1 Pound + 44.99 Baht

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity does anybody have the GBP:THB average over the past 30 years? I would be curious to know where we are standing against the long-term average. My feeling is, from reading this, that we are marginally lower than average but our sight is obstructed by recent memory.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity does anybody have the GBP:THB average over the past 30 years? I would be curious to know where we are standing against the long-term average. My feeling is, from reading this, that we are marginally lower than average but our sight is obstructed by recent memory.

Google XE currency converter.

Do a 1 UK to thai baht and it will also give you some charts to look at the past rates over a few periods

make me laugh when i see you guy's crying at 45 bath cheesy.gif

Canadian $$$ always bee around 30 bath and we never said anything about it bcz it's life coffee1.gif

If you can't make a living in Thailand with that, go back to work or you can probably enjoy your retirement somewhere in Africa thumbsup.gif

Ps: if some of you are curious about my avatar it's a add of Aston Martin pre owned car....

" You know you're not the first, but do you really care ? "

wai.gif

Congratulations on making public you do not understand the basics of currency.

Why would anyone be "curious" about your avatar?

HS,

Good points all - I wonder how many of the Brit retirees who were living in southern Europe have had to bail on their dream ? Given the other woes in that part of the world, one can only assume that selling their assets wont be easy either. A perfect storm, but nothing the Irish haven't had to grapple with for several years. We have quite a few young Irish guys in my little town - good workers, but I think they are being taken advantage of here. Still, better to be able to send money home and get pissed on weekends than sit around Ireland waiting for the economy to improve.

Canadian $$$ always bee around 30 bath and we never said anything about it bcz it's life coffee1.gif

If you can't make a living in Thailand with that, go back to work or you can probably enjoy your retirement somewhere in Africa thumbsup.gif

Ps: if some of you are curious about my avatar it's a add of Aston Martin pre owned car....

wai.gif

You right about something,i'm not one of those who moved to 3th world country to be able to have a descend life

Why would anyone be "curious" about your avatar ?

It's for those who came here to finally be able to get laid with a pretty woman... I'm sure they're enjoying it

Edited by LburtonL

It is interesting times for many Western Currencies.

If you look at 10 year charts you see many are on their historic floors

against the Baht

USD vs THB

On the floor now & if it goes even a little lower it will be new 10 year historic lows.

right now at 1=29.71thb

-31.77% over its 10 year highs

GBP vs THB

Interesting as it just set new lows over its 10 year

now at 1=44.89thb

-41.69% decrease over 10 year high

EUR vs THB

Same thing on their historic floor

now at 1=38.79thb

-28.56% decrease over 10 year high

So for now the GBP is dipping into new depths.

Will all others follow?

Edited by mania

wai.gif

You right about something,i'm not one of those who moved to 3th world country to be able to have a descend life

Why would anyone be "curious" about your avatar ?

It's for those who came here to finally be able to get laid with a pretty woman... I'm sure they're enjoying it

"You right about something,i'm not one of those who moved to 3th world country to be able to have a descend life"

I never said anything of the sort. What does my comment about you not understanding currency have to do with moving to a "3th world country" or a "descend" life? blink.png

Stereotype much?

PS : Exchange rates don't only affect does who want a decent life, believe it or not some of us invest in property and bring in currency, others have businesses who depend on customers from these countries a 30/40 percent drop costs vast sums of money.

BTW seems getting a basic education didn't bother you either, since you're Canadian you might want to brush up on your English.

It is interesting times for many Western Currencies.

If you look at 10 year charts you see many are on their historic floors

against the Baht

USD vs THB

On the floor now & if it goes even a little lower it will be new 10 year historic lows.

right now at 1=29.71thb

-31.77% over its 10 year highs

attachicon.gifUSD- THB.jpg

GBP vs THB

Interesting as it just set new lows over its 10 year

now at 1=44.89thb

-41.69% decrease over 10 year high

attachicon.gifGBP-THB.jpg

EUR vs THB

Same thing on their historic floor

now at 1=38.79thb

-28.56% decrease over 10 year high

attachicon.gifEUR-THB.jpg

So for now the GBP is dipping into new depths.

Will all others follow?

I can see why you " GBP people " are in pain right now .... 6 to 10 years a go at 70+THB per pound you felt like you were a rich man in Thailand

Just get over it, those days are whey behind and now you will have to face the reality.coffee1.gif

Edited by LburtonL

You've shown graphs illustrating the decline of the USD. EUR and GBP against the baht, and asked whether 'all others will follow ?'. Given that these are STILL very important currencies, I'm curious as to what you mean by 'all others'.

