5-Year-Old Kindergarten Boy Seriously Beaten By 7-Year-Old Prathom 1 Student

webfact

'Attacked' student, 5, still in serious condition
Supachai Petchthewee
The Nation

30201903-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A five-year-old Suphan Buri kindergarten boy who was seriously injured in an alleged assault by a seven-year-old Prathom 1 student earlier this week must remain on respiratory aid for at least six weeks.

Chulalongkorn Hospital assistant-director for critical patients Dr Apichai Angsapat reported yesterday on the findings of a physical examination on the boy, transferred to the Bangkok hospital on March 12.

He said the young patient still had a blood and heart valvular infection and pericardial effusion, while his left arm and rib skin and muscle were inflamed. The boy also showed symptoms of depression.

Doctors have put him on a respiratory device, while providing antibiotics and medicine to increase his blood pressure.

The boy's condition remains stable and must be under surveillance for at least another six weeks. "His condition in general is considered serious but he is stable.

It's difficult to [report on any improvement] because we received him only on Tuesday evening and we have to keep him under surveillance and treat him accordingly," he added.

Yesterday afternoon,the Pavena Foundation for Children and Women's founder Pavena Hongsakul, took the boy's grandmother Somkuan Rungthong, mother Kornphaka Feungfoo and aunt Suwanna Samthong to visit the boy.

Somkuan said his alleged attacker hadn't contacted the family about the assault case and they would let police and the justice system run its course.

They would now focus on praying for the boy's quick recovery. She thanked the foundation for helping them.

Pavena said she also contacted Suphan Buri police to speed up investigation and also urged the Social Security and Human Security Ministry to help the family.

Later yesterday evening, Pavena said she would take the family to the Education Ministry to ask for measures to take care of students during lunch break.

The foundation received many complaints about student fighting or molesting during lunch breaks because there was no teacher to supervise them.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-14

A tragic incident.

Surely it's a reasonable assumption that after taking your child to school, you can expect them to return home safely.

The Head/Principal/Director seems to be conspicuous by his absence. Another one of these 'nothing to do with me'?

It's also a concern that the hospital have no idea if he is getting worse or better (medical Hub?). Also, why are patients 'received' (like a parcel), rather than admitted?

I'm probably right that there will be no consequences for his attacker. Until there is a culture in schools where classes are not a lesson in crowd-control, these instances are likely to be repeated. However, even in first world countries, it is realised that children cannot be expected to exercise self-control and so require adult supervision at all times. I was surprised that after a lesson finishes, the children are left to their own devices until the next teacher arrives.

I hope the boy returns to his family, in full health, soon.

The child was transferred to a better hospital only the day before the report so it would be premature for them to speculate. The standard of hospitals in the provinces is such that many serious conditions are not dagnosed or diagnosed too late and too expensive and complicated to treat successfully. One would also think the involvement of the Paveena Hongsakul Foundation immediately would prioritise the child for admission to the better Bangkok hospitals which is where he now is.

I read this story in another place and it said it was 2 boys hitting the small one while encouraged by a seven grader.

All this <deleted>#$@# $hit makes my blood boil. Crazy thing that there are no teachers taking a look on the students in lunch break. Sick that parents (and teachers) are unable to educate their kids. You better use a condom next time, you have sons/daughters exactly for what if you don't even bother to give them some easy values as not fighting like a <deleted>$#@* animal?

My printer ran out of ink so I went to an internet cafe to print some documents. There were probably fourteen computers with a kid playing games on each one. I looked at the games and almost all of them were very violent, kill, kill, kill.

I think this has a lot to do with the children commiting violent acts. The kids sit in front of these computers for hours, some daily. Then when they don't get their way some of them automatically revert to violence.

It's just not an issue here in Thailand but in a lot of countries. Another issue is many parents in this country have no idea where their children go or what they do. Daily family quality time where there is interaction between the parents and children is missing. Reading children books at a young age, teaching them moral values of respecting the rights of others, ect. I guess the kids are just supposed to know these things on their own.

• Like 1

My printer ran out of ink so I went to an internet cafe to print some documents. There were probably fourteen computers with a kid playing games on each one. I looked at the games and almost all of them were very violent, kill, kill, kill.

