Crummy Hotel In Jomtien Beach Cost Thb2700 A Night

homeownership

This very night a friend of mine has had to pay THB2700 a night in a Jomtien Beach Hotel, because Pattaya was full (of Russians apparantly), couldnt get a Pattaya Hotel tonight for love or money.

Thats £50 by my money. Thai prices are getting ridicoulous.

I see a crash coming and a big one too. A lot of people are going to lose a lot a money when it hits.

I just managed to book a hotel on agoda for tonight and tomorrow and there were loads of places available.

Obviously if you're looking for a hotel right near Walking Street then the season is at it's peak. :P

I'm gonna be staying a little bit of a walk from that kind of area as Walking Street doesn't do it for me.

B2700 is more like GBP 60, than 50, with the pound being driven-down deliberately at present. sick.gif

But that still seems awfully high, I have a booking for later this month for a hotel with-swimming-pool in Buakow (central Pattaya) @ B630/night, including taxes but not breakfast, and wouldn't expect to pay more that B600/night for a reasonable guesthouse in Jomtien.

Perhaps your friend was just unlucky or unwary ? wai2.gif

• Like 1

B2700 is more like GBP 60, than 50, with the pound being driven-down deliberately at present. sick.gif

But that still seems awfully high, I have a booking for later this month for a hotel with-swimming-pool in Buakow (central Pattaya) @ B630/night, including taxes but not breakfast, and wouldn't expect to pay more that B600/night for a reasonable guesthouse in Jomtien.

Perhaps your friend was just unlucky or unwary ? wai2.gif

Well thats what I thought, but 30 years in Thailand and a 25 year relationship with a English speaking Thai Wife. He is not wet behind the ear. Plus he is armed with a Ipad that makes him particulary dangerous.

• Like 1

Seems quiet around town to me. High season is over, no?

Agree. Last night I motored home from Jomtien to Pattaya. Street traffic was way down from just a couple of weeks ago. Bars in the Jomtien Rhompo Market complex, where the GF and I go occasionally but regularly, have had considerably fewer patrons the last couple of weeks. So I would say there might be a few empty hotel rooms around Jomtien, which is quite expensive compared to Pattaya anyway. I would say the hotel the OP's friend stayed at was taking advantage of the last tourists.

When hotel rooms are not available or too expensive, look for short-term rent condos. Always available in the View Talays and other places, larger than hotel rooms, with huge pools, and never more than 1,000 Baht per day.

But I agree with an earlier poster who stated that there where plenty of rooms available in Pattaya. Almost all the brand new hotels would have rooms. Agoda, Asiarooms, Tripadvisor all have rooms available online that can not be booked when you just walkin. These rooms are contracted by the websites, the hotels gets paid a retainer fee for keeping these rooms available. That's the only way the system works for these smaller hotels because they do not have the sophisticated online reservation systems like the bigger name brand hotels. The travel websites pay a fee to have direct access to their reservation systems thats why during high occupancy days these big hotels will show fully booked online where as the smaller ones will not.... How do I know? I do logistics and part of my job is booking hotels...

I was in Pattaya last weekend, had no difficulty getting a room and that was a holiday weekend and four if us walked in and got rooms. Likewise the price was fine, nothing inflated 1,400 for a night, couldn't complain. The Sky is falling.

Seems quiet around town to me. High season is over, no?

Indeed. A lot of people seem to have gone since last week.

I cant imagine why the OP's friend had trouble finding a room as there are several quite nice places at under 1000B between Pattaya and Jomtien that have never been full since they were built.

When hotel rooms are not available or too expensive, look for short-term rent condos. Always available in the View Talays and other places, larger than hotel rooms, with huge pools, and never more than 1,000 Baht per day.

Quite right. I know for a fact view talay 2 has loads of rooms for 800bt.

He sees

The OP also sees a crash coming, Thai prices are high and he can't find a hotel room in Jomtien. Not much accuracy in the OP. No one sees a crash coming; the Thai economy is fine according to all the credit rating agencies, prices are a bit up but the inflation rate is low on a world wide average and there are many rooms in Jomtien.

Is the topic of this thread the impending crash of the Thai economy?

No, certainly not. That subject is hush hush for now. wink.png

So is the topic how to get a hotel in Jomtien?

No its how to get a crap hotel in Jomtien even though you are armed with an I pad.

• Like 1

So it's still the same rate as 8 years ago when I lived in VT2, wouldn't have expected that. That's beautiful rooms, way better than in hotels.

• Like 1

Well, for 2000, your friend could have had a girl and her room for the night.

Some people!

Oh, yeah, and a massage!

Last week I was staying at my buddy's way out in Huayyai and I didn't have a gate key to get back in which didn't really matter as my truck was parked under Royal Garden since the afternoon and I had blown all my cash in the TQ and didn't have my ATM card either. Luckily, a dancer saw my plight and after closing, we caught a songtaew to her flop on Pattaya Klang and I crashed for the night there. I didn't get a massage but she bought me a plastic tray of pad thai for lunch and loaned me 200 baht to get my truck back.

It aint all bad in the city that never sleeps.

• Like 2

So it's still the same rate as 8 years ago when I lived in VT2, wouldn't have expected that. That's beautiful rooms, way better than in hotels.

Actually you can get them from 500B without much trouble. Even less if you are tenacious.

I'm not sure that any room in VT2 could seriously be described as "beautiful", but mostly they are more than acceptable.

He sees

The OP also sees a crash coming, Thai prices are high and he can't find a hotel room in Jomtien. Not much accuracy in the OP. No one sees a crash coming; the Thai economy is fine according to all the credit rating agencies, prices are a bit up but the inflation rate is low on a world wide average and there are many rooms in Jomtien.

This post has to win an award. I will donate $US 50, just so he get one.

1. Yes I do see a crash coming.

2. Thai Prices are high and (my friend), couldnt find a decent hotel in Jomtien.

3. Not much accuracy in the OP, (I wont take that personally, as you dont know me).

4. No one sees a crash coming, (who told you that a bar girl off her head on Yabbaa)

5. The Thai economy is fine according to all the credit rating agencies. (These wouldnt be the same agencies that said credit default swaps were investment grade would they).

6. Prices are a bit up, but the inflation rate is average on a world wide average. (AWARD !!! AWARD !!!!)

7. I am sure there are lots of lovely rooms in Jomtien, just not ones my friend wanted to stay at last night.

I have tried not be inflamatory, but this post is classic.