We've already had an extensive discussion in the other thread re the strength of other Asian currencies, and I haven't seen much discussion on South America's currencies - so that leaves Russia and Australia. I could post the graphs, but I have a feeling you've seen them. The ruble has gone from 1.4 baht in 2005 to somewhere slightly below parity in 2013, yet there are more Russian tourists (and more Russian investment) in Thailand than any of us can recall seeing. We can talk about package tours and heavy discounting, or we can accept that the Russian affair with southern Thailand isnt based purely on the exchange rate. As an Australian who was in Thailand when our dollar slumped to 26 back in 2008. I'm less sure of our 'commitment' when the going gets tough - not when Bali is closer and cheaper.

Is it really so long ago that India, China and Russia were considered economic basketcases ? Some might argue that they still are, but I'm guessing their emerging middle classes aren't buying any of that. Decades of wondering when their time would come, and it has.

You've shown graphs illustrating the decline of the USD. EUR and GBP against the baht, and asked whether 'all others will follow ?'. Given that these are STILL very important currencies, I'm curious as to what you mean by 'all others'.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

What I meant was will the USD & the EUR also set new 10 year lows now that GBP has done so.

Guess I should have said

"So for now the GBP is dipping into new depths.

Will the other two follow?"

Edited by mania

Fair enough. Difficult to imagine the USD going any lower, but the Euro ? Ironic that the focus on the US 'fiscal cliff' seems to have taken the focus of Europe's woes - its interesting that no-one seems willing to use the 'D' word, but looking at the unemployment rate in countries like Spain I have to wonder how much longer they can avoid it. Must be a windfall for Chinese Ferrari owners, though. ;)

Never mind what the actual rate is - it's what you GET that really matters.

try 44.1 as the reality against a 44.9 rate.

Depends who you trade with.

Then there's a possible wire charge on top, then the receiving bank take some off the top.

Why not - it's the money go round......

• Like 1

When I first came to Thailand ! Pound = 36 Baht

Yep, in and around 1984-85 same as me.

In 1988 it was 44 Baht to the pound.

Ten years on:-

In late 1997-8 it was over 90 Baht to the pound due to the ThaiTanic in the Baht.

So we are back to the 1988 rate then. coffee1.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kan Win

HS,

Good points all - I wonder how many of the Brit retirees who were living in southern Europe have had to bail on their dream ? Given the other woes in that part of the world, one can only assume that selling their assets wont be easy either.

I briefly wondered whether, if I ever did have to bail out of Thailand, it might be a proposition to move to Spain, where property must have become significantly cheaper to buy or rent, and despite the pound's woes it is no lower against the euro than it was about a year ago. Then I read in yesterday's paper that the Spanish Government is looking to tax all residents, including expats, on any property and assets that they hold abroad, with massive penalties for undeclared income and assets. So I'm going to pay tax to Spain on my house in England? I don't think so.

HS,

Good points all - I wonder how many of the Brit retirees who were living in southern Europe have had to bail on their dream ? Given the other woes in that part of the world, one can only assume that selling their assets wont be easy either.

I briefly wondered whether, if I ever did have to bail out of Thailand, it might be a proposition to move to Spain, where property must have become significantly cheaper to buy or rent, and despite the pound's woes it is no lower against the euro than it was about a year ago. Then I read in yesterday's paper that the Spanish Government is looking to tax all residents, including expats, on any property and assets that they hold abroad, with massive penalties for undeclared income and assets. So I'm going to pay tax to Spain on my house in England? I don't think so.
You may want to check up on that because the UK tried the same thing a couple of years back and got their arse kicked in court.

Do a 1 UK to thai baht and it will also give you some charts to look at the past rates over a few periods

Did that. It only has 10 years. We need to discuss a longer time-frame to understand this better. The UK had a great 01-05 and Thailand was weak in that period too. We need a bigger picture to understand the truth.

Did that. It only has 10 years. We need to discuss a longer time-frame to understand this better. The UK had a great 01-05 and Thailand was weak in that period too. We need a bigger picture to understand the truth.

i don't agree with "the bigger picture" but here's a 15Y chart. a 30Y chart is totally irrelevant because before the float in 1997 the Baht was pegged to the US-Dollar (@20 till 1985, after that @25 till summer 1997). that means any GBP THB fluctuations were 100% based on GBP USD fluctuations.

