Do You Get Mad When Your Wife/gf Speaks Thai With Another Expat/tourist?

rct99q

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious? I speak, read and write Thai (Isaan)

I am sure you can probably speak Issan Thai but you cannot read it.

There is no scripture for Thai Issan.

We write how we speak, Thank you! which is .......in Thai - Khawpb khun Khrap.(m)........Issan - Khawpb Jai -

Same meaning written differently. Isaan is a distinct dialect and it can be written (in Thai) but spelt how it sounds in Isaan. Sorry for the confusion. But this is used by my family and not a blanket statement for the world. My statement was written not on the pretext that someone was going to challenge the as fact "there" is no written text for Isaan. You are correct there is no scripture for Isaan. But we still write it and read it to each other in our family, not yours or the neighbors or the next province or the next country.......

We write how we speak, Thank you! which is .......in Thai - Khawpb khun Khrap.(m)........Issan - Khawpb Jai -

If by Khawpb Jai you mean ขอบใจ thats central Thai, formal and infromal.

No sir, kawpb jai - as in Lao which is part of how we speak in my village not as in Central Thai (when speaking to someone young or younger than yourself). BUT as I so poorly tried to point out we (my family) write and read Isaan as it is spoken (ie Lao which is Isaan) but in Thai script (think phonetics). Again just how I learned the language, you have learned another, each to their own.

Khawpb Jai lai lai (as in Isaan)

Not experienced what the op is saying.

I don't speak much Thai anymore.

Seems to me the op is a big head and trying to big himself up on here.

I say to him get over yourself.

Not any bad experienced in Thai, been married 12 years and wife from Issan.

I just don't see what the problem is or the point of the post.

Not upset, just thought the post was biggin yourself up.

I am sure you are a good person.

Good luck

So does it upset you when an expat, tourist (foreigner) talks with your

girlfriend or wife in Thai and not always including you in the

conversation. Some partners know excellent Thai and I find it very

useful practice to talk with fellow foreigners as it helps me with my

Thai, but most of the time the partners know a bit of bar Thai and that

is it.

I don't give my wife the opportunity to interact with Thai women who have foreign male partners.

Prevents all sorts of trouble.

Got her on a chain in the kitchen?

She is Thai, she lives in a Thai village, she has no desire to mix with women of uncertain virtue or men that associate with prostitutes. (which pretty much excludes her meeting anyone I know, Thai or foreign)

Well out, this time. This means it is her own free choice.

I think it is very disrespectful of the guys gf. If I am speaking in english to a girl I will automatically tell my thai gf what the conversation is about. If you talk to my gf in thai I expect her to tell me what it is about.

I would also expect a male 'friend' at a dinner table that speaks english to ask me first if it is ok to practice his Thai language skills on my gf.

As another poster has said, perhaps it is you that is trying to big note yourself by talking Thai and having that superiority complex that you just know the farang bf is getting pissed off a little because he doesn't know what you are talking about.

Try being inclusive instead of a know it all in a dick measuring competition.

Edited by FDog

The wife and I spend our lives partly in Thailand and partly in not english speaking Europeen countries.

In Europe, I would - of course - always translate to my wife what I talk about with my friends and family.

As a matter of fact, for the benefit of my thai wife, we usually speak english, so that she can understand.

Sometimes I need to remind her of this, when she speaks thai in thailand..., but she is learning.

As soon as I read the thread title I knew it was going to be some schmuck bragging about speaking Thai and implying that a bunch of non-Thai speakers are jealous of him because of it. We seem to be averaging a good 3-4 "Why are all the bitter expats so jealous of me?" threads a day now on TV.

Yes it is frustrating, that the Thais that speak some English often seem incapable of understanding your Thai, but the ones who have no English often understand quite well. I really dislike the conversations where I speak Thai and they respond in English, even when I persist in Thai and they are clearly understanding me.

But my pet peeve is when I ask for something in Thai, and they hear it, but at that point they stop talking to me entirely and ask my wife if I really said what they heard. I like it when she says to them "why are you asking me"?

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

As soon as I read the thread title I knew it was going to be some schmuck bragging about speaking Thai and implying that a bunch of non-Thai speakers are jealous of him because of it. We seem to be averaging a good 3-4 "Why are all the bitter expats so jealous of me?" threads a day now on TV.

My intent was to gather if people did not like this happening as I hate it when I get interrupted while having a quiet dinner with my family over some petty squabble a couple are having and need someone to translate.

If you do not like the thread then don't read it or start your own under why Newcastle is a <deleted> town and everybody in the UK loves living on welfare...ooops that would be under the UKVisa dot com site this is the Thai site.......

If you don't like poo sticking to your fur stop shi^ing in the woods!

Who cares...?