I think this has a lot to do with the children commiting violent acts. The kids sit in front of these computers for hours, some daily. Then when they don't get their way some of them automatically revert to violence.

It's just not an issue here in Thailand but in a lot of countries. Another issue is many parents in this country have no idea where their children go or what they do. Daily family quality time where there is interaction between the parents and children is missing. Reading children books at a young age, teaching them moral values of respecting the rights of others, ect. I guess the kids are just supposed to know these things on their own.

Unfortunately, this is just a symptom, not a cause. There is a lot of research that shows kids to be de-sensitised to violence by violent ghames, but they are not without an awareness of the impacts of what they do in real life. Sadly...

Unfortunately, this is just a symptom, not a cause. There is a lot of research that shows kids to be de-sensitised to violence by violent ghames, but they are not without an awareness of the impacts of what they do in real life. Sadly...

I think the last paragraph in my post has a lot to do with the actions of children today.

maybe if thai parents stopped giving their kids everything they wanted and actually tried to teach them that they are not gods gift to the world we might see some changes. The amount of news items with bashings, robbery, rape, etc are just unreal, thais think they can do as they please because it is the way they are raised and what they are taught. Maybe teaching them respect for others would stop some of this shit from happening, until they get over themselves it will just be a big part of Thailand.

• Like 1

I'd say the vast majority of my 'problem' students have significant issues at home....some come from split or otherwise dysfunctional families. Then there are others who have little parental supervision and contact, so it's nigh on impossible to get the to do work at school. These are not poor kids I'm talking about either. Their families have lots of money and throw it at the kids as a substitute for love, because they are often not home.

• Like 1

In my village a lot of children are left with grandparents while parents go to work in BKK. sometimes for months on end. Then it is too much for them to handle and the children are left to fend for themselves, bowing to peer pressure from older children who went through the same mill, a never ending circle I fear. As many here say, education and poor parenting skills are the probable cause , though there is the other side of the coin, the poverty that forces some parents to move for better pay....just my humble opinion...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

They tried blaming violence in TV and movies, they tried blaming violent games. All this is BS. Why don't they blame poor parenting?

I know a lot of people, myself included who grew up on violent movies and playing Doom. We didn't kill or beat up anyone or burn down shopping centers.

Yeah, but then again you didn't grow up in a closed society where schools gave you overwhelming amounts of study to short-circuit your brain to the point that morals and self-thinking were all thrown out the window, did you?

Violent games in fact have a LOT to do with this. You put your typical simple-minded Thai school child and pair him up with violent games -- THIS -- is what you get. Couple that with your average Thai parent who couldn't give a shit about their own kids, and you accelerate this reaction.

• Like 1

Before you start blaming video games, irresponsible parents, or Thai culture, please check your baselines. We are actually living in perhaps the LEAST violent period in human history. Estimates put the homicide rate in the Medieval Europe, for instance, at as much as 50x what it is today in Europe. Homicide rates generally across the world have declined over the past 100 years... and substantially over recorded history. If you don't believe me, read Pinker's "the Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence has Declined".

Also, this incident is not 'uniquely Thai'. Some of you may remember the terrible story of Jamie Bulger in Liverpool some years back....

Docno.

We know this problem goes on worldwide but we are discussing a specific case that happened here and there are various reasons why it happened and because someone decries this beating they are not really knocking Thailand but voiving their views.

maybe if thai parents stopped giving their kids everything they wanted and actually tried to teach them that they are not gods gift to the world we might see some changes. The amount of news items with bashings, robbery, rape, etc are just unreal, thais think they can do as they please because it is the way they are raised and what they are taught. Maybe teaching them respect for others would stop some of this shit from happening, until they get over themselves it will just be a big part of Thailand.

Let's be fair here, you don't just mean 'Thai' parents. There are problem kids like this all over the world.

True, however this is, after all, the Thailand forum, yes? You are cheating to say that, but I do understand.

With regards to children beating up children, I would have to say that the presence of parental supervision and mentoring in this country is on the same basis with the documentaries I have watched about chimpanzees.

In summary, this is a parent issue; moreover, a father issue. The manner in which Thais bring up their children in this environment revolts me, and Thai fathers in general absolutely disgust me. They raise animals, not humans. Correction: They do not raise; they breed and provide just enough basic needs for their offspring to flourish in a zoo-like environment, and who are lucky enough if there are keepers wherever they happen to be at the time. Humans learn to go against their bestial traits by reinforcement from adult humans who have, or who are self-actualizing. Animals learn only to reenforce their animal instincts they are born with if left unattended.

