At What Point Do You Toss In The Towel?

meatballs

After getting some mega bad news of epic proportions just after midnight last night, I reckoned I would be flying away to 'some place better' before tea time today. My wife pretty much admits that she wouldn't have blamed me if I had! However, after waking this morning, taking a long lie-in with the wife, chatting about options, followed by superb sex and a freshly cooked breakfast, it is pretty much all sorted out now. The scales have been lifted from my eyes and despite the immense proportions of the disaster, it is still really, really good here.

As they say, a change is as good as a rest. Sometimes these changes are made for you and not by you but always examine all the options and look for the upside... and the winning lottery ticket.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some may have no option tossing the towel, if their wives have anything to say about it.

Teeraaaak….what about the maid, babysitter, gardener, driver,....and my weekly medicure, pedicure, hair washing @the salon? Won’t I have to do all those myself + cooking and cleaning up after you?....mai dee mai deesmile.png

Just done money exchange ....Aud =28.44 baht.

So if you are doing a Marraige visa, that will raise it from around 12,000AUD...to about...15,000 AUD, right? ( in the bank here for 3 months prior)

Gillard just quit today and so the AUD will come back a bit i assume?

Mate ... would look seriously at the way you transfer money ...

1.00 AUD = 30.2766 THB

a minute ago.

Certainly don't use the CBA or other Aussie commercial Banks for this.

As for the other thing ...

Julia Gillard has declared Labor's leadership ructions "completely at an end" after being elected unopposed as leader following a farcical Caucus leadership spill.

Labor once again revealed its deep internal divisions as the spill, called for 4:30pm AEDT, fizzled out

following former PM Kevin Rudd's announcement that he would not run.

The Prime Minister was duly re-elected unopposed and unanimously, along with her Deputy Wayne Swan.

ABC News

Mate ... would look seriously at the way you transfer money ...

1.00 AUD = 30.2766 THB

a minute ago.

Certainly don't use the CBA or other Aussie commercial Banks for this.

As for the other thing ...

Julia Gillard has declared Labor's leadership ructions "completely at an end" after being elected unopposed as leader following a farcical Caucus leadership spill.

Labor once again revealed its deep internal divisions as the spill, called for 4:30pm AEDT, fizzled out

following former PM Kevin Rudd's announcement that he would not run.

The Prime Minister was duly re-elected unopposed and unanimously, along with her Deputy Wayne Swan.

ABC News

Thanks for that dave....I was just quoting the morning edition on gillard...

Exchange rate i got was from ANZ....bit lousy i thought, thats why i commented in post

Looking forward to my trip back to UK - will be better value

Don't count on it, I just got back from the UK last week and I found prices to be eyewateringly high in many areas, plus it never got over 6 degrees and the sky was always that wonderful shade of grey that most Brits have come to loathe over time.

I travel back around three times a year, the last time was November. Unless there has been a massive hike in prices, I think it's still pretty good value, with the stronger Baht. I got not accommodation bills, so the only expenses are going to be shopping, dining out on occasion and a few other activities.

Don't count on it, I just got back from the UK last week and I found prices to be eyewateringly high in many areas, plus it never got over 6 degrees and the sky was always that wonderful shade of grey that most Brits have come to loathe over time.

I travel back around three times a year, the last time was November. Unless there has been a massive hike in prices, I think it's still pretty good value, with the stronger Baht. I got not accommodation bills, so the only expenses are going to be shopping, dining out on occasion and a few other activities.

I had a great trip back in November, except for 80 particularly unpleasant minutes on the Saturday afternoon, and I was pleasantly surprised with the prices. I wasn't converting things back to local currency here, though. Cracking cool sunny weather as well.

SC

There's the difference between us then, I had to pay for hotels and renatl cars, those things plus restaurant costs made it an expensive trip.

There's the difference between us then, I had to pay for hotels and renatl cars, those things plus restaurant costs made it an expensive trip.

I went back in December and spent most of my time huddled up to a radiator.

I agree that there is good value to be had but there is also a lot of

crap food at inflated prices. I winced every time I bought a beer.

If I ever throw the towel in, it won't be to go back to the UK. The

only advantage would be financial as I have assets and income in

Sterling.

What goes up must come down. I think it is cheaper to live in the US today than it was 5 years ago. Certainly housing is cheaper. The US doesn't charge import duties due to trade agreements with South American and Asia, so anything imported is cheap, and much is imported now. Retailers are struggling so there are many good sales to be had. The only thing that is high is the utility end. Electricity, cell/smart phone, cable TV, internet are all expensive compared to LOS.