You wrote back and started another thread so you seem to care.......

Honestly, OP, if anyone is offended or annoyed with this thread, you can be nearly 100% certain that they speak little or no Thai. And this even after years in-country. It's a penis-envy sort of mentality. (That's Freudian, for the less initiated) It becomes even more comical when they try to convince each other that farangs in Thailand are better-off if they can't speak Thai. Misery loves company (not sure if that's Freudian).

Who cares...?

You wrote back and started another thread so you seem to care.......

Honestly, OP, if anyone is offended or annoyed with this thread, you can be nearly 100% certain that they speak little or no Thai. And this even after years in-country. It's a penis-envy sort of mentality. (That's Freudian, for the less initiated) It becomes even more comical when they try to convince each other that farangs in Thailand are better-off if they can't speak Thai. Misery loves company (not sure if that's Freudian).

Or maybe they just don't see it as a big deal...

Do I speak Thai? I do.

Do I mind helping out those who don't? I do not (but I do ask that if they are living here, they make an effort to learn).

It's just a language.

Get over it...

Dont really care what they speak, when they speak, and with who they speak.

But one thing that really gets me mad, is when I'm having a conversation with my wife, or some one.

and another person comes straight in on the conversation,, mainly Thais Bla Bla Bla,

They could see I/We was busy talking,

I have been brought up that if you wish to talk to some one. and that person is already talking . be polite. and Waite your turn.

Some thing which Thais dont seem to understand

Dont really care what they speak, when they speak, and with who they speak.

But one thing that really gets me mad, is when I'm having a conversation with my wife, or some one.

and another person comes straight in on the conversation,, mainly Thais Bla Bla Bla,

They could see I/We was busy talking,

I have been brought up that if you wish to talk to some one. and that person is already talking . be polite. and Waite your turn.

Some thing which Thais dont seem to understand

I'm usually delighted when people interrupt me and the wife....

• Like 2

My ex did this and it didn't bother me any. It sort of came as a relief as it would occupy her. What I resented was the expectation that I would have to speak with the other farang. I rarely had anything in common with the chap, nor did I have any interest. I would just go wander off and talk to one of the barmaids, which would snap the woman out of her chit chat.

I did help two of girlfriends with some of their emails. I was quite adept at penning mangled emails expressing love for various men.

I got caught on an english one as the woman asked the g/f to proof read it. I was however able to go full tilt when I was writing in french to one guy. I'm sure he was delighted as I expressed mon amour for his muscled glistening torso and how I longed for the nights when he held me close so that I could hear his beating heart. wub.png Two hearts beating as one and all that crap. I figured I was allowed considering that the girls had discussed my performance at sex. Yup, it's true. Thai women do provide a commentary on their b/fs and husbands to their childhood friends.

is it.

I don't give my wife the opportunity to interact with Thai women who have foreign male partners.

She is Thai, she lives in a Thai village, she has no desire to mix with women of uncertain virtue or men that associate with prostitutes. (which pretty much excludes her meeting anyone I know, Thai or foreign)

Meet some decent people

Topics like this on Thaivisa forum are useful in reminding me why, for the most part, I have little or any desire to hang out with other Western guys. If I go for days without speaking any English that is OK as well. I kinda gave up the farang socializing as I don't smoke, don't drink beer, and I know nothing about footie so, after a while, what was the point?

Whilst I neither smoke nor watch 'footie', I have to wonder how anyone can stay in Thailand without drinking. I rarely drink here in Oz (think 1 beer in 12 months, not 1 beer a week ..), but 10 minutes of a Thai soap and suddenly the nearest bar looks awfully good. :D

i'm with Mr WW here.... and I'm sure you two make a lovely couple.

And I'll just go back to my comment at #39: Topics like this on Thaivisa forum are useful in reminding me why, for the most part, I have little or any desire to hang out with other Western guys.

Even if that occasionally means enduring some Thai soap opera but usually from another room as she watches and eats her dried squid.

Edited by JLCrab

is it.

Meet some decent people

Most of the foreign guys in Thailand are absolute scum.

I don't want to meet them.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Re: Most of the foreign guys in Thailand are absolute scum.

From the screenplay for Patton:

Translator: The (Russian) general would like to know if you will drink a toast with him.
Patton: Thank the general and tell him I have no desire to drink with him or any other Russian son of a bitch.
Translator: [Nervous] I can't tell him that!
Patton: Tell him, every word.
Translator: [in Russian] He says he will not drink with you or any Russian son of a bitch.
Russian general: [in Russian] Tell him he is a son of a bitch, too. Now!
Translator: [Very nervous] He says he thinks you are a son of a bitch, too.
Patton: [laughing] All right. All right, tell him I'll drink to that; one son of a bitch to another.
  • Like 1