Samui Versus Phuket

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samui still doesn't has a bridge, Phuket does...

phuket(imho)is not a proper island,its connected to the mainland by a bridge

Doesn't have an island feel about it either

Not enough blackouts.sad.png

• Like 2

I guess it did in the past? The ambiance changes to simply a piece of the mainland which can only be got to by crossing a river. If a bridge WAS built from the mainland to Samui then no doubt it would have the same effect over time. By the time the Som Tan vendors etc. pitched their carts on either side of the bridge you wouldn't even know you are going over a body of water.

Isle of Dogs

The Isle of Dogs is a former island in the East End of London that is bounded on three sides (east, south and west) by one of the largest meanders in the River Thames. It is almost bounded to the north by the South Dock (part of the old West India Docks). This dock is separated from an inlet of the River Thames by some forty metres of infilled land. Except for this one small separation, access to the Isle of Dogs always necessitates crossing water by bridge or tunnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Dogs

London-Isle-of_Dogs_pr245.jpg

Edited by notmyself

Not enough blackouts.sad.png

biggrin.png And soon to be a feel of the past!! Mindyou you, i did suffer another 8 hrs 15 mins of no power yesterdaysick.gif

What ever Samui has, Phuket has bigger and better. I like the fact that you can actually see the beaches in Phuket instead of walking through a hotel to get to one. Also Samuii is about 25% more expensive than Phuket

Yes, in Phuket you can hear the traffic on the beach.

Plenty of sois that runs down to the beaches on Samui, no need to walking through a hotel.

In Tesco Lotus, BigC, Makro, seven,Familymart etc. the prices are the same in Phuket and Samui.

• Like 1

What ever Samui has, Phuket has bigger and better. I like the fact that you can actually see the beaches in Phuket instead of walking through a hotel to get to one. Also Samuii is about 25% more expensive than Phuket

If anyones reading this thread and has never been to either island please be aware that irishivans post is not correct be it about the access to beaches and certainly not about the cost. Having been to Phuket recently i'd say Phuket is possibly a little more expensive.

• Like 1

Samui has that certain nice tropical island feeling Phuket lost many years ago. Samui has beaches without endless beach chairs and umbrellas you even have to pay for, cozy restaurants on the beaches in the evening and no high rises. No big buses full with tour groups. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Worldwide known landmarks? What about the interior? Here lush forests with millions of palm trees, many waterfalls, fruit plantations, nature only everywhere. And where on Phuket are these pleasant weekly walking streets like in Fisherman's Village?

• Like 1

One of the many Samui beaches not lined with beach chairs....(south end of island west of Hau Thanon) ..... not all Samui is Cheong Mon, Lamai, or Chawang.... w00t.gif or parts there of......

Many beaches that are not that hard to get to, although a few need to be searched out, and are located all around Samui...

To say Samui is 25% more expensive is rubbish, it depends where one goes or stays here ! ... anyone suggesting that should go........ fly a kite! wink.png....tongue.png

photo.jpg

Edited by samuijimmy

Samui has that certain nice tropical island feeling Phuket lost many years ago. Samui has beaches without endless beach chairs and umbrellas you even have to pay for, cozy restaurants on the beaches in the evening and no high rises. No big buses full with tour groups. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Worldwide known landmarks? What about the interior? Here lush forests with millions of palm trees, many waterfalls, fruit plantations, nature only everywhere. And where on Phuket are these pleasant weekly walking streets like in Fisherman's Village?

You need to get out more and see big tour buses that run around Samui. Also the lush forests have already been cut down whats here now is just new growth and fruit farm's. As more concrete road's are being constructed into the mountains expects more of the interior to be destroyed.

You need to get out more and see big tour buses that run around Samui. Also the lush forests have already been cut down whats here now is just new growth and fruit farm's. As more concrete road's are being constructed into the mountains expects more of the interior to be destroyed.

The arguement could also be that you need to get out more. Theres loads of beauty left to see but its just further off the main roads

• Like 1

Also the lush forests have already been cut down whats here now is just new growth and fruit farm's.

post-102811-0-63652000-1363759026_thumb.

plenty of "lush forests" still

Edited by BangrakBob

Balderdash and Humbug (mostly).coffee1.gif

"You need to get out more and see big tour buses that run around Samui. "

Yes there are tour buses. Have been for years. Just a few more buses now and nothing like the numbers on Phuket (where they just drive onto the 'island')!thumbsup.gif

"lush forests have already been cut down whats here now is just new growth and fruit farm's".

I suggest a visit to one of the many opticians for you. There is still rai after rai after rai of original forest. Fruit farms? Not where I live apart from the harvesting that has been going on for the 13 years that I have lived here. (Bananas, rubber, coconuts and cashew nuts.) wai.gif

"As more concrete road's are being constructed into the mountains expects more of the interior to be destroyed."

Concrete roads - we could do with a few more. If only to let the Russiand,/Chinese/Koreans take their bus tours on. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I know that, because trekking through the forests on Samui is one of my favs. Big buses? yes there are some, but compared to Phuket I would say 1:100. Maybe you haven't noticed on Samui there are many minibuses on the streets, because easier to drive.

One of the many Samui beaches not lined with beach chairs....(south end of island west of Hau Thanon) ..... not all Samui is Cheong Mon, Lamai, or Chawang.... w00t.gif or parts there of......

Many beaches that are not that hard to get to, although a few need to be searched out, and are located all around Samui...

To say Samui is 25% more expensive is rubbish, it depends where one goes or stays here ! ... anyone suggesting that should go........ fly a kite! wink.png....tongue.png

photo.jpg

Jimmy - please do not show the trolls theses photos. They will all want to come and live here! whistling.gif

Anyway - that photo cannot be Samui. There are no groups of Russians or Chinese tourists rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Jimmy - please do not show the trolls theses photos. They will all want to come and live here! whistling.gif

Anyway - that photo cannot be Samui. There are no groups of Russians or Chinese tourists rolleyes.gif

Oh silly me ...duh!!!! .... . rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png....... I keep forgetting the troll people come with their blinkers on.... whistling.gif

As for the big buses, most of them seem to stay in Nathon and transfer people to the mini buses from what I have observed.... not a common sight to see big buses around the island... (or have I had my blinkers on? blink.png ) So Birdman is correct there...wink.png

I think it will be a long time before all the back roads are concreted, good thing too! It's so peaceful up in them there hills! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Having been to Phuket recently i'd say Phuket is possibly a little more expensive.

That's the impression I have been getting for a while too. It should however be said that the 5-6 people who I know live on Samui and have gone to Phuket as tourists so no data on living there really. Having said that, these people are not total noobs in Thailand so I would expect them to get the best value for money in any situation.

All being said, I shudder to think what would happen if Samui came to be known as a cheap alternative to Phuket!

• Like 1

and the wishlist was narrowed down to, Chaweng or Patong! blink.png gulp.

If I was to 'LIVE' anywhere it wouldn't be either of them as they are tourist places only imo, but ok for visiting while you live somewhere else, however that's a whole different question.

• Like 2

The arguement could also be that you need to get out more. Theres loads of beauty left to see but its just further off the main roads

He can't see it the lights were out.

• Like 1

Not going to quote it but the rainfall chart is quite handy! Can someone tell me just how bad rainfall is day 2nd half of January? Thinking of splitting my next holiday between Phuket and Samui.

Thanks

Not going to quote it but the rainfall chart is quite handy! Can someone tell me just how bad rainfall is day 2nd half of January? Thinking of splitting my next holiday between Phuket and Samui. Thanks

Samui weather is for the most part better at that time