I am going to buy two new laptops in preparation for LOS. Here is what I find, and there are many other places to look. This is with free shipping and no sales or VAT tax. This is net, at my door with genuine Windows. Link This is cheaper than 5 years ago for the models that were out then.

If I ever have to throw in the towel I will head back to the US and go to an area that is poor by US standards if I can't afford to return to my existing home which will be leased out. I'm talking about some major international economic catastrophe, which is what it would take. I can live on my Social Security, and use my Medicare Advantage for health insurance in northern Alabama or Louisiana or Mississippi where the weather is near tropical and the people are nice IMHO.

Sigh - the endless negativity and self-doubt - might be time folk gazed at a more inspiring graph or two:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=IDR&view=10Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=MYR&view=10Y

Of course, prices have risen in both countries over the last 10 years, but I'll take what I can get. Ultimately, there's only one graph that really matters, and ironically it's the one graph where we want to see their currency getting stronger against ours:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=CNY&view=10Y

China has gone to great pains to keep the Yuan artificially weak to protect its own export markets - big flow-on impacts for everyone here when that changes.

Its worrying times for a lot of people, I see wars about to start when the S**t hits the fan, do you really think Thailand would be a good place to be when it happens here?? with their mob rule.

And before you start telling me " oh you dont have a pot to pi** in , I do and its overflowing due to my Wifes hard work, but other people are not in the same boat and I feel for them.

The world IS in a very delicate state now.

The world is in the grip of the biggest recession that the world has ever seen,it is a 10-year recession that's all!It started in 2008 and so is now reaching rock bottom,by this time next year things should look a little better and the green shoots of recovery may be poking their heads through.

Due to globalisation it doesn't matter where you go,the effects of this recession/crisis/credit crunch/depression will follow you there.You have no choice but to tighten the old belts and ride it out,Dunkirk spirit and all that,by 2018 it will be over!

After getting some mega bad news of epic proportions just after midnight last night, I reckoned I would be flying away to 'some place better' before tea time today. My wife pretty much admits that she wouldn't have blamed me if I had! However, after waking this morning, taking a long lie-in with the wife, chatting about options, followed by superb sex and a freshly cooked breakfast, it is pretty much all sorted out now. The scales have been lifted from my eyes and despite the immense proportions of the disaster, it is still really, really good here.

As they say, a change is as good as a rest. Sometimes these changes are made for you and not by you but always examine all the options and look for the upside... and the winning lottery ticket.

So bunk-ups are few and far between in your house then?whistling.gif

So if you are doing a Marraige visa, that will raise it from around 12,000AUD...to about...15,000 AUD, right? ( in the bank here for 3 months prior)

Where on earth do you get your news from?rolleyes.gif

The Exchange Rates are currently Only good if you have money in a thai Bank or are Currently working and Paid in Thai Baht.

Now is Best time if you can, to get money out of Thai Baht while it is so artificially High and exchange into home currency at a good rate.

The Bubble is About to Burst.

Highest Baht Rate in 16 years ............. Tells you something is gonna give. And I put my money on the Baht Bubble bursting just like 97'-98'

Just Sayin'

There's extensive discussion elsewhere, and the consensus is that you are as well remitting money to Thailand as foreign currency and exchanging here. I convert to US Dollars before remitting, and even with a double exchange, get a better rate than converting dirhams to baht, or ringgit to baht offshore.

SC

Anyone here have any ideas to get the best deal from malaysia ringgit to Thai baht. Just got my payment from a malaysia company..

There's extensive discussion elsewhere, and the consensus is that you are as well remitting money to Thailand as foreign currency and exchanging here. I convert to US Dollars before remitting, and even with a double exchange, get a better rate than converting dirhams to baht, or ringgit to baht offshore.

SC

I think CIMB is maybe slightly cheaper and slightly better exchange rate than HSBC, but their internet banking is not so good.

At What Point Do You Toss In The Towel?

Usually the day before we do the laundry then I can stuff it down the bottom of the laundry basket where my wife won't spot it. Or else I'll use an old sock.

• Like 2

Price inflation and loss of buying power of the dollar/Euro/pound are happening back in the homes of those currencies too, so it's not as if returning to your country of origin is going to make the problem vanish entirely and the process of returning home is likely to be expensive on its own.

The value of the baht against other currencies is somewhat cyclical. The market tends to correct over-reactions in time.

I've been buying a couple of baht of gold every time the exchange rate and local pricing seem advantageous (and I have the spare cash).No guarantee the price of gold will increase, but it's probably more likely to do so than some of the major currencies of debt-laden countries. If you accumulate enough to cover 6 months to a year of local expenses it'll give you a cushion for times when the exchange rate is abysmal and it'll probably offer a bit of inflation protection.