I see no different behavior here than I see with domesticated dogs, except dogs know when to rollover and the attacker will stop.

I dont feel that the problem is with the games they play or the movies they watch or bad parenting. I am sure their parents did not encourage them to beat other kids. The problem is that these actions are being encouraged because there is no action taken against them. The first time a kid beats other kids, they should be punished accordingly so that they dont do it again and also becomes an example for others not to do it. It is simple, kids or even Adults needs to respect the Law or the culture and be in discipline. The problem is right there - The two kids that beat up the smaller kid. Punish them and send them to therapy so that they learn from the mistake and never do this kind of things again. If you let them go this time (which I feel will happen) then they will learn that they can beat up any kid and can get away with it - and so will other Kids too.

...this is not a tragedy....this 'respect your elder'...regardless of what type of person they are.....

...has been perpetuated for so long....abuse is rampant....bullying....etc...in school.....is commonplace...

....people don't command respect.......they demand it....regardless.....this is not culture....it is lack of culture...

......an excuse for culture....

One psychiatrist back home was of the opinion that watching violent movies, or playing games including violence had no bearing on whether or not a child would later become violent or not.

He was using lots of examples, mainly from Africa, where children were raised without tv's or games, and became very violent.

Burundi Rwanda, to name the obvious, and Congo perhaps.

But there is violence in Thailand, as to why is quite unclear.

Let's be fair here, you don't just mean 'Thai' parents. There are problem kids like this all over the world.

True, however this is, after all, the Thailand forum, yes? You are cheating to say that, but I do understand.

With regards to children beating up children, I would have to say that the presence of parental supervision and mentoring in this country is on the same basis with the documentaries I have watched about chimpanzees.

In summary, this is a parent issue; moreover, a father issue. The manner in which Thais bring up their children in this environment revolts me, and Thai fathers in general absolutely disgust me. They raise animals, not humans. Correction: They do not raise; they breed and provide just enough basic needs for their offspring to flourish in a zoo-like environment, and who are lucky enough if there are keepers wherever they happen to be at the time. Humans learn to go against their bestial traits by reinforcement from adult humans who have, or who are self-actualizing. Animals learn only to reenforce their animal instincts they are born with if left unattended.

I see no different behavior here than I see with domesticated dogs, except dogs know when to rollover and the attacker will stop.

Partly agree with you. But when there is a father in the household, then I fully agree with you.

But I have seen some nice exceptions....

One article I read on this said the younger of the two who beat up this child was egged on by his aunt.

In the absence of a link, how about a hint?

If this is the case, what was the aunt doing at school during the lunch break? Was she supposed to be a volunteer lunch break supervisor or something?

Interesting that, in the same week, we see a Buriram school security guard fend off armed attackers and a Suphanburi schoolkid get beaten so bad he has to be hospitalised for 6 weeks. I wonder if the Suphanburi school has security?

And, as Noistar mentioned above, the principal is indeed conspicuous by his absence.

How do children learn and witness about violence apart from movies and games?

1. Their teachers who beat the crap out of them from an early age on. There never has been an abolishment of violence performed by teachers, at least not in Thai schools and kindergartens, and as a former interim English teacher, I witnessed it with my own eyes...

2. The role models: red bull driver or Mu-Ham, the young crook who JUST has mental problems...

3. Videos published on YouTube show politicians and other high so Thai-Chinese who abuse their powers, by slam-smacking airport checkers' ears, kicking ladies' all over the place because they can't get through the one way lane first. And there was a YouTube video which has shown people beating the crap out of each other in parliament.

Now why do children become violent...

.... because society has been brainwashed to believe that status is talen for granted and children will obediently learn what is taught in a so called education system....

One article I read on this said the younger of the two who beat up this child was egged on by his aunt.

In thailand is aunt could be 1yr younger.

True.

Model learning. It doesn't matter what/who the models are.

Where exactly in Buriram did that happen?

Not sure. From the article, "in downtown Buri Ram's Muang district".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625321-one-killed-in-buriram-school-attack/