Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

you cannot force people to have medical insurance period, for those that are suggesting it lets see how you feel when your age prevents you from getting cover or it is so expensive you cannot pratically afford it, plus there are many who come here from countries like the UK and EU that provide free (well national insurance) medical services to everyone, if those said people want to come to Thailand to live then there most likely will be so many preconditions or age restrictions that health insurance wouldn't be worth it

I actually think that Thailand as a tourist country that makes huge money from visitors and expats has a certain responsibility to provide limited free or very cheap cover to people coming here, and for expats - allow them paid access to the Thai health system with some sort of yearly subscription

European countries provide government healthcare to permanent residents but not temporary residents. When the gold card first came in, Thailand included all included permanent residents in the scheme and they are still grandfathered in but for some reason later redefined eligibility for Thai citizens only. If they went back to the original status quo and allowed permanent residents into the scheme again, they would be at parity with European countries but it wouldn't help the vast majority of long stay foreigners in Thailand because they can't qualify for permanent residence.

Tourism income is indeed important to Thailand, including that from long stay tourists, including retirees. I think we will eventually see a system whereby they either show evidence of insurance or sufficient funds for self-insurance or get included in the Social Security or Gold Card schemes via a lump sum or monthly payments. Since the Social Security scheme will go broke when large numbers of members start qualifying for their pensions and more and more private hospitals are opting out of it due to losses incurred from the low fees, these two government schemes will eventually have to be merged.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see they finally are going to offer US something ?

for people who already live here 5, 10, 20 years...

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

While I could have self-insured, I've had health insurance in Thailand since the day I started living in Thailand. Just seemed to make sense. Health issues come to us all sooner or later, and are responsible for wiping out an awful mess of folks' savings, taking their homes, etc., back in the USA. In a fundamental sense, we are all ultimately self-insured, in that insurance companies don't really like to pay and if you get to be too expensive, they'll do just that - stop paying. Or cancel your policy outright. That said, my health insurance is through Ayudhya Allianze. Bupa also offers expats health insurance in Thailand, though they pissed me off right off the bat. There are others. It's not all that expensive. Mine is around 30-35,000 Baht per year, I think. Coverage in USA specifically excluded.

But this article does talk about migrant workers, and not the typical expat. And migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar don't often have the cash to pay for healthcare here in Thailand. Most Thais don't either, hence the "30 Baht healthcare" deal for them.

Happy to see they're looking at the issue of health insurance in any case. One can only hope that this will result in improvements for one and all.

You pay 30-35,000 per year.Can you tell us your age,and also is treatment for any illnesses excluded.

Sure. I've just turned 60. I think I was 57 when I began with this coverage. The insurance company will review things every four years or so, I think, and raise the rates slightly. There are no exclusions, except for the previously mentioned "void in the USA" clause. Another detail worth mentioning is that any cancer treatment is a one shot. By that, I mean they'll cover treatment exactly one time and then no more.

Another detail worth mentioning for the potential customer: I live in the north, where treatments cost less. I was told that healthcare in Bangkok costs about 20% more, and so the rate for coverage there would also be higher.

you are very naive if you think you will be provided as you get older - I have personal experience of this with my parents who had private cover for years and suddenly they were left with nothing - insurance companies are renowned for getting older people off the books or making cover so expensive and restrictive that it's not worth it - and they can tell you what ever you want to hear right now while you are paying - just give it time and you'll see were you're at as the risk increases with age - google is your friend

like someone just mentioned that had a work permit - they were allowed to maintain their national heath access if they continued to keep up the monthly 350baht payments so why not roll it out to all expats

Because the Social Security Fund was never a financially viable concept and is just about bankrupt. Corruption in managing the fund will expedite that.

you cannot force people to have medical insurance period, for those that are suggesting it lets see how you feel when your age prevents you from getting cover or it is so expensive you cannot pratically afford it, plus there are many who come here from countries like the UK and EU that provide free (well national insurance) medical services to everyone, if those said people want to come to Thailand to live then there most likely will be so many preconditions or age restrictions that health insurance wouldn't be worth it

I actually think that Thailand as a tourist country that makes huge money from visitors and expats has a certain responsibility to provide limited free or very cheap cover to people coming here, and for expats - allow them paid access to the Thai health system with some sort of yearly subscription

European countries provide government healthcare to permanent residents but not temporary residents. When the gold card first came in, Thailand included all included permanent residents in the scheme and they are still grandfathered in but for some reason later redefined eligibility for Thai citizens only. If they went back to the original status quo and allowed permanent residents into the scheme again, they would be at parity with European countries but it wouldn't help the vast majority of long stay foreigners in Thailand because they can't qualify for permanent residence.

