Udon Immigration - A Convenient Excuse Or A Worrying New Trend?

Remember that these boys and girls in the governmental institutions did not get any salary improvement as per 1/1/2556.

So it seems that they are grabbing it themselves.

In the South the same thing is happening. Non B visa extention : 5,000 THB, work permit : 3,000 ( under the table ) + the normal fee's 1.900 resp. 3,100)

A combination of savings and pension/income has never been allowed.

It has always been 400,000 in a Thai bank. OR 40,000 monthly income.

Never a combination of both.

So the immigration Officer was correct.

Correct, and it was also not the responsibility of the British Consul to tell him that fact either! :D

A combination of savings and pension/income has never been allowed.

It has always been 400,000 in a Thai bank. OR 40,000 monthly income.

Never a combination of both.

So the immigration Officer was correct.

Correct, and it was also not the responsibility of the British Consul to tell him that fact either! biggrin.png

No it seems the British Embassy / Consuls have little responsibility for anything anymore. Least of all provide assistance to their citizens. Civil Servants - useless to the core.

Immigration are great and wanting useless and irrelevant extra documentation, I've always suspected it was about sniffing for a donation. However my missus refuses to ever pay any of the bureaucrats 25 satang and she does always eventually get whatever pushed through. Once only I paid a connected lawyer and did he rake them over the coals at the local Amphur after they knocked back his assistant and he had to come personally, lot of waiing going down, everything approved immediately. It was well worth his fee to see them grovelling.

I have been in Thailand now for about 5 years & up to now I always got a retirement visa renewal based on embassy verified figures of income outside Thailand.

This year I decided to apply for a marriage visa based on my Australian pension income of 50,000 baht/month and provided with my Australian bank statement (again stamped by the embassy).

I was told that because it was my first marrage visa application they had to give me a 1 month extension whilst I got a "surprise" visit to my home to prove we actually lived together (and I wasn't just trying to traffic my wife).

Although I had a google map of my house location, my wife gave them her hand-drawn map (Which they could not read).

They ended up ringing us up for directions (so much for the surprise element. In the middle of the interview I decided to go & pick up my wife's 4yo grand son (who lives with us) which proved to be a good move & impressed them. The two people that visited us were very friendly and just nice people. (The lady said she usually worked at Suvannapoom Airport Immigration and they made a trip from BKK specially to make these two home visits).

The Sirin immigration office is a 300km round trip from our house (it's actually nearer to the Cambodian border) which takes 3 hours each way because of the heavy traffic.

We used to go to Korat immigration which was further away but a quicker drive) and where we could do other shopping.

We have been told that the home visit was a one-off simply because it was my first "Marriage Visa" application.

When we went back after the month extension the renewal was routine (even although there was now a new boss person (who could hardly keep himself awake in his chair).

So much for Thai Immigration, having to prove we were legit married even though my wife had the marriage certificate showing our five years of marriage.

With a Marriage extension you always get a one month stamp upon application and you will do every year as your Marriage extension has to go to BKK to be processed,where as retirement extension can be done in in one day at the local Immigration Office..Every thing that happened to you is standard practice.

Edited by boloa

well no suprise to read this.because ...this year i spend f...................ing 8 hours in the imigration office to get my dossier ready.

they also denied my photos because i was standing with my wife in front of our resort logo.....we leave there since 5 years but this year we can not show the logo.as i did not bring the tax paper of the resort i can not show the logo.(i pay all my taxes but they dont need it for my non 0 visa) so i had also to come back home the same day,make new photos ,go again to the bank because the paper was made from the day before not the same day i present all the documents at the police (last year 3 days difference was accepted)and now ...its already 12.00 noon...so go eat and come back at 1 pm.the officer take all my papers and asked me to write and sign a papers explaning wy i dont have children with my wife.(i have very good reason but i am not going to tell them )write everything in her computer ...it took edges ...she made 3 more errors counting days,my passport with different dates etc etc . paper coming and going back from one table to another .....because in thailand one is making the dossier and the rest check what the first one did previously.

like this for sure everything is ok.

as i speak always thai with them ,they also told me that my dossier is going to kao lak and that the agent there is going to make sure that everything is going to be the way the new immigration chief officer ordered to be and that everything has to be "tuk tong"(100% ok).....incredible....it is ridiculous the way they andle the immigration.they treat us really like stupid and like animals.we are only farang garbage for them and they dont make any diffrence beetween austria or australia because they dont even know where it is on a map or what language they speak .....in my opinion we have to go...all of us ..

