1 Pound + 44.99 Baht

Y'all seem very focussed on THB - GBP, but I don't think you'll learn much by focussing on that one comparison. The trade between UK and Thailand is not enough to significantly affect the exchange rate.

We've had done to death the reasons why the pound is weak generally (and also the US dollar); my question is why did the THB strengthen fairly sharply in January, compared to other comparable currencies eg MYR, SGD?

SC

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all seem very focussed on THB - GBP, but I don't think you'll learn much by focussing on that one comparison. The trade between UK and Thailand is not enough to significantly affect the exchange rate.

We've had done to death the reasons why the pound is weak generally (and also the US dollar); my question is why did the THB strengthen fairly sharply in January, compared to other comparable currencies eg MYR, SGD?

SC

It is the topic title, hence the focus. I don't think people here are focussed on the bigger picture or are under the illusion that THB-GBP trade is that mighty (though the exchange rate could facilitate a change in the direction of export/import).

Certainly we can see the evidence of the THB strengthening as you only have to watch the THB before London opens to see it moving against GBP. It is nearly a 24 hour a day drop right now.

What caused THB to rise in January? I really don't know, certainly is an interesting question. Has it been asked elsewhere on TV?

SC

because there was more demand for THB than for other "comparable" currencies.

• Like 1

Its now 43. Dropped so fast. My bro a london city boy says 40 is definately on the cards

Not many 'fires' that can be stoked at the moment so Thailand is getting lots of it. I'm being told 39 - 38.5 before everyone does a runner.

I'll believe that when I see photographic/video proof. Lots of talk in this and the other threads around the whole 'abandon ship' idea, but talk is cheap. Even if you have to live on Mama Noodles and Singha for 6 months, its still going to be cheaper than relocating.

I don't mean do a runner from Thailand, I mean do a runner from the Baht having made a nice little earner. Lots of eyes on Thaiand because the economy and currency are on fire meaning it has the potential to be stoked with a view to making a profit from it. Usual stomping grounds would be Europe but that's dead in the water. The wheel is still turning but the hamster has been dead for some time.

Those people on retirement visas are likely to feel the effect of the strong Baht more than most but they are fortunate in that they are able to adjust the ratio of pension to savings.

With regard to noodles and Singha I fully agree. I know lots of people who have a nice kitchen which they pretty much never use! Making your own food has the potential to make huge savings without any fundamental change in diet especially for those who eat mostly western food. Pork chop, mash, mixed veg and gravy is 170 Baht down the road from me but I can make it myself for somewhere around the 50 Baht mark.

I don't mean do a runner from Thailand, I mean do a runner from the Baht having made a nice little earner. Lots of eyes on Thaiand because the economy and currency are on fire meaning it has the potential to be stoked with a view to making a profit from it. Usual stomping grounds would be Europe but that's dead in the water. The wheel is still turning but the hamster has been dead for some time.

Those people on retirement visas are likely to feel the effect of the strong Baht more than most but they are fortunate in that they are able to adjust the ratio of pension to savings.

With regard to noodles and Singha I fully agree. I know lots of people who have a nice kitchen which they pretty much never use! Making your own food has the potential to make huge savings without any fundamental change in diet especially for those who eat mostly western food. Pork chop, mash, mixed veg and gravy is 170 Baht down the road from me but I can make it myself for somewhere around the 50 Baht mark.

You're not suggesting the vast majority of TVers should cook their own food? Condo fire numbers rising by the day! We'd better go and start a new thread "How to boil an egg and keep all your limbs" over in the Western Food forum!

• Like 1

Its now 43. Dropped so fast. My bro a london city boy says 40 is definately on the cards

Not many 'fires' that can be stoked at the moment so Thailand is getting lots of it. I'm being told 39 - 38.5 before everyone does a runner.

I'll believe that when I see photographic/video proof. Lots of talk in this and the other threads around the whole 'abandon ship' idea, but talk is cheap. Even if you have to live on Mama Noodles and Singha for 6 months, its still going to be cheaper than relocating.

Could be 10-20 years.

Most of the posters on this BBS have a forlorn hope that the decline of the GBP is a transient event which will correct in a short time. That is just wishful thinking. Australia went through such a process in the 1980s which did not end until the 2000s. That was around 20 years.

The good thing is that the UK expats might eventually face the situation that imported British beer is cheaper than local beer. What a thought! Thirst of UK expats for British beer leads an economic recovery.

