Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all this talk of retired and/or expat farang getting some sort of decent insurance option via the Thai gov't is moot. The OP is focused on immigrant workers (read; Burmese, etc). Anything the Thai gov't has offered immigrant workers is tainted. the OP only glancingly mentions resident farang, and only as an afterthought - and that's as far as it will go. If the Thai gov't offers any 'deals to farang, it will have a high price tag (they think we're all rich, with unlimited ATM visits), and will be subject to vacillation. If in doubt, look at the history of T's Elite Card.

• Like 2

It takes something like ASEAN to do this. What about the past? Foreigners have been living here for years. Very typical.

It's all about selling headlines and building up the perceived idea they really care about us... whistling.gif

Touche. Sadly.

Sad crap going on in USA sick.gif, citizens health care should be priority-1 then that will turn into a healthy work force which means a healthy economy and a much more healthy country...DUH annoyed.gif

I beg to differ.

I think that in fact the quality of healthcare should be reduced in the USA.

The same way I would reduce from a Rolls to a Volkswagen.....because I should buy within my budget.

Which the US is not doing.

(I mean this selectively of course......overtesting and overdiagnosis and Pharma are the first targets. In fact of course if you enforced the best of the European models you could improve your healthcare to their standards whilst also improving your costs)

This is off topic but I can't resist. If you would cut the blood sucking lawyers out of medical care there would not be redundant tests and the doctors having to play CYA.

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S. And if you don't sign up for Medicare Part B when you turn 65, your monthly premium will be 10% higher per each year you delayed signing-up for your remaining life. Yea, a delay in your decision to sign-up for or not sign-up for Part B could get costly.

Whether to sign-up for Medicare Part B or not when turning 65 and being a U.S. expat and maybe not being 100% sure if Thailand will be your home for the remainder or you life and getting hit with much higher Medicare premiums if returning to the U.S. can probably make the Medicare sign-up decision when turning 65 a little tough for some U.S. expats.

Now, if Thailand could come up with a good medical plan for expats with monthly premiums equal to or less than Medicare Part B premium costs, then I expect some (maybe many) U.S expats would sign up for it.

You laid that out perfectly. I agree with you,,,,,,,, many US expats would sign up for it.

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

This topic puzzles me for a couple of reasons. About 6 years ago, Blue Cross Thailand tried to get me to sign up for coverage.

I did not purchase coverage for a few reasons: Medical costs in Thailand are 5% of what they are at home, medical costs are also far below the cost of the insurance, & I was soon to be put on a US Government Medical plan.

On that Government plan, I pay first and receive a calculated % repayment. However, even then, the cost is often so low that it isn't worth filling out and mailing the forms for reimbursment.

Plus, my Government medical insurance issues no identity card, only an ID number - so my comprenhensive coverage would be quite difficult to prove.

IMHO, requiring the average 'Westerner' to have insurance would just be another complication added to the already difficult immigration process.

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S. And if you don't sign up for Medicare Part B when you turn 65, your monthly premium will be 10% higher per each year you delayed signing-up for your remaining life. Yea, a delay in your decision to sign-up for or not sign-up for Part B could get costly.

Whether to sign-up for Medicare Part B or not when turning 65 and being a U.S. expat and maybe not being 100% sure if Thailand will be your home for the remainder or you life and getting hit with much higher Medicare premiums if returning to the U.S. can probably make the Medicare sign-up decision when turning 65 a little tough for some U.S. expats.

Now, if Thailand could come up with a good medical plan for expats with monthly premiums equal to or less than Medicare Part B premium costs, then I expect some (maybe many) U.S expats would sign up for it.

You laid that out perfectly. I agree with you,,,,,,,, many US expats would sign up for it.

It would be a realistic and workable plan.

There is also a relatively inexpensive way for Brit expats to ensure that no matter how long they have lived outside the UK, they can return for medical care with no issues. You simply have to carry on paying a fairly low level National Insurance contribution...level D I think, someone here will know. Just call the appropriate office in the UK, get a quote, and pay monthly, done. But of course many here do not want the UK 'Government' knowing where they are etc and only want the Government when they perceive they need help because things are going to start getting expensive or difficult. You can't have your cake and eat it !

There is also a relatively inexpensive way for Brit expats to ensure that no matter how long they have lived outside the UK, they can return for medical care with no issues. You simply have to carry on paying a fairly low level National Insurance contribution...level D I think, someone here will know. Just call the appropriate office in the UK, get a quote, and pay monthly, done. But of course many here do not want the UK 'Government' knowing where they are etc and only want the Government when they perceive they need help because things are going to start getting expensive or difficult. You can't have your cake and eat it !

