Linksys Router Running Dd-Wrt In Client Mode.

Para

Not sure how many replies I will get tho this gem.

Been offered a WRT-54GL flashed with the latest DD-WRT was thinking of configuring it for client more and using that as my WiFi adapter with hi-gain aftermarket replacement antennas. Problem is I cant get my hands on the box to test the performance out twas wondering if anyone has experience of doing this?

Thanks.

Suspect after paying for hi gain antennas you would be better to invest in a new router allowing N service rather than just B/G. I have found the N a big improvement in speed and range, but admit am no expert.

Suspect after paying for hi gain antennas you would be better to invest in a new router allowing N service rather than just B/G. I have found the N a big improvement in speed and range, but admit am no expert.

A pair of hi gain's off eBay are 20USD which is pretty good.

I hear you about getting a N class but for some reason there isnt a lot of PCI ones about. Add that to the fact Thailand has disgusting internet performance. Problem is where I am staying they are using a DAP-1360 extender which really has to be the worst extender ever made. Oh its also on a timer for some really strange reason!

Was just curious about the DD-WRT as my old router was a WRT54Gv6 which didn't have enough internal memory to take even the most basic of WRT options.

DAP-1360 is an N extender.

PCI - I wonder what do you mean? You asked about the stand-alone box...

My advice - forget about WRT54GL, it definitely had it's glory days but its ancient now. There are a lot of powerful N devices on the market. One option is high powered USB N adapter, another is something like Ubiquiti NanoStation M2

My advice - forget about WRT54GL, it definitely had it's glory days but its ancient now. There are a lot of powerful N devices on the market. One option is high powered USB N adapter, another is something like Ubiquiti NanoStation M2

The DAP might be a N extender but considering its eventually connected to a 10Mbps line whats the point I might just as well have a B class right!

I have a desktop with a USB N but was simply curious as to what the DD-WRT firmware is capable of thats all. Just curious and bored.

I know the 54GL is well dated and the Ubiquiti nano leaves it standing but my mate doesn't need the the 54GL so was giving it to me for free and its already DD-WRT flashed.

If I had the spare money I would love to buy a Ruckus router to try and understand how on earth they can even begin to justify the price!

As I say its nothing more than curiosity of the firmware.

The DAP might be a N extender but considering its eventually connected to a 10Mbps line whats the point I might just as well have a B class right!

I have a desktop with a USB N but was simply curious as to what the DD-WRT firmware is capable of thats all. Just curious and bored.

I know the 54GL is well dated and the Ubiquiti nano leaves it standing but my mate doesn't need the the 54GL so was giving it to me for free and its already DD-WRT flashed.

If I had the spare money I would love to buy a Ruckus router to try and understand how on earth they can even begin to justify the price!

As I say its nothing more than curiosity of the firmware.

If internet use is what's important to you, why would you care about the local WiFi speed? The internet link will always be the bottleneck.

If internet use is what's important to you, why would you care about the local WiFi speed? The internet link will always be the bottleneck.

I have connectivity what I don't have is any working knowledge of DD-WRT or Tomato which seeems to becoming more and more popular just the way Linux is. I have over 25 years experiance of IT so I am interested in learning all things technical.

I don't NEED a router reconfigured to client mode but I do WANT to know how to do it.

Follow me?

• Like 1

I have connectivity what I don't have is any working knowledge of DD-WRT or Tomato which seeems to becoming more and more popular just the way Linux is. I have over 25 years experiance of IT so I am interested in learning all things technical.

I don't NEED a router reconfigured to client mode but I do WANT to know how to do it.

Follow me?

Go ahead. DD-WRT is fun to play with and I think a very good example of how open source can sometimes be superior to a commercial product. The WRT-54 is getting a bit long in the tooth now but it is probably the most common DD-WRT flashed device out there so it is well supported with several firmware variants. Due to it's limited RAM & Flash memory though, it won't take the bigger builds with a better feature set.

The DD-WRT forum contains a wealth of info so you can find help for almost any scenario.

