Treatment For Stroke Patient In Thailand Not Have?

Sandman77

In our village a 80 year old woman come everyday to our house and talk, got a stroke in the nighttime one month ago!

No she cannot walk see around 20 procent, and talk slowly!

Sleep on a wooden bed, doctors say we cannot help you can go home...

This all makes me very sad..

Having been a stroke victim myself, I can tell you a few things you need to know.

Age is an important issue. The older you are the harder it is for the body to heal. But it does not mean she won't regain function. It could be a lot or it could very little or non. I was told I'd never walk again without help. I beat them, I play golf. It's the brain that is affected not her muscles or nerves so it all depends on how the brain rewires itself. You need to stay positive with her all the time and tell the people taking care of her the same. Her brain is getting over whelmed by signals coming in from nerve endings. Because of this the brain gets very confusing signals. So things do not work like they should. Simple movements maybe extremely painful. Believe me IT IS! It may go away in time. Outside stimulation is very important, it will help the brain rewire itself. So helping her move her limbs helps. You can not over come what is called spastisity. Meaning the muscles contract and do not relax. Very slow and careful stretching will help but do not force it. A physical therapist will do well. You may not see any progress ever but then you may. Progress is very, very slow if any. Make her as comfortable as you can. A mattress would be nice instead of a wooden table. She can not see because part of the brain that interprets vision is damaged. Same with her speech. She may become very emotional or show no emotion. Depends on what part of the brain that is damaged. Stay positive always. Massage helps. Acupuncture helps. Herbal medicines do not,but if it makes her feel good it does not hurt. Again be positive. I have seen people regain some functionally at her age so it is possible but unfortunately not likely.

I hope you can understand all I'm telling you. Ignore all the doomsayers. Good Luck.

Aspirin is freely available everywhere - I have as part of my normal medical prescription drugs here. But a stroke can be blockage or bleeding and you would not want to use if bleeding and it is not likely to cure what has already happened in any case.

Yes, aspirin is perfectly legal and available here but indeed should not be taken by a stroke victim except under medical advise. Its utility regarding strokes is as a preventive, not a treatment, and it will help prevent only strokes due to clots, not due to hemorrhage, in fact may increase the risk of the latter.

The need this thread points to is in any case physical and speech therapy. For all we know she may have already had some and the hospital may have felt she would not benefit from any more and would do best back at home.

At the one month mark there is still likely to be continued spontaneous improvement. If at one month she is able to talk (albeit slowly)

You can help your neighbor most by remaining engaged with her and encouraging her to stay active and to continue to talk even though it may be frustrating. She should also continue to move about as much as she is able. If she is not walking at all or if she has limited/no use of one side of her body, the family can help by massaging those limbs to avoid muscle contractures.

Also make sure she is keeping her blood pressure under good control so as to reduce the risk of anotherstroke.

• Like 2

I can only speak about P/T cost in Phuket. As a foreigner I was charged 500B for 1 & 1/2 hour visit. Thais were being charged 300B and it depended on the treatment offered. I'd say she will need at least 3 visits a week until they can determine just how much progress she makes. Then two visits a week. Although some of the therapy will actually help, majority will be for her emotional well being. It's important to keep her muscle and tendons limber otherwise the muscles will contract and become ridged. Depending on the severity, within the first 3 months will determine how severe her disability will. Doctors still insist in one month bu t from experience that is not true. Proof of that, I could not lift my left arm for more than 6 months and took one year to be functional again. The worse thing for her is to lay around. Keep her active as much as possible.

If she has this issue, the "pain" I referenced is from thousands of nerve endings firing off all at one time overloading the brain. It arrives as pain not pleasure. Just be aware that simple movements will cause it. You may think she's imagining this but I can assure you she's not. If she can not see it is because the optic nerves to the brain have been damaged. Oddly this may heal itself over time. Don't be surprised if she may regains sight in one or the other eye.

Could you tell me what side was affected? Left or right? or a mix. I respond to your post because for several years I assisted at a Stroke Center here in the states, as a stroke victim myself. I have taught a few therapist in my time. You will also find the Massage Therapist who claims they can cure or fix stroke victims. Farthest from the truth. The Brain is damaged not the muscles or tendons. So if they have a way of fixing the brain they'd be rich over night. But massage does help tremendously, it keeps the muscles and tendons flexible and that is a major goal that you want. It also provides the external stimuli that is needed. As Sheryl said, this is a very long healing process.