The Russians, Revisited...

swissie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this item is actually worthy of a new thread, but I think I have exceeded my new Pattaya baht bus threads "quota" for the time being, so here goes.

There is a REAL issue with the way many Russian speaking people (no way of knowing if they are all actually Russian nationals) behave on baht buses!

Yes, there is a noticeable cultural difference easily observable to anyone who regularly rides the public transport system in Pattaya -- the baht bus system. I am sorry if some people might think this report comes off as "anti-Russian" as I really don't think so; I am talking about a clear pattern of my objective observations.

As a generality, many of them HOG multiple seats and seem completely oblivious that other people need/want to sit down even when their asses are right on their faces!

It's truly amazing.

In America, we would would ask, were you raised in a barn?

I realize a lot of Russians like to charter the buses as TAXIS, but when they board as a bus, they STILL often act as if they own the taxi!

The other day there was a side with FOUR people, easily room for one or even two more people (as regular riders know, a side with five is standard, a side with six is often done as well). A Russian man was hogging two seats and his womanly unit was to his left against the rear cab wall. The bus was moving rapidly and I had no choice but to sit between the couple or I would have fallen down. To make this more clear, yes, I SAT ON HIM because he wouldn't move! They could see me coming, they could see I was going for a seat, but they chose to make NO response. They looked truly shocked that another rider was claiming a seat he also was going to pay for. Like I was the rude one!

As some might recall, no, this is not the first time I have been put in situations where I am SITTING directly on Russian people, and clearly it won't be the last!

I am sorry, this kind of behavior is really common among the Russian speaking crowd here. I will continue to shock them by rightfully claiming my seats if there is possible space.

LOL. Did you have to sit on him? I would have just motioned him to move and squeezed in.

I think this item is actually worthy of a new thread, but I think I have exceeded my new Pattaya baht bus threads "quota" for the time being, so here goes.

There is a REAL issue with the way many Russian speaking people (no way of knowing if they are all actually Russian nationals) behave on baht buses!

Yes, there is a noticeable cultural difference easily observable to anyone who regularly rides the public transport system in Pattaya -- the baht bus system. I am sorry if some people might think this report comes off as "anti-Russian" as I really don't think so; I am talking about a clear pattern of my objective observations.

As a generality, many of them HOG multiple seats and seem completely oblivious that other people need/want to sit down even when their asses are right on their faces!

It's truly amazing.

I realize a lot of Russians like to charter the buses as TAXIS, but when they board as a bus, they STILL often act as if they own the taxi!

The other day there was a side with FOUR people, easily room for one or even two more people (as regular riders know, a side with five is standard, a side with six is often done as well). A Russian man was hogging two seats and his womanly unit was to his left against the rear cab wall. The bus was moving rapidly and I had no choice but to sit between the couple or I would have fallen down. To make this more clear, yes, I SAT ON HIM because he wouldn't move! They could see me coming, they could see I was going for a seat, but they chose to make NO response. They looked truly shocked that another rider was claiming a seat he also was going to pay for. Like I was the rude one!

As some might recall, no, this is not the first time I have been put in situations where I am SITTING directly on Russian people, and clearly it won't be the last!

I am sorry, this kind of behavior is really common among the Russian speaking crowd here. I will continue to shock them by rightfully claiming my seats if there is possible space.

LOL. Did you have to sit on him? I would have just motioned him to move and squeezed in.

There was no time. It was sit or fall down. He was 100 percent oblivious to anything but his crowd of fellow Russkies. If he had behaved normally like a civilized person he had PLENTY of time to see me coming to the rear of the bus to claim an OBVIOUS seat (that he was hogging). He was actually in a bigger group and they were settled in as if they owned the truck. Yes I try to avoid sitting directly on Russians (so far only Russians) but it happens. Of course it was quite uncomfortable sitting between the two Russkies that I had split up, they continued talking over me. Also to be clear this was NOT anything like a squeeze situation, this was a man blatantly hogging TWO large spaces who didn't budge one bit when another rider was approaching. I would have been happy to move where the lady was sitting to get them together again but that didn't seem feasible to arrange based on the vibe after ... SITTING on the man. Of course he did move after I sat on him ... no choice.

