Wildtrack 3.2L Ford Ranger 2013 Wanted

According to http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/12/30/world-10-months-2012-discover-the-top-185-best-selling-models/ Ford sold 105,000 Rangers from Jan - Oct 2012 (#155).

Presumably these are mostly T6 Rangers as the US Ranger died in Dec 2011. So the Rayong plant capacity appears reasonably utilised assuming T6 production has not started in South Africa yet. The references to Ford manufacturing the T6 and the 3.2L Duratorq engine South Africa I looked at were not clear, e.g. http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34848

Maybe Ford got their production forecast wrong, understandable considering the low sales level of the earlier model. Mazda do not seem to have dropped the ball as badly with better pickup sales % increases in both Thailand and Australia last year, despite the BT-50's looks. It would be interesting to know how the production capacity distibution is determined between Ford and Mazda.

I may be wrong but the previous model to the T6 was still in production last year, possibly in a limited quantity, for military purchases and commercial fleet conversions.

I think the T6 production in SA has started and understood that that was going to be the primary source for UK and Lat Am markets. Ford's statements in any market have never been clear regarding what factory serves what market and the floods in Thailand helpfully added to that 'confusion'. Maybe Ford keeps these figures under wraps since competition with other manufacturers with plants in 'non traditional' countries may be very tight.

Ford does seem to have been surprised by the Ranger's success and Mazda less so. The latter did hire new upper sales management mid- 2012 and have garnered a chunk of the Thai market and interested to see that it's moving well in Australia too.

Subscribe to one of the Ranger forums in Australia.

So we can read even more speculative posts from the general public? wink.png It's almost a full-time job just making corrections on the Thai forums I visit, LOL biggrin.png

You are right about that!

I stand corrected on the AAT output. If I recall correctly, the 85,000 units was my 'guesstimate' of all Rangers churned out through late 2012 (approximately 1-year), extrapolated from numerous news articles about the new plant and booming Ranger and BT-50 sales being quoted last summer. Yes, it is ALL speculation when you have a multi-model production facility. If I recall, the existing, older part of the plant spits out Rangers, BT-50's and Everest's and the much touted new bit of the plant does the Fiesta and Mazda 2's & 3's. However, their website doesn't mention the all-new Focus which according to Ford's August 2012 press release, stated it would be assembled in Rayong as well.

There still isn't any evidence of mechanical or QC issues with the 3.2 or the associated A/T. The local, OWNERS forums in Thailand would indicate any production or quality issues pretty quickly over here so not a stretch to assume the Aussie OWNERS would be quick to complain if there was a serious issue. I find it hard to believe that there's a pool of incomplete 3.2's sitting in Rayong waiting to be sorted properly. I think they just did their sums wrong regarding the build ratio of 2.2 versus 3.2 and local demand for the latter. Mazda seems to have benefited by having big-engined BT-50's readily available for Thailands roads as they never targeted the macho Aussie market. With that styling job, how could they!?

False statement. Check the aussie sales figures on the BT-50.

I seem to be raising a few hackles among the Mazda fans as well as the Ranger 3.2 dreamers.

I have subsequently seen a post that refers to an article that indicates 'surprising' BT-50 sales volume downundah.

There was also an article mid- 2012 that similarly indicated 'amazing' Ranger sales levels in Thailand.

Maybe they all got the forecast wrong.

Maybe they all underplay their hands in a competitive market. Then they can spin these tales of unexpected success and keep the shareholders quiet.

Meanwhile, some (most) customers are still waiting.

Edited by NanLaew

So we can read even more speculative posts from the general public? wink.png It's almost a full-time job just making corrections on the Thai forums I visit, LOL biggrin.png

I stand corrected on the AAT output. If I recall correctly, the 85,000 units was my 'guesstimate' of all Rangers churned out through late 2012 (approximately 1-year), extrapolated from numerous news articles about the new plant and booming Ranger and BT-50 sales being quoted last summer. Yes, it is ALL speculation when you have a multi-model production facility. If I recall, the existing, older part of the plant spits out Rangers, BT-50's and Everest's and the much touted new bit of the plant does the Fiesta and Mazda 2's & 3's. However, their website doesn't mention the all-new Focus which according to Ford's August 2012 press release, stated it would be assembled in Rayong as well.

There still isn't any evidence of mechanical or QC issues with the 3.2 or the associated A/T. The local, OWNERS forums in Thailand would indicate any production or quality issues pretty quickly over here so not a stretch to assume the Aussie OWNERS would be quick to complain if there was a serious issue. I find it hard to believe that there's a pool of incomplete 3.2's sitting in Rayong waiting to be sorted properly. I think they just did their sums wrong regarding the build ratio of 2.2 versus 3.2 and local demand for the latter. Mazda seems to have benefited by having big-engined BT-50's readily available for Thailands roads as they never targeted the macho Aussie market. With that styling job, how could they!?