.i will anyway ,my wife knows this and she 'll comme with me...this country doesnt deserve us neither our money !sorry for the goods

• Like 1

If you don't live and work on a farm, leave. Im sure wife can find work in Bangkok.

Never understood why you guys put up with this.

Maybe you should just make notes of all bs, keep going back - then when thete is no more time, demand 60days based on marriage. Then just keep going back. Wear them out.

Make a checklist of what you have and what is acceptable. Better yet get a bunch of guys together to do the same.

If they decline your extension, all of you go down to bkk en masse to apply for extension and they eill br like oh, you cant do that HERE. Then you show them all the evidence of them hassling you and not goving your visa. Right down reason for each rejection. I mean photos <deleted>? And that you had a packet and none were acceptable? They need to to spin better bs. Try and get noyrs on each rejection - perfect.

My hunch is a call will be made. Bureaucrats are lazy and bkk sure wont be happy about sorting out the mess. It might even look like they are fishing for money upcountry.

Seems to me either way you have three options: take what they dish out, fight it passive aggressively or fight it in bkk (just act old dumb and stupid, really polite and soft spoken).

My advice would be to move - just an endless variation on the huge hassles guys have living all over Issan.

HMMM... I do't understand the recommendation... A person usually lives with his/her family or nearby. Move from Issan - to where - that stinking hole called Bangkok..?? Sorry, I love the local friendliness and lack of bar girls and hate the nastiness in Bangkok, or Pattaya, or Phuket, or anywhere South...!!!

• Like 1

Several points need clarification.

1. If obtaining an extension on basis for relationship the other party is expected to be present - it is not a visa but an extension of stay and different rules. This is normal procedure at every immigration office AFAIK

2. The 60 day extension was specifically one time only in the previous immigration order - only in 777/2551 was that wording drooped so there is variance of policy from office to office. Not sure when this happened to you but it might help explain.

Thai Police Order 777/2551

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality: Each permission shall be granted for no more than 60 days.

(1) There must be proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

You cannot get back to back extensions but can simply make a border run for a 15 day entry and get another 60 days is what many offices are doing now.

(2) explains why wife must be with you.

60 day extension, one time only per Non Immigrant -O- visa? Per half year? Per year?

I had similar problems in Udon Thani with Extensions as a father of Thai children.

It seems the authorities try to limit the 60 days extensions they give for fathers to stay with their children.

Had last year, a -NO- in Udon for an extension after a 14 days Non Visa allowance in TH, (hop over the border to Vientiane)

Was told about that differently when I went to Vientiane - "yes you go out, you get 2 weeks, you come back, I give you 2 month for stay with child!"

But was than - "Oh sorry new Boss, new orders from BKK also!" After I came back after 2 weeks.

But a YES, could do in Khon Kaen Immigration, got the extension there later!

Just now,

got a 2 month extension in Udon Thani, after some hefty discussions after a 2 weeks Visa free stint

and a 60 days extension of a Non Immigrant -O- beforehand from Udon Thani Immi.

But they wrote me some lengthy sentence in the Passport? I cannot come to them again with the same story for? a period?

I do not understand that every Immigration office can do same "they like"! blink.png

Do still not understand the directives for Extensions of stay for taking care, visit a Thai child you have.whistling.gif

"simply make a border run for a 15 day entry and get another 60 days is what many offices are doing now."

-Ubonjoe-

above is not what they like in -Udon Thani Immigration-

I did not find out what they want, but it seems they do not want to give you 60 day extensions again, after only 14 days Visa free stays !

Not more than, twice a year, such extensions?

That is, I believe what they would prefer in the -Udon Thani Immigration-. blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I was not being specific to any immigration office. Just quoting the rules and reports on this forum.

