Upgrading To Business Class - The Cheapest Way?

nisakiman

I've seen mentioned a couple of times in this forum (although I can't find the posts now) that people have bought economy class tickets, and then upgraded to business when on the plane. I seem to recollect it being said that it could be done relatively (compared to the advance purchase) cheaply. Does anyone know how (or indeed, if) this works, and what sort of price differential there is from the advance purchase of a business class ticket? When, precisely, do you ask to upgrade? At the boarding gate? As you board the plane? After you've taken off? And who and how do you pay? Is there a fare structure to cover it, or is it at the whim of the chief steward?

I'm guessing you would take a gamble on there being spare seats in business if you did this. I've never seen anyone on any of the flights I've taken doing it, so I'm wondering if it is actually possible or whether it's another urban myth.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, someone definitely mentioned about upgrading on the plane. I honestly don't know if this is in fact possible, but I thought I'd ask the question. I've upgraded at check-in before (to premium econ) but it interested me that someone said they'd upgraded to business on the plane more cheaply.

It's not something I've done (at least not paid for), but on-board upgrades are certainly available, it seems rather cheaper than doing it on booking or even at the check-in.

Google 'on-board upgrade' for some information although the websites are a bit vague as to how you actually go about it (one assumes you ask the Cabin Services Manager). http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/your_seat_on_board/world_business_class.htm#p1 simply states that 'On board the flight' is an available upgrade path.

Have a look in the Flyertalk or Flyerguide forums for discussion.

I always seem to manage to get an onboard upgrade to Business for free if I flash my million-dollar smile to the most attractive hostess and ask nicely in my best Queen's English. It usually works on the airlines I travel on. After all, if the plane is flying with those seats empty, the additional cost to the airline of upgrading you is minimal (cost of slightly better food, a couple of glasses of champers, etc.) and it's a good deal for them in view of the likelihood of turning you into a more loyal customer. Of course, being well dressed and well groomed certainly helps. A well-cut suit can earn you a plethora of free advantages.

Edited by FalangBaa

I always seem to manage to get an onboard upgrade to Business for free if I flash my million-dollar smile to the most attractive hostess and ask nicely in my best Queen's English. It usually works on the airlines I travel on. After all, if the plane is flying with those seats empty, the additional cost to the airline of upgrading you is minimal (cost of slightly better food, a couple of glasses of champers, etc.) and it's a good deal for them in view of the likelihood of turning you into a more loyal customer. Of course, being well dressed and well groomed certainly helps. A well-cut suit can earn you a plethora of free advantages.

Sure coffee1.gif

Earlier answer on first class traveling:

My 300-euro flight from Bangkok to London via Kuala Lumpur next week on a 5-star airline (Malaysian) with a 5-star plane (A380) is looking more like an excellent deal all the time. Honestly, who except someone who's obscenely wealthy or who works for a stupid company that likes to waste its (or its shareholders') money thinks it's a smart idea to fork out almost 5,000 euros to sit inside a metal tube for 12 hours when other people sitting inside the same metal tube and arriving at exactly the same time are paying only 300 euros to sit inside said metal tube for 12 hours?

• Like 2

Sure coffee1.gif

My 300-euro flight from Bangkok to London via Kuala Lumpur next week on a 5-star airline (Malaysian) with a 5-star plane (A380) is looking more like an excellent deal all the time. Honestly, who except someone who's obscenely wealthy or who works for a stupid company that likes to waste its (or its shareholders') money thinks it's a smart idea to fork out almost 5,000 euros to sit inside a metal tube for 12 hours when other people sitting inside the same metal tube and arriving at exactly the same time are paying only 300 euros to sit inside said metal tube for 12 hours?

And the Guy in a Rolls, another fool to You.clap2.gif

Many airlines offer the option to purchase an upgrade at check-in, example for TG: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/737103-listing-standby-upgrades-prices-thai.html

I honestly don't think it is possible to upgrade once on the plane, regardless of the cut of your suit. rolleyes.gif

Ground services staff manage the seating/upgrades and the like at the gate, every keystroke is recorded and audited - and they can be sacked if they are found to be circumventing the systems in place. Once the doors are closed typically only the Captain can move passengers around, if at all.