I will also note on this bus, there were NO top rails, so I had nothing to hang onto, to give me more time before sitting.

Yes you don't even have to say it, there is a risk I will start a fight that way. I'll take that risk. I'm claiming a seat if there is a space. I'm not going to let the dominant Russian crowd intimidate me. The baht buses are in Thailand and in Thailand people fill the rails with people. This is not Russia.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes you don't even have to say it, there is a risk I will start a fight that way. I'll take that risk. I'm claiming a seat if there is a space. I'm not going to let the dominant Russian crowd intimidate me. The baht buses are in Thailand and in Thailand people fill the rails with people. This is not Russia.

Maybe it's time to consider buying a scooter?

Maybe it's time to consider buying a scooter?

Thank you. No. Baht buses are safer. End of story.

It's truly amazing.

It`s the same if you get on an airplane with them.4 years ago I (unfortunately) had to fly with Aeroflot from Bkk and in the waiting area before we boarded the plane you had a few people taking all the seats.People where sleeping,putting their bags on the seats and didn`t care about the 200+ of us who where left standing.

And the strangest things was that the people who where left standing for 1 hour didn`t seem annoyed at all.I usually don`t have an issue with Russians&Ukrainians here in Pattaya,but the things you mentions about the baht-busses pisses me off.

• Like 1

Yeah, I reckon if this keeps up I'll have to start using my pet American Indian name: Sits-on-Russkies ...

coffee1.gif

BTW, I'm not svelte. w00t.gif

Interesting point you made, not only is the space hogging behavior considered normal by that crowd but they expect OTHER people to consider it acceptable as well.

Watch out, here comes Sits-on-Russkies ...

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, many new faces and cultures from Russia and former Eastern Block Countries.

A mere 20 years ago, they were not free to travel. Other foreigners need to be tolerant and just accept this as a fact of life in our ever changing world.

Remembr Westerners were not always here either.

Seems far too many have "Forgotten' that they too are All Visitors here. Foreigners Are Not Thai, Nor will they Ever Be. One's Children born to a Thai National will be, but not the foreigner parent. Only a Visitor with a Visa.

People need to get over their "XenoPhobia" (fear of other races or cultures).

Don't worry where another person comes from. It is not important to know where they come from or Generalize about all persons from their Race, Culture, or Country.

I personally ignore people that ask me first, "Where Do I Come From ?". Many times this is just an opening line from the person asking the question to start an argument or an opinion about their perception of my Country or Culture.

Judge a person by their person and actions, not a perception or feelings about their Country, Race, or Culture.

I agree with all of that except the part about ignoring people if they ask you where you are from. It's a general opener into having a conversation with a stranger, which I have no problem with at all.

I should clarify the "ignore the where do you come from question" coming from those persons as a direct opening line and has nothing to do with anything else going on at the time. Far too many times I have found it to be an opener for a conflict from the person asking the question, so I avoid those persons. This Does Not Include Thai Ladies. These type of questions most often come from those that you can see obviousely have a "Attitude" and feel they want to start a conflict or confrontation with someone of a different Nationality or Culture from their's. I think many of us have a Sixth Sence of these Type of Persons. But in reality; where a person comes from as "An Opening Line or Question, is Unimportant and Irrellivant".

After preliminary Congenil greetings are exchanged and a normal conversation started, then I use my own judgement "If I want to Discuss where I come from". Here in Thailand us Expats come from many different places, so really not relevant as an Opening Line.