I have even witnessed an immigration officer here in Ubon that had just read the riot act to a fellow trying to get an extension of a tourist visa and then suggesting to a gentlemen that he could make a trip to Chong Mek and get a 15 day entry that could then be extended after his first 60 day extension had run out.

It seems Udon immigration office has gone down hill from being friendly before. Maybe they moved some staff from Nong Kai to there.

• Like 1

Just back from Vientiane, non-imm O in the passport valid for 90 days. Wife came with me and even she was astounded that the embassy in Vientiane quickly scan through the documentation and approve a 90 day stay in minutes and not the hours we go through in Udon.

Back into the firing line on Monday so I'll post an up-date for those who are interested.

A visa is something different than an extension of stay.

SweatySock is the OP. He had to go to Laos to get a visa because the Udon Immigration gave him a runaround on his timely visa extension application last week (subject of the post).

SweatySock is the OP. He had to go to Laos to get a visa because the Udon Immigration gave him a runaround on his timely visa extension application last week (subject of the post).

Yes, and I'm replying to his comment that it is much easier to get a visa than an extension of stay.

Yes, and I'm replying to his comment that it is much easier to get a visa than an extension of stay.

But isn't it strange that a cursary glance at my documentation results in a 3month visa being issued yet after spending hours at Udon I am still at square one.

It's exactly the same documentation minus the photographs and bank information.

One of the posters above said he had to have his bank letter dated the same day as his application for extension. I've always got mine the day before. I understood it only had to be issued within 7 days prior to the application. Has something changed (I'm due for another extension next month)?

The day before will work at most immigration offices but you will need to do an update on bank book to show balance on date of application. Some offices will accept an ATM ticket showing balance.

And some offices who have accepted the bank letter but rejected the application for some other reason (maybe unsuitable photographs) will reject the same application the following day that now has acceptable photographs but they consider the bank letter is out of date (by an extra day). It's not a hard and fact rule, it is just another imponderable that we need to consider. Cover all bases and get the letter AND the bank book updated AND visit the ATM just before going to Immigration and get a balance print out as well.

• Like 1

With a dry mouth and slightly trembling hands I entered Udon Immigration yesterday morning at 11.00 am. We were late as we had to wait on the poo ya ban completing some paperwork but we set off at 9.00 am.

The office was very busy so I completed another 2 application forms, took a number and sat down.

We were called to the desk at 11.40 am and were asked what we wanted, "extension based on marriage" I said. The officer said, sorry, can not do now, close for lunch at 12.00, you come back 1.00 pm.

OK, grab a bite to eat and sit outside in the baking heat.

1.00 pm and we have number 1 in the queue, sit down in front of the very first officer from March 14th, she strats to examine the paperwork, page by page. In fact she examined the paperwork 14 times, I counted, there's not much else to do really.

2.30 pm examination complete, she stamps each and every page and requests I sign inside the box, lots of pages and lots of signing later, the information is now entered into a data-base. Now this is a new one for me and may well be good news for the future.

4.00 pm she's done. Now time to pay the money, exact money handed over and receipt received.

I'm almost there, we're at the vinegar strokes. Various stamps are considered and a few are selected, gone on stamp it!!!!

Stamp in the ink, stamp in the passport. First one complete, the file number.

Second stamp, the one that says "application of stay is under consideration", stamp in the ink, stamp in the passport, I'm almost orgasmic at this point.

Pull out the pen, sign the second stamp, one more to go then freedom, the last stamp, the date I have to return and collect my permission to stay, it's in her hand, she dabs it into the ink and then pauses.....................

It's that Tom Hanks moment in Apollo 13.............."Houston we have a problem"......................

A hasty gathering of Immigration officers, a confab, lots of mumbles and everyone has a look at the passport..............

Back she comes, sorry can not approve application. Why I ask, almost in tears, you have a 90 day non Imm O, not finish until June she says. Then she follows with, why you not have 30 day O visa, then no problem.

I slowly pull a small square of paper from my files, it says.......Non Imm O 90 day, Udon 25 March. It was the note she gave me on March 15th, hand written by her.

You could have heard a pin drop. Chief officer comes over, sheepish smile, hands me back my 1,900 baht. No problem we keep all the paperwork, you come back in May with new bank letter that's all, he says.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry but the word "incompetent" kept flashing into my brain.