I also seriously doubt that cabin staff, like attractive air hostesses are empowered to upgrade passengers, but I would certainly like to hear more about the specifics. Obviously I might be a bit put off if I paid 6,000 Euros for a business class seat and I found out the chap next to me got upgraded from a 1,000 Euro economy seat for free.

While airline seats are a perishable commodity they are not currently marketed that way. If they were everyone would wait until the last minute to scoop up the remaining inventory. In actual fact, last minute purchases usually require the highest fare.

A related thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/582070-getting-a-free-upgrade-to-business-class/

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Many airlines offer the option to purchase an upgrade at check-in, example for TG: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/737103-listing-standby-upgrades-prices-thai.html

I honestly don't think it is possible to upgrade once on the plane, regardless of the cut of your suit. rolleyes.gif

Ground services staff manage the seating/upgrades and the like at the gate, every keystroke is recorded and audited - and they can be sacked if they are found to be circumventing the systems in place. Once the doors are closed typically only the Captain can move passengers around, if at all.

I also seriously doubt that cabin staff, like attractive air hostesses are empowered to upgrade passengers, but I would certainly like to hear more about the specifics. Obviously I might be a bit put off if I paid 6,000 Euros for a business class seat and I found out the chap next to me got upgraded from a 1,000 Euro economy seat for free.

While airline seats are a perishable commodity they are not currently marketed that way. If they were everyone would wait until the last minute to scoop up the remaining inventory. In actual fact, last minute purchases usually require the highest fare.

A related thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/582070-getting-a-free-upgrade-to-business-class/

That Flyertalk link is five years old and not relevant.

I honestly don't think it is possible to upgrade once on the plane, regardless of the cut of your suit. :rolleyes:

Updated 2009 and still not far off for LHR-BKK upgrades

http://www.thaiairways.co.uk/promotions/

Sure coffee1.gif

Well, when the person travelling First Class then arrives in Bangkok fresh as a daisy and makes a deal which earns his company (and it's shareholders) a nice few million, then maybe its worth the extra outlay...?

Just a bit more 'common sense' on a day where this seems to be lacking....

• Like 1

Yes, the first post is five years old, but perhaps you saw that there were twenty-one pages, including posts from January, 2013? Maybe not.

I guess my point was that many airlines do offer paid upgrades at check-in, particularly on-line check-in to members of the airline's FF program, and I was citing but one, single example.

http://www.thaiairways.com.au/vwm/upload/fabpics/THAI_DL_card_EC.pdf

I guess it might help if people identified potential airlines, in order to solicit experiences?

Well, when the person travelling First Class then arrives in Bangkok fresh as a daisy and makes a deal which earns his company (and it's shareholders) a nice few million, then maybe its worth the extra outlay...?

Ah that old chestnut. So if he doesn't close the deal he gets sacked? Or swims home? Edited by lomatopo

I've noticed that in the US some airlines announce that upgrades are available at discounted prices just before boarding. This is probably because economy is overbooked and it's a way to make money rather than provide free upgrades to free up space in economy.

I've not seen this in Asia - and upgrades seem to go to Gold/platinum card holders at no extra cost. I think that as the seats need to be allocated before take-off there's little chance of an upgrade after boarding.

I've used airmiles on my Thai card to 'buy' upgrades and also for flights in business - but always before the flight.

The best way to improve chances of an upgrade is to have a card for that airline with lots of miles on it. I use a Thaiairways credit card to get extra points. You also get a free upgrade voucher for First Class when you get Gold status. First is wasted on me as my ar$e is not that wide and I don't drink alcohol on flights. But business (when I can get it!) is great for working during a flight and I can save on a hotel night on business trips as I arrive in decent shape and can go direct to meetings.

Sure coffee1.gif

I know, but FalangBaa is saying he gets upgraded all the time while in an other thread he says it is not worth it and only pays 300 euros.

• Like 1

this again? As a flight attendant for over 25 years and currently a Purser on Etithad I have to say that upgrades do not happen on board just because your wearing a nice suit and flash a big smile at the young pretty stewardess. The young pretty stewardess is very junior with no authority and doesn't even work in business or first class and in fact would need to get authorized by the Purser or Flight Service Director. Believe me I've heard every imaginable story from passengers once we close the door on why they should be upgraded. Someone mentioned they were upgraded by the Captain as they knew him. That can happen but these days rarely as even the Captain would need to submit paper work on why later on. An upgrade on board can happen if there is a problem passenger or a medical emergency. But again everything is from beginning to end is now documented on flights. You csn upgrade at

I hope she wasn't writing this from the galley because it finished rather abruptly.

biggrin.png

LOL! Pretty close...pretty close!

