Upgrading To Business Class - The Cheapest Way?

nisakiman

Well, some interesting responses. I posed the question because someone on one of the threads here stated that the cheapest way to upgrade is to wait until you are on the plane, and I wondered if that was fact or b/s.

Personally, if I could afford to fly business I would. I had the good fortune to be upgraded once on Gulf, and it was bloody great. Decent food, nice wine and lots of room. But I just can't justify paying three times the price of econ for a somewhat more comfortable flight. If it was 50% more, or even double I would consider it, but the differential is so much that only people who have enough money not to worry about spending €6 - 7K for a flight can do it. I'm not in that position, unfortunately!

As we will be looking for flights later on this year, I was wondering if there was any way of upgrading without paying such a massive premium. Hence my interest in the idea (if it was possible) of upgrading on the plane for less.

Check China airlines, they offer business class (europe- BKK) for under 2000 euros.

Unfortunately I fly out of Athens, and I don't think China Airlines fly there. I might check out if they fly to BKK from one of the Middle East countries, though. Might be possible to fly econ to Dubai, for instance (3 - 4 hours), and then pick up a China Airlines business from there. I'll have to do some web crawling!

You should be very happy to have Athen as your starting point. Athen is one of the cheapest Airports in Europe to fly Business (booked) without asking for upgrade.

Is that so? That business class has different price differentials from different airports? I never knew that. I had assumed it was the same wherever you flew from.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always seem to manage to get an onboard upgrade to Business for free if I flash my million-dollar smile to the most attractive hostess and ask nicely in my best Queen's English. It usually works on the airlines I travel on. After all, if the plane is flying with those seats empty, the additional cost to the airline of upgrading you is minimal (cost of slightly better food, a couple of glasses of champers, etc.) and it's a good deal for them in view of the likelihood of turning you into a more loyal customer. Of course, being well dressed and well groomed certainly helps. A well-cut suit can earn you a plethora of free advantages.

Sure coffee1.gif

Earlier answer on first class traveling:

My 300-euro flight from Bangkok to London via Kuala Lumpur next week on a 5-star airline (Malaysian) with a 5-star plane (A380) is looking more like an excellent deal all the time. Honestly, who except someone who's obscenely wealthy or who works for a stupid company that likes to waste its (or its shareholders') money thinks it's a smart idea to fork out almost 5,000 euros to sit inside a metal tube for 12 hours when other people sitting inside the same metal tube and arriving at exactly the same time are paying only 300 euros to sit inside said metal tube for 12 hours?

I can assure you that I always wear a suit while travelling and appear well-groomed and I have been upgraded many times. Yes, I like to travel in style and get upgrades, but I like to save my money too and always pay the minimum possible price for a flight.

I fly ~ 125,000 miles each year and am fortunate to fly business class (first in the U.S.) ~ 65% of the time, first class ~ 16% of the time and the remainder in Economy. I cannot honestly remember the last time I saw someone traveling in a suit? Maybe it was season 2 of Mad Men when Don and Pete flew to the west coast? biggrin.png

I've been on a Thai flight to London within the last 2 years where people have upgraded on board. No idea how much, but they did it. Whether or not the airline knew about it is another matter.

This was a single segment? How many people? Which cabins did they move from/to?

In some cases ground staff are still processing the manifest after boarding has begun and it may be that one or two pax are no-shows, in which case someone might have been wait-listed for a paid upgrade, but had already boarded. Ground staff will board the plane, find the pax and hand over the new boarding card. Alternatively, the flight might be oversold in economy, and ground staff will move (hopefully) one of the higher ranking FFP members from Economy to Business, to make room for stand-by's in Economy. If those pax have boarded then again, ground staff will come onto the plane to move pax.

That said, I have seen, and heard about, some unusual activities on TG esp. in FC. One time we waited 45 minutes for a single VIP passenger, but the Captain did keep us informed. I did not recognize this passenger when they finally boarded. I have also read some first hand reports of first class passengers being moved to business class to accommodate last minute VIPs and their retinue. Nothing more can be said of this matter but I assume the disserviced pax was reimbursed?

• Like 2

If on a short flight heading to a business meeting I can understand wearing a suit. Flying long haul in a suit is madness IMHO. For those that have made comments about it being a waste of money for a company to pay for a business flight, it is obvious you have not had to make long haul flights to attend a meeting. Most companies in my industry wil fly you business class for flights over 5 hours only. You try arriving in Houston from Singapore and go straight to a high level meeting if you have just spent the last 18hrs in an economy seat with no sleep.

To OP: In January 2012, I flew BKK-FFM and had booked economy. I have upgraded AFTER TAKE-OFF by paying approx. 700 € with my credit card to the purser (single leg). So, I hardly believe the airline doesn't know about it, as in my bank statement, Thai Airways was named.

