How Corrupt Is Thailand, Your Perception.

JurgenG

I think that the bottom line is this. Government and its administrations are as bent as a nine bob note and there is no room for denial on this subject. The judicial system exist only to shift emphasis and blame and is a significant political tool for the administrators only.

Thai justice is an oxymoron. The constabulary here have rampant corruption from top to bottom and are the lowest forms of life, they are simply thugs in uniform.

The national population has to be one of the most poorly educated in a so called developing country and fundementaly devoid of any form of moral or social compas as recognized by the west

They are so bloody insular and corrupted by the manipulation of their culture that they don't know their ass from their elbow.

They are supposedly so proud that this nation has never been colonized. So dumb that they can not fathom that they have in fact been colonized internaly by thier own elite for a very long time.

However, as a foreginer in Thailand with full knowledge that I can not change this in any shape or form I will simply have to accept it, should I deceid to remain. I like many Thai's however, I have absolutely no sympathy for them at all as I consider their circumstances as a self inflicted wound due to the myriad of mia pen rai responses they have to almost all circumstances. They are being shafted from dawn to dusk and they are too drunk on the devisive BS they are feed on a daily basis and on the the maner by which their own so called culture is twisted to suit the priveleged.

You can only survive in this Swamp if you make it work for you. By westren standards any form of moral high ground even for the most noble of reasons is a massive waist ot time and effort.

• Like 1

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read most of the posts, it is always the same story "I, personally, never experienced corruption BUT I heard a lot about it"

So the perception is clear. yes there is a lot of corruption. But the reality is not so obvious. Why the difference ?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun SteeleJoe,

I'm not trying to go "Socratic" on you: but I must ask the question: do you think, on this thread, there is any consensus about "corruption:" about what "it" is, or is not, about what may be unique to "it" in Thailand, or common to "it" in all countries, or whether "it" is a direct result of our innate human nature; our being primates, evolved into topmost-predators capable of destroying the very planet on which they evolved, born hard-wired for submission-dominance, for sexual competition, and making babies, for desiring shiny things, and desiring to have more shiny things than anyone else, for irrational allegiance to leaders, ideas, cults, movements, for making war, and for killing other people we perceive as not "like us," and are thus depersonalized, freeing us from the guilt of murder, in the name of some cause or god we invented in our own idealized image ?

How do we fix it? That's a much different -- and much, much more difficult -- question than what was presented in the OP.

Is there really an "it," here, and, if so, what does it mean to "fix" that "it" ? To transform our selves, and our nations, into utopias, to become "angelic" creatures ? Those ideas, ideals, are universals in the fables we make up about ourselves we call "history:" and they are always simply veneers over the ugly reality of greed, and the "raw facts," as the old saw goes: of "nature, red in tooth in claw" (that's in Tennyson's poem for his dead, beloved, friend Arthur Hallam, "In Memoriam, A.H.H.," but that phrase was already in use in Tennyson's time to refer to the savage wildness of our innate human nature).

I could try and work up a long and complicated off topic answer that might even have some real merit, but I think I'll opt for the short answer: F*^#ed if I know.

imho, there could be no off-topic post on this thread, because this thread is a collage of people responding, based on such divergent inner realities they may as well be on different planets, and many replies here are obviously coming from deep emotional biases, old wounds, suppressed outrage, not to mention low self-esteem and self-hatred projected onto a rather unique culture (a former colonial empire itself, that kept from ever being colonialized by a western power by great sacrifices of its former vassal states to said western powers, and by a razor's edge of luck, and by the great wisdom and diplomacy, and internal policies, of King Mongkut, and King Chulalongkorn): Thailand has a rich culture (more accurately: a great fractal collision of a mix of cultures resulting in a uniquely chimeric geo-body) that most of the posters here do not have a clue about.

So, I think this post, of yours, I'm quoting from, and responding to, has great merit ("punna," if you will allow me to slightly misuse the Pali term for a Buddhist central concept): your act of recognizing that you are "F*^#ed if I know.," is, to me, a sign of an open, inquiring mind.