And the really good news, I get to do it all again in a couple of months WooooHooooo!!!!!

But back to my original post, was there a concerted attempt by Udon Immigration to reduce the number of foreigners in the region? Well I think I can safely answer no, I saw many requests both retirement and tourist processed yesterday, think I went on a bad day the first time.

What the hell, just another day in paradise I suppose.

• Like 1

Back she comes, sorry can not approve application. Why I ask, almost in tears, you have a 90 day non Imm O, not finish until June she says. Then she follows with, why you not have 30 day O visa, then no problem.

I'm unable to parse this. What exactly is her reason? I think she's saying you're on the wrong kind of visa...?

whistling.gif Look this is not unknown.

Sorry, but your just going to have to live through it.

New boss takes over.

New boss wants to show staff he is in charge.

He establishes new "rules" and procedures. Makes him look "strong and dominent" to his/her subordinates by enforcing his/her authority.

When a new male Lion in the pride takes over, and the old dominent Lion is ousted, the new male will kill all the young male cubs.

They are potential threats to his authority.

Although they like to deny it, human beings are the same animals .... we live in a social Pride like lions with a pecking order of dominence.

We have the same instincts.

rolleyes.gif

I'm unable to parse this. What exactly is her reason? I think she's saying you're on the wrong kind of visa...?

No she said that my Non Imm O still has almost 3 months of validity, I only got it last week. They can only process visas which are in their last month of validity.

Ah, I see. Seems like something they should have noticed within the first three minutes of reviewing your paperwork.

Especially since 'she who overlooked this' had hand-written the instruction to the OP to get a 90-day visa... I guess we do all look just the same to them.

I hope to [insert deity of choice here] that when the OP hits them up come May, that they do still have his paperwork on file. When I filed my extension in January, they used the recycled paperwork from prior (or non-approved) applications for stapling the family photographs onto. I could see scans of tibian bahns, passports and all sorts of stuff on the other side. Maybe the OP would be well advised to drop by at the +30-day and counting mark and ask them to find his file first!

• Like 1

But Immigration can issue the 90 day visa if on a tourist or visa exempt entry so that could have been the meaning - return on that date to apply for conversion. Not many offices offer this for marriage however (most send you to Bangkok).

I dropped by Udon Immigration yesterday morning to get a re-entry permit. Arrived at 10:20 and the new assistants gave me the TM8 form that I filled in before they glued my picture on and I too a seat with yellow card #29. It was quite busy and the lady that usually does the marriage extensions was serving a customer but already had the 'Close' sign on her desk. More people came in and by 10:45, there was people waiting outside having signed in, got a card and no seats free.

I did notice that at least 4 names and associated photographs of the staff had been removed from the notice board on the end (just the bit of double-sided tape left) so assumed that indeed, there are new faces in place.

Anyway, around 11:00, one of the girls that used to work reception a few months ago started asking for card numbers and nobody answered until my 29 was called so she took my passport and paperwork and started the '10 stamp' shuffle; 10 stamps each on the application and in the passport. She then wrote a receipt and I gave her the money and she went to the new boss's desk (never seen him before) and after a few minutes, returned with it all paid, signed and issued. I left at 11:15.

The 90-day reporting desk has been moved from left side (beyond reception) to the opposite end and the happy guy that I had seen working that desk before was no longer about. They also added more tables and chairs in reception area. Sure sign of change in management with old faces missing or doing new jobs AND the rearranged furniture!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626207-udon-immigration-a-convenient-excuse-or-a-worrying-new-trend/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626207-udon-immigration-a-convenient-excuse-or-a-worrying-new-trend/page-2#entry6214754

As I posted before, UDON THANI Immigration makes a lot of fuss about 60 day extensions for visiting - staying - taking care, your Thai child,

try to limit the given extensions, do not want to give them immediately after 2 weeks Visa Exemption stays.sad.png

Order from Boss or from Bangkok as I was told once last year.

For two times, last time now, some days ago, the Khon Kaen Immigration does not care about such a restriction.

Got my 60 days extension without a problem. thumbsup.gif

Have children in Udon Thani and Chayaphum Provinces, so I show up at both Immigration offices.