Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most posters are missing the point.

Thailand is preparing to offer health insurance to migrant workers living in Thailand, as well as to expatriates and their families.

They want to SELL insurance to foreigners. It is not about worrying about whether or not non-nationals are a burden on the medical welfare system, they are not... there is no free care for non-nationals here.

I see this as a money grab. Looking at quotes I have seen for health insurance I was quoted here, they were low coverage and hugely expensive compared to insurers located overseas. So I expect that someone has a financial interest in selling low value insurance to non-nationals. I would not be surprised if the payouts are hard to get too. Just someone trying to grab more money from foreigners and give minimum in return.sad.png

I was tempted to reply to the OP yesterday, but having read quite few replies felt drowned by the negative response. I revisited the OP today and thought what the hell, so here goes......

I purchased travel insurance here in Thailand for the first time about 10 years ago which I renew on an annual basis.

A couple of years ago whilst in Shanghai, I picked up an infection which required a day in a private hospital which my hotel arranged for me.

When I returned to Thailand I went to the insurance company’s

office, produced the hospital bill along with a letter from the doctor who

treated me, completed a claim form which was checked by 2 members of staff. I

was asked to sit down and wait for 15 minutes whilst the paperwork was

processed and a cheque for the full amount would be available for me to take

with me.

What can I say, excellent service.

If you're older check out www.healthcareinternational.com. They are very reasonable if you opt for a $1,000 excess, which doesn't matter for outpatient treatment, etc, which is always cheap.

Peace of mind to have in case of any major accident or other surgery.

Got a quote for Emergency + Worldwide Excluding USA of about 50,000 quid a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the one I use and I pay less than 20,000 THB/year with a $2,000 deductable. Assuming by quid you mean GBP, I think there must be a misunderstanding.

Sorry, yes - I got a quote for 63 people (my age!). I'll look into it but I guess the usual thing about pre-existing conditions/exclusions apply. But looks good anyway. Have you had to claim on this insurance whilst in Thailand before and, if so, did u have any hassles over payment?

I opened the link up but it would not allow me to fill in the information.

I see that it had a age bracket for 71 to 75. More than likely expensive with a bunch of things it won't cover.

• Like 1

I once found that private treatment in UK for a triple heart bypass is about 9000 quid - about the same as Bumrungrad.

Also inaccurate.......seems to be averaging about 20k GBP though cheaper may be possible not 9k.

However.....India looks like a real option at about a quarter to a third of UK prices with excellent expertise, low mortality, and infection rates at least at one hospital which does the most heart surgeries in the world.

Naturally a nice vindaloo or phal will aid the recovery process.

MEANWHILE (I so detest everything about it) the cost is average $70,000-$200,000 for a heart bypass in the US.

Yes, I just checked for heat bypass surgery - cost have risen and exchange rates changed since I last looked but is about 12000 quid in Bumrungrad and about 20000 quid in the UK (plus travel costs if u live here) - both include everything. However, it is possible to get cheaper in both the UK and Thailand if it's worth the risk or funds are scarce. It also depends on whether you want treatment in the UK or Thailand. It may also depend on what health problem you want to be treated, eg. cancer.

Bummer bypass surgery and cancer.

Cheaper and better for recovery in Thailand. You can get a live in care giver for a fraction of what you would pay at home for a part time care giver.

That's the one I use and I pay less than 20,000 THB/year with a $2,000 deductable. Assuming by quid you mean GBP, I think there must be a misunderstanding.

Sorry, yes - I got a quote for 63 people (my age!). I'll look into it but I guess the usual thing about pre-existing conditions/exclusions apply. But looks good anyway. Have you had to claim on this insurance whilst in Thailand before and, if so, did u have any hassles over payment?

I opened the link up but it would not allow me to fill in the information.

I see that it had a age bracket for 71 to 75. More than likely expensive with a bunch of things it won't cover.

I just found the price list, in the 61-65 year bracket the annual fee is $1,175. The last bracket listed is 66-70, there the fee is $1,762. After that "Premiums available on request".

I don't know what you mean by "63 people" - people aged 63 or people from '63 ? In either case, I am 50, next year I will be in the 51-55 bracket and the premium will go up about 10%. This is general for each age group so if you are 63 years old you would probably be paying around 27,000 baht/year for the Emergency package.

I just joined so have no experience with them myself, but they were recommended to me by an acquaintance who have been using them here in Thailand and he reported there were no problems. I also went to the Bangkok Pattaya insurance office and they confirm that they deal directly with this company with no need for cash payments.

Phil - I meant 63 people - I completed the form wrong . It looks good but will study the small print in due course and check with my hospital also to see if it deals with this company. I am surprised they don't ask many questions about medical history - I assume they will ask them if there are any claims. I am in robust health but I am always confused about how to answer these questions. I am also a bit confused about where is all the small print, conditions, exclusions, limits etc - I don't want to pay a premium until I have read them all.

I don't have insurance here. If I get sick I hope I am in a good enough condition to go back home for treatment. I never use a private hospital. I think government hospitals are good enough to help you with most problems.

Taking an insurance that covers enough is not an option (not enough income for that). I think many foreigners in Thailand are in the same group as I am. Whatever Thai government is going to propose will not help us because it will either be useless (too small cover) or out of our budget.

• Like 1

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

Self-insurance is fine, if you have the funds available to pay for unexpected medical bills.

Two years ago, I decided to self-insure. The health insurance I had was due to go up 23%. I had not filed a claim in 4 years, and wasted nearly 200,000 baht. So, I took the 51,000 baht, and stuck it in my safe. Told the company to stick that up their butt. This year, adding the minimum of 15% increase, I took 58,000 baht, and put it in the safe. Now, I have 109,000 baht and counting. I figure if I go ten years without an incident, I will have saved 600,000 baht, plus. I got accident insurance, which covers up to 500,000 baht in hospital bills. Not too worried about getting sick. So, there you have it.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

Self-insurance is fine, if you have the funds available to pay for unexpected medical bills.