Tourism income is indeed important to Thailand, including that from long stay tourists, including retirees. I think we will eventually see a system whereby they either show evidence of insurance or sufficient funds for self-insurance or get included in the Social Security or Gold Card schemes via a lump sum or monthly payments. Since the Social Security scheme will go broke when large numbers of members start qualifying for their pensions and more and more private hospitals are opting out of it due to losses incurred from the low fees, these two government schemes will eventually have to be merged.

sorry but you are talking rubbish

Why all the grumpy responses? This is very positive, both because it will hopefully be convenient for foreigners living in Thailand and because it shows a positive attitude fro the Thai government. More of this please.

Yes, but take an average expat retiree in Thailand, he applies for medical insurance, obviously they will want to know your'e medical history. Is the doctor you had before you emigrated to Thailand going to send a copy of your'e medical history out? Another scenario, your average expat, full off alcohol, smoke, and vastly overweight, asks an insurance company for medical insurance. What are the chances of them getting it? None I would imagine.

• Like 2

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

While I could have self-insured, I've had health insurance in Thailand since the day I started living in Thailand. Just seemed to make sense. Health issues come to us all sooner or later, and are responsible for wiping out an awful mess of folks' savings, taking their homes, etc., back in the USA. In a fundamental sense, we are all ultimately self-insured, in that insurance companies don't really like to pay and if you get to be too expensive, they'll do just that - stop paying. Or cancel your policy outright. That said, my health insurance is through Ayudhya Allianze. Bupa also offers expats health insurance in Thailand, though they pissed me off right off the bat. There are others. It's not all that expensive. Mine is around 30-35,000 Baht per year, I think. Coverage in USA specifically excluded.

But this article does talk about migrant workers, and not the typical expat. And migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar don't often have the cash to pay for healthcare here in Thailand. Most Thais don't either, hence the "30 Baht healthcare" deal for them.

Happy to see they're looking at the issue of health insurance in any case. One can only hope that this will result in improvements for one and all.

You pay 30-35,000 per year.Can you tell us your age,and also is treatment for any illnesses excluded.

Sure. I've just turned 60. I think I was 57 when I began with this coverage. The insurance company will review things every four years or so, I think, and raise the rates slightly. There are no exclusions, except for the previously mentioned "void in the USA" clause. Another detail worth mentioning is that any cancer treatment is a one shot. By that, I mean they'll cover treatment exactly one time and then no more.

Another detail worth mentioning for the potential customer: I live in the north, where treatments cost less. I was told that healthcare in Bangkok costs about 20% more, and so the rate for coverage there would also be higher.

How does your policy work out at age 72?

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

I agree with Alfiecon - my medical insurance is based on my VISA card. I always check before I depart to get clearance to travel (pre-existing condition). The record is online rather than in paper form and I don't want to be printing off reams of paper to satisfy this and other requirements that may seem sensible, until you really THINK about them.

You would deny what many may see as an improvement and a logical benefit to a system because YOU don't want to print out proof of your insurance ?

I have Bupa - and I too would have to print out the proof of cover, but I really don't see that as a show stopper for a policy which may improve things.

Still - the differing opinions in this topic all make valid points of discussion.

Why? That would just open up for more ways to extort money from foreigners. The next step would be putting in guidelines for how much it should cover, and when, before you know it you're forced to sign up for some absurdly priced luxury health care insurance based on US health care prices.

Leave it as it is. It is up to the individual if they want healthcare and how much. Some people prefer to be self-insured, not paying absurd amounts to a business who is here only to make money (insurance companies). If you have time on your hand look up how one of the worlds richest men became rich investing in insurance companies - Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway

you are very naive if you think you will be provided as you get older - I have personal experience of this with my parents who had private cover for years and suddenly they were left with nothing - insurance companies are renowned for getting older people off the books or making cover so expensive and restrictive that it's not worth it - and they can tell you what ever you want to hear right now while you are paying - just give it time and you'll see were you're at as the risk increases with age - google is your friend

If you take the time to read what I said, I think you'll find the desire of insurance companies not to pay has already been discussed. I have additional funds set aside in case they're needed. But I hope they aren't needed for as long as possible. As I said above, we are all self-insured in a fundamental sense. The last thing I want is to be 75 years old and at the mercy of the charity of a Thai hospital. Or even worse - an American hospital. One thing is certain, however: we're all going to die, and that often involves being sick beforehand.

