3G Mobile Phone Service To Be Launched In Thailand In April

webfact

3G mobile phone service to be launched in April
By English News

13631400752222.jpg

BANGKOK, March 13 – Thailand's long-awaited third-generation mobile phone service on the 2.1 GHz spectrum will be available in this country in April, according to a senior official of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).

NBTC deputy secretary general Korkit Darnchaivichit said operators of the 3G-2.1 GHz service have imported 41,628 telecommunications radios for base stations and sought the NBTC’s permission to set up 1,208 additional stations.

He said the 3G-2.1 GHz service fee will be 15 per cent cheaper than the present mobile phone rates but users’ mobile phones must be compatible with 3G Sim cards, otherwise their mobile phones will run on the present 2G cellular telecom networks and their phone rates will not be lower.

He urged consumers to check if their mobile phones are applicable to 3G service.

Mr Korkit said the NBTC has instructed mobile phone operators to ensure that the quality of 2G service remains reliable.

Consumers who have problems with mobile phone service are requested to register their complaint to the NBTC’s Call Centre at Tel. 1200 or SMS 1200, free of charge, or telephone to 0.2271-3516 or via email at [email protected] (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-13

Oooh, yes,.... we haven't heard anything about 3G for 5 months? So what happened?

Oh never mind the fact about a possible blackout in Bangkok in April, which will buy the telecommunication SCAMMERS another 6 months to 1 year, in order to discuss another final final final....... FINAL-and 999999999999999999.....INFINITE DELAY until things are getting dragged out again, in order to get another final final final final final..........9999999999999999999999 INFINITE FINALIZATION PROCESS AKA DELAY,...... which will never be finalized......

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Proxynomics where is my 3 (FAKE) G

Consumers who have problems with mobile phone service are requested to register their complaint to the NBTC’s Call Centre at Tel. 1200 or SMS 1200, free of charge, or telephone to 0.2271-3516 or via email at [email protected] (MCOT online news)

I can't speak Thai, and they probably can't speak English very well... When something is suddenly wrong with our phones or what we call an overload in outdated broadband cable overload, which will get your connections stuck or disconnected a millions of time.... the next Chaos begins at the several telecom stations

Edited by MaxLee

I will sound like a total stupid guy but for months now on my phone and even Ipad I can see the sign 3G on my screen. Does it mean it exist already in Bangkok ? I am lost .

Same here, True 3G comes up on mine too. I hate phones anyway, Hello and By By is all i need.coffee1.gif

I will sound like a total stupid guy but for months now on my phone and even Ipad I can see the sign 3G on my screen. Does it mean it exist already in Bangkok ? I am lost .

Bangkok and several other Cities have 3G already but in most of the country you can only get EDGE (2G)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Is this news worthy ?

4G is what we need , when can we experience that in Thailand ?

Truemove-H is launching 4G LTE trials in the BKK area this April. Samart (MVNO) are also to start a trial 4G run on TOT's network around the same time.

Here's the deal for people posting above who are already seeing 3G symbols on their mobile devices:

True Move H for some time has been offering a 3G service on its 850 Mhz band, available in BKK and various of the bigger outlying cities.

DTAC also I believe has been offering some 3G in BKK, not sure about elsewhere, on the 850 Mhz band.

Likewise, AIS has been offering a 3G service for some time on its 900 Mhz band, available in BKK and a few other cities.

In contrast, the NEW 3G service that the major mobile carriers bid for and were awarded government concessions for is on the 2100 Mhz band.

So the new service will operate on a different cellular band than the current ones (with the exception of TOT/IMobile which already has been running on 2100 Mhz 3G in BKK for the past couple years).

The 3G service on the 2100 Mhz band supposedly will be built out by the major carriers in a broader way, reaching more population (target of 80%), compared to the fledgling efforts the carriers began running pretty much on their own after the original 3G mobile auction process died a couple years ago.

For the near term, the major carriers likely will end up operating their 3G mobile services under a combination of their existing bands and the new 2100 Mhz bands, and then gradually migrating their users more to the 2100 Mhz band over time. They may or may not end up keeping control of their current 850 and 900 Mhz band concessions when they expire.

The prices for the new 3G service may be less than those for the current generation of 3G services because the carriers will be paying a lower amount of concession fees under the new deals with the NBTC, compared to what they have been paying to CAT and TOT under their prior concessions.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Bangkok and several other Cities have 3G already but in most of the country you can only get EDGE (2G)

Not all of Bangkok is covered. Those that are, still are not covered by all servers. I can get true 3G in Most areas of Dokmai, But Dtac & AIS forget it.

jb1

Here's the deal for people posting above who are already seeing 3G symbols on their mobile devices:

True Move H for some time has been offering a 3G service on its 850 Mhz band, available in BKK and various of the bigger outlying cities.

