Paelo Diet In Thailand

MrHammer

Does any of you follow or are inspired by the Paleo diet in Thailand? In the past I used to eat a diet called Warrior Diet by Ori Hoffmecker (or something like that). The key is to not eat grain products (not a problem), but also cut back on carbs, which is difficult since rice is with every meal in Thailand.

So how would you try to eat Paleo here?

It would be quite easy in Thailand to go Paleo. You can source Fresh Fruits and Vegetables from the local Markets (Organic if poss). Barbecued Chicken/Fish/Pork from roadside vendors. Unsalted Peanuts, Cashews and seeds are easy to find in most Supermarkets or from the street vendors too. When eating out you could opt for Suki Yaki or Korean barbecue minus the noodles and rice of course.

I find Paleo very interesting but i havent got the balls to go for it yet. Good Luck!

• Like 2

It would be quite easy in Thailand to go Paleo.

I don't know about it being "quite easy", but it is doable. Chicken and fish is reasonably priced here.

It's easy in restaurants. If for example you're having chicken and vegetables, just ask for more chicken (and vegetables). I always ask for "big size"... and you can pass on the rice.

• 2 weeks later...

Paleo is about eating unrefined foods - meat, eggs, poultry, tons of veggies, a bit of fruit, and using olive or coconut oil mainly for your oils (or clarified butter).

Paleo absolutely restricts grains, seeds and seed oils, dairy, sugar (no cane sugar, honey, agave honey blah blah blah) and no artificial sweeteners either, and alcohol.

Focus is on quality free range meats, which are difficult to find here, so I make do with what I can get.

Have been on it now a couple weeks - feeling fantastic and have lost a fair amount of weight, less bloated, more alert...

Edited by tominbkk
  • Like 1

Paleo is about eating unrefined foods - meat, eggs, poultry, tons of veggies, a bit of fruit, and using olive or coconut oil mainly for your oils (or clarified butter).

Paleo absolutely restricts grains, seeds and seed oils, dairy, sugar (no cane sugar, honey, agave honey blah blah blah) and no artificial sweeteners either, and alcohol.

Focus is on quality free range meats, which are difficult to find here, so I make do with what I can get.

Have been on it now a couple weeks - feeling fantastic and have lost a fair amount of weight, less bloated, more alert...

Good luck keeping it up. It's too unnatural and too difficult to sustain in the long run. Sooner or later your cravings will get the better of you.

Good luck keeping it up. It's too unnatural and too difficult to sustain in the long run. Sooner or later your cravings will get the better of you.

On the contrary, I would say it is too natural! Haha. What's unnatural is eating massive amounts of polished grain endosperm, drinking and eating by-products of bovine hormonal fluid produced exclusively for baby bovines, pounding down chemically treated and bleached sucrose, and consuming seed oils that have been put through multiple chemical processes before they can be used by humans.

Your idea of this diet being unnatural is funny for me to try to understand. Fresh meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, and real unprocessed oils....hmm, seems pretty natural to me!

Anyway, I have been low carb a couple of years and have enjoyed it and have long been off the grain and sugar wagon. Quitting dairy was a new one for me but I feel great since letting it go. Quitting alcohol is something I have been working up to...glad to let go of that unnatural demon. My sobriety is frightening in how clear it makes me feel and think.

Cravings are the creation of eating unnaturally sweet, salty, empty carb-laden man made foods. You don't get cravings when your diet is balanced and natural.

However, ignorance is bliss and I wish you well!

Edited by tominbkk

Behind my house is a vacant block that is somewhat overgrown and adjoining that is some bushland. I see locals going in to these blocks to pick their fresh greens. I have identified one to be some acacia plant, the others I am not so sure. There is a tree whose leaves make you unable to taste very sour foods after you eat the leaves.

Very interesting, I wish someone would run a "bush tucker" tour.

On the contrary, I would say it is too natural! Haha. What's unnatural is eating massive amounts of polished grain endosperm, drinking and eating by-products of bovine hormonal fluid produced exclusively for baby bovines, pounding down chemically treated and bleached sucrose, and consuming seed oils that have been put through multiple chemical processes before they can be used by humans.

Your idea of this diet being unnatural is funny for me to try to understand. Fresh meat, eggs, veggies, fruit, and real unprocessed oils....hmm, seems pretty natural to me!

Anyway, I have been low carb a couple of years and have enjoyed it and have long been off the grain and sugar wagon. Quitting dairy was a new one for me but I feel great since letting it go. Quitting alcohol is something I have been working up to...glad to let go of that unnatural demon. My sobriety is frightening in how clear it makes me feel and think.