Edited by Denizen

For years, one of the worst insults an expat could throw at anyone was that they were so cheap they were forced to live on roti and chicken rice : the implication being that such staples put one on KSR with the backpacker crowd. I guess life has a very neat way of bringing things like that back to haunt us all - I plan to start at roti and chicken rice from 2014, and steadily work my way to panhandling on lower Suk. Investing all that leftover cash in low cap Thai stocks, I should be driving a Porsche by 2020. No pain, no gain.

make me laugh when i see you guy's crying at 45 bath cheesy.gif

Canadian $$$ always bee around 30 bath and we never said anything about it bcz it's life coffee1.gif

If you can't make a living in Thailand with that, go back to work or you can probably enjoy your retirement somewhere in Africa thumbsup.gif

Ps: if some of you are curious about my avatar it's a add of Aston Martin pre owned car....

" You know you're not the first, but do you really care ? "

wai.gif

Congratulations on making public you do not understand the basics of currency.

Why would anyone be "curious" about your avatar?

+1

For years, one of the worst insults an expat could throw at anyone was that they were so cheap they were forced to live on roti and chicken rice : the implication being that such staples put one on KSR with the backpacker crowd. I guess life has a very neat way of bringing things like that back to haunt us all - I plan to start at roti and chicken rice from 2014, and steadily work my way to panhandling on lower Suk. Investing all that leftover cash in low cap Thai stocks, I should be driving a Porsche by 2020. No pain, no gain.

The invisible hand might bring you undone:

1. Increased demand for roti and chicken rice may force up the price in GBP terms.

2. Increased competition from panhandlers could lower your revenue.

Good luck with your venture.

Edited by Denizen
  • Like 1

Denizen, I'll see you on Soi 3. And again on Soi 5. And again around Soi 7/1 .... ;)

One of the great things about planning to fail is that when someone tries to insult you with the jibe that you failed to plan, you can give it to them, both barrels, right in their fat faces. 'Ha, you ridiculous little man, this WAS my plan !'

If the roti crop fails, I'll go straight to bugs. Hell, I might even fry a few first till I get used to the taste.

Please could GBP behave today! It is making us all look like complete fools by RISING 30 satang! If it carries on like that we'll all look like complete fools!

it is not the first time in Thaivisa (and elsewhere) that the gloom&doomers looked like complete fools especially when it concerned Pound and EURo. but that applies also to the daydreamers and wishful thinkers who are forecasting, since 6½ years to this very day, the demise of the Baht which will fall, any time from now, into an abyss.

i remember quite well when some american TV-members (one of them an "eggsburt" with excellent connections to Goldman Sucks) drove beginning of 2009 some Brits crazy with forecasts such as "GBP/USD soon 1.20 and a little later parity!" during the following months the Pound recovered from 1.36 to 1.70 vs USD.

• Like 1

Please could GBP behave today! It is making us all look like complete fools by RISING 30 satang! If it carries on like that we'll all look like complete fools!

As if we needed an exchange rate for that...

thumbsup.gif

it is not the first time in Thaivisa (and elsewhere) that the gloom&doomers looked like complete fools especially when it concerned Pound and EURo. but that applies also to the daydreamers and wishful thinkers who are forecasting, since 6½ years to this very day, the demise of the Baht which will fall, any time from now, into an abyss.

i remember quite well when some american TV-members (one of them an "eggsburt" with excellent connections to Goldman Sucks) drove beginning of 2009 some Brits crazy with forecasts such as "GBP/USD soon 1.20 and a little later parity!" during the fowing months the Pound recovered from 1.36 to 1.70 vs USD.

You'll perhaps also recall the demise of the US$ has been forecast here amongst the ThaiVisa financial experts too.

The habit of confusing hope with economic reality is all too common around here..... Wife runs off with a Yank.... pray for the US$ to crash.. seems to be the applied science behind most of what I read on the subject.

i remember quite well when some american TV-members (one of them an "eggsburt" with excellent connections to Goldman Sucks) drove beginning of 2009 some Brits crazy with forecasts such as "GBP/USD soon 1.20 and a little later parity!" during the fowing months the Pound recovered from 1.36 to 1.70 vs USD.

You'll perhaps also recall the demise of the US$ has been forecast here amongst the ThaiVisa financial experts too.