Sure coffee1.gif

I can assure you that I always wear a suit while travelling and appear well-groomed and I have been upgraded many times. Yes, I like to travel in style and get upgrades, but I like to save my money too and always pay the minimum possible price for a flight.

this again? As a flight attendant for over 25 years and currently a Purser on Etithad I have to say that upgrades do not happen on board just because your wearing a nice suit and flash a big smile at the young pretty stewardess. The young pretty stewardess is very junior with no authority and doesn't even work in business or first class and in fact would need to get authorized by the Purser or Flight Service Director. Believe me I've heard every imaginable story from passengers once we close the door on why they should be upgraded. Someone mentioned they were upgraded by the Captain as they knew him. That can happen but these days rarely as even the Captain would need to submit paper work on why later on. An upgrade on board can happen if there is a problem passenger or a medical emergency. But again everything is from beginning to end is now documented on flights. You csn upgrade at

This is, quite frankly, a load of rubbish and if you don't even know how to spell the name of the airline (Etihad, not Etithad) I'm sure you don't work for them. I have been upgraded several times for precisely the reasons you say are impossible, but not on Etihad, which I have only ever used once.

I'm 1.85m tall and have severe knee problems when not being able to stretch them. Results in a terrible pain whenever they're bent for too long and believe me, Economy is hell on earth for me. Being a student I can't afford Business, though. Any recommendations on upgrade possibilities? I am well behaved and stuff ;P.

Well, some interesting responses. I posed the question because someone on one of the threads here stated that the cheapest way to upgrade is to wait until you are on the plane, and I wondered if that was fact or b/s.

Personally, if I could afford to fly business I would. I had the good fortune to be upgraded once on Gulf, and it was bloody great. Decent food, nice wine and lots of room. But I just can't justify paying three times the price of econ for a somewhat more comfortable flight. If it was 50% more, or even double I would consider it, but the differential is so much that only people who have enough money not to worry about spending €6 - 7K for a flight can do it. I'm not in that position, unfortunately!

As we will be looking for flights later on this year, I was wondering if there was any way of upgrading without paying such a massive premium. Hence my interest in the idea (if it was possible) of upgrading on the plane for less.

• Like 1

Well, some interesting responses. I posed the question because someone on one of the threads here stated that the cheapest way to upgrade is to wait until you are on the plane, and I wondered if that was fact or b/s.

Personally, if I could afford to fly business I would. I had the good fortune to be upgraded once on Gulf, and it was bloody great. Decent food, nice wine and lots of room. But I just can't justify paying three times the price of econ for a somewhat more comfortable flight. If it was 50% more, or even double I would consider it, but the differential is so much that only people who have enough money not to worry about spending €6 - 7K for a flight can do it. I'm not in that position, unfortunately!

As we will be looking for flights later on this year, I was wondering if there was any way of upgrading without paying such a massive premium. Hence my interest in the idea (if it was possible) of upgrading on the plane for less.

Check China airlines, they offer business class (europe- BKK) for under 2000 euros.

Check China airlines, they offer business class (europe- BKK) for under 2000 euros.

Unfortunately I fly out of Athens, and I don't think China Airlines fly there. I might check out if they fly to BKK from one of the Middle East countries, though. Might be possible to fly econ to Dubai, for instance (3 - 4 hours), and then pick up a China Airlines business from there. I'll have to do some web crawling!

Unfortunately I fly out of Athens, and I don't think China Airlines fly there. I might check out if they fly to BKK from one of the Middle East countries, though. Might be possible to fly econ to Dubai, for instance (3 - 4 hours), and then pick up a China Airlines business from there. I'll have to do some web crawling!

You should be very happy to have Athen as your starting point. Athen is one of the cheapest Airports in Europe to fly Business (booked) without asking for upgrade.

If you fly Swissair economy,its that empty the nice Lady asks you to go to Club Free to save her legs. No Joke.coffee1.gif

So it was your fault that SWISSAIR went bancrupt in 2002, or maybe the fault of that nice Lady who asked you. Please forward your and her name, flight number and date, so we can take apropriate action wink.png

• Like 1