I have less experience with Tomato. I've tried it though and it seems fine but prefer DD-WRT because I think that the user base is larger so better supported.

I have used a wrt54GL both with tomato and dd-wrt.

Lots.of fun to play with, but not always easy.

I needed a lot of googling to make it work as a repeater, and some things couldn't get to work at all, remember there were problems with wpa2.

However there are lots of step by step tutorials out there.

Using it as a client was not hard I remember.

I actually started playing with those firmware's as one of my wrt's had its wan port blown out by a lightning strike..The lan ports were still ok. Made the router useless with stock firmware, but in dd-wrt you can assign any of the ports to be whatever you want it to be.

So lan port 1 became WAN...

Problem solved :D

Go ahead. DD-WRT is fun to play with and I think a very good example of how open source can sometimes be superior to a commercial product. The WRT-54 is getting a bit long in the tooth now but it is probably the most common DD-WRT flashed device out there so it is well supported with several firmware variants. Due to it's limited RAM & Flash memory though, it won't take the bigger builds with a better feature set.

The DD-WRT forum contains a wealth of info so you can find help for almost any scenario.

I have less experience with Tomato. I've tried it though and it seems fine but prefer DD-WRT because I think that the user base is larger so better supported.

Ah the answer I have been waiting for!

I have been on the forums and Tomato is certainly a lot less used. I know the router is old but so what its only a learning tool!

Curious and this is the real reason I want to play. I occasionally play with WiFi pen testing I wonder how Linux presents the eth interface from the router to allow this?????

Cheers

I have used a wrt54GL both with tomato and dd-wrt.

Lots.of fun to play with, but not always easy.

I needed a lot of googling to make it work as a repeater, and some things couldn't get to work at all, remember there were problems with wpa2.

However there are lots of step by step tutorials out there.

Using it as a client was not hard I remember.

I actually started playing with those firmware's as one of my wrt's had its wan port blown out by a lightning strike..The lan ports were still ok. Made the router useless with stock firmware, but in dd-wrt you can assign any of the ports to be whatever you want it to be.

So lan port 1 became WAN...

Problem solved biggrin.png

Cheer Monty

Anything thats easy is boring and I certainly have plenty of time on my hands at the moment!

Ah the answer I have been waiting for!

I have been on the forums and Tomato is certainly a lot less used. I know the router is old but so what its only a learning tool!

Curious and this is the real reason I want to play. I occasionally play with WiFi pen testing I wonder how Linux presents the eth interface from the router to allow this?????

Cheers

I had to google "WiFi pen testing" to understand what that is. I guess you mean setting the WiFi as the WAN port so that you could, for example, nick your neighbour's WiFi and present it to your LAN as a gateway. Not that you would do that of course......

If so, yes that's no problem with DD-WRT.

Running around 5 WRT54G(L) at work and another at home.

They may be old but they are proven devices that really do work.

N may have better range and throughput but I still love the WRT.

Range can be achieved with the right antennas and 54Mbps is still more than any ISP can actually offer (internationally).

If you do want local network transfer speeds for moving large files around your own machines then yes N is much superior.

But for price and compatibility still hard to beat G.

DD-WRT vs Tomato I have used both.

DD-WRT is much more flexible, opens up a great access to the underlying linux settings, but with increased flexibility comes increased issues.

For general use I prefer Tomato, it really is tried, tested and stable.

Various versions around, RAF mod by victec is very good, currently using the VPN version to connect 2 offices.

I have a buffalo which came preinstalled with DD-WRT.

Super fast processor, loads of RAM, looked like a really promising router.

But it keeps clearing the wifi settings and setting itself as an open access relay which is a big issue.

Also caused serious issues with VOIP using SIP which were never resolved and ended up switching back to WRT54 on tomato.

I had to google "WiFi pen testing" to understand what that is. I guess you mean setting the WiFi as the WAN port so that you could, for example, nick your neighbour's WiFi and present it to your LAN as a gateway. Not that you would do that of course......

Dork I was actually referring to 'penetration testing' but didn't want to openly advertise something that is often considered hacking.