Victor Hugo, in 1862, wrote, in the preface to "Les Miseables:"

So long as there shall exist, by reason of law and custom, a social condemnation, which, in the face of civilisation, artificially creates hells on earth, and complicates a destiny that is divine, with human fatality; so long as the three problems of the age — the degradation of man by poverty, the ruin of woman by starvation, and the dwarfing of childhood by physical and spiritual night — are not solved; so long as, in certain regions, social asphyxia shall be possible; in other words, and from a yet more extended point of view, so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless.

And, aren't the social evils Hugo speaks of, still, the "human condition," for most of the people on the planet ?

My concern is "cleaning up" my own inner corruption, my own greed (but not, obviously, controlling my passion for long-winded discourse).

I believe there is no possible "theory" of "corruption in Thailand:" although many crazy theories have been hinted at on this thread (like: "absence of the rule of law," whatever that is), I would agree, here, with the spirit of Niels Bohr's remarks in 1958:

"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct. My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough."

Niels Bohr's comment to Wolfgang Pauli, after Pauli presented Heisenberg's and Pauli's nonlinear field theory of elementary particles, at Columbia University, 1958.

~o:37;

• Like 1

Thailand is rotten to the bones,

there is not a single government institution that is not corrupt,

nothing will be done without bribes.

A result of generally greedy immoral population me thinks, good soil for prostitutes,

which is a proof in itself

Also it seems some posters have some very rosy idea of their home country.

The father of a friend of my mine was running a transport company. Every year, just before Christmas, he used to load one of his truck with the best wines available, champagne, ... and take the truck on a tour on the roads most frequented by his drivers, stopping in all the police station on the way. It was difficult to run a profitable trucking company if you have to obey all the regulation ... My friend was a very popular guy. If you had a speeding ticket, you give it to him, he gives it to his father assistant and that was it. Computers was the end of it. Once the ticket was in the system, it became much more difficult to make it disappear.

So, european countries are not more honest, they are just more efficient at fighting petty corruption.

The father of a friend of my mine was running a transport company. Every year, just before Christmas, he used to load one of his truck with the best wines available, champagne, ... and take the truck on a tour on the roads most frequented by his drivers, stopping in all the police station on the way. It was difficult to run a profitable trucking company if you have to obey all the regulation ... My friend was a very popular guy. If you had a speeding ticket, you give it to him, he gives it to his father assistant and that was it. Computers was the end of it. Once the ticket was in the system, it became much more difficult to make it disappear.

So, european countries are not more honest, they are just more efficient at fighting petty corruption.

"So, european countries are not more honest..."

Impressive. With one single anecdote of decades past about a friend's father you can come to a conclusion about all of Europe.

Be that as it may, what does that tell us about how corrupt Thailand is?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Impressive. With one single anecdote of decades past about a friend's father you can come to a conclusion about all of Europe.

My family has always been in business so I'm quite aware on how European officials at all levels (city council, local government, regional officials and highers ....) can be convinced.

One of Europe big problem is local administrations, at all levels, were convinced a while ago to invest in some financial products that was not clearly understood, by anybody to be honest. How were they convinced ?

The only comment you can have about Thailand crooks is how un sophisticated they are wink.png

• Like 1

To be honest, I find the level of corruption in Thailand a little easier to live with than the level of corruption in Australia! At least here everybody knows it goes on and makes adjustments to allow for it. In Australia we have a rotten to the core Prime Minister who has been implicated in nefarious dealings throughout her adult life surrounded by a team of ex union leaders who are in it for everything they can get out of it.

The difference is that the people involved in daily corruption here are poorly paid police officers and the ones running the corruption in Australia are (very) overpaid politicians. Julia Gillard is better paid than Barack Obama for gods sake and still she taints everything she touches.

Give me the "honest" corruption here over the type found in Australia and a lot of other supposedly clean countries.

What a bunch of drivel. A former Prime Minister is unable to return to Thailand because of pretty serious allegations of corruption. Corruption exists at all levels of Thai society. The police are just the little foot soldiers.