I seem to be raising a few hackles among the Mazda fans as well as the Ranger 3.2 dreamers.

I have subsequently seen a post that refers to an article that indicates 'surprising' BT-50 sales volume downundah.

There was also an article mid- 2012 that similarly indicated 'amazing' Ranger sales levels in Thailand.

Maybe they all underplay their hands in a competitive market. Then they can spin these tales of unexpected success and keep the shareholders quiet.

Well, that happens if you give untrue statements 'they never targeted the macho Aussie market'. Nothing to do with the rest of your explanation, but simply not true.

Well, that happens if you give untrue statements 'they never targeted the macho Aussie market'. Nothing to do with the rest of your explanation, but simply not true.

So I have upset the macho Aussies as well?

Result!!!

Hey Mark, been cruising about in my Wildtrak for nearly a year now mate, tell em to get their skates on haha.

I seem to remember that Buddy was'nt you just about the first person to get one on here?....how much money changed hands to expediate things? we are going to have to have a get together mate I have not had a proper blow out for ages and Pia keeps asking about crazy Lukey....

PM inbound

Hey Mark, been cruising about in my Wildtrak for nearly a year now mate, tell em to get their skates on haha.

I seem to remember that Buddy was'nt you just about the first person to get one on here?....how much money changed hands to expediate things? we are going to have to have a get together mate I have not had a proper blow out for ages and Pia keeps asking about crazy Lukey....

PM inbound

I ordered it in Nov/Dec 2011 mate, it turned up last April. Their customer service is utter Dogs eggs though, and didn't have a particular smooth transfer with Ford.

• Like 1

PM inbound

I ordered it in Nov/Dec 2011 mate, it turned up last April. Their customer service is utter Dogs eggs though, and didn't have a particular smooth transfer with Ford.

I know what you mean about the dealers being dog toffee mate but we have a 2010 Wildtrak and it has been bombproof really, never had any problems with it or Ford's servicing here in Pattaya, dealing with them trying to get the new one though has been a masterclass in being pissed about by idiots......

Edited by mark131v

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone and thanks for opinons... a few months after writing about this topic i managed to secure a vehicle in White as we wanted... delivery through

a BKK Ford dealer was supposed to be Mid-August, yes i did agree to pay a bit more.... they then called me end of August and said they have my Orange one

ready, i did not order orange, ok then mid September we will have a White one for you, they called end of September your Black one has arrived...... i ordered

White ok maybe mid-October ???? and it goes on as of today no definite news and i have only paid a deposit, small amount.

My Phuket dealer has told me November now, this did not even come from the boy who sold me the vehicle but a friend of mine here in Phuket who knows the Ford

Dealership owner in Phuket very well... mine for November (this was mentioned 2 months ago so.... who knows) and my friends in White also for January 2014...

Who knows maybe the Phuket vehicle will arrive before the BKK vehicle..

I tried the Ford HQ in BKK but just get the usual non-committment replies and product delays etc etc.

i have waited long enough now i will just sit and see who delivers first and when ....?

i also have been watching the various car websites online and there was a silver one for sale a few weeks back and you can pick up the 2.2l 4 cylinder anytime if you

are happy with the smaller engine..

lets see and when and if i get my vehicle i will try to remember to come back on this topic and let people know the outcome...

Thank you..

Hi Everyone and thanks for opinons... a few months after writing about this topic i managed to secure a vehicle in White as we wanted... delivery through

a BKK Ford dealer was supposed to be Mid-August, yes i did agree to pay a bit more.... they then called me end of August and said they have my Orange one

ready, i did not order orange, ok then mid September we will have a White one for you, they called end of September your Black one has arrived...... i ordered

White ok maybe mid-October ???? and it goes on as of today no definite news and i have only paid a deposit, small amount.

My Phuket dealer has told me November now, this did not even come from the boy who sold me the vehicle but a friend of mine here in Phuket who knows the Ford

Dealership owner in Phuket very well... mine for November (this was mentioned 2 months ago so.... who knows) and my friends in White also for January 2014...

Who knows maybe the Phuket vehicle will arrive before the BKK vehicle..

I tried the Ford HQ in BKK but just get the usual non-committment replies and product delays etc etc.

i have waited long enough now i will just sit and see who delivers first and when ....?

i also have been watching the various car websites online and there was a silver one for sale a few weeks back and you can pick up the 2.2l 4 cylinder anytime if you

are happy with the smaller engine..

lets see and when and if i get my vehicle i will try to remember to come back on this topic and let people know the outcome...