Two years ago, I decided to self-insure. The health insurance I had was due to go up 23%. I had not filed a claim in 4 years, and wasted nearly 200,000 baht. So, I took the 51,000 baht, and stuck it in my safe. Told the company to stick that up their butt. This year, adding the minimum of 15% increase, I took 58,000 baht, and put it in the safe. Now, I have 109,000 baht and counting. I figure if I go ten years without an incident, I will have saved 600,000 baht, plus. I got accident insurance, which covers up to 500,000 baht in hospital bills. Not too worried about getting sick. So, there you have it.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually, that's been my philosophy so far and your statement makes me think about maybe not getting some just now. I've always been in good health and have no pre-existing conditions, although I could do with losing fewer brain cells. I can afford to pay on an ad hoc basis and also have cheap accident insurance from BUPA for 2000 baht that covers up to 100,000 baht and covers worldwide. I'm tempted to take some recommended in this forum from healthcare international but it doesn't cover for outpatient care, care in the UK or Bumrungrad so not sure now. Every time I look at health insurance from different companies, I end up putting it to one side and forgetting it until a topic like this comes along. There is simply not enough going for almost all these policies when I consider the affordability of cash payments for hospitals in Thailand and my health history and lifestyle.

For retired American's (65 yo) Medicare A&B covers 80 to 95 percent of health care bills. But, you have to get treatment in the U.S. or one of the territories. Guam is the closest to Thailand, with Hawaii next. It is unclear how many Expats actually go back to get treatment for serious illness.

I kept me Part B when I moved to Thailand 2 years ago. After spending months looking at every expat plan offered, I got a policy with AIA that will cover most common problems (appendix, gall bladder, accidents, infections, etc.). It is about $150/month. Keep in mind that AIA does not have any of the documents in English, so spend the money and get the important parts translated.

There is also a new, well funded, effort by an international hospital consortium to put some pressure on the U.S. congress to extend Medicare coverage in places that have first rate medical facilities and providers. The U.S. hospital accreditation extended its reach to many countries years ago. There is a growing movement pushing international medical reciprocity agreements; almost like extending general trade agreements. Maybe 2-3 years, hopefully.

It would be good if the Thai government would set rates by procedure, as is the case in most EU countries.

This doesn't even work in the UK...

i.e. You can get insurance for elderly Australians etc. coming to the UK on holiday. You can't get UK insurance for an over-70 Thai (I know - I tried - mother-in-law went over last year for a few months). The only option was to get a US insurance policy for her, but making sure it was one that covered international use (and because it was a US policy you were using internationally, I dread to think of how much hassle it would have been to claim on (she's back now - didn't get ill while she was there, and had made a point of getting her regular pacemaker check done just before she left).

Admittedly, the NHS would always treat accident victims etc. for free, or until stable if falling ill suddenly - and then you might be charged after they're stable... - so I honestly contemplated not getting insurance at all, as the the US policy has all the bits for ambulance and emergency treatment that are the bits that are covered, even for tourists, by the NHS anyway.

thoughts by my mate back in Bath;

Tourists pay the top rates in treatment however young back packers are often penniless and potentially wreckless with booze and drugs. They are also accident prone with high rates of motorcycle crashes.
If they are not covered by insurance it can be a messy business.

Most commonsense tourist have insurance anyway.

I think Thailand is getting prosperous right across the board and they despise low budget travellers.

The Film" The Beach" glamorized modern day adventurers reflecting kids getting blasted in full moon beach parties . This is in complete contrast with Thai traditions and the religious calendar when consumption of alcohol and wild parties are out of bounds on lunar days.

Bar girls are forbidden to work on those lunar days and bored tourists flock to full moon parties
which brings revenue to the organisers. It seems that Thailand's huge tolerance to this practice
has allowed this phenomenon to grow to enormous proportions equalling the mass booze teenage resorts of Greece and Spain.
This is typically an Anglo-Saxon export of the worst kind.

It will not be long before there will be a general clampdown on loutish behaviour in Siam. The americans used to have a crap reputation in Asia now the British Jeremy Kyle excrement of British society are crowding asia with their foul behaviour.

In all evidence if people behave sensibly and in manageable numbers beach parties are great but greed and and criminality are intertwined ruining it all for all.

In truth Thailand does not need us anymore. Tourism of a much higher class is now the norm.
We are the ones who <deleted> up what was a perfectly wonderful land.

Yes, I have returned...to snow and siberian temperatures and crappy UK.

XXX with my brotherly blessings.

I don't think this guy is quite with the program, the fact he mentions the cost of Thai elderly and the increased burden on the government could be interpreted as - he wants foreign tourists to subsidise the Thai health system in some way, I can't see how foreigners are a burden to the system unless he's talking about those from neighbouring Asian countries - as already mentioned if a falang needs emergency treatment they don't get it unless they can pay - I think I donate quite enough to the Thai economy without having to be extorted with some insurance scam

The Thais need to realise that the cost of looking after their citizens is expensive - deal with it, I won't be paying for it

I've never heard that before. As far as I know, if you are a non-resident then you need to return and live in the UK for about 1 year I think before you qualify for the NHS,

THIS IS GINJAGS REPLY and some how got put here---The words on the form are----NOT NORMALLy RESIDING----- If this is the case you do NOT get increment increaseson your state pension. seam to apply to most things.

Not quite right check out the link on my last post....OH a new poster also gave details last post

It depends on how you become 'ordinarily resident' in the UK after being a non-resident.
Edited by ginjag