Thailand's First Case: Iphone5 Explodes While User Is Taking Call

webfact

Wow - This certain brings out a few posters who show their extreme bias against apple.

Out of millions of iPhone units 1 has a fault... that's hardly evidence to damn a whole brand.

I don't care either way - but common guys, show some balance..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57568095-94/samsung-cell-phone-battery-explodes-in-mans-pocket/

http://ttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/06/samsung-battery_n_2628885.html

nothing against apple besides that its expensive stuff but who knows the real cause , talk with consumption extensive expose to moist , peepee in his pants before , keep it in extreme hot sun on the table, many causes can make any device fail

+1....or maybe it was a copy ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 phone explodes = tv grumpy team happy to bash a brand

Best overall performance and lifetime in my hands have been my reliable IPhone 4 surviving my harsh treatment at work and play with dust ,sweat and tears being dropped multiple times on hard surfaces still with the same slim silicone cover that i put on when i boutght it

yes its Jailbroken since day 1 no apple restrictions for me

it's been

Perfect performance from my iPhone 4 since 2009

Outlasting any phone I've had before by years

a happy tv reader

Sad to be witness to the many negative people here on tv almost every thread gets the grumpy old mad treatment

For many TV BM's there seems to be little more satisfying than a good old fashioned "Apple bash".

I don't have an ipod, iphone, ipad, or Apple Computer. I will never buy anything with an eaten apple on it. Overpriced Junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you ...

I am surprised when people brag about nor owning an apple device or an android. If you dont need them dont use it ... Why tell about it.

Got to admit it seems odd to me as well.

this kind of stuff will only cause manufactures to move production out of China. It is already happening in America. More and more American companies are moving production back to America

What is the source for this claim? I have heard quite a few people make it, but as someone involved in manufacturing I have seen zero actual evidence for it. There have been a number of US companies that have shut down operations in China - but every case of this I know of falls into two categories - either they were moving things to some place that had lower costs than China or they were moving for tariff reasons to some place like Mexico that can sell directly into the US market.

There have been a few small SKD assembly operations set up in the US - and, again, this has been for tariff reasons.

Believe me, I would love to see a large scale return of manufacturing to the US - but I honestly can't see any sign of it

Until last year I was a product manager for a very large

international

company. One of my last projects was moving production of a consumer

product from China to the US for manufacturing. There are a lot of

factors in the decision including transportation time and cost, import

duties, travel time of the development team, etc. but even leaving that

aside my calculations were that a product with 1 hour of assembly labor

with a retail value of $499 was the break even point on manufacturing

costs US vs China. This calculation took into consideration actual costs

but not time or development costs which also are reduced if the product is made

closer to the team.

Even though labor is still cheap in

China, costs are rising which is also why you see movement to other,

cheaper countries. I also moved a product out of the US before I left

(to India), but it has a retail price point of $150 and took an hour to

make, not profitable in the US.

Even smart phones can handle so much craptalk.

Haha, your right. Some much sh*te, the expensive phone just couldn't take it!

Wonder, how many smartphones can handle the 'Thai usage'???

I guess the user must've exceeded the software limit for terms like " naraak" and "kidthueng". rolleyes.gif

Don't forget the 'kin kaow yung?'

• Like 1

1 phone explodes = tv grumpy team happy to bash a brand

Best overall performance and lifetime in my hands have been my reliable IPhone 4 surviving my harsh treatment at work and play with dust ,sweat and tears being dropped multiple times on hard surfaces still with the same slim silicone cover that i put on when i boutght it

yes its Jailbroken since day 1 no apple restrictions for me

it's been

Perfect performance from my iPhone 4 since 2009

Outlasting any phone I've had before by years

a happy tv reader

Sad to be witness to the many negative people here on tv almost every thread gets the grumpy old mad treatment

you do know Thaivisa is the hub of grumpy old people in the world

LiPo batteries can make some impressive fireworks. Now if they can only get them to be reliable on Dreamliners.....

LiPo batteries store a lot of energy in a very compact area and have a very low internal resistance so can discharge very fast, often the problem is with the electronics controlling the charging or a fault causing a short circuit, once a battery overheats to a critical temperature it is an out of control chain reaction.

Also Thailand is very close to China in many ways, and I for one have a lot of experience with electronics from China, and to describe most of "China Exports" as crap would be an under estimate.

this kind of stuff will only cause manufactures to move production out of China. It is already happening in America. More and more American companies are moving production back to America

says who?

i think you just made that up !!!

china is a cheap place to make stuff.

Apple has their own managers and supervisors there from america.

i dont agree with your comment.

1 faulty phone out of millions is not any reason to change your entire production house!!!

but of course it will be a short-term dent in the image of apple. maybe it costs them a few thousand units over the next month or two. (then people forget,, and back to normal).

My charger blew up on the first charge, apple sent out a new one and handled it really well.

It's not only a problem but how company handles the problem , after all Apple is not a God so faults may happen .

For one poster who claims Nokia is better, he must be insane, as while it does not explode it just does not work

Who?

Those that can not afford the Apple expierience can certainly for go something else. There are many other phones that work just great. I appluad you for liking what you have. I just enjoy "syncing" my Ipad, iPodTouch, and my IPhone. Expensive, yes. Worth it, Yes.

I have visions of many iphone5 users on tv taking the phone out the shorts pocket and placing it at a distancew00t.gif

Like this boy - iPhone explodes in 17 year old boys pocket wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4DDaooCmrY

Pretty fortunate to have a camera rolling with good lighting and to have the explosion in the middle of the frame. I'm sure it was just dumb luck.