Gillard lives in a country with a very strong justice system. If she has ever done anything wrong, it would have been prosecuted long ago. Her home state, Victoria, where the most pathetic allegations are sourced, is governed by the Liberal Party, the sworn enemy of both the ALP and the union movement. Do you really think that the Victorian Police, and the courts system, the Attorney General, and so on, are all standing around, with their hands in the pockets, while Gillard goes free? Not to mention that the Liberal Party was in power federally from 1996 until 2007, for most of those years Gillard was a Labor Party front-bencher.

If you do, I have a nice Harbour Bridge you might like to buy, slightly used, but very beautiful and with nice views.

Gillards hands are filthy doing dirty deals with her union mates, you live in a dream world of political bias if you can't see that. The corruption in NSW is rampant (as was QLD beforehand), local governmnet is a corrupt joke and always has been. Lib Sinodus is also in there and Abbott is protecting him, they are all crooks. Then we have Bush and Obama (yeah both sides) giving the banking mafia billions to be repaid by taxpayers, regulators are corrupt, everywhere is corrupt, let's not even mention the European Union joke.

Thailand is rotten and rancid throughout every aspect of government and it seeps into the daily attitude of the population as they scramble to get their share anyway they can.

Government equals corruption, simple as that. Same as it ever was, same as it ever will be, degrees may vary but rot is omniprescient.

• Like 1

In Thailand, the corruption is blatant and easy to see.

From the Police to the Government; and from business deals to construction projects. Even from Farming to Siam Paragon 're-labelling' old produce as new. (and suspicious ORGANIC stickers (without certification number) on seemingly non-organic goods.

It happens in ALL areas!!

BUT... before we knock the thai people for this; lets look at our home countries too!

corruption is NOT out in the open. Its still there. but people are better at hiding it! We often see how politicians mis-handle funds; and it is common to give/get 'back-handers' for government contracts.

Greed exists everywhere there are humans!

but some humans are better at covering their tracks!

Either the Thai People are so appallingly bad at covering their tracks? or they just don't care if anyone finds out?

We could go on to wonder how the 6th richest person in the world is from Thailand, (a developing country)!! - you would have to work that one out for yourself!!

Corruption swings BOTH WAYS.

I have been caught doing a U-Turn where I shouldnt and I managed to pay a 100 baht fine (instead of 400 baht) because the policeman put the money into his pocket.

I personally like the fact that the rules are not rigid here. I like it that 'almost anything goes'.

- but then you look at the Red-Bull incident and you realise that there is no limit to how far the corruption can go here, (which is sad).

From the Police to the Government; and from business deals to construction projects. Even from Farming to Siam Paragon 're-labelling' old produce as new. (and suspicious ORGANIC stickers (without certification number) on seemingly non-organic goods.

BUT... before we knock the thai people for this; lets look at our home countries too!

corruption is NOT out in the open. Its still there. but people are better at hiding it! We often see how politicians mis-handle funds; and it is common to give/get 'back-handers' for government contracts.

Either the Thai People are so appallingly bad at covering their tracks? or they just don't care if anyone finds out?

We could go on to wonder how the 6th richest person in the world is from Thailand, (a developing country)!! - you would have to work that one out for yourself!!

I have been caught doing a U-Turn where I shouldnt and I managed to pay a 100 baht fine (instead of 400 baht) because the policeman put the money into his pocket.

I personally like the fact that the rules are not rigid here. I like it that 'almost anything goes'.

- but then you look at the Red-Bull incident and you realise that there is no limit to how far the corruption can go here, (which is sad).

Some of us are from Chicago and Thailand is a breath of fresh air. When I lived in Chicago there were a lot of places that the cops and fire department did not go. I don't think the same can be said for anywhere in Bangkok or Pattaya.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

This is when 'face' come into play, if you expose them, they can't scam more victims,

so they do care about 'face' i.e the ability to continue theft

To be honest, I find the level of corruption in Thailand a little easier to live with than the level of corruption in Australia! At least here everybody knows it goes on and makes adjustments to allow for it. In Australia we have a rotten to the core Prime Minister who has been implicated in nefarious dealings throughout her adult life surrounded by a team of ex union leaders who are in it for everything they can get out of it.

