What Dash Cam To Buy And Where

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The previous 500 series are on sale now because of this new model also if you don't care for the power box, it's additional $50 dollars off. So the bare 500 (no WiFi or GPS) is $250 now and the one with WiFi and GPS is 300

I thought that the Blackvue DR500 does have Wifi and GPS? xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

I bought a model called Carcam from Ebay about 8 months ago for around a 1000 baht delivered, but it died a few days ago. It powers on but there is no picture to be seen, and nothing I've tried will revive it. I will say it did have an excellent sharp image whilst it lasted, but I guess can't expect much for $30.

Has it got a reset button?

Try a new/different memory card.

Worked with me when the picture started disappearing.

smile.png

No reset button. Even if I remove the SD card I should still be able to access the Menu, but I can't. The screen lights up, but it's blank.

The previous 500 series are on sale now because of this new model also if you don't care for the power box, it's additional $50 dollars off. So the bare 500 (no WiFi or GPS) is $250 now and the one with WiFi and GPS is 300

I thought that the Blackvue DR500 does have Wifi and GPS? xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

there are a few 500 models apparently, 500 GW is with GPS and Wifi, just a 500 got nothing on it.

I just cant see what use they are if one has The Finest Insurance. thumbsup.gif Apart from Showboating on You Tube.w00t.gif

attachicon.gifaccident.JPG

Without one, this accident would have cost me a lot of money!!!

The Camera saved me and the car in front of any blame!

No it did NOT.!!.IMO , Fine Insurance did, unless you had none . You cant beat the Thai System. Pray tell how it did,many of us would like a Precise Reply.

I just cant see what use they are if one has The Finest Insurance. thumbsup.gif Apart from Showboating on You Tube.w00t.gif

attachicon.gifaccident.JPG

Without one, this accident would have cost me a lot of money!!!

The Camera saved me and the car in front of any blame!

No it did NOT.!!.IMO , Fine Insurance did, unless you had none . You cant beat the Thai System. Pray tell how it did,many of us would like a Precise Reply.

Truck Vs Car (Trucks Fault)

Car Vs Motorbike (Cars Fault)

Motorbike Vs Pedestrian (Motorbikes Fault)

Farang Vs Thai (Farangs's fault)

Insurance does not protect you from Charges of "Driving Dangerously", "Causing Death by Dangerous driving"....... Despite what you think your Magic insurance covers.

This is how Police Extort Money..

And incidentally, My Lawyer ripped up the statement that was agreed with my 5 Star Insurance reps because they were being subservient to the police.

edit: They will of course pay your bail money preventing you from being locked up there and then.

Edited by Satcommlee

Pray tell how it did,many of us would like a Precise Reply.

• Police arrive on scene Smiling when they see me "$$$$"
  • Occupants of First car have no insurance, not even compulsory insurance.
  • Occupants of first car told by officers... "Don't worry there's a Farang involved"
  • I am taken to the police station charged with "Contributing to a death by careless driving" according to news reports.
  • Press are shown Dashboard Cam footage on my laptop.
  • It makes National News.
  • I refuse to sign any documents in the police station, despite the 5 star insurance saying it's OK.
  • Return with Lawyer next day, who rips up the prepared statement and tells me it was no good.
  • A new statement is produced, family of the deceased told there is no chance of getting money out of me due to the news coverage and video evidence.

Now with no Dash Cam...

• Police arrive on scene smiling when they see me "$$$$"
  • Everybody speaks Thai and I don't understand
  • Suddenly Somchai the noodle seller makes a false statement that I was driving too close to car in front at high speed.
  • The First car agree's cos he got no bail money and there no evidence of what happens hence classic "Car Vs Bike" scenario. He adds for good measure "I couldn't concentrate because I watching this idiot farang in my mirror, he was too close"
  • Then insurance arrive waiíng to and agreeing with everything police say, I am going to be charged with "causing death by dangerous driving"
  • Police choose a figure between 500'000 and 1'000'000 Baht to make it all go away
  • I pay or risk up to 10 year sentence.
Edited by Satcommlee

I have the BlackVue DR500-GW installed in my car. My Wife has the BlackVue DR400G-HDII.

See my comments on it in Post Number 60 of this thread... Both cams have been excellent, they are tucked away and discrete and basically can be forgotten about until needed.