I've never heard that before. As far as I know, if you are a non-resident then you need to return and live in the UK for about 1 year I think before you qualify for the NHS, unless you can claim to be an asylum seeker. Accident treatment is still free, though for anyone in the UK.

But who wants to be put on an NHS waiting list? I certainly don't. If I was seriously ill, I would either pay for my own treatment in a good hospital in Thailand or Singapore or pay for private treatment in the UK. The cost may not be as different as some think. I once found that private treatment in UK for a triple heart bypass is about 9000 quid - about the same as Bumrungrad. Strange, I know but that's what I found out from my sister in the UK who is a nurse. I don't know if that includes resident costs but it's only a few days as you are expected to be out and about asap possible after the surgery.

There is also a relatively inexpensive way for Brit expats to ensure that no matter how long they have lived outside the UK, they can return for medical care with no issues. You simply have to carry on paying a fairly low level National Insurance contribution...level D I think, someone here will know. Just call the appropriate office in the UK, get a quote, and pay monthly, done.

Thanks Gentleman Jim but is that in fact so?

I have just done a search about that and guidelines for treatment from the Dept of Health don't mention it. They say you must be "Resident" to obtain free treatment....that is the criteria.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074374

Could your Level D thing just be a sort of fake evidence that one is in fact resident in the UK?

If you were in fact right it may well be worth paying as a backstop for big treatment.

(I notice that even with the healthcareinternational prices mentioned earlier, which seemed very reasonable, they in fact more than triple between the 60-65 age group and the 70-75 age group. More reason to try to use the UK as a backstop, especially when one's paid during one's low-risk years.)

Edited by cheeryble

The regulations changed in October last year. You are now required to be 'ordinarily resident' in the UK in order to receive free healthcare on the NHS. Paying National Insurance (of whatever variety) or being a British citizen do not make you 'ordinarily resident' if you've been out of the country for more than three months. The full regulations are here http://www.dh.gov.uk/health/2012/10/overseas-visitors/

I've never heard that before. As far as I know, if you are a non-resident then you need to return and live in the UK for about 1 year I think before you qualify for the NHS,

Not quite right check out the link on my last post....OH a new poster also gave details last post

I once found that private treatment in UK for a triple heart bypass is about 9000 quid - about the same as Bumrungrad.

Also inaccurate.......seems to be averaging about 20k GBP though cheaper may be possible not 9k.

However.....India looks like a real option at about a quarter to a third of UK prices with excellent expertise, low mortality, and infection rates at least at one hospital which does the most heart surgeries in the world.

Naturally a nice vindaloo or phal will aid the recovery process.

MEANWHILE (I so detest everything about it) the cost is average $70,000-$200,000 for a heart bypass in the US.

Typical costs:

• For patients covered by health insurance, out-of-pocket costs typically consist of doctor visit copays, prescription drug copays and coinsurance of 10%-50% or more, which could easily reach the yearly out-of-pocket maximum. Heart bypass surgery typically is covered by health insurance when medically necessary.
  • For patients not covered by health insurance, heart bypass surgery typically costs about $70,000 -$200,000 or more. Costs depend on the facility, but tend to be on the lower end without complications and on the higher end with complications. For example, St. Mary's Hospital in Wisconsin charges about $71,000. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire charges about $94,000, including doctor fee, after a 30% uninsured discount. Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Centerin Nebraska charges about $90,000 -$110,000, not including the doctor fee. AndBaptist Memorial Health Care in Tennessee typically charges about $75,000 -$115,000, not including doctor fee, but cost can increase to $215,000 or more with major complications. A surgeon fee can add $5,000 or more to the final bill.
  • According to an American Heart Association report, the average hospital charge for heart bypass surgery -- not including doctor fee -- is $117,094.

Isn't it time for a revolution?

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

I am 50 and have one for under 20,000 baht/year. Annual cover $500,000, standard inpatient 100% covered, approved with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, only catch is a $2000 deductable - but that's ok, I have it for emergency situations like bad traffic accidents or things like that. I don't mind paying the small stuff myself. (and void in US of course, but that's ok too, not planning to go there anytime soon). Their policy goes up to 75 years of age, after that "subject to negotiation" as with most companies.

