What Little Paradise Are You Working On ?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work all over the Norwegian sector. At the moment Im on Kvitebjörn (whitebear) a statoil rig on the North Sea. Only work on the Norwegian sector due to the favorable rotations (14/28). Gives me more time at home in Thailand.

Wow you're lucky, I thought it was impossible to work on Noogie sector and live in Asia. Or do you pay your flights yourself? Are you 3rd party, or you work for the drilling company?

I would have noooo problems in working 2 weeks, then fly home to BKK for 4 weeks.

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been following the forum. The company pays. It's actually required of them. Atleast if your in the Electrical field on the Norwegian sector. The regulations clearly state that the employer must pay the travel from the adress the employe is registered at. It doesn't apply however if you move after they allready hired you.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's really nice. I am rig electrician, but never thought they would hire someone that already lives in Asia.

I'm from the Swedish speaking part of Finland (Åland), so I do 'speak' and understand all Norwegian, I think that is required on Norwegian shelf.

Then there is the tax...but I'd do that too! :-) Okay better start applying then....might take a few years though.

Work all over the Norwegian sector. At the moment Im on Kvitebjörn (whitebear) a statoil rig on the North Sea. Only work on the Norwegian sector due to the favorable rotations (14/28). Gives me more time at home in Thailand.

Wow you're lucky, I thought it was impossible to work on Noogie sector and live in Asia. Or do you pay your flights yourself? Are you 3rd party, or you work for the drilling company?

I would have noooo problems in working 2 weeks, then fly home to BKK for 4 weeks.

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been following the forum. The company pays. It's actually required of them. Atleast if your in the Electrical field on the Norwegian sector. The regulations clearly state that the employer must pay the travel from the adress the employe is registered at. It doesn't apply however if you move after they allready hired you.

• 2 weeks later...

That's really nice. I am rig electrician, but never thought they would hire someone that already lives in Asia.

I'm from the Swedish speaking part of Finland (Åland), so I do 'speak' and understand all Norwegian, I think that is required on Norwegian shelf.

Then there is the tax...but I'd do that too! :-) Okay better start applying then....might take a few years though.

If your a rig electrician then you make atleast 600 000 NOK/year (probably more). That's 3,174,495.02 THB. Even if you had to pay for your tickets yourself I don't really see the problem. A return ticket from Oslo, Stockholm or Copenhagen is between 20 000 - 30 000THB most of the year with the exception of december and january. If you truly relocate and sell everything in Åland, settle any potential debt etc you should easily be able to afford that 8 times per year.

• 3 months later...

Wouldn't really call the Kandahar Air Field a "little paradise" personally, though there are worse places to be. Just (kinda) hope that the next war zone I work in is in a more pleasant location (Fiji, Tahiti - I'm looking at you !!). (Un)fortunately it seems that most of those nicer places aren't interested in going to war just so I can get a pay cheque. Selfish buggers the lot of them !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Congrats to you on that one jake, and best o luck, not sure about location, but at least shorter stints I think than you did in Scotland, which means much more time home with the family

quote name="pigeonjake"]flying to iraq on the 16th to start a new adventure,,,

28/28 will do for me and the rates good,,

jake

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes your right there mate,

had to jak in the scotland job they just wanted me to do longer and longer trips, money was very good but it isnt everything, i said to them, when am i supposed to get home,?

so the next thing i just said im off, tomorow will be my last shift,,lol

and ive had an email from them asking if ill be interested in a start in july till end oct,,lol

also just been offerd start off shore angola, so if it dosnt work out in iraq for any reason, ive got angola to fall back on, and its even rotaion at 35/35 so that would do too,,

seams thers a bit about at the moment

take it easy

jake

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

me again,,

this iraq isnt for this little white ass,

so ill be going to angola, been on the phone and email, dont know my start date as ive got to get visa for angola sorted but the jobs mine,,lol

its offshore on a lay barge,,

the security in iraq, well ill sat wasnt as it should of been, was ok for exon guys, but the petrofac guys,well, ill leave it at that,

take care all werever you are,,

be safe

jake

me again,,

this iraq isnt for this little white ass,

so ill be going to angola, been on the phone and email, dont know my start date as ive got to get visa for angola sorted but the jobs mine,,lol

its offshore on a lay barge,,

the security in iraq, well ill sat wasnt as it should of been, was ok for exon guys, but the petrofac guys,well, ill leave it at that,

take care all werever you are,,

be safe

jake

out of the 2 one suspects Angola would be the better bet, only cobras and land mines to deal with LOL

• Like 1

lol,, your right mate, ive done angola before,

its going to be even rotation 35l35, so thats ok,

and after a couple of trips ill be offshore,, so ive got to get that done as mines out,,

in your experience better to do it here or uk,?

mind you remember ive got to go to uk to do angolan visa, isnt one in thailand,

take care mate,

jake

• 1 month later...