Truemove-H have had 850Mhz 42mbps 3G services virtually country-wide (~7500 Tambon) since mid 2012, and all the 2.1GHz equipment they imported is 4G LTE compat ;)

True Move H appears to have different 3G coverage maps on their Thai and English web pages...

Here's their Thai language 3G service map:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/coverage

Here's their English language 3G service map:

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx#

The page has check boxes underneath the map to select current coverage vs. future coverage.

DTAC also I believe has been offering some 3G in BKK, not sure about elsewhere, on the 850 Mhz band.

Likewise, AIS has been offering a 3G service for some time on its 900 Mhz band, available in BKK and a few other cities.

In contrast, the NEW 3G service that the major mobile carriers bid for and were awarded government concessions for is on the 2100 Mhz band.

So the new service will operate on a different cellular band than the current ones (with the exception of TOT/IMobile which already has been running on 2100 Mhz 3G in BKK for the past couple years).

The 3G service on the 2100 Mhz band supposedly will be built out by the major carriers in a broader way, reaching more population (target of 80%), compared to the fledgling efforts the carriers began running pretty much on their own after the original 3G mobile auction process died a couple years ago.

For the near term, the major carriers likely will end up operating their 3G mobile services under a combination of their existing bands and the new 2100 Mhz bands, and then gradually migrating their users more to the 2100 Mhz band over time. They may or may not end up keeping control of their current 850 and 900 Mhz band concessions when they expire.

The prices for the new 3G service may be less than those for the current generation of 3G services because the carriers will be paying a lower amount of concession fees under the new deals with the NBTC, compared to what they have been paying to CAT and TOT under their prior concessions.

Nice explanation, thanks.

We've had national 3G coverage from four service providers since August 2011: AIS, TrueMove H/CAT (10,000-ish base stations), DTAC (5,000-ish base stations and TOT (5,000-ish base stations). By national coverage I mean addressing 80% of the population.

This article is more about the roll-out of the recently auctioned 2100 MHz 3G which service providers will use to complement their existing concessions, or replace them in the case of TrueMove.

The 2100 MHz spectrum could support 4G/LTE but there aren't a lot of compatible phones here so I'd expect most to expand their 3G footprint.

In theory, once TrueMove's 1800 MHz GSM concession end on 15 Sep 2013, the NBTC might auction 1800 MHz, and that spectrum might be used for 4G/LTE; a lot of the existing equipment can be re-farmed to 2100/1800 MHz LTE, once there are enough compatible hand-sets in the country.

There are several 4G/LTE trials in Bangkok (and Maha Sarakham) now on 900, 1800 and 2300 MHz.

For subscribers I'm not certain you'll notice any huge advantages of LTE over 3G, if/when that becomes a reality. For service providers LTE offers benefits.

This is only if you use AIS or DTAC. TueMove also the service sucks at some time has 3G even in the villages already.

Yet another Thai farce.

We are struggling to get an acceptable level of coverage that not even Bangkok has while the whole world is rolling out LTE!

News? You have to be kidding right......

I wish I were back in the US or UK, where I could reliably get a fast signal, nation-wide, cheaply and with fantastic customer service to boot.

I blame Thailand's 3rd world telecommunications on Thaksin!

You don't have to go that far.....just pop into Laos - Nationwide 3G and really GOOD CS!

I wish I were back in the US or UK, where I could reliably get a fast signal, nation-wide, cheaply and with fantastic customer service to boot.

I blame Thailand's 3rd world telecommunications on Thaksin!

You don't have to go that far.....just pop into Laos - Nationwide 3G and really GOOD CS!

Not just Laos, Cambodia is doing better than Thailand.

What with the Thai obsession with losing face how they can allow true third world countries to offer better TelCom services is simply beyond me. This has been going on for YEARS and how much further forward are we?

Up pops the latest updates on how 3G is almost here. Then there are the advertising board proclaiming 3.5G I think I even saw one offering 3.9G and we all get excited thinking 'maybe this year it will really happen' but no just more old news falling on deaf and bored ears.....

So why do I not see 3G on my phone:

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500

DTAC 3g/Wifi internet sim card

Bangkok

Perhaps it's the internet package?

Yeah, I use EDGE package 99B/20HRS/1M

So how does the volume-based 3G package work? Let's say you use 75MB, does that mean that you

download data (load videos, internet pages etc) up to 75MB of data on 3G network/speed and once reached,

no 3G speed but back to EDGE?

Edited by arminbkk

So why do I not see 3G on my phone:

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus GT-S7500

DTAC 3g/Wifi internet sim card

Bangkok

Perhaps it's the internet package?

Yeah, I use EDGE package 99B/20HRS/1M

So how does the volume-based 3G package work? Let's say you use 75MB, does that mean that you

download data (load videos, internet pages etc) up to 75MB of data on 3G network/speed and once reached,

no 3G speed but back to EDGE?

Yes, that's about it............you get about 1.5 GB for 350/400 baht (AIS)