In reference to Ace Of Pops comments (post 76 and 85)... I disagree which is why cams in two cars.

This is additional protection that I hope my Wife and I will never need. I'm not one of those who believe the foreigner is always blamed, I've witnessed otherwise. However, should an unavoidable and serious event unfold the cam should provide sufficient proof not to have to worry. I would have a dash-cam in the UK these days too. I don't consider this being over paranoid, just common sense and suspect its only a matter of time before production cars have them inbuilt.

My main concern is with motorcycles - having driven in Thailand for 15 years I haven't hit a bike yet, lots of very very near misses. The cam would show any authorities of my innocence should a motorbike collide with me and the rider becomes injured or worse and there are compensation claims.

In summary: Now that dash-cams have matured into something, compact, convenient and readily usable there is little reason other than cost not to get one.

No Deal, you dont know Thai Ways. but if you like em,use em.thumbsup.gif

Might you be suggesting that the Thai Way will outweigh the existence of absolute and unequivocal proof a dash-cam may provide in the event of an accident which may otherwise result in an extortion or excessive compensation claim ?

Before camera phones were around I used to keep a Digital Camera in my car. This encouraged the Police not to proportion 100% of the blame to me when I had an accident many years ago. The BiB may not have proportioned 100% blame my way anyway, I offered plenty of polite but firm resistance and refused to yield. The other driver was certainly saying it was 100% my fault, but with each change of his story I could counter with photographic proof of how or why he was lying. A dash-cam at the time would have been excellent.

Certainly in this case the 'Thai Way' which may have been to solve the issue based on statements provided (which were lies on the part of the other party) was not followed.

The Thai Way is a constantly changing, much the same as anyone else way. The Thai way is a complete and Total Myth - people may have their own individual way, but to suggest that a whole nation has a 'way' which cannot and will not be altered by absolute proof or technology is daft...

..... If that is what you mean by someone not knowing the 'Thai Way'....

I mean they will do and get exactly what suits them, Camera or No Camera, just go with the Flow. Enjoy the Feedom here.Just Pay em Off.biggrin.png

Agreed... It will suit them perfectly to side with you when you can show absolute proof from a dash cam (if you're not at fault)...

As to 'paying em off' - thats completely unnecessary and only those without sufficient evidence, back up or those at fault would need to do so.

Yes, enjoy the freedom of Thailand - its far more enjoyable when you are better protected from the pitfalls....

• 2 weeks later...

It may have already been said, but don't forget that there are DashCam apps available for certain smart phones and tablets

Useful as a backup... however, you can almost guarantee that the time you have an accident is the time you didn't dock the phone on your dashboard and turn on the smart phone dash cam app...

The great thing about the Dash-cam (model I have anyway) is that I can completely forget its there, yet its functioning all the time, nestled behind the rear-view mirror, neither my passengers nor I can see the cam easily - its completely non-intrusive.

Other benefits / features:

- It turns on with the ignition.

- Turns off 1 min after ignition goes off (if wired correctly can also be used for parking mode).

- It records on a constant loop, thus never fills up the memory.

- It records locked files which cannot be overwritten if G-settings are exceed.

- It has 120 degree field of vision.

- It records in HD with GPS and Sound.

- It has good light sensitivity and works well at night.

- Recorded files can be access easily through a smart-phone via wifi.

Ok guys, I bought the LS400W camera from the Thai man.

A very nice guy, same age as me, and speaks good English.

He will be the official DOD dealer Thailand soon. So he can get everything very cheap.

Even lower than every webshop I found no matter which currency! It's only 3,999 THB

So if you want to make use of this deal, simply email him at [email protected]

You can write him in English (and tell him you saw a message from Hans online and he bought for also 3999 Baht,

because I told him I have some friends who may also want to buy it, and would like to do for same price. Instead of suddenly increasing the price)

Some info:

Brand: DOD

Model: LS400W

Specs: http://www.dod-tec.com/images/downloads/Catalog/LS400W.pdf

Manual: Yes

GPS: No

Dualcam: No

Daytime: perfect and sharp +++++!

Nightime: haven't seen any dashcam performing better for whatever price ++++!

