Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see they finally are going to offer US something ?

for people who already live here 5, 10, 20 years...

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

While I could have self-insured, I've had health insurance in Thailand since the day I started living in Thailand. Just seemed to make sense. Health issues come to us all sooner or later, and are responsible for wiping out an awful mess of folks' savings, taking their homes, etc., back in the USA. In a fundamental sense, we are all ultimately self-insured, in that insurance companies don't really like to pay and if you get to be too expensive, they'll do just that - stop paying. Or cancel your policy outright. That said, my health insurance is through Ayudhya Allianze. Bupa also offers expats health insurance in Thailand, though they pissed me off right off the bat. There are others. It's not all that expensive. Mine is around 30-35,000 Baht per year, I think. Coverage in USA specifically excluded.

But this article does talk about migrant workers, and not the typical expat. And migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar don't often have the cash to pay for healthcare here in Thailand. Most Thais don't either, hence the "30 Baht healthcare" deal for them.

Happy to see they're looking at the issue of health insurance in any case. One can only hope that this will result in improvements for one and all.

Edited by RedQualia

...this would not be a humanitarian gesture....

...it is to feign civility........and increase the flow of tourists.....

There's no claim by the ministry that it's meant to be a humanitarian gesture. You're refuting a "straw man" of your own creation.

I can't see a massive influx of big spending tourists who choose their destinations based on some minimal health insurance coverage.

If there's any attempt at humanitarian gestures, it would be this:

Pradit also said that Thailand will work with NGOs such as the World Health Organization (WHO) to bolster its neighbors’ healthcare infrastructure, therefore obviating the need for cross-border medical traffic.

... which would reduce the number of people travelling here for medical reasons.

Edited by Suradit69

A month ago I fell 18' thru a roof to a cement slab. busted both wrists and broke a heel bone. 2 days hospital (in dorm) and treatment cost Bt.74,000 . I had accident insurance which took Bt.30k off the sum.

A gov't program to offer reasonably priced insurance to farang and guest workers would probably be a good thing. However, I don't agree with mandatory insurance for all visitors to Thailand.

Thailand has no law that says everyone must be treated if they have money or not. If they treat foreigners, their passport is retained until they are paid. Medical care in Thailand is relatively inexpensive. G7 medical insurance is very expensive and should not be required for a visa. In addition Thailand is not known for medical freeloaders coming for free treatment, whereas some EC countries are and the costs of care are much higher.

• Like 1

It might be very unwise to offer healthcare insurance to foreigners. The healthcare business is a defacto monopoly only Americans would lie to themselves by telling the world that their are market forces at work. Unless the government forces prices of any kind of treatment on all hospitals and disallow hospitals to do unnecessary checks, healthcare will become as unaffordable as in the US. Laws must be passed to that prevent greedy lawyers from suing hospitals for alleged malpractice. People who need treatment have no bargaining power, they can't compare prices from anything from emergency rooms to tests. This plan may therefore make insurance policies for Thai people far too expensive. Hong Kong hospitals show that it is bad news for citizens of a country when medical tourism becomes rule. Hong Kong people can hardly find a place to get birth anymore. Rich foreigners will force Thais out of their care while poor foreigners will swamp government hospitals making the waiting time for Thai patients very unpleasant. Thai politicians need to be taught that live is not always about making as much money as possible.

• Like 1

Why would the perception that "'they' really care about 'us'" be of any importance? Are some people so needy that they have to be cared about by governmental ministries? It seems a very sensible business idea since it relieves hospitals from the potential burden of treating people unable to pay for the treatment.

It takes something like ASEAN to do this. What about the past? Foreigners have been living here for years. Very typical.

It's all about selling headlines and building up the perceived idea they really care about us... whistling.gif

>

>Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

If they are unisured & unable to pay, they are a potential burden on hospitals obliged to treat people in the event of medical emergencies. Those hospitals will then pass that additional cost on to other patients in the form of higher charges to compensate for losses generated by uninsured foreigners.

How are they a burden? More likely if the hospital admit them without proof of funds, then it's the hospitals that are a burden on themselves.

Edited by Time Traveller

Wow. The thought of medical insurance required to obtain a visa. Moronic at best.

Why moronic?

some people who on a visit had an accident and ran up a very high bill in ther hospital.Friends and family had to collect money to get him/her out of hospital.in Had Yai last year one ran up a bill of a few million Bath he could not pay and the hospital made a loss.It is irresponsible not to get a medical insurance.

• Like 1

Health Care Obama style is why I left the USA...Once your OLD where is this big Money for Premiums going to come from?

Many here are just getting by the way it is with the drop in Dollar to Baht and anything extra on there Pensions will be sure Death...

I cant get health insurance in Thailand due to my age. Health insurance companies love Thailand. They can refuse to insure elderly people. In Australia they can not do this. They have to insure the elderly whether they like it or not.