Cravings are the creation of eating unnaturally sweet, salty, empty carb-laden man made foods. You don't get cravings when your diet is balanced and natural.

However, ignorance is bliss and I wish you well!

(It's not a good way to start decent dialogue by flaming people with opposing points of view).

You've been eating like this for 2 weeks and now you're sitting on your high horse as an expert. I would say you've been reading too much Dr Mercola.

As you said, "ignorance is bliss", but it won't really be bliss (for you) in the long run.

The opposite of Paleo does not have to be a diet laden with crap foods as you're suggesting.

You're also suggesting that such a diet will eliminate cravings, yet you struggle with alcohol.. and you're saying that my comments were "funny".

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

@tomminbkk

About the cows milk.. just tell the Massai its unnatural they have been doing it forever. They are longer and better developed then most Africans.

I also find it funny how people always think that everything that is processed or made by humans is bad. The reason why your living longer and healthier is part of our healthcare.

Is it so hard to accept that non paleo does not equate bad, you can eat just as healthy.. id say healthier then paleo.

The whole idea of paleo is crazy actually as humans who lived then just ate what was available because they had no other choice. Also what was available for one group was not available for an other. Its a nice theory but if you examine it a bit better you can poke holes in it.

You can do that with most theories so I just take something from all the theories and see what works best instead of going hook line and sinker for just 1 view.

Then again i was never much of a mass followr to belong somewhere, i love to think for myself.

• Like 2

Then again i was never much of a mass followr to belong somewhere, i love to think for myself.

A lot of people believe in "one diet fits all".

There's a lot more to it. I've found by personal experimentation that if I restrict carbs too much I find myself craving them. A meal never feels complete without some carbs. I really enjoy grains, just as modern civilization has for many thousands of years.

A Paleo diet has its benefits for people with extreme glucose intolerance, but as a long term diet it's just too unnatural. He's suggesting that consuming cow's milk is unnatural whereas consuming lots of meat is... and consuming grains, which have fed most of the world's population for at least 6,000 years is unnatural. Modern civilization was built on grain consumption.

I believe humans can thrive on many different types of diets. The important factor is the degree of processing of the food consumed (nutrient content), not the percentage of fat, carbs and protein.

I know he's been reading a lot of Mr Mercola's newsletters because of the suggestion to consume coconut oil to make up daily calories.

I have found that increasing carb consumption recently has resulted in accelerated muscle gains.

You can do that with most theories so I just take something from all the theories and see what works best instead of going hook line and sinker for just 1 view.

Robblok , I follow a similar diet , I call it Paileo .

edit - pale face no honour

Edited by onionluke

The paleo diet as such is a low carb diet, nothing wrong with that also nothing wrong with eating un processed foods. It can be good for certain people no doubt about it.

I wonder if anyone has ever watched some survival videos of people being dropped somewhere or videos of people living of the land to survive. After you have seen that you know that they ate anything they could. Not because it was healthy but because they had to or die. People romantise it too much, it was a rough time and depending what region you lived depended on what you ate. There was no one singel paloe diet like people seem to want to convince others.

It was also not real healty it was real limited, so there we have it it was not good and real limited. Ask any survival expert ask people who live of the land. Now in our curent times we can get much more varied diet, so what did those guru's do they midex it up a bit and created their own healthy paleo diet that had nothing to do with how those people really lived. So its fake nothing more, its a gimick.

I am not saying here that its bad to eat un processed food or low carb or even to cut out carbs (though i think people need it) but i say they are pretending something to be a paleo diet that has never really existed with health benefits that were never proven (as there is no record).

Just think human kind made its progress on grains, because volume and a steady supply of food was much more important. Our brains grew in current time we got smarter because of what we eat now. So use that brain and don't fall for the gimmick.

Call the diet whatever you want but true paleo it isnt and it has never been proven that paleo people were more healthy then we are now.. i really doubt it.

• Like 1

The paleo diet as such is a low carb diet, nothing wrong with that also nothing wrong with eating un processed foods. It can be good for certain people no doubt about it.

I wonder if anyone has ever watched some survival videos of people being dropped somewhere or videos of people living of the land to survive. After you have seen that you know that they ate anything they could. Not because it was healthy but because they had to or die. People romantise it too much, it was a rough time and depending what region you lived depended on what you ate. There was no one singel paloe diet like people seem to want to convince others.