BTW, I neglected to mention that my wife's health insurance is 17,000 Baht now. It started out at 12,xxx Baht 3-4 years ago. She is Thai, and so sometimes takes advantage of the 30 Baht health plan. But the additional insurance isn't so expensive, and I'd rather see her well taken care of than less (an air conditioned recovery room is better than one that isn't, for example).

sorry but you are talking rubbish

In what respect?

How does your policy work out at age 72?

It ends then, and so I will necessarily be self-insured at that time. And I have the money for that as well, in part because I do not self-insure at this time.

Were Thailand to somehow make additional insurance available to expats, it would be quite welcome. If they were to also tell their insurance companies that they can't cancel the policies of the elderly, that would be most welcome, too. And so again, I'm happy to see that they're looking into the health insurance requirements of foreigners.

• Like 1

Why all the grumpy responses? This is very positive, both because it will hopefully be convenient for foreigners living in Thailand and because it shows a positive attitude fro the Thai government. More of this please.

Yes, but take an average expat retiree in Thailand, he applies for medical insurance, obviously they will want to know your'e medical history. Is the doctor you had before you emigrated to Thailand going to send a copy of your'e medical history out? Another scenario, your average expat, full off alcohol, smoke, and vastly overweight, asks an insurance company for medical insurance. What are the chances of them getting it? None I would imagine.

The article is actually rather muddled which probably reflects the statement of the health minister, since reporters like to quote verbatim without attempting to make sense of what was said.

The article talked about medical insurance in the context of the AEC which probably means they are thinking of some type of reciprocal agreement for ASEAN citizens. The references to migrant labourers don't make much sense because they are supposed to be in the Social Security scheme and even undocumented labourers and dependents have to be treated by government hospitals on an emergency basis to prevent the spread of disease and for humanitarian reason, although it doesn't always work out like that. However, they probably want to rationalise these arrangements.

The references to expatriates and their families is unclear but probably refers to expatriate workers and their families and may just refer to ASEAN expatriates. Expat workers are of course covered by the Social Security fund but their dependents are not.

Nowhere is there any reference to foreign retirees or long stay tourists. They are probably not included in the minister's thinking at this stage, since very few of these are ASEAN citizens.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

The people without health / medical insurance are a burden on their friends....

Regarding the people who self insure - Thats more difficult. As with any policy, its for the protection of the masses, there is not a singular 'please all, fix'...

But, I suspect that the amount of foreigners in Thailand who have the 'spare cash' sitting in the bank as self insurance is not much.

Getting cover for the older foreigners is the tricky part.

It works for the Schengen Visa to Europe - All Foreigners applying for a Schengen visa need proof of insurance on application, a similar policy in Thailand would mirror that.

What about me? I can't get medical insurance because of my age.

The key word in the OP is Thailand "mulls".

In the same league as Yingluck saying that Thailand will "take steps" regarding ending ivory trading.

It will only happen if certain individuals benefit financially from it.

• Like 1

I am 50 and have one for under 20,000 baht/year. Annual cover $500,000, standard inpatient 100% covered, approved with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, only catch is a $2000 deductable - but that's ok, I have it for emergency situations like bad traffic accidents or things like that. I don't mind paying the small stuff myself. (and void in US of course, but that's ok too, not planning to go there anytime soon). Their policy goes up to 75 years of age, after that "subject to negotiation" as with most companies.

I had LMG health insurance for quite a few years here in Thailand. They said they would never cancel me because of age. What they didn't tell me is that they would boost the premiums enough to price me out. The policy had a 1.2 million baht per occurrence limit. These days that's not enough anyways.

I am now self insured and if I have a long drawn out illness, I guess I could go to the US and use medicare. No one seems to know what Obummercare is going to be like or if an expat could even use it. When I turned 65 years old, the lady from Social Security told that since live in Thailand that it would be a waste of money for me to pay for part B.

i aggree with that opinion ....also we have to show 400 000,or 800 000 baths,depending on the visa every year.... and locked for 2 months in a bank account !

i think thats enough money insurance for an emergency.

in return for such treatment they should give us at least a free medical care every year for all the money we did or bring here

Set prices..... what happened to free market economy?? hubba hubba!!