To answer your question:

YES, you can upgrade after check-in (at least with Thai Airways) and

No, it isn't cheaper than the booking price.

Chears !

To OP: In January 2012, I flew BKK-FFM and had booked economy. I have upgraded AFTER TAKE-OFF by paying approx. 700 € with my credit card to the purser (single leg). So, I hardly believe the airline doesn't know about it, as in my bank statement, Thai Airways was named.

To answer your question:

YES, you can upgrade after check-in (at least with Thai Airways) and

No, it isn't cheaper than the booking price.

Chears !

Sorry, is FFM meant to represent Frankfurt (FRA)? If so 700 Euros seems in line with published upgrade prices.
I have seen a few references to TG selling upgrades on board. I honestly hadn’t heard about this, and it doesn’t seem to be the norm as most upgrades are paid for at check-in. Maybe for some customers who are making a connection, say XXX-BKK-FRA, there is no mechanism to sell the upgrade at check-in in XXX? The prices seem to be in line with their published rates.

post-9615-0-58753600-1363934340_thumb.jp

If on a short flight heading to a business meeting I can understand wearing a suit. Flying long haul in a suit is madness IMHO. For those that have made comments about it being a waste of money for a company to pay for a business flight, it is obvious you have not had to make long haul flights to attend a meeting. Most companies in my industry wil fly you business class for flights over 5 hours only. You try arriving in Houston from Singapore and go straight to a high level meeting if you have just spent the last 18hrs in an economy seat with no sleep.

Culturally we're all over the map on this one. Obviously we want those in control of machinery, which were it to malfunction and cause loss of life, to be very well rested - I'm thinking pilots here, but here are many other similar professions. Then again we think nothing of getting a spinal tap from a resident who's been up for 52 hours. wink.png We ask our military personnel to handle life-threatening activities over long periods of time, in uncomfortable situations with little rest or comfort.

I've worked at companies which had liberal business class air travel policies, and at companies where everyone, including the founder, CEO, President flew in economy everywhere (U.S. to India/Australia, etc.). In the case of the latter these folks closed deals, mergers and acquisitions after traveling 24 hours in economy. Honestly if you can't handle the travel, and do your job when you arrive you are a probably a bit of a p*ssy.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I have never understood why anyone would fly long haul in a suit - quite frankly it's ridiculous - if there is a meeting on arrival, then a) bad planning or B) get changed on arrival. My last BKK - LHR -BKK flight in Biz, there was no one wearing a suit, although there seemed to be a number in Economy wearing ill fitting and cheap looking suits, probably in the hope of getting upgraded. I'd rather wear something nice and comfortable, smart polo shirt, loose fitting trousers, than get dressed up in the hope of getting upgraded, and then having to sit for 12 hours in suit in Economy. I have been upgraded a number of times, and have not been dressed any differently. I fly a mixture of Biz , Econ Plus and Econ flights (now only on short haul) - long and short haul, with a few different airlines on a regular basis.

Is that so? That business class has different price differentials from
different airports? I never knew that. I had assumed it was the same
wherever you flew from.

yes, that was and still is the case but the goal posts keep shifting. here's an example (several years ago):

Frankfurt-Tokyo cost for upgrade from business to first +60% based on business price.

buying a ticket business Frankfurt-Cairo-Tokyo and get it upgraded to first in Cairo was +20%.

google "HIP" Higher Intermediate Point for more information.

Interesting how things have changed over the years. But a couple of pointers from my personal experience.

I have found having a frequent flyer card handy. If the airline has to chose between someone they will pick a person who can show they are a memeber of a loyalty program.**

Look smart (not necessarily a suit) but well presented.**

Ask. The worse they can do is say no. **

Be friendly and courteous but don't go overboard.**

Be early. I have found arriving earlier you can get some gate agents before they have been assaulted by the big push 70 minutes before a flight. **

I no longer enjoy flying and express this to the gate agents. **

Check the kind of ticket you have bought. Different codes have different meanings. L, Q, H, Y, J, F (sometimes Z, K) each relates to a different fare basis code. Full Y tickets are in some cases given a priority on any upgrades as they can sometimes be the highest fare paid for economy class. However some fares (on some airlines) such as Z class are a bottom discount fare (which in some cases clearly state - NO upgrade option) and have massive restrictions non-refundable/changeable etc. **

If you have the time, patience and flexible travel plans I have on many occasions informed the check in crew that I am available to be bumped if the flight is full. Now it does not always work in your favor but in can have its advantages. But you need to be flexible and be prepared to actually be bumped. But the airlines will help out. But I have been able to secure upgrades, future travel credits and hotel/meal vouchers etc...**

• Like 1

To Lomotopo.. (How hard is it to quote on this site now...)