It was also not real healty it was real limited, so there we have it it was not good and real limited. Ask any survival expert ask people who live of the land. Now in our curent times we can get much more varied diet, so what did those guru's do they midex it up a bit and created their own healthy paleo diet that had nothing to do with how those people really lived. So its fake nothing more, its a gimick.

I am not saying here that its bad to eat un processed food or low carb or even to cut out carbs (though i think people need it) but i say they are pretending something to be a paleo diet that has never really existed with health benefits that were never proven (as there is no record).

Just think human kind made its progress on grains, because volume and a steady supply of food was much more important. Our brains grew in current time we got smarter because of what we eat now. So use that brain and don't fall for the gimmick.

Call the diet whatever you want but true paleo it isnt and it has never been proven that paleo people were more healthy then we are now.. i really doubt it.

Aye , I would agree to much of what you say most times , but I would add from my own experience that roughage or uncooked /processed foods have the benefits of making a chap feel fullsome ,together with helping control blood sugar levels and piles and the like .

Aye , I would agree to much of what you say most times , but I would add from my own experience that roughage or uncooked /processed foods have the benefits of making a chap feel fullsome ,together with helping control blood sugar levels and piles and the like .

I eat mostly unprocessed food, i cook my own meals. I am moderate in my carbs, eat mainly healthy.

Sure by all means eat like that, its what i do. I just haven't forsaken grains or milk. I love my oats, musli, kefir, yoghurt (natural unflavored)

Sure by all means eat like that, its what i do. I just haven't forsaken grains or milk. I love my oats, musli, kefir, yoghurt (natural unflavored)

So do I, along with fruits (dried and fresh), nuts, butter, bread, cheese, flaxseed oil, coffee, an occasional block of chocolate, lots of eggs (did I mention full cream milk?) .... I better stop now before someone tells me I'm ignorant again biggrin.png .

Edited by tropo

I really don't feel like I'm roughing it though. For breakfast I have a couple/few scrambled eggs and a little bit of sweet potato, and some greens, usually broccoli or spinach. I have a nice hot cup of black coffee, and if I feel like it I'll have some berries or some other fruit (papaya, guava, melon, dragonfruit are good lowish sugar fruits). I don't eat fruit every day, just when I get the hankering for it.

For lunch I'll have a nice big piece of chicken or some steak or other protein like fish and I will have some squash or sweet potato and more greens.

For dinner I often have a nice piece of salmon, or some chicken or a couple pork chops, or I often make a stew of sorts in my slow cooker and have that with a nice big green salad with homemade vinaigrette. Again, I'll have some berries in a little bit of coconut milk, or a nice big mango if I feel like something super sweet.

I don't really snack that much, but if I do want something I'll have some roasted cashews or almonds. I treat myself to some soda water with lime in the evening. I usually have a serving of kimchi every day as well...fermented foods are good for you.

For those who do not know what paleo is, they would have no idea that I am eating really any differently. It's only when you actually look at what I'm not eating that you realize that it is paleo.

I really enjoy my meals, but what’s great is that I don’t have the urge to snack or I don’t obsess over food.

I don't have a problem with most of the food Paleo eats I just have a problem with the exclusions based on the theory that paleo people did not eat it while in reality the paleo diet was seasonal and real dependent on location. Plus they did not eat for health they ate to survive and would have eaten anything even if it was bad for them.

So on bases of this theory that is full of holes milk is bad, grains are bad. While the paleo diet from the guru's does not even resemble the true paleo diet.

Just pick healthy stuff, and be happy that we now have a much more varied diet that is superior to what they ate back then. I am not talking fast food I am talking about people what is available for people who care about their health.

I don't have a problem with most of the food Paleo eats I just have a problem with the exclusions based on the theory that paleo people did not eat it while in reality the paleo diet was seasonal and real dependent on location. Plus they did not eat for health they ate to survive and would have eaten anything even if it was bad for them.

So on bases of this theory that is full of holes milk is bad, grains are bad. While the paleo diet from the guru's does not even resemble the true paleo diet.

Just pick healthy stuff, and be happy that we now have a much more varied diet that is superior to what they ate back then. I am not talking fast food I am talking about people what is available for people who care about their health.

Sounds Good! I don't in particular like the 'paleo' name....Mark Sisson calls it "Primal Eating", which I like more.

Edited by tominbkk

Here some info of a scientist that tells that paleo people did eat grains. It is around 2-3 minutes where he explains it. Shows you some insights.

Basically says things what i say its good to eat non processed food but the paleo diet is misunderstood.