Free market economics has never worked when it comes to the provision of health care. Which is why 99% of governments in developed countries step in with either global coverage, or mandated health insurance where premiums are set and long term restrictions for pre-existing conditins are non existent.

I had LMG health insurance for quite a few years here in Thailand. They said they would never cancel me because of age. What they didn't tell me is that they would boost the premiums enough to price me out. The policy had a 1.2 million baht per occurrence limit. These days that's not enough anyways.

I am now self insured and if I have a long drawn out illness, I guess I could go to the US and use medicare. No one seems to know what Obummercare is going to be like or if an expat could even use it. When I turned 65 years old, the lady from Social Security told that since live in Thailand that it would be a waste of money for me to pay for part B.

I dunno... Not so sure it would be a waste of money. I mean, when you're older and sick and maybe dying, you probably won't have the time, interest or ability to think about whether Part B would be a waste of money or not. But if it could help you to not die or not be sick somehow, then you'd probably wish you had it. If it's not too expensive, I'd go ahead and get it, even though Medicare is unusable outside the USA.

Reality is health care ain't cheap any more in Thailand. I now would not come to Thailand without some form of medical cover.

Kasikorn atm card fee every year now offers a slightly higher fee that provides some medical care. The wife has claimed on this several times and they typically pay half your medical fees. Seems like it only covers operations and medical work. You still have pay for the cost of staying in the hospital.

I am 50 and have one for under 20,000 baht/year. Annual cover $500,000, standard inpatient 100% covered, approved with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, only catch is a $2000 deductable - but that's ok, I have it for emergency situations like bad traffic accidents or things like that. I don't mind paying the small stuff myself. (and void in US of course, but that's ok too, not planning to go there anytime soon). Their policy goes up to 75 years of age, after that "subject to negotiation" as with most companies.

Seems a damned good rate to me, though of course, it'll increase as you age. When I terminated my job to leave the USA, I asked about keeping my health insurance there. Yes - I could do that, they said. The cost to continue for a single man age 57 would be a low, low $780 per month. That's pretty close to what you're paying for a year's health insurance here. Not bad at all, in comparison.

I declined continuation of that health insurance in the USA, of course...

There is really no reason fo persons coming here not to have insurance, unless you are over 70, then it becomes cruelly expensive, even for those who are fit. The insurance companies quickly see it as a way to get more money.

When i visited the USA over the past ten plus years where i had NO HEALTH insurance I would semi jokingly tell my friends if i got sick to take me to the airport to catch a flight to thailand where i have BUPA rather than take me to a USA hospital who would likely take everything i own.

Now i am 65 and have medicare in USA so the advice is if i get sick in Thailand take me to the airport for USA. I still maintain a BUPA policy in Thailand since i spend six months a year here and i have medicare part a and b in usa. Not a perfect solution but works ok. Medicare part b is only 104 usd a month so worth it for some peace of mind.

Health insurance is a very complicated question and there seem to be a lot of misinformation in some of these posts.

I have heard many stories of farangs going to public hospitals in thailand and getting the 30 baht treatments. Frankly i am surprised that any hospital in Thailand would give any farang the 30 baht plan. I got it once myself even though it was minor ailment and i told them i could pay full price....but they insisted i pay 30 baht.

No doubt there are many farangs who try and game the Thai system and get 30 baht treatments which i THINK but am not sure is supposed to be only for Thai nationals? If that is indeed the case then i do not blame thailand for trying to get it under control....why should thailand pay for health care for a bunch of farangs who likely have no health insurance at home and come to thailand with no insurance and expect/demand thailand take care of them for free if they get sick? Try getting free care in the usa and see how that works out.

why impose anything to anybody?

people should be free to make their own choices

• Like 1

Grumpy because there are many foreigners here with barely two cents to rub together. The idea of paying more for the visa means either they would have to return home or live here visa-less.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

What did I just shell out a load of money for then if this health insurance for foreigners is some new idea they have just come up with?

More realistically, I know many on (UK£) pensions who simply cannot afford it.

why impose anything to anybody?

people should be free to make their own choices

so should governments...