In years to come there will be many foreigners in the same situation. You can not insist on health coverage for elderly visitors if it is not available to them. So what is the answer?

• Like 2

Wow. Thailand runs the risk, with this proposal, of being guilty of helping foreigners living here. Imagine that! The word could get out, that Thailand is paying regard to the nearly one million foreigners living here, spending their money here, building homes, buying and running businesses, and supporting the country in a hundred other ways. Could we be seeing progress? This is something many of us are unaccustomed to, so give us a while to digest this concept.

• Like 2

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

Self-insurance is fine, if you have the funds available to pay for unexpected medical bills.

A great idea but of course as said in other posts way way too long in the coming. Ex-pats like me have been around for decades without any kind of health provision, other than that you wish to subscribe to yourself ! This will be fine as long as it is not just another 30 baht scheme such as was introduced for Thai nationals a few years back ! Or am I just getting cynical in my old age! lol.

When I finished my job in Thailand last year and handed back my work permit, I was pleased to discover that if I continued to pay around THB 350 per month I would continue to be covered by the Thai Social Security forever.

Sure it doesn't get me a private room etc., at BNH, Bumrungrad, but there is selection of excellent Thai Private hospitals to choose from.

As for the THB 30 scheme my wife has just had a major operation under the scheme and despite all the pooh-pooing from certain people, we have nothing but praise for the care she received. I feel eventually the scheme will need to change. But for now we cannot fault it.

They have to start some where and it will be a learning process for the insurance and the insured, insurance isn't that easy, especially with all the fraud that goes on, every where! I guess they needed to do this, other wise other insurance companies from other ASEAN lands may beat them to the ball

It takes something like ASEAN to do this. What about the past? Foreigners have been living here for years. Very typical.

Personally I think it is a great idea. Not sure of any other country that offers government insurance to foreigners who are not covered with their normal insurance plan.

There are countries such as England where you are covered just because you are in the country for free I have been told. But they like Canada where I am from have to wait long periods of time to receive medical attention.

When I say medical attention I am not talking about a visit I am talking about Hospital care other than an accident. Unless you have money to purchase immediate care,

My friend in Canada had triple bypass surgery and he had to wait a year to get it. His doctor told him he could have the same day care for $100,000 in Seattle. I myself had an MRI and had to wait a year to get it. Now they have private clinics who when I left there were in the $800 range.

I know in Canada I had to be what is known as a Landed Immigrant to qualify for their health care plan. In the States all one had to do is have piles of money.

Edited by hellodolly

I think most posters are missing the point.

Thailand is preparing to offer health insurance to migrant workers living in Thailand, as well as to expatriates and their families.

They want to SELL insurance to foreigners. It is not about worrying about whether or not non-nationals are a burden on the medical welfare system, they are not... there is no free care for non-nationals here.

I see this as a money grab. Looking at quotes I have seen for health insurance I was quoted here, they were low coverage and hugely expensive compared to insurers located overseas. So I expect that someone has a financial interest in selling low value insurance to non-nationals. I would not be surprised if the payouts are hard to get too. Just someone trying to grab more money from foreigners and give minimum in return.sad.png

you are speaking through your bottom.

Thailand already has a pretty good track record of offering state health care to foriegners. One of the conditions for the million or so migrant labourers from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar who work legally in Thailand is to pay 1000 baht for medical coverage through the state before their 2 year work and resident permits are issued. It is a little clunky, but it works.

• Like 1

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

While I could have self-insured, I've had health insurance in Thailand since the day I started living in Thailand. Just seemed to make sense. Health issues come to us all sooner or later, and are responsible for wiping out an awful mess of folks' savings, taking their homes, etc., back in the USA. In a fundamental sense, we are all ultimately self-insured, in that insurance companies don't really like to pay and if you get to be too expensive, they'll do just that - stop paying. Or cancel your policy outright. That said, my health insurance is through Ayudhya Allianze. Bupa also offers expats health insurance in Thailand, though they pissed me off right off the bat. There are others. It's not all that expensive. Mine is around 30-35,000 Baht per year, I think. Coverage in USA specifically excluded.

But this article does talk about migrant workers, and not the typical expat. And migrant workers from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar don't often have the cash to pay for healthcare here in Thailand. Most Thais don't either, hence the "30 Baht healthcare" deal for them.

Happy to see they're looking at the issue of health insurance in any case. One can only hope that this will result in improvements for one and all.

You pay 30-35,000 per year.Can you tell us your age,and also is treatment for any illnesses excluded.

I cant get health insurance in Thailand due to my age. Health insurance companies love Thailand. They can refuse to insure elderly people. In Australia they can not do this. They have to insure the elderly whether they like it or not.