• Like 1

I really don't feel like I'm roughing it though. For breakfast I have a couple/few scrambled eggs and a little bit of sweet potato, and some greens, usually broccoli or spinach. I have a nice hot cup of black coffee, and if I feel like it I'll have some berries or some other fruit (papaya, guava, melon, dragonfruit are good lowish sugar fruits). I don't eat fruit every day, just when I get the hankering for it.
For lunch I'll have a nice big piece of chicken or some steak or other protein like fish and I will have some squash or sweet potato and more greens.
For dinner I often have a nice piece of salmon, or some chicken or a couple pork chops, or I often make a stew of sorts in my slow cooker and have that with a nice big green salad with homemade vinaigrette. Again, I'll have some berries in a little bit of coconut milk, or a nice big mango if I feel like something super sweet.
I don't really snack that much, but if I do want something I'll have some roasted cashews or almonds. I treat myself to some soda water with lime in the evening. I usually have a serving of kimchi every day as well...fermented foods are good for you.
For those who do not know what paleo is, they would have no idea that I am eating really any differently. It's only when you actually look at what I'm not eating that you realize that it is paleo.
I really enjoy my meals, but what’s great is that I don’t have the urge to snack or I don’t obsess over food.

You do have cravings, even after 2 weeks. You've mentioned it 3 times in this post:

1. "or a nice big mango if I feel like something super sweet"

2. "I don't eat fruit every day, just when I get the hankering for it"

3. "and if I feel like it I'll have some berries or some other fruit"

People on low carb diets don't usually eat this much fruit or any at all, especially "nice big mangos".

You're craving carbs (sugar) and take care of it with fruit and sweet potato which is full of sugar too. IMO this is fine, but don't come along and say you don't have cravings. If you cut your carbs even lower your cravings will get stronger.

Here some info of a scientist that tells that paleo people did eat grains. It is around 2-3 minutes where he explains it. Shows you some insights.

Basically says things what i say its good to eat non processed food but the paleo diet is misunderstood.

What a great find and thanks for posting it. Very educational.

Some Paleo diet theorists will argue that indigenous native Americans found by settlers (from 1492) are not primitive "cave dwelling" humans.

It is clear that even "primitive" humans craved sweet things if they could find them and favoured starchy foods if available.

Edited by tropo

Dont let science get into the way of a fad diet.

Anyway I am all for whole foods and stuff and non processed foods, but don't act like this diet is waht paleo people ate and say that we should too.

I am not against this diet, I am against the junk around it the lies and such. It is not what we ate back then and they did eat grains back then.

There is no one paleo diet.. there are many because of locality. just like the real scientist says

• Like 1

You do have cravings, even after 2 weeks. You've mentioned it 3 times in this post:

1. "or a nice big mango if I feel like something super sweet"

2. "I don't eat fruit every day, just when I get the hankering for it"

3. "and if I feel like it I'll have some berries or some other fruit"

People on low carb diets don't usually eat this much fruit or any at all, especially "nice big mangos".

You're craving carbs (sugar) and take care of it with fruit and sweet potato which is full of sugar too. IMO this is fine, but don't come along and say you don't have cravings. If you cut your carbs even lower your cravings will get stronger.

Sorry, you are confused again.

I used to do low carb and would not eat fruit.

I'm not doing low carb now (though I am sure I am below 50-75 grams of carbs a day usually) because paleo allows some fruit...I don't gorge on fruit.

Not really sure what you are going on about, if I said I was doing a keto diet then I would be contradicting myself.

It is perfectly alright on a paleo diet to have fruit. Actually, My first week I was eating more fruit, the last 5-6 days I think I've only had two pieces of fruit. But, according to the diet I am following, I can have it a couple times a day, which I already told you about. Same with squash/sweet potatoes, I am having about a half cup's worth with my meal, though if I wanted more than that I would have it. I've been finding that my 5-10 kilometeres of walk/jog/run every day is done more energetically with a little bit of carb in the diet.

I realize I got your panties in a bunch with my my post the other day, sorry it affected you so much! unsure.png Go back to your heaping bowls of oatmeal! smile.png

Edited by tominbkk

Some Paleo diet theorists will argue that indigenous native Americans found by settlers (from 1492) are not primitive "cave dwelling" humans.

It is clear that even "primitive" humans craved sweet things if they could find them and favoured starchy foods if available.

Great - if some people want to have a diet of sticky rice and wonderbread, I say go for it!

Their starchy things came in the shapes of tubers and berries , or seasonally in the shape of apple trees - not in the shape of jumbo bags of extra BBQ Doritos But eat what you want! :)