Suggestions For Expat Dining/nightlife

winnedge

Hi

I am coming to Phuket in a week with a couple of friends and I am thinking of

moving there permanently.

Staying in Chalong area for a couple of weeks and would appreciate any tips were I can get a good, cheap

food - the sort of places that expats go to. (no girlle bars though LOL) and or

night time fun.

Also the best shopping tips if anyone can point me in the right direction for the bargains

without paying tourist prices.

Thanks All!

You won't find anything cheap in Phuket, which is in my opinion overpriced ( when we visited my Thai family were paying 70baht for noodles compared to 25bt in Chiang rai).

Phuket is also overcrowded and the locals a lurking to rip you off. My advice is to travel around and take a look at other places, there are many places near and away from the sea that are more genuinely Thai, where you will have a better quality of life. Enjoy your holiday!

Though you may be technically correct in some of what you say, the man asked about Chalong. I doubt he'd be interested in traveling to Chiang Rai to save ~฿50 on a bowl of noodles.

To the OP, your best bet is to get out there and explore and look around. I'm not familiar with Chalong, but there's plenty of places to get a good decent and decently priced meal in Phuket. Word of mouth can lead you in some right directions, and you can decide for yourself which you do or don't like. And by the way, I know of at least 3 places in Patong where you can get a really good bowl of noodles for ฿40. Enjoy!

You won't find anything cheap in Phuket, which is in my opinion overpriced ( when we visited my Thai family were paying 70baht for noodles compared to 25bt in Chiang rai).

Phuket is also overcrowded and the locals a lurking to rip you off. My advice is to travel around and take a look at other places, there are many places near and away from the sea that are more genuinely Thai, where you will have a better quality of life. Enjoy your holiday!

Where is your home country since you think 70 baht is expensive for a bowl of noodles that someone prepares for you

You can always go to the supermarket and buy a cup of noodles and pour boiling water in it if you want to save money

Where is your home country since you think 70 baht is expensive for a bowl of noodles that someone prepares for you

You can always go to the supermarket and buy a cup of noodles and pour boiling water in it if you want to save money

My home country has been Thailand for quite a few years.

Small shops sell noodle soups for 35-40 baht here in Phuket. Compared to this 70B is expensive.

Try checking out Supercheap, if you need supermarket items or booze. In Chalong there is a restaurant called "Fatty's" that has great food and the portions are huge. On the street that runs through Chalong, across from TTT language school, there is a bar run by a nice girl named Tang, she speaks English and has a fair price. Many expats go there. Across the street and more toward the circle is a place that has a Sunday roast, all in for a few hundred baht. I forget the name but you can't miss the sign. There's a dive shop across the road from it. In P-town, on the main drag where all the bars are, there is one place that is uptown and reasonably priced. Hot girls!

Iannaman is right, the locals are right scum who will cheat you every chance they get. Many bars will add drinks to your ticket, so keep the bottles, or pay as you go. Restaurants will add items too.

There is a visible mafia presence, and an attitude of indifference, supported by the police, who do nothing to protect you or solve a crime committed on a tourist. Keep your wits about you and stay in a group if you are drinking.

Don't rent a jet ski!

• Like 1

The best eateries and nightlife near Chalong in my opinion is Phuket town. One of the reasons I don't understand why people chose to live in Chalong over Phuket town.

Nightlife:

Timberhut, Sofa, Sunaeha, Phukana, Roxy Bar etc

• Like 1

Small shops sell noodle soups for 35-40 baht here in Phuket. Compared to this 70B is expensive.

Same prices in rawai in Thai run restaurants, tourists traps are always more expensive for poorer quality food

I enjoy Thai food and we usually eat in Thai owned and run restaurants

Same prices in rawai in Thai run restaurants, tourists traps are always more expensive for poorer quality food

Rimlay next door to Nakitas is best in Rawai.

Clams in Basil and Garlic is to die for and at half the price of the tourist traps.

The best eateries and nightlife near Chalong in my opinion is Phuket town. One of the reasons I don't understand why people chose to live in Chalong over Phuket town.

Nightlife:

I tend to agree with this. Chalong is sort of a hybrid: half Patong ripoff, half Phuket Town non-ripoff. Personally I prefer the full-on experience of Patong (but only once in a great while) than anything Chalong has to offer. I am not impressed with any of the nightclubs or bars in Phuket Town, though. I think there is a real opportunity there for someone who can get the location and set-up right for a good expat hangout (think dart boards, pool tables, pretty girls, good music and room -- most of the bars in Phuket Town are too cramped and too loud).