Except when coming from Thai ladies: "Hello Handome Man. Where do you come from, what's your name ? biggrin.png

Edited by KimoMax

It`s the same if you get on an airplane with them.4 years ago I (unfortunately) had to fly with Aeroflot from Bkk and in the waiting area before we boarded the plane you had a few people taking all the seats.People where sleeping,putting their bags on the seats and didn`t care about the 200+ of us who where left standing.

And the strangest things was that the people who where left standing for 1 hour didn`t seem annoyed at all.I usually don`t have an issue with Russians&Ukrainians here in Pattaya,but the things you mentions about the baht-busses pisses me off.

There are times and situations where it doesn't pay to be too polite. I would have no qualms about asking someone to move his bag off a seat or move over if he was taking two. If he didn't want to move it off I'd do it for him.

You really have to stand your ground here these days. It's far better to stand your ground than getting frustrated and upset.

Yes, many new faces and cultures from Russia and former Eastern Block Countries.

A mere 20 years ago, they were not free to travel. Other foreigners need to be tolerant and just accept this as a fact of life in our ever changing world.

Remembr Westerners were not always here either.

Seems far too many have "Forgotten' that they too are All Visitors here. Foreigners Are Not Thai, Nor will they Ever Be. One's Children born to a Thai National will be, but not the foreigner parent. Only a Visitor with a Visa.

People need to get over their "XenoPhobia" (fear of other races or cultures).

Don't worry where another person comes from. It is not important to know where they come from or Generalize about all persons from their Race, Culture, or Country.

I personally ignore people that ask me first, "Where Do I Come From ?". Many times this is just an opening line from the person asking the question to start an argument or an opinion about their perception of my Country or Culture.

Judge a person by their person and actions, not a perception or feelings about their Country, Race, or Culture.

I agree with all of that except the part about ignoring people if they ask you where you are from. It's a general opener into having a conversation with a stranger, which I have no problem with at all.

I should clarify the "ignore the where do you come from question" coming from those persons as a direct opening line and has nothing to do with anything else going on at the time. Far too many times I have found it to be an opener for a conflict from the person asking the question, so I avoid those persons. This Does Not Include Thai Ladies. These type of questions most often come from those that you can see obviousely have a "Attitude" and feel they want to start a conflict or confrontation with someone of a different Nationality or Culture from their's. I think many of us have a Sixth Sence of these Type of Persons. But in reality; where a person comes from as "An Opening Line or Question, is Unimportant and Irrellivant".

After preliminary Congenil greetings are exchanged and a normal conversation started, then I use my own judgement "If I want to Discuss where I come from". Here in Thailand us Expats come from many different places, so really not relevant as an Opening Line.

Except when coming from Thai ladies: "Hello Handome Man. Where do you come from, what's your name ? biggrin.png

I have never been asked where I'm from as an opener to a conflict. Perhaps it's because I don't drink or hang around drunk people here. I suppose in the wrong places a drunk Brit could try to make fun of an Aussie, and it could escalate, but I'm just not in those kind of places.

I've had (sober) Russians ask me where I'm from many times - they're just trying to start a friendly conversation.

There are times and situations where it doesn't pay to be too polite. I would have no qualms about asking someone to move his bag off a seat or move over if he was taking two. If he didn't want to move it off I'd do it for him.

You really have to stand your ground here these days. It's far better to stand your ground than getting frustrated and upset.

Yes nowadays I tend to do against them like they do to others....don`t give way to them on the sidewalks and giving them a bit of an elbow when I pass some of them mad.gif !!!

It must be effective........on my last trip loads of them talked to me in russian whistling.gif !!!

Edited by Yahooka
  • Like 1

Funny, but I bet the Russians think the very same thing about the other nationalities that litter the landscape in sin city by the sea. What gives any of you the right to stake claim to turf in Thailand when you can't even own the dirt you stand on?

• Like 2

Yes nowadays I tend to do against them like they do to others....don`t give way to them on the sidewalks and giving them a bit of an elbow when I pass some of them mad.gif !!!