The difference is that the people involved in daily corruption here are poorly paid police officers and the ones running the corruption in Australia are (very) overpaid politicians. Julia Gillard is better paid than Barack Obama for gods sake and still she taints everything she touches.

Give me the "honest" corruption here over the type found in Australia and a lot of other supposedly clean countries.

I am not Australian, but if everything you say is true, then I agree with you

All I can assume is that Thailand attracts a peculiarly unthinking form of cynic to its expat population

Where l come from parents do not have to pay corruption money for children to attend a particular school. They attend a school on THEIR merits, not pay towards someones new car.

Where I come from, parents have to buy/rent a house in the school catchment area for their children to attend that school. It's still about paying.

I thought we came from the same place?

Actually in Eltham where i lived in Australia you could not rent a house to get your children in to a good school , you had to either own it or have a mortgage on it . And this only applies to ,the best schools , not all school areas. The if you wanted to sell the house you could ask for more as it was it the good schools district . I sold my house there and made a 20% better price on the sale because of this reason

I am not Australian, but if everything you say is true, then I agree with you

believe me mate , everything is not true , you could by his post he hated the Prime Minister of Australia.

• Like 1

So many people miss the point that it's MY and YOUR money that goes into THEIR pockets. In theory, I pay taxes to help develop the country, but it ends up funding another private car for someone. Why does that not bother people?

I pay taxes because I have to.

Thought that was why everyone else pays taxes too.

Give it to an umemployed mother, buy another nuke missile, put it in a generals account ....... all the same to me.

So many people miss the point that it's MY and YOUR money that goes into THEIR pockets. In theory, I pay taxes to help develop the country, but it ends up funding another private car for someone. Why does that not bother people?

it bothers me , as this year i will be paying around 2 million baht in taxes which is Ok., and I hire over 30 Thai workers. But I still dont like the corruption system in this country as I had to pay alot of money to the orbortor , I am just a stupid farang with money in their eyes. The police come around every month to see if there is any Cambodians working as they want money too. This is one reason I only have thai people working for my wife and I .

Another problem with corruption is nepotism and graft, this results in people getting jobs that they simply aren't qualified or able to do. How many times do we read of some ridiculous new "law" that is so impractical or unenforceable it ends up being ignored a few months after its inception?

I believe all nations have corruption, in varying degrees. While the overt passing of money in the West may not be as obvious, there still exists a level of corruption. One of the most obvious, here, in the West is that political favor seems to be blatant, rather than pure monetary gain.

The West may not have obvious murder and injury of opponents in the news as often, but it certainly has its share of "apparent heart-attack" victims or "suicide" victims amongst those set to expose someone in power. This goes on especially in the upper levels of national government in the USA.

Votes in the West may not be bought by cash exchanging hands, but it is occurring with special perks for certain districts, small gestures of appreciation like cell-phones or free transport passes and the like. I say most all countries have these problems and some just hide it better than others. It is now a part of human-nature and we allow it to repeat so often that it becomes the standard.

What a bunch of drivel. A former Prime Minister is unable to return to Thailand because of pretty serious allegations of corruption. Corruption exists at all levels of Thai society. The police are just the little foot soldiers.

Gillard lives in a country with a very strong justice system. If she has ever done anything wrong, it would have been prosecuted long ago. Her home state, Victoria, where the most pathetic allegations are sourced, is governed by the Liberal Party, the sworn enemy of both the ALP and the union movement. Do you really think that the Victorian Police, and the courts system, the Attorney General, and so on, are all standing around, with their hands in the pockets, while Gillard goes free? Not to mention that the Liberal Party was in power federally from 1996 until 2007, for most of those years Gillard was a Labor Party front-bencher.

If you do, I have a nice Harbour Bridge you might like to buy, slightly used, but very beautiful and with nice views.

First the thread is about Thailand not Australia.

secondly, Police is the fundamental tool for implementing the rules of Laws. Corruption of police is propagation of the cancer to the whole society.

1- Police should have a control in place: a Police of Police, only ethical, technical, independant of Politics.

