Former U S Army Paratrooper Destroys 60 Gubernatorial Campaign Ads: Bangkok

webfact

Former US Army paratrooper destroys 60 gubernatorial campaign ads
By Coconuts Bangkok

photo-578x422.jpg

BANGKOK: -- At 3:30am this morning, former US Army paratrooper Andrew James Agnew was taken into custody after he was caught destroying more than 60 gubernatorial campaign billboards on Nawong Pracha Phatthana Road in the Don Muang District.

Upon arriving at the scene, Don Muang police found the 27-year-old Thai-American attacking the roadside advertisements in an intoxicated frenzy. The ads had been installed earlier and were due for removal after the March 3 Bangkok governor’s election. Andrew told police that he found the promotional signs irritating, which is why he pulled them out and threw them into a waterway.

Police said that of the 60 billboards one was for the No.10 candidate, two were for Pheu Thai candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen and many others were for Democrat candidate Sukhumbhand Paribatra.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/former-us-army-paratrooper-destroys-60-gubernatorial-campaign-ads/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-01

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3:30 am and intoxicated - I am pretty sure politics has little to do with any of it. I noticed on the page he listed under Favorites

Activities

[Drinking]

Drinking

Agreed. Obviously another drinker that's had just too much, after all it was 3 30am. BUT who really gives a s***t? Is this story of any interest I ask you?

Perhaps he went around measuring them and found them to be of illegal size and was just helping the police. biggrin.png BTW candidate posters are limited to 30x42cm or 130x245cm for cutouts.

Thanks for this info.

Can we use it in our defence?

I can't count the number of signs hung that making walking on already obstacle ridden sidewalks near impossible. If I was Thai I would write to some of these candidates and explain that although I may like your views I would never vote for you because I every time I see your face I relate it to danger and forcing me to step into on coming traffic to get home and if you hire idiots to do your work now then surely you'll continue this practice in office.

• Like 2

Wow - This is big news. At least there is some truth in it. He was drunk, he is Thai-American, he was destroying the signs, and it was 3:30 AM. Truth and reality is a great thing and a rare occurrence in this newspaper in the same article as reference to Thai politicians.

It is about time someone attempted to do something about these horrifically obnoxious ads. A few ads here and there are fine. But, upon traveling around Bangkok, I found literally thousands of posters within just several blocks of my hotel. It is way, way, way over the top. I realize these insects who are running, need to insure the continual flow of the tens of millions of dollars, into their savings accounts. But, is there no limit to the advertising?

I can't count the number of signs hung that making walking on already obstacle ridden sidewalks near impossible. If I was Thai I would write to some of these candidates and explain that although I may like your views I would never vote for you because I every time I see your face I relate it to danger and forcing me to step into on coming traffic to get home and if you hire idiots to do your work now then surely you'll continue this practice in office.

If you were Thai, you would not even be aware of this kind of inconvenience or danger, and you would certainly not write to complain about it, because it would be a complete waste of time!

Approximately two month before the election of a mayor on Samui, dozens of pick-ups with big posters and even bigger loudspeakers,

have been creeping around the island, disturbing traffic and sane people. Had been contemplating to get a couple of hand granates...

No, I'm not drinking and I'm not a soldier but a potential terrorist.

• Like 1

I have thought about this and tearing down the signs is crude response.

What is really needed is negative feedback system.

If some activist added non removable modification to candidate photos such as Hitler mustache or Pigs nose on the photo then what are these sign polluters going to do?

Put up more signs?

Any ideas for what to use to make a non removable or hard to remove modification that could be quickly added such signs?

I would like to put some funny ones on the plastic surgery signs like Frankenstein stiches

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie