Latest Developments on the Election Front

Jai Dee

the courts? surely you don't stand behind the original constitutional court ruling (and its interpretation) that dismissed Thaksins original assets concealment case where he conveniently forgot about transfering the assets with the maid and the driver? or how about that interpretation - the number of abstains + innocent votes was greater than those who ruled guilty? oh-ho. yep, easy to put a lot of faith in the system here.

if it was my country, i would probably be out in the streets too.

No, i don't exactly support the original ruling.

But then, i know just enough about the law in general that it rarely has anything to do with justice or common sense. That is why you need lawyers who have studied the subject.

Anyhow, there have been recently been several decisions by the courts that have far more wide reaching consequences for Thaksin than the demonstrations:

1) the ruling to allow Khunying Jaruvan back into her job.

2) the ruling to acquit Supinya

3) the EGAT ruling

4) shin corp and its advertising dollars no longer run by thaksin nominees (now singaporean nominees)

i don't disagree with you that it is not clear the opposition thought through things clearly when they just jumped right to "Thaksin get out" as opposed to taking a legal/political route. A large factor may be that the democrats saw an opening with the Sondhi movement and just went with the flow, taking the good with the bad.

however, rational people might be able to debate ad-naseum with respect to what the democrats could get accomplished through the court system. the recent dismissal of the constitutional court to even hear the recent case regarding Thaksins potential (potential is a diplomatic word here) conflict of interest may be the type of decision that provoked them to proceed on their current path.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should we go trhough legal options again? It has been done numerous times - none are available. Mostly because Thaksin is a sitting PM in charge of any investigaing organs, and the only independent body, NCCC, does not exist.

In people's eyes Thaksin is guilty beyond doubt. For two months he's been avoiding answering any questions and time to discuss his guilt has passed. We are beyond any "reasonable doubt" point.

DPM Chitchai discussed safety measures on the election day with the EC.

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) and the Election Commission (EC) discussed safety measures on the election day, especially measures for the three southernmost provinces.

General Chitchai said after meeting President of the EC General Wassana Permlarp (วาสนา เพิ่มลาภ) and EC commissioner Charupat Ruangsuwan (จารุภัทร เรืองสุวรรณ) that they discussed measures on safety during the election, especially for some areas in the three border provinces. He said that the safety measures will cover the vote-casting period, vote counting period, as well as transport of ballot boxes. He said that he will consult with the Southern Border Provinces Peace-building Command to send officials to risky areas in the border areas.

As for the bombing incident at the headquarter of the Democrat party, General Chitchai said that the police will investigate the case. However, he expected that the bombing may be intended to create the incident to worsen the current political situation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 March 2006

4) shin corp and its advertising dollars no longer run by thaksin nominees (now singaporean nominees)

i don't disagree with you that it is not clear the opposition thought through things clearly when they just jumped right to "Thaksin get out" as opposed to taking a legal/political route. A large factor may be that the democrats saw an opening with the Sondhi movement and just went with the flow, taking the good with the bad.

however, rational people might be able to debate ad-naseum with respect to what the democrats could get accomplished through the court system. the recent dismissal of the constitutional court to even hear the recent case regarding Thaksins potential (potential is a diplomatic word here) conflict of interest may be the type of decision that provoked them to proceed on their current path.

I urge you to google the two names mentioned in my last post. You will get a clearer understanding about the ulterior motives and vested interests that are behind the PAD.

Being against Thaksin does not have to mean to be for individuals with potentially far more undemocratic aims than Thaksin, regardless them waffling on about 'democracy'.

On a side note - a friend of mine went the other day shopping in Siam Paragon with his family, and had to encounter the demonstrations there. He and his half Thai son were screamed at to "get out" by demonstrators gathering at one of the entrances while he entered. Now, if their aim is to disrupt families shopping and to intimidate foreigners with their children they have perfectly achieved this. I wonder though if that sort of thing will give endear them to anyone.

Edited by ColPyat

Hmmm the PAD again ... is not running for office. It is possible that some people involved with the PAD have other reasons behind their push to oust Thaksin. I for one wouldn't hazard to guess* what people's motives are other than what they state.

on a side note I was unaware of any protests the other day at Siam Paragon.

I urge you to google the two names mentioned in my last post.

I actually did and couldn't find any relevance to the present situation. One is about 1976 massacre, another is about an author of a recent, and very popular, book, "Royal powers".

Someone mentioned once in BP's letters that Chamlong was somehow implicated in 1976 events. Is that what you are trying to prove? You can dig up dirt on Chamlong in some other thread because it's hardly a "recent development on election front".

We haven't discussed the latest Thaksin's national governemtn proposal, for example. One day he calls Sondhi a dog and another invites him to his cabinet. His elections are rolling out nicely, with advanced voting exceeding last year numbers (thanks gof, people do care!), everything seems to be under control, and then "national government".

Sign of desperation, if you as me.

Colonel, Sonthi or Jamlong's ulterior motives are beside the point; what Sonthi has done is to conduct a censure debate against Thaksin for the last few months.

He's invited prominent senators such as Jermsak and Kaeowsan, academics from famous universities, ex- ambassadors, managers from state enterprises such as TG, Egat, teachers, doctors, farmers; people from every cross-section of society have gone on stage to denounce Thaksin's policies of corruption, self interest, nepotism, abuse of human rights,etc.

The revelations, known previously by many but never so exposed, have galvanised many Thais to join the rallies.

The protestors are not rallying to cheer Sonthi and Jamlong, they are just sick of Thaksin's greed and destruction of Thai society, exposed at last.

Mr. Banharn: Resignation of Mr. Chuwit has no impact on the popularity of Chart Thai party

Chart Thai party leader Banharn Silapa-archa(บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) affirmed that the resignation of party member, Mr. Chuwit Kamolwisit (ชูวิทย์ กมลวิศิษฏ์) will not create any huge impact on the reputation of the Chart Thai Party.

Mr. Banharn said that the party has been popular among Thai nationals. Mr Banharn further added that if Mr. Chuwit performs his duties in accordance with his principles after he is selected as a member of the house, then the country will eventually gain benefit from his performances.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 March 2006

I urge you to google the two names mentioned in my last post. You will get a clearer understanding about the ulterior motives and vested interests that are behind the PAD.

Being against Thaksin does not have to mean to be for individuals with potentially far more undemocratic aims than Thaksin, regardless them waffling on about 'democracy'.

On a side note - a friend of mine went the other day shopping in Siam Paragon with his family, and had to encounter the demonstrations there. He and his half Thai son were screamed at to "get out" by demonstrators gathering at one of the entrances while he entered. Now, if their aim is to disrupt families shopping and to intimidate foreigners with their children they have perfectly achieved this. I wonder though if that sort of thing will give endear them to anyone.

i really don't hold anything against anybody with an axe to grind against Thaksin. especially since they are not running for office, explicit or otherwise. i am not sure many have disagreed with you that there are some alterior motives and vested interests in the PAD. but everybody has them - especially the party in power now. so this is what looks to be a weak point in your argument(s).

not sure about the story your friend told you while at Paragon. however, if you are going to judge a whole group by the actions of a few, or even a few actions of the whole, then you will always find something. but where does that get you?

the key for me is that they don't do something incredibly stupid - equivalent of shooting themselves in the head. all the PAD has to do keep itself out of trouble - Thaksin is more likely to shoot himself first.

i am curious though - if you actually find anything encouraging about what is going on?

I urge you to google the two names mentioned in my last post.

I actually did and couldn't find any relevance to the present situation. One is about 1976 massacre, another is about an author of a recent, and very popular, book, "Royal powers".

It's not about the '76 massacre, that is old news.

But please lets not discuss that book here, just read the criticism of the book and make out of it whatever you want.

siripon said:

Sonthi or Jamlong's ulterior motives are beside the point;

I disagree. Those are the two foremost leaders and strategists of the PAD. I believe it should be important to know about the people you follow and their motives. Or you will easily get a case of 'from the oven into the frying can'...

If Sondi or Chamlong were running for office it WOULD be important to know.

Great thing is ... they are NOT RUNNING for office.

I've scrolled back through my news cuttings ... could someone find me any reference to protests at Paragon " a few days ago"?

As election nears, confusion persists

If anybody claims to know how the political impasse will resolve itself, they are lying.

With four days to go until the April 2 election, the country’s political future remains as uncertain as ever: The People’s Alliance for Democracy is mounting more rallies, Thai Rak Thai politicians are still campaigning, the opposition parties continue to reject all advances by the ruling party, and the threat of violence still looms large.

“It could go either way,” said a seasoned government adviser, speaking on condition of anonymity yesterday. “We could still find a peaceful way out that would allow the country to move forward, or we could go backwards if violence occurs. Everything is still on the table.”

Though Sunday’s poll will be seen as illegitimate and is unlikely to produce 500 lawmakers, its results will still be telling. The government is counting on a turnout of about 80 percent, Thai Rak Thai support of about 60 percent and on no more than 30 constituencies requiring by-elections because uncontested candidates have not received the 20 percent of the vote required to become lawmakers.

Thaksin has already said that he would not return as prime minister if he does not win at least 50 percent of the vote, but his detractors do not believe him. Assuming he wins more than 50 percent, the battle will continue to rage on a legal, moral and political level.

Legally, the election looks bound to produce unprecedented questions that will be decided by the Constitutional Court, which the anti-Thaksin crowd has no faith in. Depending on the outcome, the court will likely have to make a decision on whether the newly elected Parliament can convene if the poll does not produce 500 members.

“I think the caretaker government will do everything it can to legalize the votes by using the Constitutional Court to justify its ends,” said Kanin Boonsuwan, a lawyer who initially drafted the successful complaint to the Administrative Court concerning the initial public offering of state-owned electricity firm EGAT. “But it won’t be that easy because the Constitutional Court, as well as the Election Commission, are pushed into a corner because nobody believes that they are neutral.”

Some legal experts will undoubtedly look at the election result as a trigger point for invoking the Constitution’s Article 7, a vague clause that some say allows His Majesty the King to step in during a deadlock to appoint an interim government. But though complications are likely, political analysts say it is unlikely the King would step in over a legal technicality that can be interpreted different ways.

“I don’t really see how the monarchy could step in,” said Prudhisan Jumbala, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. “How do you do it without appearing partisan? Sometimes we get dragged into a legal wrangle and lose the essence of a democratic Constitution.”

On a moral level, the stalemate could also become more confusing. While Thaksin’s own credibility as a moral leader was written off months ago, the opposition Democrats are now under increasing pressure due to fresh allegations that party secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban bribed a small-party candidate to make false allegations against leading TRT figures.

In addition, as the April heat sets in, public frustration with the People’s Alliance could grow if the mob succeeds in causing massive traffic jams in the city’s shopping district. An Assumption University poll released yesterday found that 71 percent of Bangkokians disagreed with PAD’s decision to shift its protest site to the congested downtown area, and a backlash could prompt more people to vote for Thaksin if they view his detractors as obstructionists offering no innovative policies.

“The poor are absolutely right to vote for Thaksin, as long as they have no alternative,” said Giles Ungpakorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, who is currently forming a new political party. “The Democrats are incapable of challenging Thaksin on policies, so they have turned their backs on the election…And the core PAD members have acted like decorations adorning [core leader] Sondhi [Limthongkul’s] stage. Its final call for royal intervention was Sondhi’s first position, so the fact that they joined Sondhi resulted in no change in policy.”

On a political level, developments could get more interesting. Rumors abound that Thaksin will voluntarily leave office, regardless of how many people vote for him. Party members say that if he stays, the gridlock will proceed indefinitely.

Whether his departure is temporary or permanent is beside the point, as he will always have the option of returning to politics. His exit would put more pressure on the opposition and PAD to accept the new government, but some analysts doubt whether anything would change.

“It would’ve been a solution a few months ago, but I’m not sure if it means anything anymore,” said Chulalongkorn’s Prudhisan. “Nobody appears quite willing to accept a clone.”

Although Thaksin’s appeal for a national unity government was rejected by the opposition parties, some advisers say the premier may yet go forward with some version of the plan. If Thaksin steps down, a neutral, more legal-minded TRT figure is likely to replace him and appoint a Cabinet of independent-minded technocrats.

The government could then ask someone connected to the Palace to oversee the process of selecting individuals who could help draft the Constitutional amendments, which would lend the process more credibility. Thaksin could then return in a year or so in an election contested by all parties.

“The main problem is that nobody sees a successor,” the government adviser said.

“There is nobody within TRT, nobody from the monarchy, nobody from the opposition and nobody from PAD. Thaksin was a dynamic leader, and people want someone like him but with a bit more honesty. Now everyone is looking for the next guy, but they can’t find him – otherwise, people would run towards him.”

Source: ThaiDay - 28 March 2006 21:40

Witness’ retraction puts her in bad light

Democrat party executives yesterday came to the defense of secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban after the woman who has accused him of detaining her, Thattima Pawalee, gave an emotional account of her ordeal on a television show late Monday night.

“The whole story has been distorted,” said Democrat party member Kiet Siti-Amorn. “The issue is whether she has broken any law regarding the election. Why sidestep the issue? She has signed a confession statement and recorded a confession on tape in the presence of many people. That’s the truth. For some reason, she has changed her statement.”

Appearing on Channel Nine’s Tueng Luk Tueng Khon interview show, hosted by Sorayuth Suthatsanachinda, Thattima recounted how she was detained, along with three other witnesses, at Suthep’s house in Surat Thani province. She alleged that Suthep paid her 300,000 baht of a promised total amount of one million baht to make on-the-record statements claiming that leading members of the Thai Rak Thai party (TRT) paid her to run in Sunday’s snap election.

Political analysts say both sides are now likely to attack her credibility, which could make the whole incident a wash. Suthep has denied the allegations, and Democrats say the latest claims made by Thattima, a party-list candidate from the tiny Phaen Din Thai party, are dubious at best. They counter that police or military officers threatened Thattima and paid her to recant her accusations. They insist that Suthep is guilty of nothing but acting as a middleman between Thattima and the Election Commission.

“Suthep was concerned for her safety, so he put her in a safe house,” said a party source, speaking on condition of anonymity. “Suthep might have given her some money for living expenses, so that might be spun as bribery.”

Thattima says she has a pay-in slip that proves 300,000 baht was transferred into her bank account, but the Democrats challenged it yesterday.

“That’s groundless,” said Democrat party member Sirichoke Sopha. “The slip doesn’t link the money to Suthep. She could’ve gotten the money from anywhere.”

Thattima’s charges come at a time when the main opposition party is fighting off criticism for boycotting the election and calling for Thaksin Shinawatra to step down as caretaker prime minister so that the Palace can appoint a new government.

Thaksin has greeted the Democrats’ proposal to solve the political crisis with disbelief, and other TRT members and political analysts called it a sign of weakness.

“I think the call for a royally appointed government is a step back for democracy,” said Giles Ungpakorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. “It’s unnecessary, and it stems from the fact that PAD and the Democrats know they will lose [in] an election. PAD and the Democrats have turned their backs on democracy and shown contempt for ordinary people, who, they say, are either bought off or ignorant.”

The Democrats remain confident that any investigation into Thattima’s charges will vindicate Suthep and clear the party of wrongdoing. They have no regrets about their principled stand to boycott the election.

Source: ThaiDay - 28 March 2006

Witness’ retraction puts her in bad light

“I think the call for a royally appointed government is a step back for democracy,” said Giles Ungpakorn, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. “It’s unnecessary, and it stems from the fact that PAD and the Democrats know they will lose [in] an election. PAD and the Democrats have turned their backs on democracy and shown contempt for ordinary people, who, they say, are either bought off or ignorant.”

Source: ThaiDay - 28 March 2006

Wow, this seems to be the first Thai political scientist professor quoted that knows the definition of democracy :o

My wife attended this weeks rallies and was telling me of a statement by southern Thais made on the stage, which to the best of my knowledge has gone unreported. They were saying that they would see how things went but the 11 could join the 3. Sondhi begged southerners not to take this route.

They were saying that they would see how things went but the 11 could join the 3.

Could you explain this portion of your post, please?

The 3 changwats in the deep south in a separatist struggle joined by the other southern Changwats.

Demagogue bullshit.

Only shows how split and immature the PAD and their allies are.

:D JDIA: luvin ya giving 'em heaps..insightful.pithy,intelligent,informed,direct, and this litany of applause to an American Abroad...WOULD CERTAINLY HAVE YOU SIT AT MY TABLE!! :D Dukkha

:D Thanks .. appreciate the compliment .... the guys on the receiving end of my wit and pointed remarks sadly never rise to the challenge! :o

immature???

The notion only that the southerners could join the independence struggle of the three southern provinces is ridiculous. The southern problem is ethnical/religious and nationalist and has a clear historical precedent.

There simply is no base as the other southern provinces are predominantly Buddhist and have been far longer part of Thailand than the three southern provinces who have only been recenty annexed.

It is pure idiocy that the southerners who may be predominantly staunch Democrat followers, and despise Thaksin, might even entertain the thought to seperate from the rest of Thailand. And they would hardly join ethnic Malay Muslims.

It is absolutely immature and pure theatralics that Sondhi goes on stage "begging" those southerners on the stage not to take this route. As if anyone with a bit of sense in the South would even entertain this thought. Ridiculous.

It very much fits to the kindergarden that goes on behind the stage.

I would anyone here advise to spend some time behind the stage of the PAD Rallies and observe the theatre there. It's right out of a Thai soap opera - these people are by now so far removed from any sort of reality with their fanatism that even the TRT-Thaksin court appears to be normal. Which it isn't.

Arrest of students protested

A group of students has protested the recent arrest of 20 of its members, including four underage youngsters, by Klong Toey district's thetsakit city inspectors for distributing pro-election pamphlets in the Sukhumvit area in alleged violation of the city's cleanliness ordnance. Around 100 students from the group, calling itself the network of people's power for Thailand, led by ex-House committee adviser Surapong Tovichakchaikul, yesterday laid a wreath in front of City Hall.

The group urged Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin to punish Klong Toey district chief Wanchai Thanomsak for abusing his power under the city cleanliness regulation for nabbing the 20 group members for handing out the election awareness leaflets on Sukhumvit sois 38 and 40. The group said the district also filed charges with Thong Lo police against the youngsters, three boys and one girl, all under 18, who were later sent to Metta and Pranee youth detention centres.

Because of a city cleanliness ordnance??? In Bangkok??? :D:D

Niphon Boonyapattaro, the governor's chief adviser, received the complaint and held a meeting with the group's leader at City Hall for half an hour before the group proceeded to file a complaint with the Election Commission.

Mr Niphon said that after obtaining a report on Mr Wanchai, he ordered an investigation and warned all city staff to be careful with election-related issues. He would encourage both sides to negotiate rather than press charges, but he would not transfer Mr Wanchai.

Mr Surapong said the group would press for punishment of the district chief and help parents seek legal action against him since the four youngsters were allegedly forced to undress and assaulted after the arrest. <deleted>??? :D

Mr Wanchai, however, promised to drop the charges against the 20 if the group withdrew confinement and power abuse charges against him. :o:D

- BP

the southis here often speak about sepperating, and there is not one muslim, all are thai or half chinese. But of yes it is immature.....

immature???

The notion only that the southerners could join the independence struggle of the three southern provinces is ridiculous. The southern problem is ethnical/religious and nationalist and has a clear historical precedent.

There simply is no base as the other southern provinces are predominantly Buddhist and have been far longer part of Thailand than the three southern provinces who have only been recenty annexed.

It is pure idiocy that the southerners who may be predominantly staunch Democrat followers, and despise Thaksin, might even entertain the thought to seperate from the rest of Thailand. And they would hardly join ethnic Malay Muslims.

It is absolutely immature and pure theatralics that Sondhi goes on stage "begging" those southerners on the stage not to take this route. As if anyone with a bit of sense in the South would even entertain this thought. Ridiculous.

It very much fits to the kindergarden that goes on behind the stage.

I would anyone here advise to spend some time behind the stage of the PAD Rallies and observe the theatre there. It's right out of a Thai soap opera - these people are by now so far removed from any sort of reality with their fanatism that even the TRT-Thaksin court appears to be normal. Which it isn't.

Chuwit Kamolwisit indicates he will not return to Chart Thai even if he is rejected the right to apply in the senatorial race

Chuwit Kamolwisit (ชูวิทย์ กมลวิศิษฐ์), the former deputy leader of the Chart Thai party, has announced his resignation from the party in order to run for the Senatorial election, while also indicating that he will not return to the party even if he gets rejected from application.

Mr. Chuwit said he handed his resignation letter on March 20th, and today visited the party to officially bid farewell to the party leader and the party's board. He said politics has now reached a dead-end, prompting a requirement of senators to work with neutrality for the benefit of the country and its people.

Mr. Chuwit also said that he will send to the Supreme Court the case of his disqualification from the House of Representatives by the Constitutional Court, in order to have the Supreme Court verify his right for running for the Senate as this means he was never a member of the House of Representatives.

Mr. Chuwit affirmed he will not return to the Chart Thai Party even if the court has a verdict that he did not qualify to run for the Senate, but may go and stay with the seniors at the Muang Thong Thani residence or establish a new political party.

