Caught Drink Driving In Thailand And Put In Prison

Todd1985

Hi I got done on the 30 th of December 2012, blew .200, yes I know very high but I had just sculled a beef 2 minutes before hand every body knows you have to wait 20 mins to allow for the alchol in your mouth to go but the police officer did not not care, I got put in the lock up and a friend of mine who is highly connected come down with a police friend bailed me out 30000 baht and they kept my passport. I was told I had to court on Monday the first because the court wasn't open until then so I carried on as usaul and went to court with the police man, head said you will just pay fine and go I thought sweet, once it was my turn to be sentenced the judge layed down my punishment in Thai and I could see in the police mans face it was no good, 32 days in pattaya special prison, I don't need to explain how bad it is in fact I'm sick of explaining it to my friends. I went there stayed in the worst conditions known to man, after 2 days tgs police man and a good mate bailed me out 50000 baht I was happy and very smelly lol. I asked the policeman can I go home nor because I was ment to go to work on the night I went to prison, he said no you have to wait until your prison sentence is up, I thought this is getting nasty I work oil and gas and they won't like this, anyway let them know they said its out of your control, after the prison sentence we went to the provincial court with the police man and he talked to clerks and the judge said no you can't go home for maybe 6 or so months, I was like what the, finally after doing some business with high up people he agreed to let me go home for a month he gave me letter saying I have to return on 15 of march to go to court to check in on the 18, he gave me another letter saying I can go home for 6 months this time, when I went through customs I showed the letter and asked them am I black listed he said yes but you can come in with this letter, I asked when will it stop he said when judge takes it of. I have heard once your on that lists its for ever is this true or is it just a temp thing wondering if I'm on a good behaviour bond because at the start he didn't want me to leave. I'm also worried when this is all finished I will be deported and black listed nobody I knows has heard of such harsh punishment for a DUI not involving a accident. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the responders would take it if the shoe was on the other foot, you bunch of self righteous gits. Yeah yeah we all know DUI is bad. Give the guy a break and help answer his question instead of reading him the riot act. If ya all want blood goto Saudi Arabia where you can get a front row seat for a multitude of punishments.

I wonder how you would think about the OP, if you had attended funerals of friends and family members who were killed by drunken idiots in cars??? I am unfortunate to have had to attend such funerals twice...

I wouldn't condone and don't think much of the OP's actions. However I don't see fit to rub salt in the wound either. Not everyone is blessed with the foresight and gumption you clearly have in order to never ever make a mistake in life.

My gripe is the general bandwagon of the majority of responders and the hang em high brigade.

Does the OP deserve a response to his question or not?

To be honest, while I'm with you rubbing salt into the wound, avoiding a blacklisting and deportation isn't something most mere mortals can help with.

Edited by samran

My advice go to one of the more expensive and reliable law firms they will be able to help you more then on this forum. Just remember if you have assets here its better to know what is going to happen instead of getting cut off.

• Like 1

I wonder how the responders would take it if the shoe was on the other foot, you bunch of self righteous gits. Yeah yeah we all know DUI is bad. Give the guy a break and help answer his question instead of reading him the riot act. If ya all want blood goto Saudi Arabia where you can get a front row seat for a multitude of punishments.

I wonder how you would think about the OP, if you had attended funerals of friends and family members who were killed by drunken idiots in cars??? I am unfortunate to have had to attend such funerals twice...

I wouldn't condone and don't think much of the OP's actions. However I don't see fit to rub salt in the wound either. Not everyone is blessed with the foresight and gumption you clearly have in order to never ever make a mistake in life.

My gripe is the general bandwagon of the majority of responders and the hang em high brigade.

Does the OP deserve a response to his question or not?

First, I have many many mistakes in my life, but I was never selfish and stupid enough to endanger other people's life for my own enjoyment - i.e. driving around drunk.

Second, as others said, the OP does not care about possible results of his action and thus deserves some bashing, might make him think about what he did.

Third, I am in no position to give him any advice as I have no high connected friends. But since he and his "friends" are already messing around and throwing money around, be better take a lawyer and await the outcome and take what he gets and stop having self-pity.

On a side note, I read that Lindsay Lohan has dropped Thailand from her vacation plans.

I don't find making jokes at the expense of sick people the slightest bit funny.

Time of the month is it Johnniey?

Man, you really paid all that cash for drink driving in Thailand? Wow, that sucks. of course you shouldn't drink and drive, of course. But really it should be like 15,000 maximum. Everyone here is on there moral high horse, of course they are. Jail time as well. The judge clearly hadn't been bribed enough that week. Gutted.

• Like 1

On a side note, I read that Lindsay Lohan has dropped Thailand from her vacation plans.

I don't find making jokes at the expense of sick people the slightest bit funny.

Time of the month is it Johnniey?

Man, you really paid all that cash for drink driving in Thailand? Wow, that sucks. of course you shouldn't drink and drive, of course. But really it should be like 15,000 maximum. Everyone here is on there moral high horse, of course they are. Jail time as well. The judge clearly hadn't been bribed enough that week. Gutted.

On the contrary, I think he got made an example of because he tried to use some "highly-connected person" to get him off the hook. Serves him right, eh?

• Like 1

A friend got caught in Lardprao driving under the influnce on a Saturday. He hit 260 whatever that means. It was his second offence, bail cost 20,000 Baht, and on Monday in Court he was fined 5,000 and ordered to do 30 or 35 hours community service. Told if he gets caught again it will mean time in jail.

Seems very harsh. Todd, is this your first offense?

I wouldn't worry about getting blacklisted. Usually, it's community service and small fine. I think "they" are just trying to scare you.

Was it a car or a motorbike or what? I was arrested once drunk riding a bicycle which I thought ridiculous.

Edited by Neeranam

The OP should ask himself what would have happened in his home country and then ask himself why we should give a toss about his problem. You should never drink and drive no matter where you are in the world, maybe you should just suck it up and get on with your life knowing nobody got hurt THIS TIME.

• Like 1

GarryP, on 22 Mar 2013 - 12:48, said:

A friend got caught in Lardprao driving under the influnce on a Saturday. He hit 260 whatever that means. It was his second offence, bail cost 20,000 Baht, and on Monday in Court he was fined 5,000 and ordered to do 30 or 35 hours community service. Told if he gets caught again it will mean time in jail.

I know a guy who was done recently driving a car drunk and stoned. He was caught with a small amount of ganja too - second offense. 20,000 baht and community service which he knows how to avoid.

I know quite a few who got 'let off' with a lot worse than this.

It's always wise to carry a decent amount of cash around with you at all times. The secret is not to let it go to court, if you know what I mean.

• Like 2