GBP%20THB.jpg

• Like 2

i don't agree with "the bigger picture" but here's a 15Y chart:

GBP%20THB.jpg

Even if you *did* have money and a nice villa, how many would want to live in a country like this ?

http://www.dw.de/spains-unemployed-find-treasure-in-others-trash/a-16598222

5 million unemployed. I dont want to be the 'rich' foreigner in the middle of that much misery - particularly in the country that spawned Torquemada wink.png

quite a number of expats who live in South-East Asia are considered to be "rich" foreigners

HS,

when you are resident in a country its tax laws apply to you. whether you pay fully or partly taxes depends on that country's double tax agreement with any other country where you are liable to pay taxes.

if you are a UK citizen, living in Spain, but due to UK's tax laws not paying any taxes because you are residing abroad you are liable to pay taxes in Spain. the latter not necessarily on your assets abroad but for sure on income and capital gains.

unfortunately that fact applies whether you think so or not tongue.png

Just ran the numbers on the BA site - 'best price' later this month - and you can fly from BKK to Heathrow for less than 700 GBP - any Brit who doesn't have that kind of scratch can't afford to live in Thailand anyway, IMO, unless they are overstaying their visa and living illegally. I'm betting that the plane fare would look miniscule compared to the cost of re-establishing oneself back in the UK. I don't know too many men over 50 who want to move back in with family, and I'm willing to bet that there is more than one Brit expat in Thailand who burnt some serious bridges when he left Ye Olde Country. Some may even be returning to paid accommodation at Her Majesty's Pleasure. wink.png

I accept that people are hurting - I just don't accept unsubstantiated claims about Brits 'leaving in droves

Neither do I accept that Brits are leaving in droves, what is there to go home for, but I also think that looking for flight and I have never paid anywhere near the 700GBP mentioned that if you could get near that as a reserve you would probably try and sit it out and hope fine weather returning soon ( improvement in the rate.)

Will history repeat, Maybe.

Rather than being penalised for working and saving, Why not stop giving benefits to those who are not living or spending In the U.K More benefit cuts are needed, Why should we keep people that are not living In the UK?

Window tax, now bedroom tax What are you views on this?

Personally, I think we will see the Thai baht reach around THB35 : £1 and at that point, we will either see the pound strengthen and the Thai economy weaken.

As far as the UK economy is going, theres not that much bad news around at the moment.

Europe is getting its house in some sort of new order.

America has just seen the Dow Jones reach record levels.

Reposessions are the lowest since 2008

Interest rates are at historic lows

Inflation is around 2.5% and falling

Perhaps in 3 years time, we will be back to an economic state of around 2002 in the UK.

I agree with your guess of GBP bottoming at THB 35.

However, I don't see good news for UK economy. It will take more than 3 years. The UK oil bubble has burst and oil imports will increase every year as production declines and more oil needs to be imported. The oil bubble from around 1985 to 2005 forced up GBP and caused a lot of manufacturing to die off due to high GBP rendering them uncompetitive.

My guess. 20 years to improve UK economy and get GBP back up to 40-45 to THB. GBP will never get back to 70 THB.

Rather than being penalised for working and saving, Why not stop giving benefits to those who are not living or spending In the U.K More benefit cuts are needed, Why should we keep people that are not living In the UK?

Anyone?

Will history repeat, Maybe. Rather than being penalised for working and saving, Why not stop giving benefits to those who are not living or spending In the U.K More benefit cuts are needed, Why should we keep people that are not living In the UK? Window tax, now bedroom tax What are you views on this?Anyone?

Can't remember where I read it but there was a newspaper article saying pensioners living abroad were less of a drain on the exchequer than those residing in the UK simply because most only receive a pension and do not claim benefits or get nhs care.

• Like 2

Anyone?

If such a policy is imposed a lot of UK farangs will be forced to return to UK. I can't foresee any negative effect on Thailand for this. Probably will increase numbers in poverty in UK who might be eligible for more benefits.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 2

Will history repeat, Maybe. Rather than being penalised for working and saving, Why not stop giving benefits to those who are not living or spending In the U.K More benefit cuts are needed, Why should we keep people that are not living In the UK? Window tax, now bedroom tax What are you views on this?Anyone?

Can't remember where I read it but there was a newspaper article saying pensioners living abroad were less of a drain on the exchequer than those residing in the UK simply because most only receive a pension and do not claim benefits or get nhs care.
Those are the two main savings for the UK taxpayer and it is not a small amount.

Anyone?

If such a policy is imposed a lot of UK farangs will be forced to return to UK. I can't foresee any negative effect on Thailand for this. Probably will increase numbers in poverty in UK who might be eligible for more benefits.

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm disabled. If I returned then the cost to the UK tax payer would more than double.