Thais Cant Understand Two And Three In English ?

BuffaloRescue

Ive noticed.. almost every time i say "Two" in English.. they understand as "Three".

Im just wondering if i mumble or have strange accent or something because I cant actually think of a time when a Thai has understood when ive said "Two" correctly.

Usually I speak to people in Thai unless they speak English well then I use English but even educated people who speak English well can never seem to understand "Two".

To me it sounds quite different.. Two and Three - totally different sounds.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to work out if there is some hidden joke or something in your post that should be funny...... never had the problem myself. Where are you from?

No hidden joke unless its on their part!. Im from south England. Got an estuary accent most people think i speak clearly maybe a bit quietly. Ill try talking louder when i say TWO

I'm trying to work out if there is some hidden joke or something in your post that should be funny...... never had the problem myself. Where are you from?

No hidden joke unless its on their part!. Im from south England. Got an estuary accent most people think i speak clearly maybe a bit quietly. Ill try talking louder when i say TWO

Did someone say something?

<deleted> is an estuary accent?

Edited by lovelaos

Google's to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English

I'd never heard of that which surprised me since I originate from that neck of the woods. Then I scrolled to the bottom of the wikki page and saw "This page was last modified on 28 February 2013 at 02:35." - well that explains it - only existed for a couple of weeks no wonder....

biggrin.png one, two 333,345,535,535,523,875,333

Edited by Pomthai

If you've got a real estuary accent then English people won't understand you. Which would explain it as I've never had this problem.

• Like 1

If you've got a real estuary accent then English people won't understand you. Which would explain it as I've never had this problem.

Nonsense! Estuary English is perfectly understandable, if a little coarse for most gentlemen's clubs in the City...

As an American I have a hell of a time understanding some English accents. Face to face and one on one I can usually understand without much trouble. For myself it is about the same as understanding a Thai speaking English. Understanding over the phone can be seemingly impossible with some. Now I have a new neighbor from somewhere in England and we talk a lot between ourselves. He has maybe the most soft spoken voice I have ever encountered and there is no way I can hear his words let alone sort out his accent when he does finally project his voice. When I indicate I cannot hear him he sits up straighter, takes a deep breath and has this appearance that he will turn the volume up. Then he speaks even quieter than before. I miss about a good 50% of what he says but I always agree 100% with him on whatever it is I failed to hear. After all this rambling my point is that it could be as you say...maybe you speak too softly and do not project your voice.

• Like 2

Did someone say something?

estuary accent? ... isn't that when someone can talk underwater?

• Like 1

As an American I have a hell of a time understanding some English accents. Face to face and one on one I can usually understand without much trouble. For myself it is about the same as understanding a Thai speaking English. Understanding over the phone can be seemingly impossible with some. Now I have a new neighbor from somewhere in England and we talk a lot between ourselves. He has maybe the most soft spoken voice I have ever encountered and there is no way I can hear his words let alone sort out his accent when he does finally project his voice. When I indicate I cannot hear him he sits up straighter, takes a deep breath and has this appearance that he will turn the volume up. Then he speaks even quieter than before. I miss about a good 50% of what he says but I always agree 100% with him on whatever it is I failed to hear. After all this rambling my point is that it could be as you say...maybe you speak too softly and do not project your voice.

As an American I have a hell of a time understanding some English accents"

And the reverse.

• Like 1

Doctor doctor it hurts when I do "this"

- Well maybe you should stop doing that!

I don't know about that kind of UK accent, but some do "swallow" their T's and warp the vowels a bit. Talking with foreigners, even when trying to do so in their own language, requires greater mindfulness than when you're chatting with friends back home.

Don't worry I know a NES would think you were treating them like an idiot doing this, but you won't have that problem with most Thais.

If you thoroughly aspirate the opening T sound with a proper plosive that would blow out a candle, and lengthen the oooo vowel sound, you should be alright.

Saying the same thing again in exactly the same way, or god forbid just speaking more loudly doesn't help.

• Like 1

That's nothing

When I stop at a petrol station and ask for 'gair-so-hol' they seem to think I wanted 'ben-seen'

How in hell can they confuse those two words in their own language.

You won't have that problem if you buy a dee-sen.

Edited by chickenslegs