I honestly don't understand this, you say the main reason you have health insurance is in case you have an accident in a vehicle, assuming you own a vehicle - don't you have motor insurance, I think a lot of people need to review and think long and hard about what they are paying for and why

we someone who pays 35k a year but once he turns 70+ when he will likely need it most they refuse to continue cover <deleted>

I didn't say anything about being in a vehicle. I meant any kind of traffic accident. Or some other unforeseen expensive sickness - heart attack, cancer, what do I know, anything expensive.

Correct. Medicare won't pay for medical services outside the USA. I have a group supplemental insurance that used to pay for medical treatments here for up to a 6 months stay outside the USA, but now it has changed to a max of 2 months. I am forced to go back every 2 months if I want to keep my insurance, so a Thai policy would be welcome. I recently had a 980,000 baht bill at Pattaya bangkok Hospital from a heart attack,soI don't want to risk being withoutbmedical insurance.

Correct. Medicare won't pay for medical services outside the USA. I have a group supplemental insurance that used to pay for medical treatments here for up to a 6 months stay outside the USA, but now it has changed to a max of 2 months. I am forced to go back every 2 months if I want to keep my insurance, so a Thai policy would be welcome. I recently had a 980,000 baht bill at Pattaya bangkok Hospital from a heart attack,soI don't want to risk being withoutbmedical insurance.

5 days in hospital for observation only, my Wife brought a hefty 1.5 million baht bill from good ole USA. expensive vacation.

nice to see they finally are going to offer US something ?

for people who already live here 5, 10, 20 years...

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

Then the place would be like the USA, with a bunch of foreign xxxxxx everywhere!

This thread is about Thailand and the OP, it's got nothing to do with the USA or medicare why do you people keep mentioning it - if you want to discuss your country specific issues then start your own thread, the WWW and this forum is multinational - it's a funny thing that when you ask an American where they are from on the "world wide web" they give the name of a town or a city expecting everyone to know - my answer is WTFIsTh-t, the reply is usually "well it's near.........." I ask - is that in India - then usually silence - realisation that planet earth is not USA

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

Well I guess that would bar me from going and a lot of others that don't have insurance. At my age, insurance is $600 USD/month. I never get sick when I have it either. I have gone to Thailand to have operations, and dental work. I really enjoy the fact that I can show up at a Thai ER and get treated for as little as 1,000 baht (including blood tests and xrays). In the States that would stick me with a bill for thousands of dollars. I am self-employed so I don't have the luxury of employer provided insurance, nor am I from a country with socialized medicine. Since Thai medical services are so cheap this would be a bad idea IMO.

This thread is about Thailand and the OP, it's got nothing to do with the USA or medicare why do you people keep mentioning it - if you want to discuss your country specific issues then start your own thread, the WWW and this forum is multinational - it's a funny thing that when you ask an American where they are from on the "world wide web" they give the name of a town or a city expecting everyone to know - my answer is WTFIsTh-t, the reply is usually "well it's near.........." I ask - is that in India - then usually silence - realisation that planet earth is not USA

They were probably expecting you to be educated enough to understand.

I am 50 and have one for under 20,000 baht/year. Annual cover $500,000, standard inpatient 100% covered, approved with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, only catch is a $2000 deductable - but that's ok, I have it for emergency situations like bad traffic accidents or things like that. I don't mind paying the small stuff myself. (and void in US of course, but that's ok too, not planning to go there anytime soon). Their policy goes up to 75 years of age, after that "subject to negotiation" as with most companies.

I honestly don't understand this, you say the main reason you have health insurance is in case you have an accident in a vehicle, assuming you own a vehicle - don't you have motor insurance, I think a lot of people need to review and think long and hard about what they are paying for and why

we someone who pays 35k a year but once he turns 70+ when he will likely need it most they refuse to continue cover <deleted>

I guess you don't live here nor have you ever research as to how insurance is actually sold here?

Vehicle insurance covers injuries to third parties, not to the vehicle owner.

Yes, there are insurance policies available here that will continue coverage without an upper age limit -- but the rates do increase with each 5-year "age band". As long as you keep making the payments, you'll have coverage.

Correct HOWEVER none that I have found will cover you past 70 if you are over 60 when you first apply for cover. Maybe some ultra-expensive policy might be available but nothing for 'ordinary' Farang folk; who are usually over 60 when they actually retire and come here to spend their retirement years. Unless you know better NancyL

I have free health cover in Thailand at my local hospital. If they cannot handle the situation I would be transferred to another, bigger, hospital, if referred, also free.

From reading most of this post I don't think you guys have a clue about this.