Thank you..

It's a shame that no one seems to have a true picture on what's really going on with the 3.2L WildTrack. Speculation doesn't cut it.

I have the perfect solution to find out the real cause(s) of this back-up:

Since the 'Powers-to-be' at Ford have been successful at keeping the truth behind the back-up away from the general public, what needs to be done is for a group of us guys, along with a Thai buddy each, plan to spend a long weekend in Rayong. All that has to be done is to arrive before 4 PM, at 2, 3, or 4 of the local watering holes of the Ford Wildtrack line factory workers. Before closing time that evening - Saturday's closing at the latest, we should know all the details about the 3.2L WildTrack backup.

Factory workers always have the inside scoop!

Thanks.

If you're that desperate for one, accept the offer irrespective of colour and have it resprayed for about 40K with the colour of your choice.

Do you have contacts for such good quality resprays?

Most of the big dealers have spray booths, just poke your head in and ask.

It does not need to be Ford, if the price is right anyone will do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update everyone in my ventures for a Wildtrak 3.2l in White..... well its been awhile since my last post... i was told by the owner of Ford Phuket it would be Nov 2013. i went to visit Ford Phuket early Oct and was

told not until Jan/Feb 2014 maybe we only getting 3 per month. so i changed my mission. i sent an email to all Ford Dealers in BKK offering an incentive. thb 50,000 whoever could get me a White one ASAP..

So end Oct 2013 i visited 4 Ford dealers out of 5 before hitting the right one.... First dealer maybe 2 weeks for thb50,000 but could be end of month, no thanks i will try no.2 dealer.

No.2 dealer i can give you Black one next week sorry don't want Black. No.3 dealer we have a White one 2 weeks - i really want one ASAP.

Jackpot no.4 dealer, how about tomorrow.... yes please, is it White, yes, how can you do oh its for a client but they away so you can have and we will give them next available White one but this client not fussed about the colour. DEAL.....

Bonus thb50,000 paid, car delivered 28th Oct monday.... sometimes we just have to think outside the square....

Just to update everyone in my ventures for a Wildtrak 3.2l in White..... well its been awhile since my last post... i was told by the owner of Ford Phuket it would be Nov 2013. i went to visit Ford Phuket early Oct and was

told not until Jan/Feb 2014 maybe we only getting 3 per month. so i changed my mission. i sent an email to all Ford Dealers in BKK offering an incentive. thb 50,000 whoever could get me a White one ASAP..

So end Oct 2013 i visited 4 Ford dealers out of 5 before hitting the right one.... First dealer maybe 2 weeks for thb50,000 but could be end of month, no thanks i will try no.2 dealer.

No.2 dealer i can give you Black one next week sorry don't want Black. No.3 dealer we have a White one 2 weeks - i really want one ASAP.

Jackpot no.4 dealer, how about tomorrow.... yes please, is it White, yes, how can you do oh its for a client but they away so you can have and we will give them next available White one but this client not fussed about the colour. DEAL.....

Bonus thb50,000 paid, car delivered 28th Oct monday.... sometimes we just have to think outside the square....

Congrats on your new pickup! clap2.gif

I think the Wildtrack 3.2 highback looks cool -

though I personally would have taken that Black one! thumbsup.gif

Please keep us posted ....

yes the white one arrived 31st oct and thanks to the dealer who took the incentive..

Now the funny part, after visiting Ford Phuket mid october and now being told jan/feb 2014 delivery, i get an email from them yesterday

saying they have my white one ready end of November..... what a stuff up by Ford or the Phuket dealer you never know...

anyone want a white 3.2l its still in my name ?????

Thanks.

If you're that desperate for one, accept the offer irrespective of colour and have it resprayed for about 40K with the colour of your choice.

Do you have contacts for such good quality resprays?

Seeing as how poor the paint on the Ranger is I reckon a few hours on a Sunday arvo with 10 rattle packs of white paint it would be as good as OEM.

• Like 2

Paying 50 k THB bribe above the price for an ordinary pickup? And on top of it, one that cannot Wade through water and has butter thin panels... Some people must be having more money than common sense.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Paying 50 k THB bribe above the price for an ordinary pickup? And on top of it, one that cannot Wade through water and has butter thin panels... Some people must be having more money than common sense.

I think you mean wafer thin. Butter isn't thin although its rather squidgy. People who eat a lot of butter also aren't thinbiggrin.png

I think you mean wafer thin. Butter isn't thin although its rather squidgy. People who eat a lot of butter also aren't thinbiggrin.png

Butter is soft though (unless in the fridge too long).