Fyi: Exit/reentry Permits

mgbcnx

What was previously a relatively quick and easy process (similar to the 90-day report) is now in the category of all-day production requiring your appearance at Immigration when they open at 8:00 a.m.

Twice during the past week or so I have tried to make application when the office opens after lunch--only to be told, "You come back eight o'clock in morning. Queue numbers fee-neesh today."

Be advised... thumbsup.gif

I was there today to have my OA visa stamp moved to my new passport and purchase a new re-entry permit. At 10:00 am they displayed a message on the tv that numbers 55 and above should come back at 13:00. I finaly got my visa transfered at about 11:00 but desk one was closed and i was told that i would have to come back tomorrow. I was there for over 4 hours counting the one hour before they opened the door and there were only nine people ahead of me in the queue for visa transfers. Just wondering why they require a 2 hour lunch.

I wonder if you can apply for the exit/reentry permit at the airport office instead of at Immigration--even though, on that particular day of application, you are not on a flight out of Chiang Mai. Has anybody tried that--just applying at the airport office instead of at Immigration down the street?

Could it possibly be that there's a loophole?

Regardless of the Immigration office's excuses--at least some of which are probably valid--the whole set-up is a disgrace...

I'm going to stop at the airport and ask about the re-entry. My wife and I are flying to Singapore direct from Chiang Mai, if I can get some assurance that I can get it there instead of the immigration office i'll do it, otherwise I guess I'll line up at the office at 06:00 to make sure i don't put my OA visa in jeopardy.

Fwiw, I went for a 30 day extension on Thursday and was met with similar chaos.

Thanks to traffic and the usual clusterf&^k of trying to find parking, I arrived about a half hour later than I usually do (but still long before they opened) and proceeded to get my number. Needed some new photos so went and got those done, then went back. When I finally got inside the center desk were calling out numbers in batches of 5-10, taking passports, and handing out new numbers. Then suddenly (I figured I'd be in the next batch of 5-10 so had moved forward) they said "everybody else" and there was a free-for-all. Thankfully I was nearby so I got handed a ticket and told "come back one".

Came back at 12:45. Chap at desk 1 saunters in around 13:20 with his iced coffee, sits down, and appears to shuffle papers for about 15 minutes before the next number pops up above him. It was 55 and I had 61, so I didn't think I'd have long to wait.

50 minutes later 61 comes up. He takes my paperwork and off it disappears. It's now 14:30. Finally got my passport back at 15:30. An hour through traffic and I'm back home - 30 days better off and $65 lighter for the privilege.

I'm not one to complain, too much. We all know they claim to be overworked and understaffed and the sheer number of people in that particular zoo any time I've been, would support this claim. But a 10 hour round trip for a 30 day extension is just pathetic. Okay if I'd woken up like a thief in the night and camped out for an earlier number in the morning, yes it probably would've been "only" a 6 hour round trip like previous visits, but that's also pathetic imho.

The icing on the cake was when 3 hapless tourists turned up at 15:00 with a barbie doll, my wife informed me "she's a tour agent from a big hotel". She got their forms for them, took their cash, and minutes later reappeared through the back door going from desk to desk and getting signatures and stamps. They were in and out in 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Having initiated this topic, I feel obliged to report the end result...

At 8:00 a.m. the doors opened; the mob surged inside; queue numbers for queue numbers were handed out. After almost an hour, the preliminary queue number was exchanged for the real thing--after I assured and reassured the desk sergeant that I was there for the exit/reentry permit only. Shortly thereafter, around 9:30, the announcement was made that queue numbers for the entire day had been exhausted. "You come back eight o'clock tomorrow." At that time, a line extended so far outside the building that I could not see its tail end. How those people got the word, I have no idea. Imagine their despair...

At 11::00 my number was called; I submitted my application for multi-entry visa and paid Bt.3800. Exactly one minute before noon (when Immigration closes for lunch) I was given my passport with multi-entry visa and stamp. Four solid hours in bedlam!