Pen Testing is simply hitting a lan/wan/wifi with various 'tools' to see what its vulnerabilities are. What you do with that information defines you as either a pen tester (ethical or white hat hacker) or a black hat hacker.

I DO NOT CONDONE OR ENCOURAGE ANY ACTIONS THAT ARE IN BREACH ON THE LAW.

Running around 5 WRT54G(L) at work and another at home.

They may be old but they are proven devices that really do work.

N may have better range and throughput but I still love the WRT.

Range can be achieved with the right antennas and 54Mbps is still more than any ISP can actually offer (internationally).

If you do want local network transfer speeds for moving large files around your own machines then yes N is much superior.

But for price and compatibility still hard to beat G.

DD-WRT vs Tomato I have used both.

DD-WRT is much more flexible, opens up a great access to the underlying linux settings, but with increased flexibility comes increased issues.

For general use I prefer Tomato, it really is tried, tested and stable.

Various versions around, RAF mod by victec is very good, currently using the VPN version to connect 2 offices.

I have a buffalo which came preinstalled with DD-WRT.

Super fast processor, loads of RAM, looked like a really promising router.

But it keeps clearing the wifi settings and setting itself as an open access relay which is a big issue.

Also caused serious issues with VOIP using SIP which were never resolved and ended up switching back to WRT54 on tomato.

The WRT54(x) has to be the most known and loved router of all time. Sure its old but they don't break!

The condo AP is less than 20m's from my computer its right outside my door. Obviously I am able to scan other AP's and thats with a crappy Belkin USB. Configuring a WTR54 with a pair of hi-gain antenna's I reckon I will be able to see AP's in Laos!

I have set up systems for people in their houses/condos with smart tv's running N routers because they need the local bandwidth. For me I'm flying solo crippled by a 10Mbps internet connection!

Excellent so you have played with both DD and tomato. All I want in the first instance is client connectivity then to learn the features so you are saying maybe try tomato first? Nothing to lose just need to get my mate to hand the router over!

Of the 5 WRT's you have don't suppose you want to sell a low version one do you? I have looked in Tukom and they are all v6 and as I understand it the higher the v number the less ram?

Dork I was actually referring to 'penetration testing' but didn't want to openly advertise something that is often considered hacking.

Pen Testing is simply hitting a lan/wan/wifi with various 'tools' to see what its vulnerabilities are. What you do with that information defines you as either a pen tester (ethical or white hat hacker) or a black hat hacker.

Yes I know, I was only kidding.

You're right about the those old Linksys WRT's being robust. Not the most powerful as a router but they have very solid radios so probably perfect for what you want to do. I've had a WRT300 kicking around for years which I flashed with DD-WRT. In client mode there is a function called Wiviz which gives a graphical view of all the networks in range even those not broadcasting their SSID. Some almost a kilometre away - and that's with the standard antennas.

Yes I know, I was only kidding.

You're right about the those old Linksys WRT's being robust. Not the most powerful as a router but they have very solid radios so probably perfect for what you want to do. I've had a WRT300 kicking around for years which I flashed with DD-WRT. In client mode there is a function called Wiviz which gives a graphical view of all the networks in range even those not broadcasting their SSID. Some almost a kilometre away - and that's with the standard antennas.

DOH! Sorry mate!

eBay are selling high gain pairs for like 20USD BTW.....

They are good stuff.

Still being sold by lots of shops, they might even still be in production.

And not so cheap either, not much change from 2K Baht!.

So if you can get one on the cheap, go for it, if you want to learn the in and outs of wireless networking, they are a good learning tool.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/linksys/wireless-g-broadband-router-wrt54gl-p001596/

They are good stuff.

Still being sold by lots of shops, they might even still be in production.

And not so cheap either, not much change from 2K Baht!.

So if you can get one on the cheap, go for it, if you want to learn the in and outs of wireless networking, they are a good learning tool.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/linksys/wireless-g-broadband-router-wrt54gl-p001596/

Thanks for the link.

I would be happy with the WRT54G doesn't have to be the GL but its finding the right version number as some of the newer ones dont have the RAM to accept flashing.