Have you got yellow books yet?

I wish people wouldn't post rubbish like this without a clear explanation as to what they're talking about

would you like to give details so as we can all understand

He is talking about free treatment under the universal healthcare scheme (formerly known as gold card). The original rules allowed anyone on a tabien baan to be included. I am registered in the scheme and have been since its first year, as I confirmed by going to my district office and asking them to check on the central computer. I know which hospital in my district I am entitled to go to for treatment but have never used it, as I don't fancy government hospitals much. I was told at the district office (about 2 years ago) that the rules subsequently changed to exclude anyone who is not a Thai citizens but foreigners who are already registered are grandfathered in.

I think they changed the rules in response to the 2008 Civil Registration Act that made it compulsory for district offices to register anyone not on a short term visa on a tabien baan. It took a long time for this to percolate through to district officers but it eventually led to a large increase in the number of yellow tabien baans (TR 13) held by foreigners.

You will probably say this is all rubbish but that is your prerogative.

• Like 1

I've never heard that before. As far as I know, if you are a non-resident then you need to return and live in the UK for about 1 year I think before you qualify for the NHS,

Not quite right check out the link on my last post....OH a new poster also gave details last post

It depends on how you become 'ordinarily resident' in the UK after being a non-resident.

I once found that private treatment in UK for a triple heart bypass is about 9000 quid - about the same as Bumrungrad.

Also inaccurate.......seems to be averaging about 20k GBP though cheaper may be possible not 9k.

However.....India looks like a real option at about a quarter to a third of UK prices with excellent expertise, low mortality, and infection rates at least at one hospital which does the most heart surgeries in the world.

Naturally a nice vindaloo or phal will aid the recovery process.

MEANWHILE (I so detest everything about it) the cost is average $70,000-$200,000 for a heart bypass in the US.

Yes, I just checked for heat bypass surgery - cost have risen and exchange rates changed since I last looked but is about 12000 quid in Bumrungrad and about 20000 quid in the UK (plus travel costs if u live here) - both include everything. However, it is possible to get cheaper in both the UK and Thailand if it's worth the risk or funds are scarce. It also depends on whether you want treatment in the UK or Thailand. It may also depend on what health problem you want to be treated, eg. cancer.

If you're older check out www.healthcareinternational.com. They are very reasonable if you opt for a $1,000 excess, which doesn't matter for outpatient treatment, etc, which is always cheap.

Peace of mind to have in case of any major accident or other surgery.

Got a quote for Emergency + Worldwide Excluding USA of about 50,000 quid a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a couple of points;

Someone mentioned car insurance not covering medical costs for the driver - only 3rd parties. That's not true for fully comprehensive insurance. I pay 12000 baht per year for fully comp car insurance and it covers a percentage of all medical costs for 2 drivers as well as all costs for 3rd parties if it's your fault.

Secondly, I have accidental insurance with BUPA - cost just over 2000 baht per year for up to 100,000 baht's worth of accidental insurance - it's also worldwide cover. But see below.

Thirdly, anyone involved in an accident in Thailand is entitled to free medical treatment in an accident and emergency unit. Applies also to expats. It won't apply to longer term care post-accident - just initial treatment, as far as I know.

If you're older check out www.healthcareinternational.com. They are very reasonable if you opt for a $1,000 excess, which doesn't matter for outpatient treatment, etc, which is always cheap.

Got a quote for Emergency + Worldwide Excluding USA of about 50,000 quid a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the one I use and I pay less than 20,000 THB/year with a $2,000 deductable. Assuming by quid you mean GBP, I think there must be a misunderstanding.

That's the one I use and I pay less than 20,000 THB/year with a $2,000 deductable. Assuming by quid you mean GBP, I think there must be a misunderstanding.

Sorry, yes - I got a quote for 63 people (my age!). I'll look into it but I guess the usual thing about pre-existing conditions/exclusions apply. But looks good anyway. Have you had to claim on this insurance whilst in Thailand before and, if so, did u have any hassles over payment?

I don't know what you mean by "63 people" - people aged 63 or people from '63 ? In either case, I am 50, next year I will be in the 51-55 bracket and the premium will go up about 10%. This is general for each age group so if you are 63 years old you would probably be paying around 27,000 baht/year for the Emergency package.

I just joined so have no experience with them myself, but they were recommended to me by an acquaintance who have been using them here in Thailand and he reported there were no problems. I also went to the Bangkok Pattaya insurance office and they confirm that they deal directly with this company with no need for cash payments.