MicroSDHC: not included

Price: 3,999 Baht

Prices elsewhere: $145-$225, with and without shipping, takes 14-31 days, possible tax.

Manufactured: Taiwan

Pic of the box:

I will now unpack it, and later today drive around Bangkok, including at night.

Anyone now some dark soi's I can drive at ? Preferable after 11pm, so traffic wont be that bad lol.

Ok that's it for now. Hope I have a good deal for you guys and at the same time helping him out as well :-)

No, I do not get commission or whatever, just sharing with you.

Hans

EDIT: sorry for poor iphone pic quality lol

Got the same camera today and she is amazing...Great guy!!! came all the way to my apt'...highly recommend folks

Have emailed the guy twice with no response, so maybe he's out of business?

It may have already been said, but don't forget that there are DashCam apps available for certain smart phones and tablets

Useful as a backup...  however, you can almost guarantee that the time you have an accident is the time you didn't dock the phone on your dashboard and turn on the smart phone dash cam app...

The great thing about the Dash-cam (model I have anyway) is that I can completely forget its there, yet its functioning all the time, nestled behind the rear-view mirror, neither my passengers nor I can see the cam easily - its completely non-intrusive. 

- Turns off 1 min after ignition goes off (if wired correctly can also be used for parking mode).

Not in my case, I'm OCD when it comes to processes like that.

The Android app I have has the same features as well. Just curious as to what Dash Cam you have? I just sizing up a few things before I purchase anymore cameras. :)

Useful as a backup... however, you can almost guarantee that the time you have an accident is the time you didn't dock the phone on your dashboard and turn on the smart phone dash cam app...

Not in my case, I'm OCD when it comes to processes like that.

The Android app I have has the same features as well. Just curious as to what Dash Cam you have? I just sizing up a few things before I purchase anymore cameras. smile.png

Copy and paste from post 60 of this thread: On that post I also have a picture of the installation / location of the Cam behind the rear view mirror.

I have the BlackVue DR500 -GW (7990 baht from Monzy Shop.com) - I did plenty of research, IMO its the best one out there for a number of reasons, mostly quality and size (its completely inconspicuous).

I'm really happy with it.

Wifi function connects directly to my Phone, I can view the real time display or the saved files or change the setting on the cam directly from my phone.

Files record on a loop to the SD card in 1-3 minute packets (depending on setup).

G-Setting are established in set-up (up-down/sideways/forwards-backwards) and when the G-settings are exceed the 1-3 minute recorded packet is locked so that it can't be over written until cleared when the SD card is plugged into a computer.

The Cam records in 1080 HD at 30 fps with a 120 degree field of view. The cam has GPS (which can be turned off) and records sound (which can also be turned off).

The cam sits cleanly behind the rear-view mirror (I can't see it while driving), power cables are run though the upholstery to the centre arm-rest console 12v outlet and can't be seen.

Then cam also has a park mode when wired directly to the batter (with a battery saver device) which I have not installed.

The cam sits cleanly behind the rear-view mirror (I can't see it while driving), power cables are run though the upholstery to the centre arm-rest console 12v outlet and can't be seen.

Did you install it or did you have to get someone to do it as presume through the roof liner and then down one of the front pillars?

Sounds a bitch to do ;-)

Did you install it or did you have to get someone to do it as presume through the roof liner and then down one of the front pillars?

Sounds a bitch to do ;-)

I installed the Cam's myself in both my car and my Wife's... It really is extremely simple.

It was very easy to run the cables up inside the upholstery / roof liner from the rear-view mirror, along the top of the passenger door, down the central ( B ) pillar to the floor, under the under seat matting and into the central console (arm rest / storage) where the 12v plug plugs straight into the standard 12v outlet.

IF I wanted to use the cam in parking mode a more difficult installation is required.

(Parking mode is a mode which keeps the cam on while the car is locked and the ignition is off but records a file whenever movement is picked up on the sensors).

For 'Parking Mode' installation a 'Power-Magic' / Batter Protection device needs to be installed.

(The Battery Prevention device prevents drain on the battery and works by monitoring voltage. If the voltage drops below a pre-set level the it cuts power to the cam, which turns off and prevents your battery from being drained).

For parking mode installation the Power-Magic (Battery protection device) needs to be hard-wired either directly to the battery or to the fuse box (best option depends on your car and electrics - some are different, but there is information on the net).

