I Think Prices In Thailand For Cars Are Insane!

I was just checking 2002 BMW for 800 k

somebody must be crazy here, I mean, the old car like that for 800 000 bht?

THat is just insanity
In europe you get 2008 or 2009 BMW for that money.

My budget it like 300k for a decent car, do I get a decent car for this here or do I get a old rusty wagon?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My budget it like 300k for a decent car, do I get a decent car for this here..

​ Simple answer Yes, but not in the BMW class....... medium size car for 300k would be a 2004 or 05 Chevy Optra, same year Nissan Sunny or Mitsubishi Lancer,. even a 2002 or 03 Volvo S40 Turbo, ..... 2008 or 09 models look at the Proton range..

​UK prices have no bearing on prices here...... likewise here buy a good 2nd hand car and 2 years down the road you can sell for very little lose.

For cars sold at Tents/dealer go here......... 2,077 cars between 250 and 300,000 baht, private or cars sold not by dealer would work out cheaper but this website will give you an idea

http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?price1=250000&price2=300000

Edited by ignis

As the OP has noticed, cars have incredible resale value in Thailand.

If you have the means buy new and reap the rewards on resale. If you don't, accept that you're just not going to buy a recent used BMW for 10% of it's new price - which is what it appears you're expecting ;)

• Like 1

Yeah second hand car prices are mad so it's really not worth thinking about what you could buy for the equivalent money in the UK. I mean 300k Baht is getting on for nearly 7k GBP and you could buy a 2006 7 series BMW for that.. sad.png

So think about how cheap the 2nd hand BMW is here........ see why.

2002/3 BMW 523 cost 3.55 million

2002/3 Honda Accord 2.4 cost 1.4 million

2002/3 Toyota Camry 2.4 cost 1.4 million..

So today you can buy all 3 makes, 2nd hand for somewhere around 700,000 baht. so BMW is very cheap 2nd hand here. maybe a better way to look at it..

• Like 1

The cost of labor (mechanics charge) is far less per hour in Thailand so older cars are more reasonable to maintain.

Save for the fact that you have to bring them back multiple times to finally get satisfaction in many cases and even then the quality of the job is always suspect, I would not have driven a car in Thailand had I not done my own work, if you haven't you really have no idea the shocking and scary reality..

• Like 1

If your budget is 300k you may as well keep the money in the bank and just use taxi's when you can't ride your scooter.

Actually a good look at SEAT's is my recommendation, you could get a nicely equipped second hand Toledo well within that budget and being primarily VW it's on par with a Bimmer....

Here's one nice example: http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1069340

Something sporty...

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1081521

Even cheaper than the Seat and still in the VW Group + a TDi

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1085259

Well below your price, lots here

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet3.aspx?cib=1086003

If you want something near new + well within the 300k what about this ?

http://www.one2car.com/CHERY_A113/H17120205

Ok, you were on with the first 3 but the last one I'd give pause to. I'd stay away from the Alfa regardless of their being local they're still Alfa's and Thai ones to boot. I hate the baby poo brown interior but ok it's not my choice. The Skoda is another line if thinking on the VW theme too and worth a look IMO. The Peugeot is not a bad choice either just not sure about parts and tech support..

My wife will be selling her 2004 Honda Civic for about that price.

Wow. is it the old model ? or after the January 2004 face lift that model ?

Myself think they look better that the newer model, but for the price [only ever seen them for 450k and up for a 2004 [RX or EXi appear the only ones with leather]

The Seat and the Skoda are far cheaper + have leather and climate control

• Like 1

The road to disappointment is littered with the likes of Alfa, Peugeot, Renault and the occasional VW. But if you like to tinker......

Based on what empirical experience? For the record I've owned 5 of them in my time there, 4 SEAT's and one VW and a Bimmer as well. Of course they required initial maintenance to bring them up to my high standards and so that I was confident that they were completely gone through and road safe (sold them all for a profit when the time came) but regardless of the used car that's a given and certainly cost is no more than an equivalent Bimmer and maybe even less in most cases..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I was just checking 2002 BMW for 800 k

somebody must be crazy here, I mean, the old car like that for 800 000 bht?

THat is just insanity

In europe you get 2008 or 2009 BMW for that money.

My budget it like 300k for a decent car, do I get a decent car for this here or do I get a old rusty wagon?

Car prices in Thailand is not insane...

You should see Singapore's!

• Like 1

uh, i am not in a mood to buy a car that is 10 years old, I am ok with 5 yo

what about some crap like jazz honda 5 yo? that should run around 400000 right?

I rather stick with some good motorbike then I think for 200000, plus you can drive it everyday

My wife will be selling her 2004 Honda Civic for about that price.

Wow. is it the old model ? or after the January 2004 face lift that model ?

Myself think they look better that the newer model, but for the price [only ever seen them for 450k and up for a 2004 [RX or EXi appear the only ones with leather]

The Seat and the Skoda are far cheaper + have leather and climate control

Old model. According to Thanachart Bluebook http://www.thanachartbluebook.com/detail_car.asp?P1=D642849DCFD4D8BE5DB02674B8E4269C9B304182DB8ED832B1A15177372753DB it's worth 380k

I rather stick with some good motorbike then I think for 200000, plus you can drive it everyday

Hardly fair to regard a Jazz or all older Cars n Trucks as crap. Untill reacently A ferang near me had a Nissan Big M. Jap Import, older than Gods Dog, as good a ride as a new one, i see a Colt,before it became Mitsu , doing sterling service at Mom and Pops shop nearby, now how old is that you experts.. ?.coffee1.gif

Hardly fair to regard a Jazz or all older Cars n Trucks as crap. Untill reacently A ferang near me had a Nissan Big M. Jap Import, older than Gods Dog, as good a ride as a new one, i see a Colt,before it became Mitsu , doing sterling service at Mom and Pops shop nearby, now how old is that you experts.. ?.coffee1.gif

Believe the 1st Colt from Mitsubishi came into production in 1962...

Why buy a crap Jazz of 5 years old....? anyway the March 2008 new Jazz cost over 500,000 for a 2008 model, for that money you can buy a brand new Nissan Almera or Mitsubishi Mirage or save 50,000 baht and buy a 2012 model + cheaper to run..

Honda + Toyota + Cheap = Simple Do not go together