Tango Bar (subsequently Boatyard) was a good hangout, but too remote to pick up much passing traffic...I guess that's why it closed. Anyway, if anyone finds a new hangout please keep us informed.

• Like 1

Nightlife:

I tend to agree with this. Chalong is sort of a hybrid: half Patong ripoff, half Phuket Town non-ripoff. Personally I prefer the full-on experience of Patong (but only once in a great while) than anything Chalong has to offer. I am not impressed with any of the nightclubs or bars in Phuket Town, though. I think there is a real opportunity there for someone who can get the location and set-up right for a good expat hangout (think dart boards, pool tables, pretty girls, good music and room -- most of the bars in Phuket Town are too cramped and too loud).

Tango Bar (subsequently Boatyard) was a good hangout, but too remote to pick up much passing traffic...I guess that's why it closed. Anyway, if anyone finds a new hangout please keep us informed.

I quite like the nightlife in Phuket town, but you are right there is a limitation on space and prime location..the two don't mix.

Is the Boat yard called Tango Bar now? Last time i was there was to hear the fuzztones play i think?!

Brazzerie is quite popular nowadays and is the Irish bar still open...o'malleys? They used to have a pool table and stuff.

Same prices in rawai in Thai run restaurants, tourists traps are aflways more expensive for poorer quality food

Clams in Basil and Garlic is to die for and at half the price of the tourist traps.

We regularly eat at a thai restaurant at the opposite end of rawai beach right on the beach front, first one at the end of the small side road

Excellent tasty Thai food and cheap beers, we eat there at least once and sometimes twice a week, our favourite thai restaurant

• Like 1

Same prices in rawai in Thai run restaurants, tourists traps are aflways more expensive for poorer quality food

We regularly eat at a thai restaurant at the opposite end of rawai beach right on the beach front, first one at the end of the small side road

Excellent tasty Thai food and cheap beers, we eat there at least once and sometimes twice a week, our favourite thai restaurant

We eat there also, although it has the nick name "slow shop" as they are very slow, but the food is definitely good.

• Like 1

Some great help everyone. So thanks a lot...

Will definitely try these out.

Usually hire a car and try different locations out but I heard that Chalong area was good for expats

rather than the touristy Patong area.

I will soon see for myself and really appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming.

It looks like one persons "cheap" is another persons "expensive" depending on where you come from

Will be looking out for that 30 baht sticky rice!

And looking for a good supermarket and bottle shop

Good Supermarket

Quite impressed with "Luga de Place" on a recent visit. It's a blue building at the bottom end of Rawai Beach - the Or Bor Tor end.

I'd call it 'middle range', but it's all done to a very high standard of cooking and service.

Quite impressed with "Luga de Place" on a recent visit. It's a blue building at the bottom end of Rawai Beach - the Or Bor Tor end.

I'd call it 'middle range', but it's all done to a very high standard of cooking and service.

We have eaten there a few times, try the one i mentioned, we usually go around lunch time and do not have to wait long for the food

The mother does all the cooking and you would have to wait for your food if its busy in the late afternoon and evening

Happy Days has the Sunday roast. Big green & white sign.

There are a few restaurants around the pier road. Indian. And one overlooking the bay that has a sensational view & beautiful setup. This is an area of dive shops, so food is no doubt attractive to starving divers returning from an energetic day.

There's also Jimmy's with another stunning view.

You can stagger up the road to Villa Market if you are desperate for an incredible array of Western food from all over the world. But then, you're going there to get away from Western food & entertainment :)

The Naka markets have an incredible array of Thai food. Best to go with a Thai person to help you choose. Pad Thai for 35 Baht. The roadside noodle shops are great for dinner, even if us primitives drink the soup as well. There's Issan food on the main road west from the Chalong circle. Near the plant nursery. If only I could take those orchids home!

Aaaaah! Can't wait! 26 more sleeps & it's Nakita's, Natural and all the above.The Big Buddha to check on progress. Elephants, elephants, elephants. Ya Nui & Nai Harn beaches. Smiling faces. Big Russian women laying about the beach in bikinis who make me feel like Twiggy. Yay!

When I am down Rawai way I try to stop at Archee Restaurant. Always a great meal. Good prices. I've been in a large group and because the kitchen is small, you may get your main when your buddies are already finished. Not a big deal to me.

Location: From Rawai Beach, go toward Phromthep Cape and it is a bit down on the left. Right near the turn off to Yanui Beach. Also, check TripAdvisor for a map.