• Like 1

Fake phones, fake batteries, This is Thailand

+1. Remember we're talking about the hub of knockoffs, where you can get anything from a fake Louis Vuitton bag to a fake Rolex and now most likely fake iPhones too.

My iPhone 5 gets warm when I am watching streaming video, but never when I am just talking on the phone.

Fake phones, fake batteries, This is Thailand

Good point actually. Loads of little repair shops here sell (and will install) iPhone batteries of questionable origin. Who knows if the guy had an original.

Anyway, sorry to interrupt; TV Team Grumpy, continue your good work please.

• Like 2

I can offer 10 unbiased facts.

1. Lithium Ion batteries can and do swell (up to 10 times their thickness), smoke, catch fire and explode when punctured, overcharged, smashed, or defective.

2. All brands of phones and many other consumer devices use these batteries.

3. Apple builds battery in making it impossible to remove and giving it nowhere to go if it does begin to swell. (not optimal in safety perspective)

4. Apple does not make batteries, battery companies make batteries (Sony has supplied Apple with defective batteries in the past)

5. I have personally repaired close to 10,000 iPhones (3,5 years in business) and worked with battery powered devices for the past 15 years.

6. I have seen dangerously swollen batteries about 10-15 times during this time. Pretty scary every time.

7. I have never seen one explode on it's own, without my help. wink.png But they do smoke, explode, burn and flash dramatically when you poke, or smash them.

8. Of the hundreds of million devices out there it will happen now and then that a battery swells, and explodes.

9. Meteors will fall from the sky, someone will choke on milk and die, and in Thailand they just say Mai Pen Rai.

10. This is my second post, be nice.

p.s. There are no copy iPhones - there are products that resemble an iPhone on the outside, but nothing that comes anywhere close to the function or features of a "real" iPhone. After a short time there will be copy iPhone 5 batteries as there are copies of iPhone 2, 3 and 4 batteries, which are of inferior quality and often don't work at all, but the safety record is probably not that different. and it's quite uncommon to need to replace batteries in iPhones anyway.

blessed be a guy that actually knows about these devices

• Like 2

Thay will teach him to stop buying crap! Samsung or Nokia, <deleted> to apple.

This is a reply to all the knee jerk anti Apple comments:

This happens to smartphones from time to time but it is not restricted to Apple and your ignorance on this betrays your ignorance on technology in general and your bias against one company in particular.

A simple Google search will reveal that a Motorola Droid 2 blew up in Texas while a man was on a call blowing phone parts into his ear. A Samsung Galaxy Note has caught fire in a man's pocket in Korea this month. In june last year, a Galaxy SIII mounted in a car started sparking and flaming. These things seem to happen worldwide a couple of times a year on all makes of smartphones. There are some suspected technical reasons I won't bother you with.

I guess my point is, when you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk about it.

• Like 1

I have visions of many iphone5 users on tv taking the phone out the shorts pocket and placing it at a distancew00t.gif

Like this boy - iPhone explodes in 17 year old boys pocket wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4DDaooCmrY

You mean it isn't just 1 phone that explodes as Richard claims w00t.gif

The point I made wasn't difficult to grasp without being too literal..

You have your J & P's mixed up...

Thay will teach him to stop buying crap! Samsung or Nokia, <deleted> to apple.

I'll be willing to bet that, That is a knock off I phone which come from Laos. There are more Iphone clones here than real ones, just like the Rolex.....lol

"Apple Suck!",

"No, Samsung suck!"

"No, YOU suck"

"Well, MY dad is bigger than YOUR Dad!"

"Fine, your're not coming to my party"

Grow up, children. It's a 'phone. I can think of far more important causes to be passionate about.

• Like 2

By all means. Bash the iPhone.

I did. I left mine in the guttering of my old Saab's heavy hatchback door.

Slamming the hatchback three times to shut it and wondering why the door would not close!!

The phone was still working after that bit of abuse and one little crack in the screen started to discolour it.

3 days past its two year extended guarantee date had expired, Apple replaced it.

For people like me that drop phones a lot and so forth the iPhone is a must.

I don't believe anything else could take the abuse.

I have been using Apple computers for 30 years and they still outclass the rest. They are even better at running Windows. However other tablet phones are now actually better even though I still use an iPhone, I can see me having a new Samsung soon. Everything must change. . .

WARNING:

Do not leave any phone on charge overnight,

too close to your bed.

Lightning strikes have been known to light things and people up good and proper.

• Like 1

By all means. Bash the iPhone.

I did. I left mine in the guttering of my old Saab's heavy hatchback door.

Slamming the hatchback three times to shut it and wondering why the door would not close!!

The phone was still working after that bit of abuse and one little crack in the screen started to discolour it.

3 days past its two year extended guarantee date had expired, Apple replaced it.

For people like me that drop phones a lot and so forth the iPhone is a must.

I don't believe anything else could take the abuse.

I have been using Apple computers for 30 years and they still outclass the rest. They are even better at running Windows. However other tablet phones are now actually better even though I still use an iPhone, I can see me having a new Samsung soon. Everything must change. . .

WARNING:

Do not leave any phone on charge overnight,

too close to your bed.

Lightning strikes have been known to light things and people up good and proper.

So when you smash your Iphone, Apple replaces it under warranty ?

Anyone who can confirm that ?