T H A I Aircraft Tyre Bursts While Landing At Suvarnabhumi Airport Arriving From India

webfact

THAI aircraft tyre bursts at Suvarnabhumi, no casualties reported
By Digital Media

13634076894879.jpg

BANGKOK, March 16 - A landing gear tyre of a Thai Airways International plane arriving from India burst this morning as it was landing at Bangkok's international airport, though all 287 passengers were reportedly safe.

The accident occurred around 6.20am with the Airbus A-330 flight TG341 from Kolkata to Bangkok. The plane, however, landed at Suvarnabhumi International Airport safely with no casualties.

The THAI staff rushed to repair the front tyre of the aircraft which was parked on the airport runway before relocating it for further investigation and maintenance.

An initial investigation found no irregularities and the plane is ready to resume service. No passengers or crew were reported injured from the accident. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-16

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably due to a heavy landing, (nose first), hope the checked they checked the nose gear before putting back into service.

Best ones are when they leave the parking break on for landing, thats 10 tyers to change and a big laundry bill for a full flight.

Edited by Basil B

Airbus is a leading aircraft manufacturer.

But as luck would have it, this Airbus has Thai Airways attached to it.whistling.gif

But Airbus does not make the tyres and as Rubi pointed out and not just to Thai or Airbus or only in Thailand.

• Like 1

But as luck would have it, this Airbus has Thai Airways attached to it.whistling.gif

But Airbus does not make the tyres and as Rubi pointed out and not just to Thai or Airbus or only in Thailand.

But thats boringcoffee1.gif

• Like 2

There had been two x Thai A340's parked at Don Mueang airport for three weeks now, both with all the eight engines covered in red protection caps. They must be losing money with them out of service! Wonder what's up with them?

There had been two x Thai A340's parked at Don Mueang airport for three weeks now, both with all the eight engines covered in red protection caps. They must be losing money with them out of service! Wonder what's up with them?

Having the Hello Kitty registration surrounds and LED running lights fitted.

• Like 1

They're for sale and its cheaper to park them at DMK. With the retrofitted 744s coming on line they are being disposed of.

A few years ago THAI already admitted that the choice of A340 for the route forseen was a wrong one. Nice plane but with FOUR engines a bit expensive and very long distance has it carrying a lot of fuel as well. Unless you manage to get 90+ percent load factor with good paying passengers, it's difficult to make money on them. I think THAI is trying to sell the planes, but not much market demand.

BTW this plane is one of the lesser successes of Airbus. It's production has stopped as far as I know.

Those clunkers are probably for sale.

Happens all the time, mostly no real problem. Mind you, Airport maintenance personel has to check the runway and also clear it from any possible debris.

Agreed. Going from static state to 150 RPM in a fraction of a second as the weight of the airplane arrives followed quickly by the torsion from the brakes would be tough on anyone! Tires do fail even on good landings.

Think those are the non-stop LAX planes..cancelled the route and trying to sell the planes, but nobody wants them. They are very specific in terms of what routes they can serve and their internals where done up all business class.

use the tires past their wear out point.

Helps the company show a profit.

And you know this how?? Are you accusing them of something? If so you better have information to back it up...

Edited by firestar

Here are some of the aviation "incidents" that occurred recently. You can follow new incidents daily on avherald.com (scary to think how many incidents do occur, daily, worldwide Friday Mar 15th 2013 incident.gifLufthansa A321 near Frankfurt on Dec 14th 2012, smoke in cabin and cockpit incident.gifCondor A320 near Stuttgart on Dec 9th 2012, smoke on board incident.gifAir Berlin A332 at Phuket on Dec 20th 2012, uncontained engine failure and fire incident.gifLufthansa A321 near Prague on Mar 14th 2013, odour in cabin incident.gifHorizon DH8D near San Jose on Mar 5th 2013, persistent engine fire indication In the Phuket incident with Air Berlin, 3 tires burst on an overweight landing.

Edited by blazes
  • Like 1

But as luck would have it, this Airbus has Thai Airways attached to it.

Guess its time for some one to return home to his superior country clap2.gif

A tire burst on a aircraft, guess that never happened before huh !

+1

• Like 1

OMG I was on this flight on the 14th! OK, nothing happened then although I almost changed my flight to the flight in question! However, TG313/TG314 especially the outbound Bangkok-Kolkata sector tends to be full of Indian traders, who check-in tons of baggage not to mention bring a heap of carry-on luggage on board the aircraft. Although not likely a factor in this tire burst (particularly upon landing when the aircraft is much lighter anyway) it is worth mentioning that flights on this route are usually heavily loaded with passengers and cargo, more so than most other flights I've been on to other destinations.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

In the article, they falsely claim that the flight number was TG341. This is wrong - TG314 is the flight number from Kolkata to Bangkok. As mentioned I was on this flight just 2 days ago, so I would know. Also, a quick check on the THAI Airways website can confirm this; don't know why such a basic detail was incorrectly mentioned by MCOT.

Think those are the non-stop LAX planes..cancelled the route and trying to sell the planes, but nobody wants them. They are very specific in terms of what routes they can serve and their internals where done up all business class.

These are two of the four A340-500 series aircraft that Thai acquired to fly the JFK and LAX direct routes. Not all business class - they were identically fitted out with economy, business and, in a first and last for Thai Airways - premium economy seating. I used the JFK service a lot in 2005/2006 as it was very convenient. From memory, premium economy seats were routinely available for around THB 75,000 and were a good alternative to business at less than half the price. Unfortunately, the economics of ultra-long haul flights are tricky - so much of the maximum gross take-off weight is devoted to fuel rather than paying passengers or cargo. With so many competitors doing one stop services to both LAX and JFK, Thai could never seem to extract the premium required to make the service viable. In my experience, load factors were always high to JFK but Thai still couldn't make money. I believe JFK direct was dropped in 2008 and LAX followed last year. The aircraft used on the JFK service were redeployed on a new direct service to Oslo - not sure if they are still flying there. Thai has been trying to sell the planes ever since but no one else seems to want to dip their toes into the ultra-long haul pond, at least not with the A340-500. Even SQ is phasing out its legendary all business class direct service to Newark later on this year.

• Like 1

I was on a Thai flight from BK to Melbourne in October 2007 and the same thing happened.We were caught in a cross wind as the plane was about to touch down and the plane was blown sideways.The tyre burst on impact and the wheel was shredded.Cabin crew disappeared and were not seen until about 1 hour later.Credit to the Pilot though, a great landing.