Regardless of how over-worked, overwhelmed, and under-staffed the Chiang Mai immigration office, this situation is a disgrace.

• Like 2

Went today got told to come back on monday i have 2 days to get this will try again on monday tick tick tick .

been told you have to show your boarding card i wonder if i can get it if i am on a domestic flight to bkk .

They have no right to ask for your boarding card, we are allowed a re-entry permit in case we need to leave urgently.

Everyone agrees that immigration is so difficult these days and busy. If you want to go there by yourself and you have the time, do it and don't complain. I would love to see the moderators delete complaints about people who go to immigration and do the process by themselves and complain about it. Expect it. Regardless if you have an appointment or not.

Let's face it, it might take 2-3 days to get your visa. In the US it is a goat <deleted>. Expect months of paperwork and a couple of interviews.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too, that means you can come to a nice foreign country and easily get a visa, go to Thai Visa Assist dot com and pay a tiny amount of money.

If you can't afford it you probably shouldn't be here.

Dave

I use this service and it is worth it.

I use another company, but the writing is on the wall. Pay the price (which is insignificant) and escape the gauntlet.

Not so hard, is it?

Compared to what a Thai faces trying to achieve long-term residence in the US, it's a piece of cake.

Everyone agrees that immigration is so difficult these days and busy. If you want to go there by yourself and you have the time, do it and don't complain. I would love to see the moderators delete complaints about people who go to immigration and do the process by themselves and complain about it. Expect it. Regardless if you have an appointment or not.

Let's face it, it might take 2-3 days to get your visa. In the US it is a goat <deleted>. Expect months of paperwork and a couple of interviews.

If you want to have your cake and eat it too, that means you can come to a nice foreign country and easily get a visa, go to Thai Visa Assist dot com and pay a tiny amount of money.

Dave

I use another company, but the writing is on the wall. Pay the price (which is insignificant) and escape the gauntlet.

Not so hard, is it?

Compared to what a Thai faces trying to achieve long-term residence in the US, it's a piece of cake.

Most people calculate the price to beers and it becomes a tough choice.

• Like 1

Having initiated this topic, I feel obliged to report the end result...

At 8:00 a.m. the doors opened; the mob surged inside; queue numbers for queue numbers were handed out. After almost an hour, the preliminary queue number was exchanged for the real thing--after I assured and reassured the desk sergeant that I was there for the exit/reentry permit only. Shortly thereafter, around 9:30, the announcement was made that queue numbers for the entire day had been exhausted. "You come back eight o'clock tomorrow." At that time, a line extended so far outside the building that I could not see its tail end. How those people got the word, I have no idea. Imagine their despair...

At 11::00 my number was called; I submitted my application for multi-entry visa and paid Bt.3800. Exactly one minute before noon (when Immigration closes for lunch) I was given my passport with multi-entry visa and stamp. Four solid hours in bedlam!

Regardless of how over-worked, overwhelmed, and under-staffed the Chiang Mai immigration office, this situation is a disgrace.

It doesn't surprise me you had to hang out at immigration as long as you did and you are right, it is a disgrace. The immigration officers are not over-worked. They simply take their time and process their work load as they see fit. There is no one busting a grape down there. I have had hours to observe how they work, as I sat or stood in their hot, steamy waiting room that has so many people crammed in there that you would think they were giving away free food. What is even more puzzling is the amount of Thai Visa posters who are not bothered by the chaotic immigration procedures, and how some actually look forward to meeting all the interesting people that show up there daily.

• Like 2

Dave

Huh?? Why on earth would you want the Thai Visa moderators "delete complaints about people who go to immigration and do the process by themselves and complain about it?" Shame on you Dave. That's what they do in countries like North Korea. On a positive note, you have the best American food restaurant in CM. I always look forward to going there. :-)

• Like 1

What is even more puzzling is the amount of Thai Visa posters who are not bothered by the chaotic immigration procedures, and how some actually look forward to meeting all the interesting people that show up there daily.

biggrin.png

I'm going to stop at the airport and ask about the re-entry. My wife and I are flying to Singapore direct from Chiang Mai, if I can get some assurance that I can get it there instead of the immigration office i'll do it, otherwise I guess I'll line up at the office at 06:00 to make sure i don't put my OA visa in jeopardy.