Hardwiring can be done yourself, but if you are unsure (like I am) its better left to a professional.

Caveat: hardwiring may void your electrics warranty which is why I simply use the 12v plug and don't worry about parking mode.

Edited by richard_smith237

Did a little research on these yesterday, and while the Blackvue's get reasonable reviews, at $255 in a segment that typically sells for $25-$100, they'd better be stellar ;)

http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/

I've ordered the K6000 ($24) and the LS300w ($64) - will se how they go - at that price if they suck , they can always become toys for my 3yo nephews :)

Did a little research on these yesterday, and while the Blackvue's get reasonable reviews, at $255 in a segment that typically sells for $25-$100, they'd better be stellar wink.png

I've ordered the K6000 ($24) and the LS300w ($64) - will se how they go - at that price if they suck , they can always become toys for my 3yo nephews smile.png

Where did you buy a LS300 for $64? I assume you are talking about the DOD LS300? I haven't seen those any cheaper that $140. It appears the LS300 you have bought is a "no name" brand made in China, not the same as the model shown in the dash cam reviews.

Edited by giddyup

Did a little research on these yesterday, and while the Blackvue's get reasonable reviews, at $255 in a segment that typically sells for $25-$100, they'd better be stellar wink.png

I've ordered the K6000 ($24) and the LS300w ($64) - will se how they go - at that price if they suck , they can always become toys for my 3yo nephews smile.png

Where did you buy a LS300 for $64? I assume you are talking about the DOD LS300? I haven't seen those any cheaper that $140. It appears the LS300 you have bought is a "no name" brand made in China, not the same as the model shown in the dash cam reviews.

Bought from ebay - just search for ls300w... there's plenty of them. Yes, they might turn out to be the gt300w (oem version) but I'm not paying more than double the price for something with the same electronics wink.png

Edit: difference between these and the DOD are the CMOS sensor used - the DOD sensor does 30fps @ 1080P, the cheap version sensor is able to do 60fps @ 1080P (not realized in the rest of the design though) ;)

Edited by IMHO

Bought from ebay - just search for ls300w... there's plenty of them. Yes, they might turn out to be the gt300w (oem version) but I'm not paying more than double the price for something with the same electronics wink.png

There might be a bit more to it than the same electronics. Are the lenses the same, is there the same quality control as the DOD version. If the one you bought was road tested along with the DOD and given the same thumbs up I'd buy it, but it wasn't. I might also add if you bought the genuine DOD from Lazada (4500 baht) and it failed anytime up to 3 months you will get a refund.

Edited by giddyup

There might be a bit more to it than the same electronics. Are the lenses the same, is there the same quality control as the DOD version. If the one you bought was road tested along with the DOD and given the same thumbs up I'd buy it, but it wasn't. I might also add if you bought the genuine DOD from Lazada (4500 baht) and it failed anytime up to 3 months you will get a refund.

Why would you pay 2x and more to buy Chinese electronics from a farang (lazada)?

I will make some videos of them both so you guys can all see before you risk your money smile.png

If it's clearly not as good as the DOD one, I'll just launch a buyer dispute anyway :P

Edited by IMHO

I don't believe it!! After a lot of research, I decided I was going to invest in the new Blackvue 550 model. Just phoned Monzy to order one and they said that they have had to stop selling them because of the firmware from Korea doesn't cover GPS in Thailand anymore?

Think this is only happened recently because they are still for sale on the Monzy website and they said they're in the process of updated it.

Does that mean for those that have one already that the GPS has stopped working?

Sent from my Spectrum ZX81

I don't believe it!! After a lot of research, I decided I was going to invest in the new Blackvue 550 model. Just phoned Monzy to order one and they said that they have had to stop selling them because of the firmware from Korea doesn't cover GPS in Thailand anymore?

Think this is only happened recently because they are still for sale on the Monzy website and they said they're in the process of updated it.

Does that mean for those that have one already that the GPS has stopped working?

Sent from my Spectrum ZX81

Well that sucks !!...

However, My GR500GW HD is working fine with GPS... But I haven't updated any firm-wear since March.

If the Cam has GPS, its the software on the computer that might be the issue... not sure though.