I've been on a Thai flight to London within the last 2 years where people have upgraded on board. No idea how much, but they did it. Whether or not the airline knew about it is another matter.

This was a single segment? How many people? Which cabins did they move from/to?

Yes, just a girl who wanted to sit with her friend in business. The cabin crew even got a guy to move to the empty seat next to me so they could. They seemed to be going through a process, but it was all in Thai.

I have read that on Aeroflot you can bribe the cabin crew to upgrade you. The figure I saw was $200 on the BKK-Moscow route. Not an airline I plan to fly though.

Interesting how things have changed over the years. But a couple of pointers from my personal experience.

I have found having a frequent flyer card handy. If the airline has to chose between someone they will pick a person who can show they are a memeber of a loyalty program.**

Look smart (not necessarily a suit) but well presented.**

Ask. The worse they can do is say no. **

Be friendly and courteous but don't go overboard.**

Be early. I have found arriving earlier you can get some gate agents before they have been assaulted by the big push 70 minutes before a flight. **

I no longer enjoy flying and express this to the gate agents. **

Check the kind of ticket you have bought. Different codes have different meanings. L, Q, H, Y, J, F (sometimes Z, K) each relates to a different fare basis code. Full Y tickets are in some cases given a priority on any upgrades as they can sometimes be the highest fare paid for economy class. However some fares (on some airlines) such as Z class are a bottom discount fare (which in some cases clearly state - NO upgrade option) and have massive restrictions non-refundable/changeable etc. **

If you have the time, patience and flexible travel plans I have on many occasions informed the check in crew that I am available to be bumped if the flight is full. Now it does not always work in your favor but in can have its advantages. But you need to be flexible and be prepared to actually be bumped. But the airlines will help out. But I have been able to secure upgrades, future travel credits and hotel/meal vouchers etc...**

For the most part this information is computerized and an automated process (sometimes referred to as "Departure Management") begins ~ 24 hours prior to departure. This process works oversells, op ups and paid WL ups. Any agent already knows the details of your participation in the Frequent Flyer program, perhaps sliced and diced in more detail than you could imagine, so showing your FF card actually makes you look like a dork.

Agree that being aware of loads and then offering up yourself for a VDB is a decent strategy as this is a clear win-win.

• Like 1

From what I have seen lately, the cabin crew are being forced to guard even the premium economy seats like junkyard dogs. It used to be that once the cabin door closed, you could switch seats within economy without much problem. Not now that they have started charging extra for premium seats. Move yourself into a exit row and you will get chased back as if you had moved yourself into first class.

Flew Jetstar PER-SIN-BKK back and forth a few times last year.

I recall that the front/exit row seats were offered on board for a charge (can't remember how much) any time after departure.

Can anyone confirm this? Might be similar to the situation the OP is asking about.

Then again - it is Jetstar - hardly counts as business class, they are just better seats on a low cost plane

It really depends on so many things, and one event does not imply other people can do the same...

- how well booked is business class? I am currently on a BKK-ZRH waiting list for a business flight - even wanting to pay full price, because i have to fly in high season on a Sunday

- price for upgrade - if available - is depending on the booking class of your economy ticket. If you have a cheap economy ticket, then the upgrade to business will normally cost more than when you already have a higher priced economy ticket

- personal behaviour as previously mentioned is also important

- overbooked economy can lead to upgrade of the best frequent flyers

from my 30y of flying on various airlines to various overseas locations, I have to say that only rarely am I offered cheap upgrades. As soon as you ask for, the airline will charge you the standard price difference between the current booking class and then next higher booking class. Looking at Swiss... why should they offer free or cheap upgrades, when they have seat utilization of >80% and >95% in Business and First for their overseas routes?

• Like 1

If you fly Swissair economy,its that empty the nice Lady asks you to go to Club Free to save her legs. No Joke.coffee1.gif

So it was your fault that SWISSAIR went bancrupt in 2002, or maybe the fault of that nice Lady who asked you. Please forward your and her name, flight number and date, so we can take apropriate action wink.png

If you remember those days all the Food was in Aspic. Geneva to anywhere, same Jelly Stuff on Return Flight.w00t.gif

• Like 1

Read posts made by the person who works for Etihad. This is one reason I will never fly on the airline he /she works for. They are so bad that the airline took legal action to ban people posting about them on pprune. This speaks volumes as does the attitude of their staff.

Some years ago I had silver status with the company maprao doesn't want to fly with (see reply #52)

At check in economy counter I was informed I was lucky, due to overbooking economy got upgraded to business class.