Would appreciate if you could share what you learn at the CM airport immigration office.

By the way, where is the immiGration office at CM airport?

Thanks.

Dave

Not so hard, is it?

Would you please share the name of the agency / company you use for this.

PM to me if you prefer.

Thanks.

Dave

I use the service for my 90 day as well, I also ended up using them for my re-entry permit. The difference between you and I seems to be that I don't feel free to tell others how to spend their money or decide who should be allowed to stay. I trust that most meet the financial requirements of the Thai government and need not meet yours. I am curious about one thing, I noticed your sign in the coffee shop at immigration, is it your business? If so, I would think that you have a bias toward hundreds of people sitting there every day.

• Like 1

Getting an agent is the way to go with immigration. It's the difference between anywhere from 3 hours to a whole day vs just dropping off your passport and picking it up in a few days, no crowds, no hassles. My time is far more valuable then hanging out in a waiting room all day.

• Like 2

I also agree that using an agent is the way to go. I use Thai visa assist for my extensions and also for my 90 day reports. Why go through the hassle of sitting at immigration for hours on end and sometimes being told to come back the next day.. Those of you that have been here for awhile have noticed that immigration is busier and busier over the years and I am sure will become a lot worse before it becomes better.

I find it absolutely incredible that some posters can argue....oh if you don't like Thai immigration then leave....blah de blah.

EVERYONE...regardless of what country they are in should EXPECT not to have their valuable time wasted.

EVERYONE...is entitled to efficiency...

SURE immigration processing may take a bit longer in THIRD WORLD countries were there aren't enough computers to go round...

BUT THAT AINT THAILAND.

I have said it on other threads and I will say it again here...

All 90 day reporting could be moved online in a day at a cost of no more than 15,000 THB.

All applications for a multi re entry permit could be moved online in a day at a cost of no more than 15,000 THB.

Hell, I would even volunteer to do the coding for free...

The reasons why these processes are not moved online is pure and simple...corruption.

Without face to face time with the hapless farang there is no opportunity to garner a tea money payment.

Sure some immigration processes in other countries take a long time...but that is because due dilligence is carried out on the applicant.

There is NO due dilligence here...just a pathetic mom and pop rubber stamp bureaucracy that is corrupt to its very core.

And yes...I will shut the door on my way out...when my current visa expires.

• Like 1

Last time I was at CM airport helping someone to leave the country, the desk for re-entry permits had been moved to the second floor, beyond the security checkpoint for departing internation passengers. I could be wrong, now. That was a couple months ago.

I asked why they didn't still have the desk down on the first floor across from the check-in counters and they said too many people were walking down the street from CM Immigration office to get their re-entry permits when they didn't have a trip planned that same day.

When did this company, Thai Visa Assist, come into being? I've only recently started hearing about them. Anyone know who owns it?

T

Probably CM Thai Immigration

It would be an interesting coincidence if the current burlesque dance of inefficiency* at the immigration office began about the time this visa assistance service was introduced.

T

*We now have to queue to get a number that entitles us to stand in another queue to get another number that puts us in the queue for the service we came for. The reduced parking and other changes are virtually designed to frustrate us. It's brilliant! We're all running to the service provider as if they were our saviors when they may be the very architects of our woes!

• Like 2

When did this company, Thai Visa Assist, come into being? I've only recently started hearing about them. Anyone know who owns it?

T

Probably CM Thai Immigration

It would be an interesting coincidence if the current burlesque dance of inefficiency* at the immigration office began about the time this visa assistance service was introduced.

Ah, but that would be negating all the posters, who feel that it's because of overwork.