Thai Yellow Shirt Airport Protesters To Face Trial

Lite Beer

Thai 'Yellow Shirt' airport protesters to face trial

BANGKOK, March 14, 2013 (AFP) - Dozens of Thai royalist activists will face trial for their roles in protests which paralysed the kingdom's main airports in 2008 and stranded thousands of tourists, the group's lawyer said Thursday.

Thirty-one of the 114 "Yellow Shirt" protesters charged with occupying Bangkok's main airports -- in a bid to topple the then government linked with their arch-enemy Thaksin Shinawatra -- will enter a plea in April.

"Most of them were charged with violating aviation laws and terrorism," Puangtip Boonsanong, a lawyer for the People's Alliance for Democracy, told AFP, adding media mogul and PAD founder Sondhi Limthongkul was among them.

The airport siege by the Yellows, who boast support from Bangkok elites and elements in the military, was their last major show of force on Bangkok's streets, which frequently play host to the nation's sharply divided politics.

Criminal investigations against the Yellows have been sluggish, prompting resentment and claims of double standards compared with the treatment of their rivals Reds -- who are allied with fugitive former premier Thaksin.

Many leaders of the mainly rural, working class Reds were swiftly locked up on terrorism charges after their street protest in the heart of Bangkok in 2010 which came to a bloody end after an army crackdown.

Yellow Shirts are still a force to be reckoned with in Thailand's colour-coded politics and have helped to claim the scalps of three governments in under five years, including that of Reds' hero Thaksin.

Having helped to facilitate Thaksin's removal in a 2006 military coup, the Yellows heaped pressure on the Thaksin-allied government in 2008 by first blocking Don Mueang airport on the northern outskirts of Bangkok in late November before moving to occupy the larger Suvarnabhumi Airport for a week.

The Yellow Shirts abandoned the blockade after a decision by Thailand's Constitutional Court resulted in the dismissal of then prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, from office.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-03-14

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 PAD leaders indicted over 2008 protest
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thirty-one core members of the People's Alliance for Democracy, including co-founders Sonthi Limthongkul and Chamlong Srimuang, were yesterday officially indicted for besieging Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports during the protest against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in 2008.

Another 83 people who are either PAD members or security guards who reportedly took part in the occupation of both airports and Government House during the PAD-led protests await the next round of indictments. Of the 31 members indicted yesterday, only 17 showed up at Criminal Court before they were released on bail at a Bt800,000 guarantee each.

The PAD's satellite television channel, ASTV (Thailand), which broadcast the leaders calling on people to take part in protests during the PAD-led political gatherings, was also indicted as an entity.

A hearing is set on April 29 to hear the pleas.

The indictments were filed as a combination of offences against all PAD members, either for the first 31, and 83 others, for their illegal entry into and occupations of both airports.

The 31 PAD members have been indicted for terrorism; forceful entry; criminal conspiracy in violation of emergency rule; destruction and obstruction of facilities at an airport; affecting safety; causing traffic jams at public places; disrupting communications; causing others' properties to depreciate; criminal conspiracy; obstructing officials' duties; intimidating officials on duty; intimidating others and withholding freedom.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-15

• Like 1

They should have been tried years ago and given the max penalty that way the reds might have given a second thought to their attempted rebellion.

There is something to be said for this notion. The course of things may have been dramatically different had the airport interlopers faced punishment. That they did not-- at least, not for a long while-- was something of an incitement to the other side, I think.

Absolutely

• Like 1

Well I think terrorism charges are fitting - considering that they burnt down Thailand's biggest airport and acted in a violent and aggressive manner that endangered many lives and led to needless deaths

Ever considered becoming a Red Shirt leader?

• Like 2

Just to give credit where credit is due.

I have to hand it to the PTP for this one.

Finally they are doing some thing for the good of Thailand.

It is unfortunate that they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

If they were doing it for the right reasons there would be a lot more red shirts up for indictment.

But it is a very good start. Let us hope it does not turn into you have a lot of money so it is OK.

Excellent news. Some justice hopefully for the millions affected, including myself, and the billions of Baht it cost the country.

So in Thailand occupying a building constitutes terrorism but burning it down doesn't?

Pretty much.

Big difference between the country's main international airport and a shopping mall.

Big difference between vandals/looters taking advantage of a situation with willful destruction of commercial property and the deliberate siege of an airport with a political agenda.

• Like 2

I have to agree on that trial , I was stuck in UAE during the airport closure trust me I would have preferred to be stuck in some other part of the world .... maybe I should send my hotel, restaurant bill to the Yellow shirt leader ?

any mention of the missing and damaged items from the "sit in" ?

And how about cargo? Yes, there were cargo hold ups as well. A friend of ours lost approx. US$1M due to live fish imports (yes, all legal) that ended up dying.

Well I think terrorism charges are fitting - considering that they burnt down Thailand's biggest airport and acted in a violent and aggressive manner that endangered many lives and led to needless deaths

hmm....

airport: yellow, peaceful, if I recall right 1 yellow shirt died, no fire

red protests: fire, arson, looting many needless deaths, but no airport.

I must have missed the part where they 'burnt down Thailands biggest airport' - anyone remember that happening?
  • Like 1

Leave it to the PAD loving TV usual suspects to come to their defense decry this as a...

Wait, what?

But but... I've been told over and over again this forum is a hot bed of pro-Yellow fascist! sad.png

Can't trust anyone this days.

Anyway, slap them silly with the law book for any and all their offenses. they had no right to disrupt the lives of tourist and general public like that.

like or hate the Yellows. But as I come from Austria I can guarantee that they aren't fascists.

call them nationalist, populist, right wing, left wing...whatever but fascists?

• Like 1