The habit of confusing hope with economic reality is all too common around here..... Wife runs off with a Yank.... pray for the US$ to crash.. seems to be the applied science behind most of what I read on the subject.

what do you mean by "has been"? hardly a day passes without an expert presenting "them 'mericans is printing Dollas dat's why da Dolla is doomed!"

laugh.png

The date & time now is 2013-03-13 14:43:50 GMT. For ATM rates, select the TT currency type.

Bank Country Updated by bank Update

no. From To Rate Quantity

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-13 09:03 GBP50 THB 44.45 44.45 0.022497 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-13 09:03 GBP20-5 THB 44.35 44.35 0.022548 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-13 10:00 6 GBP THB 43.56 43.56 0.022957 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-12 17:00 3 GBP THB 43.55 43.55 0.022962 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-13 09:03 GBPS THB 43.5 43.5 0.022989 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-13 03:06 2 GBP THB 43.48219 43.482 0.022998 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-13 09:12 GBP THB 43.48 43.48 0.022999 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-13 04:39 2 GBP THB 43.45 43.45 0.023015 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-13 01:30 1 GBP THB 43.38 43.38 0.023052 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-13 09:00 GBP THB 43.33 43.33 0.023079 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-13 01:35 1 GBP THB 43.33 43.33 0.023079 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-13 09:11 5 GBP THB 42.23 42.23 0.02368 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 5.26%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.5076825 THB

HS,

Good points all - I wonder how many of the Brit retirees who were living in southern Europe have had to bail on their dream ? Given the other woes in that part of the world, one can only assume that selling their assets wont be easy either. A perfect storm, but nothing the Irish haven't had to grapple with for several years. We have quite a few young Irish guys in my little town - good workers, but I think they are being taken advantage of here. Still, better to be able to send money home and get pissed on weekends than sit around Ireland waiting for the economy to improve.

Have you been to Ireland recently? I was there a couple years back, and not surprised that Southern Ireland is in deep, deep doodoo. Their tourist industry is a shambles, farming is in the dark ages, their bus service is a joke and the only decent stuff is that which the EU paid for.

Seems that instead of fixing the infrastructure, they wasted most of the money from the good times on building flash offices on the river in Dublin. Irish Tiger, my bottom!

i remember quite well when some american TV-members (one of them an "eggsburt" with excellent connections to Goldman Sucks) drove beginning of 2009 some Brits crazy with forecasts such as "GBP/USD soon 1.20 and a little later parity!" during the following months the Pound recovered from 1.36 to 1.70 vs USD.

I can dream, can't I?

I'd be curious to know just how many retired expats factored in a year or two of 'tough times' in their initial planning ? For some, I expect that the floods may well have swallowed a large chunk of that 'rainy day' money.

i factored in a rise of 5% per annum,and been here 9 years,so not far off my equations.The thai baht was 76 to gbp,and i bought a house at 69.9 baht,so done ok with that,providing i could sell it if i need to,and as we say, location,location,location,so lucky again.My investments are doing extremly well too,and sipps have increased to the point where i can increase my monthly amount.

Of course i would be better off if the gbp was stronger to the baht,or the baht weakeaned,but i suppose i am betetr off than many,added to that my gf has thai baht for wages so we use that now,instead of saving it.

I'd be curious to know just how many retired expats factored in a year or two of 'tough times' in their initial planning ? For some, I expect that the floods may well have swallowed a large chunk of that 'rainy day' money.

i factored in a rise of 5% per annum,and been here 9 years,so not far off my equations.The thai baht was 76 to gbp,and i bought a house at 69.9 baht,so done ok with that,providing i could sell it if i need to,and as we say, location,location,location,so lucky again.My investments are doing extremly well too,and sipps have increased to the point where i can increase my monthly amount.

Of course i would be better off if the gbp was stronger to the baht,or the baht weakeaned,but i suppose i am betetr off than many,added to that my gf has thai baht for wages so we use that now,instead of saving it.

seems you think you have done well for yourself i think your gf.has done better.