2- Police should not have to deal with money. Policeman should not be authorised to have more than 100 Thais Bahts in their pockets. Fines should be paid to the Minister of Finances after control by Justice. In France, we have a system of "legal stamps"for paying our fines. Those stamps are available in the outlets selling tobaccos, the Ministry of Finances being in charge of the management.

• Like 2

Another problem with corruption is nepotism and graft, this results in people getting jobs that they simply aren't qualified or able to do. How many times do we read of some ridiculous new "law" that is so impractical or unenforceable it ends up being ignored a few months after its inception?

Nepotism and cronyism are in part a response to the absence of firm civil law; if people cannot rely on the law to enforce agreements, then they can only afford to give jobs, business to those that they trust as individuals; whereas in 'the West' one can, as a last resort, fall back on a lawyer to enforce a contract or claim damages. It's not something I've ever had to do, but because it's a possible recourse, the contracts tend to be much more explicitly and clearly worded. Except for those buffoons at the Edinburgh tram, but I'm sure by the time Scotland gets its independence our politicians will have learnt to keep their interfering stickybeaks out of administration...

SC

• Like 1

The corruption is obvious and in your face here, thats the way it is. Two choices here, support the corruption by greasing palms or not support it by not paying bribes, its up to the individual. I was confronted by corrupion and I followed the advice of others and slipped an envelope across the table at the Immigration office, but it never felt right to me, once I decided I wasn't going to feed the corruption beast any more and stopped slipping the envelope across and made it known I knew the rules the expectation of a little bribe went away, and I have had no problems since.

And again it seems that some people think that 1) corruption only affects you if you want it to and 2) it doesn't damage society as a whole or 3) it doesn't matter if it does damage societysince it doesn't inconvenience them personally*

First two are fallacies. Third o e depends on one's outlook I suppose.

* except so much of what most of us find to be wrong with this country or in indents that outrage us couldn't be so or occur if it weren't for the systemic corruption.

I don't know what you are ranting about, 1) Corruption affects all of us in this and every other society. 2) It damages society as a whole, it keeps the poor poor while some of the wealthy get wealthier as some who were wealthy become either gradually or rapidly poor (not usually those connected to power either by association or birth). 3) The only ones not affected personally* are those who benefit the most at everybody else's expense.

Corruption is a global problem that has been around for a long time and which will continue to be around for a long time so long as people keep feeding it, I talked about an experience I had with corruption and how I dealt with it, I did not say anything about the points you raised.

In Thailand. corruption is a way of life, accepted and condoned by young and old,

rich and poor, and it has been so for a hundreds of years, and no one can, want,

or willing to change it, any comments to the contrary from the powers that be are

lips service and nothing else...

Interesting statement based on ...???

I worked, bought a house, applied for mortgage, dealed with a number of administration, normal life for a number of years. Never had to pay for under table money.

Your experience is different. Can you give us more, specific details ?

I would say you got pretty lucky.. most of us have had to pay a few baht extra to get our notebooks or cell phones put into working order, a few baht extra to get our motorcycle or auto papers processed in a more timely manner, water line repaired, electric line repaired, the list goes on. I don't know how many times I've went to get something done and been told for another 50 or 100 baht, my work needed would go to the head of the line.. Is that not under the table money? your lucky indeed..

It's corrupt from top to bottom..

How you deal with that corruption is what will make your time here worthwhile or a headache.

Don't think it will change in the near future as people are used to living with it.

Gotta love the food though smile.png

I Think U r Wrong come to India it is more corrupted than Thailand 10000000000000000000000000000000000times so be Happy in Thailand Gods Own Country love Thailand Plz Forget Coruption live Happy Sorry if i offend You

Excellent post and really does explain it all.

Yes, where do we draw the line on corruption in Thailand, as being acceptable and not acceptable? Or can corruption in any shape of form, ever be considered as acceptable? And can the turning of blind eyes to those who are breaking the laws be justified?

And again, absolutely right, corruption is rift in all countries only some are more experienced at keeping it all behind the scenes, because in Thailand they are much more open about it as if it`s actually a part of doing business here.

The good, the bad, and the ugly, you decide?

Edited by Beetlejuice