Mr. Chuwit said that he still had respect for the leader of the Chart Thai Party and considered Chart Thai a party that gave him warth (sp?) and political opportunity.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 March 2006

ACM Kongsak instructs govt officials to convince Thai citizens to cast ballots on April 2nd Election

Interior Minister Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wantana (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา) has instructed government officials to convince Thai citizens to cast their ballots on April 2nd. At the same time, ACM Kongsak has reminded government officers to stay neutral.

ACM Kongsak said he is quite concerned about the upcoming general election because this year's election is fielded by only one party, the Thai Rak Thai Party.

He said he will reward provincial governors who are able to encourage their people to exercise their rights in the election.

He has instructed authorities to stay neutral as the media is keeping a close watch at the current political situation. He said that every implementation must be based on transparency and go in line with the framework of democratic regime.

Government agencies should not play sides with the government or the opposition group but must continue to ensure safety and justice in the democratic system.

In the meantime, Permanent Secretary of the Interior Ministry Sujarit Patchimnan (สุจริต ปัจฉิมนันท์) has warned provincial governors and district-chief officers to keep a close watch esepcially on the influential figures in their respective areas as they may create a certain impact on the upcoming general election.

Mr. Suriyasai has submitted more evidences to EC to press for the withdrawal of PM Thaksin’s election rights

Mr. Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา), coordinator of the People's Alliance for Democracy has submitted additional evidences to the Election Commission. He has demanded the EC to withdraw the election rights of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Mr. Suriyasai has submitted those evidences to President of the EC General Wassana Permlarp (วาสนา เพิ่มลาภ). Mr. Suriyasai earlier demanded EC to investigate if the premier has violated election rules. He also asked the EC to withdraw the premier’s election rights for 1 year.

He believes the evidences are strong enough to prove that PM Thaksin did violate the election regulations.

Khunying Sudarat has asserted that PM has never misused his political power

The Deputy Leader of the Thai Rak Thai Party, Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan (สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธ์), has asserted that Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has not misused his political power by using helicopter to solicit votes for his Thai Rak Thai Party.

Lecturers from the Faculty of Law in various universities have requested the Election Commission (EC) to scrutinize the premier’s behaviour during the election campaign, and they have also demanded the EC to issue the red card to Khunying Sudarat.

Consequently, Khunying Sadarat has opposed against the lecturers’ request, and said that the Thai Rak Thai Party Leader has implemented everything under the framework of law. She said that her party is willing to be checked by the EC.

Besides, she has reaffirmed that her party has never ordered government officials to help the party to buy votes.

UN report: Women in Thailand still bereft of political

power

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Women remain grossly

underrepresented in Thailand's politics and government and

a major shift in the country's attitudes is required to

address the imbalance, according to a U.N. report released

Wednesday. The report, Women's Right to a Political Voice

in Thailand, noted that women hold only 10 percent of the

seats in the national parliament, one of the Thai Cabinet's

36 ministerial posts and one of the country's 76 provincial

governor posts. Though women hold fewer positions of power

than men worldwide, they are marginalized more than the

average in Thailand, said the report by the U.N.

Development Program and the multinational non-government

organization Women for Democratic Development Foundation.

«Closing the gender gap in politics needs to be a top

priority in all countries, not just Thailand, and will

produce better governments and better policies for the

benefit of all,» the UNDP's Thailand representative Joana

Merlin-Scholtes was quoted as saying in a news release.

290443 mar 06GMT

even if it is so easy to change your Sex in Thailand.

Maybe there should be a law that the next premier must be female or at least change his sex to female within 3 month...

UN report: Women in Thailand still bereft of political

power

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Women remain grossly

underrepresented in Thailand's politics and government and

a major shift in the country's attitudes is required to

address the imbalance, according to a U.N. report released

Wednesday. The report, Women's Right to a Political Voice

in Thailand, noted that women hold only 10 percent of the

seats in the national parliament, one of the Thai Cabinet's

36 ministerial posts and one of the country's 76 provincial

governor posts. Though women hold fewer positions of power

than men worldwide, they are marginalized more than the

average in Thailand, said the report by the U.N.

Development Program and the multinational non-government

organization Women for Democratic Development Foundation.

«Closing the gender gap in politics needs to be a top

priority in all countries, not just Thailand, and will

produce better governments and better policies for the

benefit of all,» the UNDP's Thailand representative Joana

Merlin-Scholtes was quoted as saying in a news release.

290443 mar 06GMT