It must be effective........on my last trip loads of them talked to me in russian whistling.gif !!!

Forcefully Bumping another Did'nt work out too well for a Farang a few days ago that I saw Forvefully Bump a Big Body Building Type Guy. Think the guy doing the Bumping set a New Record in the 100 Meter Dash cheesy.gif

Edited by KimoMax
  • Like 1

Forcefully Bumping another Did'nt work out too well for a Farang a few days ago that I saw Forvefully Bump a Big Body Building Type Guy. Think the guy doing the Bumping set a New Record in the 100 Meter Dash cheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I just add what every Thai massage lady I spoke with on my last trip in January said: "Russia too much". I have my own doubts that a lot of Thai girls are anxious to go to Russia, even if they are desperate to leave Thailand and try for that foreign hookup.

I just add what every Thai massage lady I spoke with on my last trip in January said: "Russia too much". I have my own doubts that a lot of Thai girls are anxious to go to Russia, even if they are desperate to leave Thailand and try for that foreign hookup.

would it surprise you that these lovely ladies are paid to make you feel good you handsome man and probably detected the slightest hint of Russia phobia in you.

Btw, I can speak a smattering of Chinese and once I was next to a bloke from China and the massage lady was not only stroking his feet, she was also telling him (in Chinese, surprisingly) how many Thais prefer Asian tourists because "same same think" and they all don't like farang because their "money is small now".

I wonder what they tell the Russians?

Believe what you will, you Hamsun man. :lol:

They don't normally use the word "too" correctly.

Too much = many

Do you think Thai working girls really understand the differences between foreign countries? I don't think they do.

Too much = many

Do you think Thai working girls really understand the differences between foreign countries? I don't think they do.

I'm not sure but I do tend to think longer term Thai locals DO roughly see differences between western Europeans (etc.) and Russians.

Too much = many

I'm not sure but I do tend to think longer term Thai locals DO roughly see differences between western Europeans (etc.) and Russians.

Going on looks alone that would be difficult.... but really, as long as they have money to spend would they really care about any perceived differences.

IMO Russians are a little more "Thai" in their mannerisms than many of us more polite nationalities.

IMO Russians are a little more "Thai" in their mannerisms than many of us more polite nationalities.

Would you gies an example, please?

Russians are not very polite people - neither are Thais. They're a fairly good match.

Russians are not very polite people - neither are Thais. They're a fairly good match.

But Thais like to think they are polite. I don't get that feeling from Russians.

But Thais like to think they are polite. I don't get that feeling from Russians.

I just feel that Thais blend better with Russians than with other nationalities who are super polite.

It really depends on the people one's socializing with. What nation would be an paragon of politeness then? Most of the western people I've seen in Pattaya are quite disgusting, regardless of nationality, I hate to admit. Luckily I never had to go there in 10 years.

It really depends on the people one's socializing with. What nation would be an paragon of politeness then? Most of the western people I've seen in Pattaya are quite disgusting, regardless of nationality, I hate to admit. Luckily I never had to go there in 10 years.

I suspected as much. I don't want this to become another Pattaya bashing thread. There's plenty of polite Western people here. I'm Australian/Dutch/NZ, and we are rather polite.

My experience is in Pattaya only. This is where the Russians we are discussing are, and this is the Pattaya forum.

It's not a matter of who I'm socializing with - it's a matter of who I'm communicating with on a day to day basis - people in the street, shops, restaurants and other businesses.

• Like 1

You say," Most of the Western people i've seen in Pattaya are quite disgusting". You then inform us you have never been there in 10 years! Quite possibly one of the most illogical and ridiculous statements i have ever read on this forum.

• Like 2

I should have been more clear:

After living in Pattaya for 7 years between 1997 and 2004 I packed my bags and moved.

I haven't visited the place ever since.

Judging by the news and what my friends, who live there permanently, tell me, the things haven't improved.

And I did say "Most of the Western people", not "All the Farang".

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Barabbas