In years to come there will be many foreigners in the same situation. You can not insist on health coverage for elderly visitors if it is not available to them. So what is the answer?

The answer is simple and I am sure we will see it within the next 5 years or so. You will either show evidence of health insurance or sufficient funds to pay for a medical emergency when you apply for a visa or extension.

This will not have an impact on foreigners on work permits because they are covered by the social security fund. Tourists can, I believe, get some basic short term travel insurances regardless of age.

The impact will be on long stay foreigners not working who are on retirement and marriage extensions. I can imagine that evidence of funding for medical emergencies for those without medical insurance might be of the order of B100-300k. Perhaps it would have to paid as a deposit to the government.

As we all know, long stay foreigners are not wanted here by the government but are merely tolerated as long as they contribute financially. If we can't contribute enough or present a risk of upaid bills at government hospitals, why would they want to grant visas to us.

Their answer will be that you should go home and live in Australia and let your own government take care of you in your old age.

They think we are mad not to take advantage of free money offered by farang governments. Saying that this wouldn't be allowed in Australia just proves their point.

Edited by Arkady

I wonder what these Thai ministers drink in the evenings as they seem to get up with some type of money making idea, god help us, we will look after ourselves thank you like we have had to.

you cannot force people to have medical insurance period, for those that are suggesting it lets see how you feel when your age prevents you from getting cover or it is so expensive you cannot pratically afford it, plus there are many who come here from countries like the UK and EU that provide free (well national insurance) medical services to everyone, if those said people want to come to Thailand to live then there most likely will be so many preconditions or age restrictions that health insurance wouldn't be worth it

I actually think that Thailand as a tourist country that makes huge money from visitors and expats has a certain responsibility to provide limited free or very cheap cover to people coming here, and for expats - allow them paid access to the Thai health system with some sort of yearly subscription

• Like 2

Never, unless you can qualify for PR or citizenship and have a lot of patience.

They are not offering you anything.

The best insurance is a healthy lifestyle. clean food, exercise, fresh air. Unfortunately, most expats here in Thailand drink fermented sugars every day - and because they're self-inflicting bad health, it runs insurance rates up for others of their ilk.

• Like 1

You pay 30-35,000 per year.Can you tell us your age,and also is treatment for any illnesses excluded.

Sure. I've just turned 60. I think I was 57 when I began with this coverage. The insurance company will review things every four years or so, I think, and raise the rates slightly. There are no exclusions, except for the previously mentioned "void in the USA" clause. Another detail worth mentioning is that any cancer treatment is a one shot. By that, I mean they'll cover treatment exactly one time and then no more.

Another detail worth mentioning for the potential customer: I live in the north, where treatments cost less. I was told that healthcare in Bangkok costs about 20% more, and so the rate for coverage there would also be higher.

you cannot force people to have medical insurance period, for those that are suggesting it lets see how you feel when your age prevents you from getting cover or it is so expensive you cannot pratically afford it, plus there are many who come here from countries like the UK and EU that provide free (well national insurance) medical services to everyone, if those said people want to come to Thailand to live then there most likely will be so many preconditions or age restrictions that health insurance wouldn't be worth it

I actually think that Thailand as a tourist country that makes huge money from visitors and expats has a certain responsibility to provide limited free or very cheap cover to people coming here, and for expats - allow them paid access to the Thai health system with some sort of yearly subscription

As Inderstand it, spending less than 90 days pa in the UK I am no longer enttiled to free NHS treatment

Thai Nationals visiting Europe must show proof of insurance and I see no problem with visitors here needing the same. The 'average' tourist spending some 2 weeks drinking, jet-skiing, etc are more likely to be in need of medical treatment than those of us here live here more carefully.

• Like 1

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Why ? people without Health Insurance aren't a burden on anyone apart from themselves and what about all the people who self insure !

The people without health / medical insurance are a burden on their friends....

Regarding the people who self insure - Thats more difficult. As with any policy, its for the protection of the masses, there is not a singular 'please all, fix'...

But, I suspect that the amount of foreigners in Thailand who have the 'spare cash' sitting in the bank as self insurance is not much.

Getting cover for the older foreigners is the tricky part.

It works for the Schengen Visa to Europe - All Foreigners applying for a Schengen visa need proof of insurance on application, a similar policy in Thailand would mirror that.

Yes, I agree

But that is for tourists only.

Because after 45 days, Schengen rules, your home insurance is ended, and travel insurance ALSO has a limit.

It is in fact, about expats.

No insurance from home, or against impossible prices.

No Thai insurance because of any pre-exising condition, or idiot prices.

I would happily ride along on the Thai state insurance, pay the legal monthly premiums, or double or triple.

• Like 1

like someone just mentioned that had a work permit - they were allowed to maintain their national heath access if they continued to keep up the monthly 350baht payments so why not roll it out to all expats

• Like 2