20+ years, there have been numerous occasions where the conversation has been lost to me. I can ask the subject of discussion whenever I want, and I will be told. If I get bored I get up and leave. No one objects. I am perfectly happy with this and it does not bother me at all.

• Like 2

So does it upset you when an expat, tourist (foreigner) talks with your
girlfriend or wife in Thai and not always including you in the
conversation. Some partners know excellent Thai and I find it very
useful practice to talk with fellow foreigners as it helps me with my
Thai, but most of the time the partners know a bit of bar Thai and that
is it.

I don't give my wife the opportunity to interact with Thai women who have foreign male partners.

Prevents all sorts of trouble.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

If it is done to the total exclusion of another party, then it is very ignorant to do so, IMHO.

I've had it before where a group will sit talking Thai together anhd that in itself is not a problem unless it is as I said above. If I was being excluded or almost totally excluded, I'd get up, walk away and leave them to it.

• Like 1

I only get mad when *I* have to speak to another expat / tourist. Particularly another Australian. wink.png

Happily, I don't seek out other Aussies to chat with; so there is little chance of making you madder than you already are. If I wanted to chat with Aussies, I could stay in Sydney. There are still a few Aussies in Sydney, just a bit hard to find.

In another land, I expect to have time with the locals, not so much with the foreigners.

100% agree re. Google translate - next to useless.

Plenty of talk about Isaan Thai, Central Thai and Southern Thai on various expat fora, but I didnt quite believe that the gap could be so large until I saw it for myself. Two Isaan girls - different trips - complaining to me that they couldn't understand their own 'sisters' when we went to Chumphon and Koh Chang. The closest analogy I can imagine is this woman I worked with in the early 90s - Aussie accent became a thick Scottish brogue whenever her mother rang. It was truly bizarre.

Throw in the gals who also speak Khmer, Burmese and (so I'm told) Russian and it's an interesting Tower of Babel.

So does it upset you when an expat, tourist (foreigner) talks with your

girlfriend or wife in Thai and not always including you in the

conversation. Some partners know excellent Thai and I find it very

useful practice to talk with fellow foreigners as it helps me with my

Thai, but most of the time the partners know a bit of bar Thai and that

is it.

I don't give my wife the opportunity to interact with Thai women who have foreign male partners.

Prevents all sorts of trouble.

That's a good idea, as at some point, the question about how much money they get from their husband/boyfriend will be compared. tongue.png

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1

Although in the OP query I would generally be taking the part of the obnoxious farang speaking Thai with some other farang;'s female companion, I and my no English TGF adopt a routine kind of like this couple from Woody Allen's "Annie Hall". Woody as Alvy Singer:

[Alvy addresses a pair of strangers on the street]
Alvy Singer: Here, you look like a very happy couple, um, are you?
Female street stranger: Yeah.
Alvy Singer: Yeah? So, so, how do you account for it?
Female street stranger: Uh, I'm very shallow and empty and I have no ideas and nothing interesting to say.
Male street stranger: And I'm exactly the same way.
Alvy Singer: I see. Wow. That's very interesting. So you've managed to work out something?
Edited by JLCrab

rct99q, on 27 Feb 2013 - 00:58, said:

breadbin, on 27 Feb 2013 - 00:38, said:

Not experienced what the op is saying.

I don't speak much Thai anymore.

Seems to me the op is a big head and trying to big himself up on here.

I say to him get over yourself.

Not a big head - breadbin - just a family man, working and living in Thailand. Not trying to big myself, no need. But it seems I got under your skin...my apologies if in the past you have had a bad experience here in Thailand or elsewhere. Take care.

Not every poster on TV is a bad person trying to show off but I get the feeling you think so.

Don't sweat it, rct99q. Breadbin doesn't know how to write English, either.
  • Like 1

What I've learned from almost 30 years of working (when I did work) in Asia/china is that when there is an extended conversation that you don't understand, usually it is of the variety of:

What'd you have for dinner last night? Meat loaf. Boy, I hate meat loaf. Same here.

• Like 1