Computer Nighmare Fixed

johnmcc6

For those that saw my earlier post re computer hassles I can now report all is finally fixed, The only solution was to empty the entire hard drive and reload . Going from a bogus copy of Windows 7 pro back to 7 home premium was no easy trick.The computer was frozen in such a manner it would not recognise any disc's.

In any event the guys at smart tech solutionsin at Pantip Plaza fixed it within hours and only charged 300 baht. Thanks to Zippy for providing the new windows 7 home disc that I never had as it was originaly factory loaded . Thanks to the other posters for their advice.

John,

You mentioned going from a 'bogus copy of Windows 7 pro back to 7 home premium'.

I've just discovered that the my Windows 7 is also bogus (of course the shop, at Pantip CM, insisted strongly that is was fully genuine when I bought the notebook just a few weeks ago) and I suspect preloaded with add ons.

So can you please share where you bought your 7 Home Premium software. Pm to me if you prefer.

Thanks.

If you need a genuine Win 7 .iso you can download it from Digital River.

NOTE these are NOT hacked in any way, they are Microsoft Genuine .iso's. You still need a valid license key to activate which you must purchase from Microsoft.

Of course there are ways to load win 7 without the key but we do not talk about them here. You will have revert to Mr. Google.

A genuine .iso could also come in handy if you did not receive a disc with your pc/laptop and need to repair an installation. I'm sure this info has been posted before on this site, but cannot remember which thread.

Links to download available here http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Just download and burn to DVD. I think you must activate within 30 days of downloading, but the disc will be valid after that for repair etc.

I bought my preloaded lap top with no disc. Zippy kindly gave me one he downloaded on the net ( as in above post) I could not do it myself as my frozen machine would not reconise the disc, or any disc at all. When my hard drive was emptied of the virus or whatever that caused all the trouble my computer then recognised the disc. It asks for your product key which in my case was glued to the bottom of my computer. With this key windows knows it was paid for and when and where. With no product key however it will probaly not work. In any case a bright new screen announces my new windows 7 as well as a huge backlog of updates.I bought the computer about 3 years ago. It was flawless until some so called expert got hold of it to fix a minor problem.

Hey John....glad to hear it finally all got resolved.... so it was not a bad cd/dvd reader (as i had thought) but the virus that prevented the computer from accessing it... pretty tricky of those guys!

come by again some time and lets do lunch at Sausage king!

I'm not sure how to be absolutely sure if a copy of windows is genuine other than buying from a trusted source or downloading from the links I gave in an earlier post. You can certainly check if Microsoft thinks it's genuine by going to

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/

but a word of caution .. if it comes back 'not genuine' I do not know what MS does then, of course all my copies of windows are 'genuine'.

• 2 weeks later...

how does one check to see if the pre-installed windows is genuine? I bought a new HP Omni at Pantip late last year, and no disc came with it.

It should have a Microsoft COA sticker on the base with the product key. I always take a photo of mine when I get a new laptop because eventually the print will wear off and you won't be able to see the key if you need to re-install.

how does one check to see if the pre-installed windows is genuine? I bought a new HP Omni at Pantip late last year, and no disc came with it.

I'm not positive. Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. A window will pop up and at the bottom it should say "Windows is activated" and show your product ID (not your Windows product key used for installation.) If you see that, and if Windows updates consistently, then I think you are in biz.

There are ways to get around Windows Genuine Advantage checks so the fact that it shows that you Windows is activated is not proof it is genuine. If you don't have the Windows Certificate of Authenticity sticker stuck on your machine somewhere it's not legal.

That sounds silly.......... Myself build my own PC, install Windows and phone M$ for the activation key, pay by DD card and the lady always stays on the phone and talks me through the activation......... Done this years ago with XP, then Vista and present one Win 7, at no time was a sticker sent down the phone line, and for the passed 10 year have always had genuine Windows and NO sticker.ever...... had a pile of automatic updates yesterday.........

Bought 2 years ago a new Laptop with Windows installed, that has a sticker on it..

I just started looking for a new laptop and so far if the displayed spec and pricing card didn't mention which OS or just windows 7 or 8 without the specific version, the laptop would come with a windows copy unless I specifically wanted to pay extra for a original windows OS.

vagabond48, on 20 Mar 2013 - 09:22, said:

I just started looking for a new laptop and so far if the displayed spec and pricing card didn't mention which OS or just windows 7 or 8 without the specific version, the laptop would come with a windows copy unless I specifically wanted to pay extra for a original windows OS.

My laptop also just died about 5 days ago and i purchased a new one 2 days ago.

From what i was told HP and Dell machines have OEM Windows on them, all the rest do not come with windows. (but i dont know if they were lying)

I tried Windows 8 first and what a mistake, i reverted back to windows 7 the next day...dont load windows 8, stick with Windows 7...windows 8 = tremendous PITA.

Cheapest places i found for laptops are Panthip on the night bazarre road corner, ground level. A few thousand baht cheaper than the other IT places along the moat.

But the smartest and nicest sales guy (Thoan) i found was the 3rd IT complex on the moat. Shop is straight ahead as soon as you walk in. I would have preferred to give him my money but he was 2k baht more than what i paid. But sometimes its worth the peace of mind. The shop i bought mine from at Pantip arent so nice after making their commission.

Edited by KRS1

If you have a bogus copy of Windows and you run auto up dates withing 30 days you ll start getting a black screen ...

Only if it is not a properly activated copy. Many people run clean activated MS Windows copies with no issues, with auto updates turned on. What you describe is a badly done installation of copy software.

I am not encouraging copy software, but this is the truth. There is lots of scaremongering on this forum that copies are always bad. Illegal, yes, but can certainly work perfectly if installed by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Like 1

Yes agree....... There is lots of scaremongering, there is no problem or issues with buying the license over the phone at the end of the 30 days...

It is going back a bit., I MUST have XP [work programs some will not run on newer] so this is on 1x laptop......... was some problem and the PC repair guy put on a copy, I had the sticker on the bottom and supplied the genuine disk, phoned M$ no problem and sorted over the phone.......... I asked her she said sure use a copy and just phone for the license, This I did on M$ Visa and on Win 7. with no issues...

There are ways to get around Windows Genuine Advantage checks so the fact that it shows that you Windows is activated is not proof it is genuine. If you don't have the Windows Certificate of Authenticity sticker stuck on your machine somewhere it's not legal.

That just isn't so. With the Enterprise/Ultimate editions, enterprises buy licenses to install however many copies they need, using the same product key. They often buy or build computers with no OS so they can use an MSI file together with sysprep, or perhaps a sysprepped image to install not only Windows, but perhaps office and other programs all at once. All have the same product key.

Also, if you decide to buy a new case to hold a bigger motherboard, and add a few more pieces of hardware, you will no longer validate. You'll have to call Microsoft and get them to validate what is the same, but upgraded computer.

Also as someone said, you can buy a product key apart from the computer, on the phone.