Please Help Me, But Don't Expect A Thanks

jbrain

I have had it in me to write this for quite some time but always held back, untill I saw one of them who my rant is addressed at, opening a new thread 2 days ago.

There are a few members on this forum, it are always the same ones, who are famous to pop in opening a thread what, where, how to find this.

The OP will also be their last appearance in that thread.

Since this is quite informative forum with some long time members who have some knowledge of Pattaya and surroundings, they normally get quite a few results to their help requests.

Yet it is too much of an effort for them to return to their own thread and just mutter a simple " thanks for the help guys".

The very next time they will be visible on this forum is when they open a new " I need help " thread.

What are your thoughts about this practice ? Should we name them on here and expose them for what they are and simply refuse them to receive any help again ?

Don't they have any ethics in their miserable life ?

Rant over//

Edited by jbrain

When I try to be helpful, I do it with no expectation of any kind, but if someone does take the time to say thanks, that's nice but by no means necessary. It's an anonymous forum thus many people dispense with niceties and manners.

You have generational differences as well. I think netiquette as practised by say an under 30 would be different from an older poster of say over 60.

• Like 2

When I try to be helpful, I do it with no expectation of any kind, but if someone does take the time to say thanks, that's nice but by no means necessary. It's an anonymous forum thus many people dispense with niceties and manners. You have generational differences as well. I think netiquette as practised by say an under 30 would be different from an older poster of say over 60.

I think it doesn't have anything to do with netiquette or age, it is more an issue of selfishness in my opinion. I have seen threads that got more than 3 pages of useful info to the OP's request yet it was too much for him to return to his thead once. However he has opened several help requests before and since with always the same attitude.

What also marks those posters is that will never appear in another thread to offer help to other posters. This forum is considerd to them as their personal database.

As another posters said already, a simple word of thanks goes a long way.

• Like 1

I have seen threads that got more than 3 pages of useful info to the OP's request yet it was too much for him to return to his thead once.

this calls for names!

I would be pleased to put their names here, Luckily it are only a few and are far outnumbered by members who are helpful and grateful to help they may recieve from this forum, but I prefer to hear from the Mods first if it is allowed to name them.

I always think that I maybe replying to one person, but that the answer will be read by many, some of whom may find it useful.

I suppose it could be thought of as a form of social service. If our experiences can help make even one persons life a little easier, then maybe that is already reward enough.

• Like 2

It's the character of the posters on this forum. Most just ain't quite normal. smile.png Seems to correlate w/ an interest in Thailand. Many members seem uneducated working class types.

I don't care about the thanks particularly (would be nice) but I'm often curious about the outcome of the situation--which we don't get either. Maybe it was a troll to begin with.

Fortunately we also have some great members who have it all together and are worth your attention. Spend some time here and you learn who they are. With them you'll get good feedback and appreciation as warranted. (Some, like Moby, finally get discouraged from posting often.) They earn respect; the others like gnats buzzing around. In fact they're good for a laugh, but if I laugh too loudly I get admonished for flaming--which wasn't my intention!

Contrast w/ other international,civilized, urbane forums such as badgerandblade.com or askandyaboutclothes.com. No comparison.

Edited by JSixpack

It's the character of the posters on this forum. Most just ain't quite normal. smile.png Seems to correlate w/ an interest in Thailand. Many members seem uneducated working class types.

I don't care about the thanks particularly (would be nice) but I'm often curious about the outcome of the situation--which we don't get either. Maybe it was a troll to begin with.

Fortunately we also have some great members who have it all together and are worth your attention. Spend some time here and you learn who they are. With them you'll get good feedback and appreciation as warranted. (Some, like Moby, finally get discouraged from posting often.) They earn respect; the others like gnats buzzing around. In fact they're good for a laugh, but if I laugh too loudly I get admonished for flaming--which wasn't my intention!

Contrast w/ other international,civilized, urbane forums such as badgerandblade.com or askandyaboutclothes.com. No comparison.

Maybe I worded the thread title a bit erroneous , but I also aren't looking for a personal word of thanks.

It is as you say, if the OP should just add the outcome of his request would already be nice. It at least shows that you're interested in the replies and don't just consider your fellow members as your servants.

Edit : My problem is also not with people who open such a thread on ocassion, but merely the members who have opened as much threads as they have posts.

Edited by jbrain

Should we name them on here and expose them for what they are and simply refuse them to receive any help again?

To answer first poster question: no. Keep in mind many people benefit from the questions that get answered on such threads, even far into the future when searching for various things. And they don't, nor should, often cannot (old thread) post "thank you" as well.

