Review - Ban Rommai Restaurant

LawrenceChee

Location - Across to the B2 hotel along the highway that hosted the recent scene condo launch. Leave it to the GPS experts to provide the google map links

Went to this Thai restaurant with a friend last night and here's the review

Ambience - Place is well planned like a Lanna House. Ample parking for cars / bikes and area is well planned like a sala style. Good tables size for big groups and intimate couple seats. Small air conditioned area also available although dining after 6.30 is cool with the fans discreetly placed in the trees

They have a 3 piece band with the lady singing very impressively on old love and jazz songs with no Thai accented English

Service was discreet and marshaled by a young Thai hi-so who was great with the order taking if you don't speak Thai fluently. Menus are available in Thai and English

Food - we ordered the following and I give it an impressive 8/10 overall

Shrimp in Popiah Skin - Crispy and very fresh shrimps used. Nice alternative to the usual crumbed style shrimps

Omelet with pork - hard to get this Thai classic wrong so no further discussions

Fried Rice Shrimps - besides the usual Thai style condiments, they used dried salted mackerel and shrimps bits in the rice making it a great flavorful difference

Fried Sea Bass with Mint Leaves - Fish was fresh and all cut to bite size. The coriander and mint leaves combined well

Seafood soup in laksa paste - this was a good local Singapore twist , mussels shrimps etc in the soup but the coconut milk taste really came true and I told the chef if he added noodles he has a nice straits dish for those who love the street food of Singapore and Malaysia

The food portions were really good for 4 and we were just greedy and the final bill was 960 baht.

Overall a winner and I will be back with friends

• Like 1

Was back tonight with another friend and the place is great

Ordered a steamed Tim Tam fish, prawns in tamarind sauce, a tofu soup and 2 plates of fried rice brought it up to under 1000 baht

On weekends a boy band is playing and they were singing good Eric Clayton covers with no accent :-)

I found another landmark ...it's on the side of the highway of Book Republic Cafe ...basically canal road going in the direction of Nimman