Mimosa - Rental Price To High?

henry2109

A few days ago I visited the new shopping complex MIMOSA - city of love -, opposite the Ambassador Hotel, in Na-Jomtien. Even though it opened in february, the construction is still going on and I assume will take some month to finish. The small parking space in the front, next to Sukhumvit Road, is overfilled all the time, but there is also parking space in the back, especially for busses.

My girlfriend is interested in renting a small shop in a good location, with a lot of frequences. As it seems, Mimosa will attract a lot of tourists, and not only the Russians coming out of the Ambassador Hotel. In the office of Mimosa, we have been told that there are only a few shops left for rent. So we got an offer for a shop of 17 m2 in the back of the area, not exactly the best location.

First, the renter has to build out the room (floor, ceiling, a/c) at his own expenses, fit all the furnitures, then pay a key money of 50'000 Baht. The monthly rent would be 41'000 Baht (incl. 3'000 Baht for water and electricity). That sounds enormous high to me. As we walked around in the complex we visited a small soap shop in a good location, maybe 6 m2. The girl there told us that she pays 30'000 Baht a month.

I wonder if these shops can really make such good revenues to make a good living. - Are the rental prices equal high in other good areas?

• Like 1

I recently visited Mimosa , passing by from Bangsarae.

If I were you I would think it over..

I could not see whats attractive there.. Food, sweets,fruit,food,drinks,sweets....

Nothing special, I finished my tour in about 20 minutes..

Look at the Village, corner Sukhumvit-Chayapruek.... total fiasco

I see the same coming for Mimosa...

I stopped at Mimosa the other day. I had an excellent mushroom dish in the food court for about 30B.

The rest of the place looked like complete and utter <deleted>. A sort of hideous 365-day Valentines celebration. sick.gif

Cant imagine why anyone would ever set foot in the place at all, apart from the food court.

I agree, it's <deleted> BUT look at the floating market down the road, also completely <deleted> but packed out all the time none the less. If not with Russians then with Thai's down from Bangkok at the weekends OR Koreans, there is bus load after bus load down there which baffles me.

I have a Thai buddy that has a shop in Rayong and keeps looking for a place in Pattaya to rent. The prices of renting shop space, a "tent" space (night market) or even on a parking lot amazes me. These rentals are totally inflated...but locals do put up the deposit and try to survive. Of course the owner of the complex or parking space for a "tent" do not care if the renter goes under since he gets to keep a year or two deposit. The space at the 3 night market on Thepaset goes for 12,000 baht a month. Can you imagine...no AC, have to put up with the rain. Shops, depending on the location, runs 20,000 or more a month plus a year? of deposit. One has to sell a lot of Tshirts and wood carvings for that.

40k is a lot...what business would she do. There were many. coconut oil etc shops, no way will they make a profit....Theme venues are very popular with Thais. The atomospher at moimosa is good and a great selection of foods at reasonably price.

If Mimosa takes off as well as the floating market has they will soon be asking key money of a million baht and rent at 50,000 + per month how do the vendors make a profit with those sorts of overheads ???????????

I agree, it's <deleted> BUT look at the floating market down the road, also completely <deleted> but packed out all the time none the less. If not with Russians then with Thai's down from Bangkok at the weekends OR Koreans, there is bus load after bus load down there which baffles me.

The success of floating market is easy to explain..

Touroperators who travel the tourists around Thailand get lots of "tea-money" to bring their tourist there...More easy then drive all the way to the more famous Damnern Saduak floating market . I operated in this business for many years... It's just a matter of businesses playing the ball to each other..

The success of floating market is easy to explain..

Touroperators who travel the tourists around Thailand get lots of "tea-money" to bring their tourist there...More easy then drive all the way to the more famous Damnern Saduak floating market . I operated in this business for many years... It's just a matter of businesses playing the ball to each other..

So then i'd imagine same tour operators will have the same deal with Mimosa although having said that not seen many buses there......yet!

I went to Mimosa a few weeks back, Mmm!

I did wonder what the price of rent would be. With the prices you have mentioned for monthly rent (41k) inclusive of (38+3k) 3k for water & electric, then 'key money'(50k) and you having to furnish it, a very expensive shop for 12 months (542K). Just to cover the cost of the rent, key money and the water & electric, you would have to take about 1500bht per day for everyday of the year. Then you have got to cover your furnishings of the shop plus the goods for selling then the staffing.

I personally would walk away.sad.png

Amassador is the second largest hotel of the world, 5,000 or so beds. If it's filled with Russians I suggest to sell a variety of vodkas, especially Russian brands, and Siamese looking Matryoshkas. 41k Baht is an opulent rent, but no trouble to sell 100 bottles of vodka every day next to a hotspot of Russians. One can rent a whole shophouse with 3 floors and some 100 sqm on the sales floor for less than 20k in good locations in Pattaya, though.