Please let's keep the information free flowing and all agree to be a bit more politie; however, I also don't want to find a bunch of thank you's cluttering the place when I am trying to skim for needed information.

When I try to be helpful, I do it with no expectation of any kind, but if someone does take the time to say thanks, that's nice but by no means necessary. It's an anonymous forum thus many people dispense with niceties and manners. You have generational differences as well. I think netiquette as practised by say an under 30 would be different from an older poster of say over 60.

I think it doesn't have anything to do with netiquette or age, it is more an issue of selfishness in my opinion. I have seen threads that got more than 3 pages of useful info to the OP's request yet it was too much for him to return to his thead once. However he has opened several help requests before and since with always the same attitude.

What also marks those posters is that will never appear in another thread to offer help to other posters. This forum is considerd to them as their personal database.

I agree. Saying or typing a "thank you" is universal. No age group or ethnicity is excused.

• Like 1

Should we name them on here and expose them for what they are and simply refuse them to receive any help again?

To answer first poster question: no. Keep in mind many people benefit from the questions that get answered on such threads, even far into the future when searching for various things. And they don't, nor should, often cannot (old thread) post "thank you" as well.

Please let's keep the information free flowing and all agree to be a bit more politie; however, I also don't want to find a bunch of thank you's cluttering the place when I am trying to skim for needed information.

The point is not about everyone who logs into the thread to post a Thank you, indeed that only makes the thread less attractive to read and thank you posts are actually banned on many forums, but it wouldn't be more then a sign of respect if the OP would give a follow up on the answers he received.

By the way the " like" button is a replacement for the thank you posts and don't clogg up a topic, but the posters I'm talking about don't even care to give a like to a useful response.

• Like 1

Get you w00t.gif

But it backs up the OP......when I provide information to some members in the 'news' forum regarding their intellectual standing, as pointed out by J above.......never a word of thanks...ohmy.png

Get you w00t.gif

But it backs up the OP......when I provide information to some members in the 'news' forum regarding their intellectual standing, as pointed out by J above.......never a word of thanks...ohmy.png

Giving is all about learning to give unconditionally, and this is a very important step, as it teaches us to recognize that everything comes from God and everything goes to God. wai.gif

I object strongly to the inference of working class types who are ignorant and have no manners. I was brought up in a working class environment and we were taught to say please and thank you.

What? Is it only those upper class twits who have manners? B*llocks ... thank you.

There are always exceptions, of course.

:)

Get you w00t.gif

Giving is all about learning to give unconditionally, and this is a very important step, as it teaches us to recognize that everything comes from God and everything goes to God. wai.gif

But I'm sure god doesn't mind if one improves on the initial package provided, as with everything politeness indeed can be a topic of learning or not as the case maybe.

I agree. Saying or typing a "thank you" is universal. No age group or ethnicity is excused.

I will give you guys an example of how etiquette changes over time and how different generations get annoyed at different things. 20 years ago it was rude to answer your mobile phone whilst in polite company. Fast forward to today, some think it's rude but more think it's acceptable with a mere "excuse me, I've gotta take this important call". My father would get annoyed, I am a little more tolerant but many younger people will just think it's normal behaviour.

you really think gen x, y and beyond really care if old geezers get worked up because they forgot to mind their Ps and Qs on an anonymous public forum? Did you care when your grandad was annoyed at your 1960s behaviour?

Call it selfish or rude or whatever labels your grandad applied to you when you were acting up as a young one, contrary to his etiquette requirements, but the point is you are now applying your standards which may not be as universal as you think anymore.

Edited by doggie888888
  • Like 1

I will give you guys an example of how etiquette changes over time and how different generations get annoyed at different things. 20 years ago it was rude to answer your mobile phone whilst in polite company. Fast forward to today, some think it's rude but more think it's acceptable with a mere "excuse me, I've gotta take this important call". My father would get annoyed, I am a little more tolerant but many younger people will just think it's normal behaviour.

you really think gen x, y and beyond really care if old geezers get worked up because they forgot to mind their Ps and Qs on an anonymous public forum? Did you care when your grandad was annoyed at your 1960s behaviour?

Call it selfish or rude or whatever labels your grandad applied to you when you were acting up as a young one, contrary to his etiquette requirements, but the point is you are now applying your standards which may not be as universal as you think anymore.

Well, the new standards as you call it apparently (or luckily) are not universal yet.

The behavior as mentioned by the OP is an exception, and basically always the same very few members...