Do You Get Mad When Your Wife/gf Speaks Thai With Another Expat/tourist?

rct99q

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is bad manners to exclude a person from your conversations, by speaking whatever language in whatever country. You should make an effort so that other person can understand what you say. Is it asking too much to translate?

When you living somewhere you could try to learn the local language

• Like 1

I think it is bad manners to exclude a person from your conversations, by speaking whatever language in whatever country. You should make an effort so that other person can understand what you say. Is it asking too much to translate?

What language would you suggest?

Your local one. duh!!!

Your local one. duh!!!

My local one would be village Lanna.

Not much use when I am more than 20Km from our village.

Would seem slightly pointless .... but hang the Mrs. mum speaks Lao, first language village Lanna or Lao.

How about if I learn her second regional language, CM Lanna.

Or should I learn her third language Central Thai?

And many of her friends speak southern Thai .......... she switches effortlessly between them depending on who her conversation is with. That's five different languages she commonly speaks.

Which to choose?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

When i am out at the shops and a farang comes near me they don't talk at all to me i find this very strange as i would have thought it would be nice to have a chat most no some English.

I live out in the sticks so a chat to a farang is nice, i do see some i have managed to talk to before but that's only 2.

If I see a Farang I try to hide, I don't wanna get stuck in some conversation about this and that, I don't freekin' care !

We would have nothing in common apart from our skin colour, I do my best to ignore other farangs, if they do the same to me, great !

• Like 1

If I see a Farang I try to hide, I don't wanna get stuck in some conversation about this and that, I don't freekin' care !

We would have nothing in common apart from our skin colour, I do my best to ignore other farangs, if they do the same to me, great !

There are some good farangs out there, you know. rolleyes.gif

The wife and I spend our lives partly in Thailand and partly in not english speaking Europeen countries.

In Europe, I would - of course - always translate to my wife what I talk about with my friends and family.

As a matter of fact, for the benefit of my thai wife, we usually speak english, so that she can understand.

Sometimes I need to remind her of this, when she speaks thai in thailand..., but she is learning.

Yeah it's only decent. If three people are interacting socially and they all speak language A and one person doesn't speak language B, it's not acceptable for those that do to converse in language B. I'm sure people with disagree with me. I regularly witnessed it while working in Thailand. It's annoying. And frankly ignorant behavior. However, like so many things I witnessed while in Thailand of this nature, it was very very common. I think that people that know better should stand up. Instead I think that many self medicate with booze and sex.

(Not trying to be inflammatory and/or hurtful. But it's the F***ing Truth.)

Pathetic? Thank you very much but I can find people to avoid just as well back home if i choose to develop a masochistic streak.

I am engaged in matters in both Europe and USA which keep me up at these weird hours. I have plenty of interaction with Thais here in Thailand and some stationed outside LOS and the need to associate with farang-type males has dwindled to near zero. Some of the comments here and other recent postings go a good ways to show just why.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

I'm sure the women are very impressed with your ability to speak Thai. It would be unnatural for most men to appreciate this.

Most women aren't going to appreciate their significant other admiring another's stuff: rack, butt, car, house, car, intelligence, clothes, ethnicity... etc...

Most men aren't going to appreciate their significant other admiring another man's stuff: rack, butt, car, house, car, intelligence, clothes, ethnicity... etc...

Your chatting and laughing with another's lover. He has no idea what you're saying. Thai women are notorious for cheating. (Obviously not all do. But I read somewhere like 60% of them have.) Come on. You're asking for trouble. What do you expect them to be friendly with you? You're asking to get hurt.

Edited by somerandomdude
  • Like 1

Pathetic? Thank you very much but I can find people to avoid just as well back home if i choose to develop a masochistic streak.

I am engaged in matters in both Europe and USA which keep me up at these weird hours. I have plenty of interaction with Thais here in Thailand and some stationed outside LOS and the need to associate with farang-type males has dwindled to near zero. Some of the comments here and other recent postings go a good ways to show just why.

Yeah man. It's f****** bottom of the barrel. Not really worth looking at most. Much less engaging in conversation with. To be friends with??? You're out of your f****** mind.

Thanks -- next time we get together I will buy you a cold one and then you can drink it by yourself.

From the screenplay for the Ox-Bow Incident (1943) starring Henry Fonda / Juan: Anthony quinn

Jenny (Ma) Grier: [when Juan finally speaks English after pretending he only knows Spanish] So, he speaks American!

Juan Martínez: And ten other languages, my dear - but I don't tell anything I don't want to in any of them.
Edited by JLCrab

If you can't find decent farang male friends in Thailand that's a reflection upon you.

Who the h--l says I'm trying to find farang male friends? You're late to the party -- everyone has gone home happy.

Besides, from 2 other topics, it seems the guy above is writing about being in Thailand while being in Scotland I remember when one of the Hippie mantras from the 60's was "Be Here Now!"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61CggFqGI2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Who the h--l says I'm trying to find farang male friends? You're late to the party -- everyone has gone home happy.

Besides, from 2 other topics, it seems the guy above is writing about being in Thailand while being in Scotland I remember when one of the Hippie mantras from the 60's was "Be Here Now!"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61CggFqGI2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

That scotsman is better at posting then at reading other people's posts...

Ah that Post Count!

So what if I'm in Scotland? I'll fly into CM this month for a three month stay, and I'll fly in to an excellent social circle both Thai and farang.

I've got the best of both Worlds, and I'm not trapped in Thailand like many of you are.

I genuinely believe the Fly in, Fly out Brigade have got it made, we don't have the stresses on us that apparently result in so many expats becoming sour faced social cripples.

The OP pointed out exactly the type I'm talking about. Seriously, pathetic.

Ah that Post Count!

Both of you should read the last few contributions again. If English is your first language you'll see how pathetic it is.

So what if I'm in Scotland? I'll fly into CM this month for a three month stay, and I'll fly in to an excellent social circle both Thai and farang.

I've got the best of both Worlds, and I'm not trapped in Thailand like many of you are.

I genuinely believe the Fly in, Fly out Brigade have got it made, we don't have the stresses on us that apparently result in so many expats becoming sour faced social cripples.

The OP pointed out exactly the type I'm talking about. Seriously, pathetic.

I'm not sour faced laugh.png , I look like a lemon but there it ends. laugh.png

• Like 1

Ah that Post Count!

Both of you should read the last few contributions again. If English is your first language you'll see how pathetic it is.
Is English your first language ?

Go home once you figure out where that is.

Unlike yourself and a few others on this topic, I have not posted one pejorative or adjective to describe anyone else or their chosen lifestyle. Seriously.

from the screenplay for Sir David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia:

Auda abu Tayi: It is Auda of the Howitat who speaks.
Sherif Ali: It is Ali of the Harith who answers.
Auda abu Tayi: Harith! Ali, does your father still steal?
Sherif Ali: No. Does Auda take me for one of his own bastards?
Auda abu Tayi: No, there is no resemblance. Alas, you resemble your father.
Sherif Ali: Auda flatters me.
Auda abu Tayi: You're easily flattered. I knew your father well.
Sherif Ali: Did you know your own?
Edited by JLCrab