>I'd be curious to know just how many retired expats factored in a year or two of 'tough times' in their initial planning ? For some, I expect that the floods may well have swallowed a large chunk of that 'rainy day' money.

i factored in a rise of 5% per annum,and been here 9 years,so not far off my equations. so she'sThe thai baht was 76 to gbp,and i bought a house at 69.9 baht,so done ok with that,providing i could sell it if i need to,and as we say, location,location,location,so lucky again.My investments are doing extremly well too,and sipps have increased to the point where i can increase my monthly amount.

seems you have done ok.but you forgot to mention your gf.owns the land and house so she's done pretty well for herself wouldnt you say

Jesus, meatboy - why dont you just knee the guy in the nuts and again in the face as he slumps to the floor ? One little ray of hope from someone who has tried to build a sustainable future in Thailand and you throw it back in his face ? Tough crowd. :(

Jesus, meatboy - why dont you just knee the guy in the nuts and again in the face as he slumps to the floor ? One little ray of hope from someone who has tried to build a sustainable future in Thailand and you throw it back in his face ? Tough crowd. sad.png

i just like all these guys in thailand that say i bought this and i own that he is just like me,i bought 2plots of land,i built a house on it,i bought a nice bike,i bought a nice car,i have quite a bit of thai bht.when £=65bht,another lot at 57bht.and a large amount at 49.5,so i have done really well for myself,just a minute MEATBOY doesnt the wife own all that hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

but she's not having bloody dog he's mine,taff your dog just shit in the garden get it cleaned NOW yes darlingbiggrin.png

http://www.cimbbank.com.my/index.php?tpt&tpl=gen_rates

They have decimal point in wrong place?

If not it's a joke.

If one step to the right then they appear to be buying sterling for 45.9

I suppose the big giveaway is that CIMB is a Malaysian bank.

They should've made clear what currency they were buying or selling with, though. they do appear to be buying Sterling at 4.59, and if you scroll down you'll see they buy Thai baht at 9.66 per hundred. I found it was cheaper to transfer via US dollars.

SC

The date & time now is 2013-03-14 14:51:09 GMT. For ATM rates, select the TT currency type.

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-14 09:43 GBP50 THB 44.5 44.5 0.022472 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-14 09:43 GBP20-5 THB 44.4 44.4 0.022523 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 11:20 3 GBP THB 43.54209 43.542 0.022966 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-14 10:08 7 GBP THB 43.53 43.53 0.022973 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 09:56 4 GBP THB 43.52 43.52 0.022978 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 01:30 1 GBP THB 43.52 43.52 0.022978 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 03:26 2 GBP THB 43.51 43.51 0.022983 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-14 09:43 GBPS THB 43.5 43.5 0.022989 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-13 17:00 5 GBP THB 43.5 43.5 0.022989 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 09:16 GBP THB 43.48 43.48 0.022999 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 08:21 GBP THB 43.4275 43.428 0.023027 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-14 09:21 6 GBP THB 42.21 42.21 0.023691 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 5.43%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.5532992 THB The date & time now is 2013-03-14 14:53:26 GMT. For ATM rates, select the TT currency type.

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-14 09:43 THB GBPS 0.022472 0.022 44.5 Chart CIMB Thai Thailand 2013-03-14 10:10 3 THB GBP 0.022471 0.022 44.5025 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-14 09:43 THB GBP50 0.022321 0.022 44.8 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-14 10:08 7 THB GBP 0.022306 0.022 44.83 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-13 17:00 5 THB GBP 0.022302 0.022 44.84 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 09:16 THB GBP 0.022287 0.022 44.87 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 11:20 3 THB GBP 0.022272 0.022 44.89875 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 01:30 1 THB GBP 0.022267 0.022 44.91 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 09:56 4 THB GBP 0.022262 0.022 44.92 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-14 09:21 6 THB GBP 0.022222 0.022 45 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 03:26 2 THB GBP 0.022193 0.022 45.06 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-14 08:21 THB GBP 0.022185 0.022 45.075 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 1.29%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 THB = 0.0222966 GBP

meatboy, you are either a glass-half-empty guy or clinically insane - given that I have no formal qualifications to gauge the latter, looks like I'll have to go with the former. wink.png

He's Welsh.

Suddenly, everything becomes clear...

http://www.cimbbank.com.my/index.php?tpt&tpl=gen_rates

They have decimal point in wrong place?

If not it's a joke.

If one step to the right then they appear to be buying sterling for 45.9

I suppose the big giveaway is that CIMB is a Malaysian bank.

They should've made clear what currency they were buying or selling with, though. they do appear to be buying Sterling at 4.59, and if you scroll down you'll see they buy Thai baht at 9.66 per hundred. I found it was cheaper to transfer via US dollars.

SC

Knew I must have missed something.

Cheers for pointing it out