Holiday In Uk

hi,we are looking to visit uk for one month. my wife has uk passport and thai. i just read an article saying the E ticket system does not allow her to leave on thai passport and enter uk on uk passport. does anyone know what the crack is,has anyone travelled recently.?? this is what i am referring too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5170688/New-border-controls-could-penalise-Britons-with-dual-nationality.html i am sure someone must have travelled and will know,thank you.

hi,we are looking to visit uk for one month. my wife has uk passport and thai. i just read an article saying the E ticket system does not allow her to leave on thai passport and enter uk on uk passport. does anyone know what the crack is,has anyone travelled recently.?? this is what i am referring too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5170688/New-border-controls-could-penalise-Britons-with-dual-nationality.html i am sure someone must have travelled and will know,thank you.

I know nothing about this but I did read somewhere, the passport you leave a country with is the passport you must use to enter the destination country! sorry can't remember where I read this, but it was recently!

Edited by dogpoo

So you are concerned by a 4 year old news article ?

it is all the info i can find.that is why i asked on TV

I am sure you will be OK. I have no personal experience but I am sure friends have told me they have done what you propose.

Cannot leave & enter on different passports. I have Uk & Aussie, this used to be allowed with old style tickets but no more. I tried, as I wanted to beat the queues but was denied

i thought i could book the flight using her british passport,but go through customs here with the Thai passport.

whenever my wf.travels leave th.on thai passport enter uk on british passport,then the same coming back,uk-br.pass.th.enter thai.pass.

why do you need a passport to book tickets.

You have to quote passport details on any online purchase.

whenever my wf.travels leave th.on thai passport enter uk on british passport,then the same coming back,uk-br.pass.th.enter thai.pass.

why do you need a passport to book tickets.

Are you writing in code?

• Like 1

I took my daughter to the UK in December. Left on a Thai passport and entered the UK on a UK passport.

\

No problems and nothing to worry about.

thank you for that mad mitch,for the tickets,did you use the uk passport info??

I have always entered the Thai passport info for those airlines that ask for details. They are more likely to be pedantic on this side. You have to show both passports at check-in when exiting the UK to come back to Thailand anyway as they look for proof you can either stay in Thailand or have a ticket out again.

A lot of rubbish is spouted on this subject.

If travelling from Thailand you book the flight with you and your wife's British passport details.

The fact she has a Thai passport is of no concern to the airline.

She enters and leaves Thailand on her Thai passport. Thai immigration are not interested

on how many other passports she has.

She enters and leaves the UK on her UK passport.

End of story.

I took my daughter to the UK in December. Left on a Thai passport and entered the UK on a UK passport.

\

I have always entered the Thai passport info for those airlines that ask for details. They are more likely to be pedantic on this side. You have to show both passports at check-in when exiting the UK to come back to Thailand anyway as they look for proof you can either stay in Thailand or have a ticket out again.

Rubbish.

You do not have to show both passports nor do you need a Thai visa in your UK passport.

Have you heard about Thai visa on arrival?

As for wanting to know where you go after Thailand that is of no interest to an airline.

The airline is only interested in whether or not you have valid entry clearance for your destination. This is because if they knowingly carry you when you don't then they could be liable for the cost of returning you from whence you came plus a substantial fine ($15,000, if memory serves) should you be refused entry.

The passport produced when checking in must bear the same name as the ticket, e ticket or paper one,

My wife and daughter show their Thai passports to the airline when checking in to leave the UK and their British ones when checking in to leave Thailand; but both their passports are in the same name.

If in doubt, show both passports to the airline when checking in. If, for some reason, they are in different names then produce evidence, such as a marriage certificate, that they are both for the same person.

Obviously you should show your British passport to UK immigration when required and your Thai one to Thai immigration.

(Edit; sorry to disagree, Jay Sata, but the airline is, or should be, interested in where one goes after entering Thailand.

Briits, and certain other nationalities, do not get a Thai visa on arrival. They are allowed 30 days entry as a tourist without a visa. As I understand it, if entering Thailand for any other reason than tourism or as a tourist for longer than 30 days then Brits need to obtain the appropriate visa before departure from their current location.

Thai immigration may ask a visaless Brit for proof that they will be leaving Thailand within 30 days (it's never happened to me; but it could next time) and refuse entry if such evidence cannot be produced.

Therefore, for the reason explained above, the airline will probably want to see evidence of return or onward travel unless the passenger is a Thai national or holds a Thai visa.)

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

A lot of rubbish is spouted on this subject.

If travelling from Thailand you book the flight with you and your wife's British passport details.

The fact she has a Thai passport is of no concern to the airline.

She enters and leaves Thailand on her Thai passport. Thai immigration are not interested

on how many other passports she has.

She enters and leaves the UK on her UK passport.

End of story.

that is kind of what i thought,but heard different stories,thank you.

The airline is only interested in whether or not you have valid entry clearance for your destination. This is because if they knowingly carry you when you don't then they could be liable for the cost of returning you from whence you came plus a substantial fine ($15,000, if memory serves) should you be refused entry.

The passport produced when checking in must bear the same name as the ticket, e ticket or paper one,

My wife and daughter show their Thai passports to the airline when checking in to leave the UK and their British ones when checking in to leave Thailand; but both their passports are in the same name.

If in doubt, show both passports to the airline when checking in. If, for some reason, they are in different names then produce evidence, such as a marriage certificate, that they are both for the same person.

Obviously you should show your British passport to UK immigration when required and your Thai one to Thai immigration.

(Edit; sorry to disagree, Jay Sata, but the airline is, or should be, interested in where one goes after entering Thailand.

Briits, and certain other nationalities, do not get a Thai visa on arrival. They are allowed 30 days entry as a tourist without a visa. As I understand it, if entering Thailand for any other reason than tourism or as a tourist for longer than 30 days then Brits need to obtain the appropriate visa before departure from their current location.

Thai immigration may ask a visaless Brit for proof that they will be leaving Thailand within 30 days (it's never happened to me; but it could next time) and refuse entry if such evidence cannot be produced.

Therefore, for the reason explained above, the airline will probably want to see evidence of return or onward travel unless the passenger is a Thai national or holds a Thai visa.)

hi,i am on a spouse visa,and will have a re entry with it. thank you for your time.

\

Rubbish.

You do not have to show both passports nor do you need a Thai visa in your UK passport.

Have you heard about Thai visa on arrival?

As for wanting to know where you go after Thailand that is of no interest to an airline.

Last time I flew from the UK with my dual passport daughter, the airline asked to see a Thai visa for my daughter. No visa of course but they checked the Thai passport.

I am not saying that every airline will do this but there are many stories on TV about airlines requiring a return flight ticket before allowing a passenger on a plane. 7by7 has explained the reasoning this quite succinctly.

Edited by madmitch

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has Thai passport in Thai maiden name and UK passport in married name, when entering and leaving Thailand she uses Thai passport, but has to show UK passport at check in to show airline she has permission to enter UK, airline ticket booked in Thai name, British airways in the past have put both names on boarding pass.