When boarding they flashed my boarding card through a machine and you get the small part back, the machine creeped and creeped and I was told to hold on for a minute.

Got a new boarding card, different seat, walked into the plane and was brought to a first class seat.

Again was upgraded from biz to 1st some other time.

Nowadays I buy business class promotion tickets when I find them.

Flying that maprao no-go airline again next week out of BKK, paid business class at 73k baht (return that is)

I will eat well and sleep well, thank you.

Oh, luggage allowance 40kgs business + 15kgs status tongue.png

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 2

Sri Lankan Airlines - I bought two return business class fares BKK/LHR/BKK via CMB, travelling April return June for THB63,000.

Never tried them before, possibly not the best airline but worth a try.

When I originally booked, the flights connected in CMB with only about two hours on the ground. They have since re-scheduled and we have to overnight at their expense in CMB which is OK as I would have had to pay for a hotel in BKK in both directions. Also, they provide a limo service in the UK on arrival and departure.

The fare with the inclusions would be pretty close to an economy fare with Eva who I usually use.

So, there is no need to try for upgrades as there are business class fares out there which do not require the hassle of trying to get upgraded at the airport or on board.

Culturally we're all over the map on this one. Obviously we want those in control of machinery, which were it to malfunction and cause loss of life, to be very well rested - I'm thinking pilots here, but here are many other similar professions. Then again we think nothing of getting a spinal tap from a resident who's been up for 52 hours. wink.png We ask our military personnel to handle life-threatening activities over long periods of time, in uncomfortable situations with little rest or comfort.

I've worked at companies which had liberal business class air travel policies, and at companies where everyone, including the founder, CEO, President flew in economy everywhere (U.S. to India/Australia, etc.). In the case of the latter these folks closed deals, mergers and acquisitions after traveling 24 hours in economy. Honestly if you can't handle the travel, and do your job when you arrive you are a probably a bit of a p*ssy.

Meow

i have been upgraded a few times when i had a silver Frequent flyers on Emirates but have also been offered a upgrade for $200 AUD obviously when they wanted to resell my economy seat . They make another 1200 on the economy seat and i pay the 200 to pay for the food and champers i consume. They come out on top. I can't eat that much but it is nice the far more comfortable seat and the better headphones .Now that i am back to Blue Frequent flyers it hasn't happened again.

Also when reading about upgrades after boarding it occurred to me that this would not be that common as in the case of an airline incident/accident they would need to know where each passenger is seated so identification would be easier . Just a thought. Could be wrong of course.

• Like 1

Guess you work for the wrong companies. If I have to fly to Europe and then conduct Business I am flown a minimal of Business but normally First. My employers abide by European Health and Safety Rulings and 12 hours in economy is classed as 12 hours work and I am entitled to time off before commencing work. I appreciate in the US that money matters but in the rest of the world people come first.
I guess you really can work for the wrong companies. I get to fly Business or First AND get a day off upon arrival to get my sh!t sorted out.

But I agree with lomatopo on being a pussy if you can't do your job after a mere half-day + on a plane. I mean, if you were paying for a family outing to say Paris and you all traveled Coach, are you going to insist that the family relax in their hotel rooms for the first day because the European Health and Safety Directive states....

Well, some interesting responses. I posed the question because someone on one of the threads here stated that the cheapest way to upgrade is to wait until you are on the plane, and I wondered if that was fact or b/s.

Personally, if I could afford to fly business I would. I had the good fortune to be upgraded once on Gulf, and it was bloody great. Decent food, nice wine and lots of room. But I just can't justify paying three times the price of econ for a somewhat more comfortable flight. If it was 50% more, or even double I would consider it, but the differential is so much that only people who have enough money not to worry about spending €6 - 7K for a flight can do it. I'm not in that position, unfortunately!

As we will be looking for flights later on this year, I was wondering if there was any way of upgrading without paying such a massive premium. Hence my interest in the idea (if it was possible) of upgrading on the plane for less.

Check China airlines, they offer business class (europe- BKK) for under 2000 euros.

Unfortunately I fly out of Athens, and I don't think China Airlines fly there. I might check out if they fly to BKK from one of the Middle East countries, though. Might be possible to fly econ to Dubai, for instance (3 - 4 hours), and then pick up a China Airlines business from there. I'll have to do some web crawling!

Just plugged in a Bangkok-Athens round trip for any date in April and 30-days duration using matrix. Late April travel came up lowest cost.

Etihad came up with an option for approx US$2000 round-trip but with the warning flag that not all sectors would be the same class. Their regular, all-business round-trip fare was around US$3000. All their Abu Dhabi layovers are decent length.

Other mid-east airlines lead the pack with Egypt Air and Qatar finishing 'on the podium' so to speak.